Oasis Flight Dilemmas

My DS (21) & I are on the Oasis 7-5-14 cruise. I am an experienced cruiser and normally fly in the day before the cruise. However, I wanted to avoid 7-4 travel and enjoy a family function that day. So I booked the 1st flight out (7:00 am - AirTran from ATL) on the day of the cruise. GASP... I know- no flames please. If my flight is delayed, there are 3 more which I could try to get on and make it to the ship...this was my hubby's point. I've got insurance, but now I'm wondering if I should just forget the 7-4 activities and fly out the day before. I keep going back and forth about this. Anyone fly in same day recently, if so, what was your experience?

With all the inbound dilemma, I thought that I would balance things out by booking the fight home at 1:15 PM (AirTran out of FLL). However, we plan to self disembark ASAP (6:30 am) so that puts us waiting at the airport for hours. Ughhh. Should I change to the 9:30 or 10:30 flight or keep what I have and try to get on an earlier flight at the airport? Those who have self disembarked Oasis lately, what has been your experience?

Thank you!

My DS (21) & I are on the Oasis 7-5-14 cruise. I am an experienced cruiser and normally fly in the day before the cruise. However, I wanted to avoid 7-4 travel and enjoy a family function that day. So I booked the 1st flight out (7:00 am - AirTran from ATL) on the day of the cruise. GASP... I know- no flames please. If my flight is delayed, there are 3 more which I could try to get on and make it to the ship...this was my hubby's point. I've got insurance, but now I'm wondering if I should just forget the 7-4 activities and fly out the day before. I keep going back and forth about this. Anyone fly in same day recently, if so, what was your experience?

With all the inbound dilemma, I thought that I would balance things out by booking the fight home at 1:15 PM (AirTran out of FLL). However, we plan to self disembark ASAP (6:30 am) so that puts us waiting at the airport for hours. Ughhh. Should I change to the 9:30 or 10:30 flight or keep what I have and try to get on an earlier flight at the airport? Those who have self disembarked Oasis lately, what has been your experience?

Thank you!

Fly in the day before, no mater how many flights are available it is possible for the airport closing for many reasons. Your 9:30 flight should be ok. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Thank you!

Are there any flights on 7-4 that leave in the evening or night after your family function? Personally, I would always fly out the day before.

Hi Masspector - the family function is one of those kinds where they say to show up at 2, but it doesn't start until 4 also it's far from the airport. So, no way to attend if I fly out on 7-4. I can get on a flight at 2 PM & forgo the function. Thank you!!

We nearly always fly in a day early, and that will be the recommendation of most folks on these boards. That said, we know there are many cruisers who successfully fly in the same day. If one is going to fly in the same day, you seem to have made prudent choices (early flight, nonstop, airline with alternative departures, airport close to port, outside snow/ice season). Only over thing you could do to mitigate risk would be to take only carry on bags (saves luggage time and may place you in better stead for flying standby if forced to do so). Of course there is risk that airport could close or your flight could be cancelled (or severely delayed) with no standby space on later flights. With everything you have done correctly, that is a relatively small risk. Even flying in the day before involves a small risk (the airport could close that day instead, that flight could be cancelled instead without standby space on alternative flights....though if you knew that perhaps then you could drive all the way from GA to S FL.). I'd say if the family event is important to you, enjoy your family on the holiday and accept the limited risk of flying in same day.

If you do self disembarkation, you could make the earlier flight. alternatively, if you keep your later flight time, perhaps sleep in a little, enjoy a nice breakfast and get off the ship later [ If you are really light packers (carry on only), you won't slow down the line, as others will have small bags in tow, too. if you have a bigger bag, fill it with dirty clothes and tag it and leave it out the night before.]

The last 4 trips we have taken over 2 years have had delays leaving out of Chicago. We always leave for a cruise 1 day early, not risking missing the boat. Our last trip 1 month ago was delayed 1 1/2 hours because of thunder storms, then we finally boarded the plane taxied out, then the plane went back to the gate and the fire department came on and took an elderly couple off because of medical problems. 2 1/2 hours later we were finally on our way.

Can you book through Choice Air? I always fly in the day before just to be safe but I am looking at a cruise in April and am thinking about flying in the day of and booking through them. I know it is not a guarantee it may be an option for you.

Hi.

We self disembarked one week ago today from the Oasis. We left the ship at 7:00 and it took a little over an hour to clear customs. There were only 2 to 3 customs agents at any one time for 6000 passengers. The line went all the way through the terminal and it only got worse when passengers started to claim their luggage around 7:30.

I don't know if that is the usual number of agents for the Oasis or if some were missing that day. However, if you do decide to move to an earlier flight, you definitely need to be off the ship as soon as disembarkation starts.

We flew out on Southwest and the lines were already long by the time we got to the airport at 8:30/8:45.

Good luck.

Thank you!

