Baked Alaska

mrstmaxx

Sorry if this has asked before but does Princess have baked Alaska just on the last night? And do they have it on every ship? We are sailing on the Star in September. Thank you
Yes. But it's nothing like it used to be. There's the parade with a fake cake and battery-operated candle and then instead of bringing the cake to the table and slicing, they bring out slices from the kitchen.

Yes. But it's nothing like it used to be. There's the parade with a fake cake and battery-operated candle and then instead of bringing the cake to the table and slicing, they bring out slices from the kitchen.

On the Star in April I think they paraded all real cakes (lots of them) with the battery candles, and they served us at the table. Actually, they served 5 of us slices, then left the approx. 1/4 cake that was left in front of the biggest desert eater at the table. It was really funny! The Chef's Parade followed the Baked Alaska Parade, as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I don't like it so I order from the menu. But then I'm not a big dessert eater (unless it's chocolate in which case, all bets are off.)

I don't remember having any other desert offered. I actually remember not caring too much for that last meal. It was American night and the menu choices seemed uninspired compared to the prior 14 nights. They had me spoiled by then!

On the Star in April I think they paraded all real cakes (lots of them) with the battery candles, and they served us at the table. Actually, they served 5 of us slices, then left the approx. 1/4 cake that was left in front of the biggest desert eater at the table. It was really funny! The Chef's Parade followed the Baked Alaska Parade, as well.

Ours was exactly like this on the Grand in May (minus leaving 1/4 cake in front of someone)

Parade through the dining room

10442992_10152502506683086_6594152067678248775_o.jpg

Line of waiters with the real cakes

10382057_10152502506373086_8964653715023005057_o.jpg

Our Jr waiter Francisco with the cake, and waiter Nelson to the left. (they were SO great)

10257908_10152502506183086_3124997622548641275_o.jpg

What was left of our cake. There were only 5 of us in our section that night.

e88dd26a-24c8-4d0d-a6da-7bdd95a6dcd6.jpg

I don't remember having any other desert offered. I actually remember not caring too much for that last meal. It was American night and the menu choices seemed uninspired compared to the prior 14 nights. They had me spoiled by then!
Just ask for the dessert menu. :) They look at you as though you're out of your mind but I don't care. And you're right. I don't think it's the best menu but that's subjective.

I don't recall not ever getting the dessert menu on the night the Baked Alaska is served. But I do recall that there wasn't a parade when we had Anytime Dining, which makes sense as not everyone is eating dessert at the same time.

Just ask for the dessert menu. :) They look at you as though you're out of your mind but I don't care. And you're right. I don't think it's the best menu but that's subjective.

I never eat the Baked Alaska. Don't like it one bit. I always ask for the regular desert menu, and they always bring it. Creme brulee is my default desert.

Yes, and it's still deeelicious! :-) If you do Anytime Dining, you usually miss out on the parade, but if you do Traditional, you'll see the parade.

Either way, you'll get to eat Baked Alaska. They've renamed it La Bomb Diplomate for some strange reason, but we all know it by its real name, Baked Alaska.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We dine in ATD, and have seen the parade. They did it on the Emerald this past Feb. Problem is that not all tables are in dessert mode at the same time. Not all waiters take part as they are busy at their tables. Personally, I think it's a thing of the past, introducing the staff and all. Dining for us isn't a special event, it's just dining.

I don't recall not ever getting the dessert menu on the night the Baked Alaska is served. But I do recall that there wasn't a parade when we had Anytime Dining' date=' which makes sense as not everyone is eating dessert at the same time.[/quote']

You may just have been there at the wrong time. We always do Anytime, and have always seen the Baked Alaska parade. We tend to eat early (5:30 - 6) and it always happens around our dessert time.

I never eat the Baked Alaska. Don't like it one bit. I always ask for the regular desert menu, and they always bring it. Creme brulee is my default desert.

I don't have a problem with the BA but I too tend to order the crème brûlée. I love that stuff!

(I'd also probably rather have the Volcano than the Baked Alaska.)

Baked Alaska is one of y favorites. But, they also have a regular dessert menu too-and they have a really great apple pie on that menu....So...I usually have both!

And yes, I can cal so confirm that they parade in Anytime dining.

In traditional dining I love the baked Alaska night,in another way I hate it because it always takes place the last evening of the cruise.:D

Like the way the parade comes through with the tune da da didley da da da da da da da da da....repeats.You know what I mean,great excitement.I hope it stays like this for ever.:D

Some times the baked Alaska is better than others it must depend on the head chef.The last one I had I remember was a good one,and yes if one has room there is still a good selection of deserts on the menu too.:)