Tis Himself, Once More

Himself

Via rail has a good reputation of being on time, especially around Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto. I have not heard of any delays on the Vancouver to Toronto run. I'd rather do Via than Amtrak. Food for thought. I was planning on doing business class Air Vancouver to Montreal to Fort Lauderdale next April. Perhaps I'll change one portion to rail out of Vancouver.

Yes, the trains in the "corridor" (Windsor-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec) tend to run on time or close to it. Unfortunately, the on-time operation of the "Canadian" (the Toronto-Vancouver train) is very poor. In almost all cases it is the fault of Canadian National, the owner of most of the tracks over which VIA Rail operates. I have been on a train more than once that has sat in a siding for two hours, seemingly just in case a freight train might be nearby.:mad: My last trip on this train was from Vancouver to Toronto in late March. It arrived 15 hours late. For me this was no problem as I was (barely) able to catch the last commuter train of the night at 12:45 a.m. Others were not so lucky. I was travelling on VIA Preference points and because the delay was over 12 hours they gave me back all my points. The Canadian is a splendid train with comfortable beds, excellent food and service and I ride it every year. Arrival in both Toronto and Vancouver is scheduled as 9:30 a.m. and 9:42 a.m. respectively, but I would strongly suggest that no plans of any sort be booked for the day of arrival.

Next May we are taking a HAL cruise to Alaska, departing Vancouver on a Saturday. The "Canadian" is due in that morning but there is no way I would chance it. At that time of year the train runs three times a week, so to go by train we would have to depart Toronto a week before the cruise and arrive in Vancouver three days (in theory) before the cruise. So we will fly this time. We may take the train back to Toronto as it doesn't matter what day we arrive.

Our first cruise to Alaska was in 1972. We took the train to Vancouver - it was only a three night trip then, as opposed to four nights now - and made a same-day connection with the ship. Both the train and the ship were Canadian Pacific operations, so it didn't seem risky.

Amtrak.com has a "train status" utility that will show the progress at any point along the route. It was a a bit more difficult than usual because your train detoured through North Dakota skipping 3 cities where embarking/disembarking passengers completed part of their journey by bus.

[ATTACH]318329[/ATTACH]

Roy

Thanks for the info. I slept through the detour.

Greetings from Vancouver. I took the AMTRACK Cascades up here this morning. Someone advised me to go Business Class and it was a good piece of advice and I am glad the advice was headed.

I checked into my hotel and then went to Canada place. Saw the Crown Princess and the Zuiderdam docked and boarding passengers. I went to the "Fly over Canada" experience and then came back and took a nap.

Signing off for the night.

Himself

I left the Hotel about 10:35 AM and was on the ship by 11:15 AM. It has been raining all day here in Vancouver. It is now two fifteen. The Captian is Pieter Bos--a wonderful man-and I know we will have a good cruise. So far I have had only one couple ask about Mass--usually I have had ten or so inquire by now. The lifeboat drill is in two hours.

I will try and keep you posted.

Himself

I don't know about the Fly over Canada Experience. What is it?

I have been on Soaring at California Adventure in Disneyland. Is it similar to that?

One is in a theatre with a huge screen. It is a kind of Cinerama type screen which puts you into the picture so that you feel you are there. This is the sensation of being in a helecopter--I have been in one twice and this is very real. It is about and eighe minute flighrt over Canada and one has the sensations of the Helecopter. I would do it again but not this year as I will quickly leave Vancouver when I disemb ark on July 20, 2014.

I don't know about the Fly over Canada Experience. What is it?

I have been on Soaring at California Adventure in Disneyland. Is it similar to that?

It's very similar. I've done the Flyover Canada - a nice experience, you really feel like you are soaring and a couple of times I had to close my eyes!:o It's over too quick, though. But well worth doing.

It's very similar. I've done the Flyover Canada - a nice experience' date=' you really feel like you are soaring and a couple of times I had to close my eyes!:o It's over too quick, though. But well worth doing.[/quote']

I read that it was designed by the same person who designed Soarin'.

I am at Sea on the way to Ketchikan under the guiding hands of the Master of the Oosterdam, Captain Pieter Bos. I had Crew Mass AT 11:15P.M Mass last night and a Mass at 8:00 .A. M. 2with over 30 in attendance. I am off to walk the Promenade Deck.

I am at Sea on the way to Ketchikan under the guiding hands of the Master of the Oosterdam, Captain Pieter Bos. I had Crew Mass AT 11:15P.M Mass last night and a Mass at 8:00 .A. M. 2with over 30 in attendance. I am off to walk the Promenade Deck.

Good to hear from you - hope you have a perfect cruise. :)

Thank you for checking in.

Himself,

I never thought about the need to hold a Crew Mass so late at night. Certainly understandable given the schedules that the crew have to maintain, however.

I wonder where on the ship this can be held. Is it in a public room that is not being used at that time of night?