Flight to FFL

• You MUST be checked in and on board the flight 90 minute before the ship's departing time stated on the itinerary. RCCL's website actually states : All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail. Therefore you have to be on board the Oasis not later than 3:30PM.
  • There is only one other flight from ATL on 7/5 that you have a chance of arriving in enough time and that is 10:35 AM non stop arriving at 12:30 pm. The 10:50 AM flight is a connecting flight that arrives FFL at 2:30 PM provided everything goes as scheduled and at that this flight is risky both based on time and the fact that there is only one seat available. So not certain how you figure you have 3 other flight options on Air Trans unless of course you're thinking of paying last minute prices for other airlines.
  • My personal experience with Air Trans is that delays are more frequent than not but again that's my experience.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you everyone! I changed my inbound flight to arrive the day before the cruise. Attending the family event is not worth missing the cruise due to things I have no control over ( i.e. delays, luggage issues or weather). Whew...I can breath now. Just gotta find a FLL hotel. Seams like the planning never ends, but that's part of the fun!

Prices have gone up for the early demarkation flights, so I will keep 1:00 PM. I booked with southwest so there is no change fee to get an earlier flight at the airport. I just gotta pay the difference of the flight if it's still more.

Yae...Let the countdown begin. Oasis here we come AGAIN ( 2nd time on this ship)!!!!

Thank you!

Hi there!

Actually we have flown on July 4. It was great...because the airport was quiet, no rush, no mobs, no big lines.....everyone was probably at the beach or the BBQ!;) So go for it and relax!

Ourselves, flying in from the West Coast, we will always come in 1 to 2 days early. Last Sept for our Coastal, a lady was flying in from Toronto to Vancouver the same day as our cruise, which departed at 4:30 PM, her flight didn't arrive until 2:30 PM with a 25 to 30 min drive to the terminal. She had the good fortune of paying for Transfers. They boarded the ship at 3:45, well past the deadline. We also had a lady coming in from AL the sameday, we convinced her to come in a day early.

LuxuryCruise2, great, now you can relax. :-)

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I came off the Oasis a few weeks ago and I was very disappointed with the customs line. For some reason they only have 3-4 windows open for the 1000's getting off. By the time we were at the front of the customs line (did the first baggage time at 7:45), the lines was snaking through all the weaves (about as bad a Disneyland line). Got to the airport via private taxi to the Jet Blue check in counter at 9:30am (for my 11:30am flight) after first walking off the ship at 7:45am--- way too long of a process but probably not due to RCCL unless they can't/won't order more customs officers.

Edited by Oren

I came off the Oasis a few weeks ago and I was very disappointed with the customs line. For some reason they only have 3-4 windows open for the 1000's getting off. By the time we were at the front of the customs line (did the first baggage time at 7:45), the lines was snaking through all the weaves (about as bad a Disneyland line). Got to the airport via private taxi to the Jet Blue check in counter at 9:30am (for my 11:30am flight) after first walking off the ship at 7:45am--- way too long of a process but probably not due to RCCL unless they can't/won't order more customs officers.

Just a note: Royal Caribbean has no control over how many Customs agents are available. With all the recent budget cutbacks and elimination of overtime for government employees, only having 3-4 agents is the norm now.

Edited by Eng23

Just gotta find a FLL hotel. Seams like the planning never ends, but that's part of the fun!

Since you will be there on July 4th, I'd suggest looking at one of the hotels either on or close to either the Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood beaches, as both will have fireworks that night, or consider a taxi (may take a while afterward) or car rental (just find parking early). If you choose to walk the usual hotels near the port would be anywhere from a 1 to 2 mile walk to where you could see the fireworks from, all depending on hotel and how close you want to get.

Hollywood Beach itself is a neat, different experience with a miles long board (well, asphalt) walk with lots of small restaurants and mom and pop hotels, along with a few major brands (just read the tripadvisor reviews before you book). Most places would be within a mile walk of a good viewing location.

And don't forget your camera - getting good fireworks photos can be really neat.

Have fun regardless - we're on the Oasis (first time!) a month after you.

As for flying in the day of, we did that last year all the way from Seattle. It was actually a red eye and a direct flight. Our biggest problem was we got into the airport in Ft Lauderdale too early. No issues. Figured if we missed the ship we would pick it up in Nassau the next day.

But if you are not comfortable, fly in the day before.

Thank you everyone! I changed my inbound flight to arrive the day before the cruise. Attending the family event is not worth missing the cruise due to things I have no control over ( i.e. delays, luggage issues or weather). Whew...I can breath now. Just gotta find a FLL hotel. Seams like the planning never ends, but that's part of the fun!

Prices have gone up for the early demarkation flights, so I will keep 1:00 PM. I booked with southwest so there is no change fee to get an earlier flight at the airport. I just gotta pay the difference of the flight if it's still more.

Yae...Let the countdown begin. Oasis here we come AGAIN ( 2nd time on this ship)!!!!

Good to hear it! Now you can begin your vacation the moment the wheels touch down in FLL the day before!

As for the 1:00 departure...sleep a bit later on Saturday morning. Have breakfast. Mosey on down to customs, get to the airport around 10:30....have another breakfast:D

Edited by Wilda

We always fly in the day of the cruise. My DH hates staying in hotels and spending the extra money and time off from work to fly the day before (we have done this a couple of times).

We use the self debarkation and get to the airport early and usually have to wait a few hours to catch our plane back home but this fall we have a 9:00 a.m. flight, so we are leaving the Allure as early as possible 6:30 a.m., hopefully, and back home by 10:30 a.m.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!

Why not just stay on the ship a little longer? If the flight is 1:15 there is no need to be hurrying to the airport at some ungodly hour in the morning