Trouble in Europe -- Credit Card with no chip?

schwabby

We will be sailing to Ireland, Scotland, and Norway this summer. Someone told me you must have a credit card with a chip to use in some of these places and that this requirement started this year. Can anyone who has cruised or visited these countries this year if they found it to be a problem if they had no chip in their credit card. My two credit card companies say they don't issue cards with chips yet. I really don't want to take out another credit card.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Schwabby

There have been lengthy discussions about this issue on the Ports of Call boards for Northern Europe and the Mediterranean for several years now.

All of Europe (actually all of the rest of the world other than the US) has been moving toward chip-and-pin technology for the last several years. Usage seems to have progressed more rapidly in Northern Europe and England than in the Mediterranean.

Yes, there have been people who've reported problems not having a chipped card. It used to mainly be a problem at self-serve kiosks (e.g., ticket machines at stations, gas pumps, etc.) but now an increasing number of other places are saying they are unable to complete transactions with credit cards that only have a magnetic stripe for swiping.

If you do much of your travel independently (e.g., not taking ship tours), I'd recommend you consider getting a new card with a chip. There are two kinds:

Chip and signature: Some US companies are touting these; while they seem to work fine for manned transactions, they still do not work for unmanned ones.

Chip and pin: If you're going to get a new card, get one that is chip and pin. It can be used for manned or unmanned transactions. However, they are hard to find in the US.

Note: Some banks will try to tell you they have a chip and pin card when it is really chip and signature only. Or worse yet, it will have a chip and also a pin (but not the kind of pin needed to complete this kind of transaction; instead, it's the kind you need to withdraw money from an ATM).

Be sure you are 100% confident which you are getting!

Here's a link to a recent discussion on the boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028909

Had no problems on my recent Europe/Scandinavia/Baltics cruise. Didn't use kiosks, though. Stores gladly accepted non-PIN card. They just wanted the sale!

While that may have been your experience, others have reported problems and there is no reason to doubt them. I suppose it depends on the store, the staff, and as you say how eager they are for the sale.

We will be sailing to Ireland, Scotland, and Norway this summer. Someone told me you must have a credit card with a chip to use in some of these places and that this requirement started this year. Can anyone who has cruised or visited these countries this year if they found it to be a problem if they had no chip in their credit card. My two credit card companies say they don't issue cards with chips yet. I really don't want to take out another credit card.

Schwabby

I just called capital one visa and Barclaycard visa: they both said there should be no problems using the cards without a chip. In the event the card did not swipe the merchant can punch in the number manually.

Last summer we had no problems using Visa cards without the chip technology.

Parts of Europe are progressing rapidly to a non-cash society. I cruised to Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in 2013 and NEVER used paper money once.

I chip and pin 90% of the time whether debit or credit card.

The only country that still uses cash a lot is Germany but all their cc and dc transactions are chip and pin.

Annie

I just called capital one visa and Barclaycard visa: they both said there should be no problems using the cards without a chip. In the event the card did not swipe the merchant can punch in the number manually.

Last summer we had no problems using Visa cards without the chip technology.

Again, if you are attempting to use the card at an automated machine without an attendant, you MAY have a problem.

Two upscale restaurants in London suburbs refused non-chip credit cards in October 2013. All self service points, vending machines, subway/metro ticket machines, gas pumps, etc. will only accept chip cards.

Make sure your ATM card has a 4 digit code - longer ones do not work in Europe. Because of the chip requirement, you should carry a fair amount of local currency if you do not have chip credit card.o

Make sure your ATM card has a 4 digit code - longer ones do not work in Europe. Because of the chip requirement, you should carry a fair amount of local currency if you do not have chip credit card.o

I have a chip and pin card with a 5-digit code. It has been used extensively in all parts of Europe for both withdrawals at ATM's and purchases in restaurants, hotels and shops.

We are in Europe now (France) and 3 weeks ago finished a 25 day TA/British Isle cruise. Use of non Chip/PIN is truly hit and miss in most places and nearly always a miss in various vending machines like train ticket machines, gas pumps, parking garages, etc. My advice is get some Euros (we prefer using ATMs) to carry just in case your credit card is not accepted. In France we do find that the US magnetic strip cards are still OK at most restaurants and hotels, but in some other countries like Belgium they are less accepted,

Hank

I have a chip and pin card with a 5-digit code. It has been used extensively in all parts of Europe for both withdrawals at ATM's and purchases in restaurants, hotels and shops.

