Tis Himself, Once More

Himself

Greetings

A week from tomorrow I board the Oosterdam to do what I usually do on cruise ships.

This time I am going by AMTRAK and will be leaving next week and making my way to Seattle and eventually to the Oosterdam. We sail on Sunday July 6th. I am not sure if I will go live or wait until I am back. I will take some notes of my rail travels and the cruise and I will post when I get back, if I do not post on the ship.

Tis Himself

Edited by Himself

I have traveled on Amtrak between Chicago and Seattle during both the Summer and Winter months. It is a great, scenic ride. One must have patience as one travels by rail. If the train is on time, it is indeed something for which to be thankful.

Have a wonderful trip!

GreetingsA week from tomorrow I board the Oosterdam to do what I usually do on cruise ships.

This time I am going by AMTRAK and will be leaving next week and making my way to Seattle and eventually to the Oosterdam. We sail on Sunday July 6th. I am not sure if I will go live or wait until I am back. I will take some notes of my rail travels and the cruise and I will post when I get back, if I do not post on the ship.

Tis Himself

leaving on the Volendam July 2

Enjoy your Amtrak trip. The scenery should be breathtaking. I was on the "O" in May for 2 weeks and left her in great condition with a friendly crew. Do try the Crab Cracker Seafood Bar in Ketchikan. Their Clam (white) chowder was the best I have ever had and I live in seafood country. You will find it in the building on the far right when standing on the dock facing the town. Can hardly wait until I go back this September on the Statendam.:)

That's funny, my DH and I were just discussing whether to take the train when we go to Fort Lauderdale next Spring! I said I thought there should be a Cruise Critic for train travel - or maybe a TrainAdvisor... We could take ViaRail from Vancouver to Toronto, and fly from there, or we could take AmTrak from Seattle to FLL. I'll have to do a lot of research, and look forward to your report. I know rafinmd often takes the train. Perhaps he'll join in.

Have a great time sailing! I know it's hard work, but somebody has to do it. Thanks, Father.

I also hope I enjoy the scenery on AMTRAK! Thanks for the good wishes.

Father, are you taking the Empire Builder Amtrak from Chicago? My daughter and granddaughter took that train from Seattle to Chicago after our Zuiderdam cruise last month. My daughter loved it (she is a train buff), but not my granddaughter, who wanted to get back to school and her friends.

Safe travels!

Edited by kjw869

Happy sailing Father.

We travelled Amtrak from Boston to NYC for 5 days then Washington in April/May last year. Absolutely loved it. Great way to see some wonderful scenery.

Also, we didn't have to drive on the wrong side of the road.

That's funny, my DH and I were just discussing whether to take the train when we go to Fort Lauderdale next Spring! I said I thought there should be a Cruise Critic for train travel - or maybe a TrainAdvisor... We could take ViaRail from Vancouver to Toronto, and fly from there, or we could take AmTrak from Seattle to FLL. I'll have to do a lot of research, and look forward to your report. I know rafinmd often takes the train. Perhaps he'll join in.

Have a great time sailing! I know it's hard work, but somebody has to do it. Thanks, Father.

Hi, Ann. We have traveled to several cruise ports on Amtrak and I found valuable information on a website called Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum. If you do a Google search you should be able to find it.

Cindy

I have traveled on Amtrak between Chicago and Seattle during both the Summer and Winter months. It is a great, scenic ride. One must have patience as one travels by rail. If the train is on time, it is indeed something for which to be thankful.

Have a wonderful trip!

I am already figuring I will be several hours late.

Do you take Amtrak to Denver and then change to a train going to Seattle? Have you toured the Underground in Seattle?

Enjoy your trip and cruise.

Bon Voyage!

Suzie I am taking the Empire Builder to Seattle and then taking an Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver B.C.

A quick vote for Via Rail. I just took it (business class) from Ottawa to Montreal to Quebec City. I was in business class and had a great ride. Service was good, included meal was better than the old airline meals, and trains were pretty close to being on schedule. Ottawa to Montreal started about 15 minutes late but I believe it made up a bit of time. Montreal to Quebec City left and arrived right on time.