A Comment About Kids

Twocoasts

This says it all. Oceania is telling everyone that they DO NOT want kids on their ships. Very simple. :):)

Well, not exactly. I think people read into these things what they want it to be.

I have no dog in this hunt, no kids, no grandkids etc. I don't care either way if people bring their kids or not.

What they are telling people is that "we have no programs for your children" but "we'll be happy to take your money for their passage" also that "we are set up for adults.

It's pretty simple, no where does it say that children are not allowed, and it is adults only. I know there are quite a few people would like that, but it ain't so.

Well, not exactly. I think people read into these things what they want it to be.

Well said. There's no hostility to children in this statement. They say the are fine as passengers as long as their custodians understand entertaining and supervising them is their responsibility, not the ship's.

This says it all. Oceania is telling everyone that they DO NOT want kids on their ships. Very simple. :):)

Frankly, that will never be the message as long as Mr. Del Rio has grandchildren and Mr. Kumlani has children. FDR has stated just that.

The message seems pretty unambiguous; kids are allowed, but not encouraged. If people bring kids, they are responsible for their behavior. It MIGHT be nice to clarify common sense, but one would hope that wouldn't be necessary.

Frankly, that will never be the message as long as Mr. Del Rio has grandchildren and Mr. Kumlani has children. FDR has stated just that.

Not quite sure about that. The Oceania brand has been built with a lot of success as a place for adults to cruise. I don't think they want to change that. Think about someone who owns a liquor store. He wouldn't want his grand kids or children sampling the product. :):)

Not quite sure about that. The Oceania brand has been built with a lot of success as a place for adults to cruise. I don't think they want to change that. Think about someone who owns a liquor store. He wouldn't want his grand kids or children sampling the product. :):)

Just not sure I get the Liquor store versus Cruise Line analogy - but I agree both are addictive

Edited by OzAbroad

Just not sure I get the Liquor store versus Cruise Line analogy - but I agree both are addictive

It's just a question weather they belong going everywhere you go. Some people think it's O.K. to take them to the local bar as long as they don't drink. I do not think they belong at that kind of place.

I am sure -- I'm paraphrasing Mr. Del Rio. His quote was more nearly, "As long as I have grandchildren, kids will be allowed on Oceania." He posted it here a few years ago, and I have heard it directly from him.

One of the downfalls of Renaissance cruises, put in place by it's owner, was they were strictly adults only. FDR learned from that experience when he was Co-CEO of Ren.

One of the downfalls of Renaissance cruises, put in place by it's owner, was they were strictly adults only. FDR learned from that experience when he was Co-CEO of Ren.

another is that they did not use travel agents

Back then the internet was not as popular as it is today

Let's not forget 9/11 and the subsequent peoples' reluctance to travel along with the poor timing of their expansion with new ships

Agree, it was not the Adults Only that put them under.

Cruising on R was a wonderful experience similar to the current R ship experience despite the two smoking areas and some, hopefully not, children.

For us, the ban on children was a big plus. We always felt their biggest error was in building too many ships too fast ... plus the bad timing in being due to meet with the bankers on 9/12/01. That sealed the deal.

Ren was also planning on moving from no smoking period to the situation we have on Oceania.

Mura

I have no dog in this hunt, no kids, no grandkids etc. I don't care either way if people bring their kids or not.

What they are telling people is that "we have no programs for your children" but "we'll be happy to take your money for their passage" also that "we are set up for adults.

It's pretty simple, no where does it say that children are not allowed, and it is adults only. I know there are quite a few people would like that, but it ain't so.

That is exactly what they are saying. Not once have they ever said, "kids are not welcome, don't bring them", they simply warn, "there are no programs for kids". Parents can bring plenty of things for their kids to do while on the ship. You know, some kids actually like to read over video games?

When I was 5, if I acted up in a restaurant, or anywhere for that matter, the way I see kids act up today, I would have been in a world of hurt. That type of behavior was not tolerated. It's unfair to label all children as unruly, out of control, and undisciplined, and it's also unfair to believe that no kid would enjoy fine dining. When I was little, I LOVED fine dining.

It IS possible for someone to be so young and still be very well behaved, and love the elegant or finer atmosphere. As with adults, children should be regarded on a case by case basis, not lumped all together as nothing but annoying, loud, screaming creatures. That's not even reality.

Wow. Tough crowd on this subject. I wouldn't bring kids on O because there are so many other cruise lines where they would have a great time and be able to see the world. Lighten up folks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed on the Nautica earlier this summer and there were a handful of kids on board. A couple of little ones, a few elementary or early middle school age, maybe a couple of teenagers. (No, my children were not among those on board.) Not once did I see a child misbehave, throw a tantrum, cry, etc. Every child I saw was extremely well behaved and appeared to be having a good time....a couple of kids with their parents having a nice family conversation, a (presumed) brother/sister duo enjoying a game of table tennis, not yelling or running around, just quietly playing a friendly (i.e. not arguing with each other) game of table tennis, etc. I actually admired the parents of those I saw for not trying to "dumb down" the family vacation to one that was nothing more than cartoon characters and ice cream cones, and rather, exposing their kids to different countries, cultures and cuisines. Clearly, for the particular kids on board this particular cruise, that worked.

