Is Privee really worth it?

china addict

Next month will be my first sailing on an O class ship and I'm wondering if I should blow some of my OBC by inviting members of our Roll Call to dinner in Privee one night. I have two main concerns: (1) I know the food comes from Polo and Toscana but does it count as one of your specialty restaurant reservations? (2) Do you feel as though you are in a fishbowl with other passengers gawking at you through the windows? Looking forward to advice from those who have tried it. Many thanks.

Next month will be my first sailing on an O class ship and I'm wondering if I should blow some of my OBC by inviting members of our Roll Call to dinner in Privee one night. I have two main concerns: (1) I know the food comes from Polo and Toscana but does it count as one of your specialty restaurant reservations? (2) Do you feel as though you are in a fishbowl with other passengers gawking at you through the windows? Looking forward to advice from those who have tried it. Many thanks.

No it doesn't count as a specialty reservation. Yes it is worth it, you get special service and a few special treats. No you won't feel like your in a fish bowl, however you will feel like your dining in your private yacht----it's really a nice dinner service. Even thought you only get to order from Toscana & Polo it's still worth the money. Be sure to have the Concierge send out invites to your guest a very nice touch. Book it and enjoy your night.

Rick

Booking Privée does not count against your other Specialty Restaurant reservations, and although one must walk through Tuscana or Polo to get into Privée, once you are in the room, nobody else can see you.

103110.jpgo-privee-lg.jpg

005943.jpg In this photograph, the Windows of Privée are in the center of the ship, just above the row of orange umbrellas.

There is no way that I saw for people to look in and see what is going on. It has its own manager who will take care of you. I found them to be very eager to serve whatever you want and between both restaurant's their is a very wide choice. Even the chef will visit. Only you can decide if it is worth it for you. Have fun.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

When I was on in May..I had my husbands birthday in Privee and invited 8 in addition to us..(max is 10) it was absolutely fabulous and I who was so sure I would never spend the money thought it was the best..you wont be sorry!!

Jancruz1

Riviera-Privee-7868.JPG15pg-vertical.jpg

Privée is really a very private dining room, complete with a gorgeous sea view, which is available for any passenger to book for a very reasonable fee...at $250 for a party of up to ten, there is nothing else like it at sea

o-privee-lrg.jpg44.+oceania+privee.jpg

We loved it, ate there with 3 other couples, we split the $250 fee & the corkage fees (bunch of wine folks sharing some special bottles).

We especially enjoyed seeing the lights come up at Ibiza and sail away (was I believe an 11pm departure, we were still dining away!). If there is a late sail-away where you would be happy to be back on board for dinner, I would highly recommend choosing that night for Privee.

ymmv, some folks we've talked to aren't that interested in Privee- but if you are interested enough to ask, I am guessing you would enjoy it very much! Compared to a land-based private dining fee, it is *very* reasonably priced.

We went to a dinner in Privee on our recent cruise that was organized by someone we met on Cruise Critic. There were 10 of us to split the cost. The really nice thing about it was that the shape of the table was very conducive to conversation and we could hear and see everyone so we could talk within the entire group at once. It was a really nice and interesting group of people and we enjoyed it immensely. I ordered the sea bass from Toscana which I didn't like at all and I sent it back. It was no problem and it was most likely a matter of personal preference that I didn't like it. I was expecting Chilean Sea Bass like they had in Red Ginger and it was completely different. Everyone else seemed happy with their food. No gawkers through the windows and the service was excellent. We did talk to a couple who ate in Privee a different night and they weren't thrilled with the food.....well it is the same food you can get in Polo or Toscana so if you are only interested in the food, then I guess it wouldn't be worth it. For us, it was about the ambiance and the company. The room was beautiful (even though it's not my personal taste in décor) and we would happily do it again. For us it was worth the extra money

We booked Privee for 4 on our anniversary on our Marina cruise just ended. We used our shipboard credit and this was my favorite way to use that credit. We were in the Baltic Sea and did not get a dramatic sunset, etc (I was sold on doing this by StanandJim pictures) but it is still beautiful gazing out at sea from that room. Service and food (mixed courses from both restaurants and a cake at the end) made this a wonderful experience. It is nice with a small group and probably nice with a slightly larger one too. We were able to book it on embarkation day for the next day but later someone said you can call to book and still use OBC ahead of time. Do it!!

Edited by tvmovielover

Hello,

We went to La Reserve twice on Marina last year and it was AMAZING so what ever you do book La Reserve first before Privee....truely outstanding - 7 months since we were onboard and still talking about it.

It seems that the question is:

Do you want to have the wine pairing dinners (which we have loved) OR do you have a special occasion that you want to share with a FEW others.

If the latter, it seems to me -- not having done so! -- that Privee is better. If you book La Reserve with a group of 8-10, you won't be at the same table for one! (If you are fewer, you will be but you could also have extra people there that you don't know. Which normally is not a problem for us but if you want to do a special "just us" dinner, that wouldn't really work. The tables are generally 3 tables for 8 in La Reserve.)

Privee is a smaller size. While we haven't been tempted ourselves by it -- simply because we didn't want to be limited by ordering from Toscana and/or Polo (and paying for what is free if we just go the restaurant) -- from the posts we've seen people who did so loved it. (And these are people we trust since we know them.)

If we had a special occasion -- we'd now go the Privee route. But if on our 50th wedding anniversary (should we live so long) we'd probably book Horizon ...

That's another discussion!

Mura

My husband and I enjoyed Privee with a group of Cruise Critic friends on a recent trans-Atlantic. Someone in the group mentioned it was like dining on your private yacht. While I do not know what that is like I believe dining in Privee might be as close as I will come to a private yacht experience. Go with the intention of being pampered and you will not be disappointed. Our entire group had a very enjoyable evening.

I have dined at La Privee. It is the same meal you get in the restaurants, but you can host a party in that room if you have 10 pals. Its a fun way to have a private party, but I would not go back there unless I had a private party.