I am very surprised a 5-digit code worked for you, however, my time is spent mainly in the UK, and 4-digits has become the requirement. Perhaps things have changed since you were last there.

Hi

the very first time I need the PIN was 3 years ago.

I had a real problem in Spain (especially Barcelona), no place I would like to use my creditcard worked without 4 digit PIN.

I never needed my PIN before - and that was just our embarcation port!

Rome was difficult too.

OK - I did not know my PIN - I know I had one and I know where I stored it.... at home.

My luck that my travel companion knows his PIN.

Now I am prepared.

I was not in real trouble because in Europe Maestro is very common - so if I was not able to pay with credit card I was able to get as much cash as I want from every ATM.

We were told it is to fight against credit card fraud.

Wendy

Schwabby

Just spent 3 plus weeks in Europe and had no issues whatsoever. Used AMEX, Visa, and MasterCharge cards without chips without any questions. Used our bank debit card to get cash and again no problems. Kiosks might have been an issue but we didn't use one so PIN chip problems. We used our cards at restaurants, shops, and for hotels.

Edited by Randyk47

Chip cards with pin are quite prominent in Canada.

I agree with cruisemom42.

Interesting to note, our bank recently advised to make sure that our chip and pin cards were in good working order as they will be required for travelling.

in fact, I ordered a new one to make sure there would be no issues.

For anyone cruising to Canada the chip and pin cards are the norm.

Hi Sapper! Enjoyed meeting you on the Zuiderdam!

Yes, we experienced this at the Montreal subway a couple of years ago. Had to walk over to a nearby ATM and pull C$ in order to get a ticket.

Before it is inferred that Europe has evolved to a superior credit card system, I would like to point out their downside. With chip and pin the burden of fraud has now been shifted to the consumer. The attitude is that their security is "perfect" and so if there is any fraud the it is because the consumer shared their PIN with other people. Never mind that the banking system also knows your PIN and clever people can copy your PIN as you type it.

So, too bad for you if a fraudulent charge appears on your credit card bill!

igraf

There have been lengthy discussions about this issue on the Ports of Call boards for Northern Europe and the Mediterranean for several years now.

All of Europe (actually all of the rest of the world other than the US) has been moving toward chip-and-pin technology for the last several years. Usage seems to have progressed more rapidly in Northern Europe and England than in the Mediterranean.

Before it is inferred that Europe has evolved to a superior credit card system, I would like to point out their downside. With chip and pin the burden of fraud has now been shifted to the consumer. The attitude is that their security is "perfect" and so if there is any fraud the it is because the consumer shared their PIN with other people. Never mind that the banking system also knows your PIN and clever people can copy your PIN as you type it.

igraf

No-one is inferring anything.

When I travel to the USA, I follow US conventions.

Esp in Scandinavia, they hardly ever use cash.

We are just advising -be aware.

One upside is that cash carrying requirements are diminished.

Annie

The manned train ticket windows in the Amsterdam Airport and the Copenhagen Airport would NOT take our non-chip US credit card. Neither would the machines (but that wasn't a surprise.) Both locations had ATMs nearby to get the correct currency.

Otherwise, the stores and restaurants all accepted them.

igraf

Well, I do think it is superior security system, and it has been in operation in the UK for many years and in Canada for about 4 or 5, I think. Anything that gives you a little added protection is fine with me. I'm surprised the U.S. is so far behind.

All of Australia will be chip and pin from 1st August. There is an interesting thread over in River Cruising.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050255

Apparently visitors will still be able to use their non chip cards (don't know for how long though). I cannot remember when I last signed for a transaction. Probably 12 months ago in the US.

We have more and more self service check outs. Our biggest supermarkets have more self service checkouts than manned, KMart have some self service check outs, all parking garages are self service.

If you can get a "true" chip and pin I would go for it. I think the writing is on the wall.

Well' date=' I do think it is superior security system, and it has been in operation in the UK for many years and in Canada for about 4 or 5, I think. Anything that gives you a little added protection is fine with me. I'm surprised the U.S. is so far behind.[/quote']

Back around 2003 our son and his wlfe lived and worked in the US for 2 years. The US were at least 5 -8 years behind us with their banking system then.