I realize that sometimes there ARE ill-behaved children on Oceania, but that is not unique to Oceania, and just because someone cruises on a mass market line that caters more toward kids doesn't mean the childless adults on those cruise lines deserve to be subjected to misbehaving children any more than Oceania pax do. The issue is that the cruise lines -all of them who allow children on board whether they specifically cater to them or not- generally do a piss poor job of enforcing rules related to unsupervised children, diapered children in pools, etc. and fail to ask parents of kids having tantrums in restaurants to take the child outside. In essence, the problem isn't the misbehaving children or their oblivious parents, it's the cruise line staff who cower in the corner to avoid confrontation.

If a child is well behaved, I see no reason for him/her not to sail on Oceania or any other line that allows children. If you see a misbehaving/obnoxious/unsupervised child and don't like it, complain to the cruise staff, and if you don't get a satisfactory result, find a cruise line that forbids children and cruise with that line on and adults-only ship. Several posts have quoted Oceania verbiage that says there are no children's activities and therefore O does not encourage children blah blah blah. I interpret that to mean not that they don't want kids on board, but rather they just want parents to understand right up front not to expect such things, and to take that into consideration when deciding whether their children will enjoy themselves. Again, not all kids need a dumbed down Mickey Mouse vacation in order to have a good time.

just because someone cruises on a mass market line that caters more toward kids doesn't mean the childless adults on those cruise lines deserve to be subjected to misbehaving children any more than Oceania pax do.

In theory, I agree with you, but those Mass Market cruisers are oftentimes paying our Oceania per diem for an entire weeks worth of cruising...

msc-cruise-sale.gif

Therefore, what the two types of Passengers have "at stake" is very different.

In theory, I agree with you, but those Mass Market cruisers are oftentimes paying our Oceania per diem for an entire weeks worth of cruising...

msc-cruise-sale.gif

Exactly

You can pay thousands on o just to cruise in an inside cabin

An o cruise ruined or affected by screaming out of control toddlers is no small matter

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Exactly

An o cruise ruined or affected by screaming out of control toddlers is no small matter

Very well said.

Exactly

I am afraid this is the risk of travelling with other humans. My worst cruise experience by far was on an Oceania cruise when an adult neighbour in a concierge stateroom arrived late at his stateroom abusing his wife, shouting obscenities and behaving aggressively. We had to call security. I would take an irritated toddler over that any day. Message is people of any age can behave badly but we don't need to discriminate on the basis of age.

Edited by OzAbroad

I haven't cruised on MSC so can't comment specifically on the frequency of the rates in the ad you posted, but IME it is RARE to get a 7 night cruise for $199, even in an inside. I do understand your point though.

Exactly

This goes back to my original point: If the cruise line that allows those children to board, then allows them to carry out like that (or rather, allows their parents to allow them to do so) then your beef is with the cruise line, not the children or their parents. If the children are allowed on board O (or any line) then it is up to O to enforce some common sense rules, and to inform the pax of their expectations for their behavior and that of their children. O allows children, so O needs to ensure a peaceful experience for all. They don't need to offer a kids club etc., but they can absolutely say "OK, kids have to be supervised in the pool, have an evening curfew, must be immediately removed from any public venue if they are crying or screaming or acting like wild animals, etc. If they don't, you need to complain to O, or choose a ship that is truly adults only. Someone posted a link earlier with that information.

Some people have a lower tolerance for children of any age ..a simple whine when they are tired or hungry can seem to some as wild & screaming to others

I have seen both types in everyday life but not the screaming crazed ones on Oceania

Some may exaggerate to make a point :rolleyes:

As posted some adults should be removed from some of the public areas at times

I just returned from a 14 day on Riviera (Barcelona Istanbul). My biggest issue was that there were kids with toys in the hottubs. Hmmm. Aren't there age regulations around that? I did not say anything because I didn't want to look like a complainer but that didn't make me happy. (I know, I probably should have said something). There were quite a few large families on board.

I am afraid this is the risk of travelling with other humans. My worst cruise experience by far was on an Oceania cruise when an adult neighbour in a concierge stateroom arrived late at his stateroom abusing his wife, shouting obscenities and behaving aggressively. We had to call security. I would take an irritated toddler over that any day. Message is people of any age can behave badly but we don't need to discriminate on the basis of age.

That is the truth. Fact is Oceania allows children above the age of one onboard. If that does not fit your plans find another line.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I don't see what money has to do with this subject. If children annoy you, you need an adult only vacation. Neither kids or adults come with guaranteed "good behavior"!

Sent from my iPad using Forums