You are awake @ 5:30 a.m. on the ship

marshhawk

We are all early risers, even on vacation. Unfortunately one week off from work is not long enough for me to get used to sleeping in late. When I cruise with my sister, she goes up on deck and smokes a cig first before she wakes me. She is used to being up at 5am...thats a little early for me! We bring something to read out on deck until everyone else starts waking up.

crockpot????

That's what I said when I read that. According to Carnival's FAQ, it's among the items that will be confiscated. Apparently they're not always detected.

Back on topic, one of the things I noticed from my first cruise is that I'm "forced" to get up earlier than I would on land. Both times I was fairly far forward, so I could hear lots of creaks and groans when we got close to port, which is tough to sleep through. We arrived at all the ports between 7 and 8 AM and my excursions often left soon after that. And we arrived at San Juan at 6 AM on the final day, and they want you out of the rooms and off the ship ASAP after that.

As for what to do when I'm up at that time, I tend to stay in the cabin and either read or look at the ship info channel. It's too early for breakfast (except room service), most things aren't open, and I've never been much of a sunrise watcher.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I'm a creature of habit. 90% of the time I'm awake at 0500 and up by 0530

don my bathing suit, and jacket I made from Ship's towels that were torn etc. (given to me) I wear my retired NAVY ball cap and proceed to the LIDO where I sit adjacent to the coffee machine until the hot tub opens at about 0730/o800.

During those couple hours I meet the nicest variety of people and have the best discussions on an amazing assortment of topics.

I get to know the LIDO supervisor, several of the cooks, many ex military,

several "big name" entertainers back when they had them on the ships.

When the breakfast line opens I usually get a nod and am the first one to be served with FRESH eggs etc. Also I witness some beautiful sunrises. Occasionally if the sunrise is exceptionally nice I bring my camera up at sunset and take a picture UPSIDE down and have the sunrise for my scrapbook.

gary

Good Lord knows why I am awake this morning at 5:30, but He may be the only one. If you were on a ship at this time, what would you be doing?

I'd be getting some coffee on te lido deck and waiting for the sun to rise.

I usually wake up any time between 5:30 and 6:30 depending on what we did the night before. I will generally grab a cup of coffee and walk around the quiet ship taking pictures.

Good Lord knows why I am awake this morning at 5:30, but He may be the only one. If you were on a ship at this time, what would you be doing?

I'd be getting some coffee on te lido deck and waiting for the sun to rise.

The best time of day on board. Quiet, cool out - I love it. I will do a walk about the ship, head to the lido for some coffee then go outside and enjoy the beginning of another great day.

Lets see

Im on vacation, in bed with my GF, with the motion of the ocean

you can figure out the rest;)

Ok, I read the whole thread and this is exactly what I was thinking. This is the only reason to be up before dawn!! :D Couldn't believe it took this long for someone to post it. LOL!

I was on the Dream a few weeks ago and had a Spa balcony on deck 11. For some unknown reason I was awake by 5:45 each morning and I am in no shape or form a morning person! At first I was quite perturbed by this until I realized how nice it was to go down to Lido for coffee and then sit on the balcony and either watch the sun come up or the ship coming into port. I actually looked forward to that after a few days. I was glad I was up the morning we came into Mahogany Bay --- was a really pretty sight, still dark out and the shops had their lights on made for a nice view.

I am usually up having coffee on the balcony, but after reading this thread I think I will wonder up to Lido deck and find some interesting conversation to engage in. I think that would be most enjoyable.

JGB

I usually am up a first light, even here at home, thanks to a demented wiener dog. On the ship I will go up to the Lido deck, grab a cup of coffee and see what there is to see. Soon, I will eat a bit of breakfast. There is usually a group that heads aft to the open deck at this time. A lot of casual socialization goes on and that is good.

Doc

I have always been an early riser, and usually by 5:45 AM coffee service for three has arrived and I am out on the balcony enjoying my coffee. My DW usually sleeps until the arrival of the coffee, and then joins me.

Us, too. Same morning ritual.:D

I'm usually up that early as well. I always hit the walking track and watch the sunrise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We go up to the jogging track also, while it is a little cooler and to watch the sunrise & work off last nights dinner :)

If I am awake at 0530 during a cruise and it isn't debarkation day, I am probably up using the bathroom and looking at my watch, then out the window at the dark sea or the bright light of sunrise, then closing the curtain again so I can go to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours until it is time to get up and go to breakfast. I hate mornings. I am usually not asleep until 0200 on cruise evenings so I am not getting up early and when I am at home, I usually sleep until around noon or later because my daily schedule requires me to be a night owl. Even when I was on the opposite schedule and was up early I still slept in on vacation. It takes a special type of person to be an early bird I think. Then again they say the same thing about us night owls so who knows.

That 's why I bought a new camera. Old one really botched up so many.:(

Congrats on stopping smoking.

I have a FujiFilms point and shoot. It's not a terrible camera for a point and shoot, but it doesn't like varied lighting. I usually carry it around because it's only a 100 dollar camera and if it gets broken or stolen I'm not out anything.

On land I always have my cell phone in my pocket, and it takes great photos, but on the cruise, my phone was locked up in the safe! Which in itself is a great thing...