Will dl/cl lounges go away?

I'm quite the pessimist, possibly stemming from a few years ago when we were Diamonds and ousted from the CL's. I see a time when the 3 vouchers morph into a wine/champagne/rum punch sort of limited selection as seen in the welcome back/ Upper tier parties. I'm sad already at the changes I see in the future while my glass is half full. :o:mad::p

I'm quite the pessimist, possibly stemming from a few years ago when we were Diamonds and ousted from the CL's. I see a time when the 3 vouchers morph into a wine/champagne/rum punch sort of limited selection as seen in the welcome back/ Upper tier parties. I'm sad already at the changes I see in the future while my glass is half full. :o:mad::p

Now, I disagree with that. I think that the vouchers will remain as "valuable"/"useful" as they are now. Same drinks. Won't become more limited.

JMO

YMMV

:)

Now, I disagree with that. I think that the vouchers will remain as "valuable"/"useful" as they are now. Same drinks. Won't become more limited.

JMO

YMMV

:)

Such a PollyAnna you are Carol! I hope you are right, but being the pessimist, I'll settle for you being half right. :rolleyes::p:)

Thanks to all for the various views on the topic. At least when...if any changes occur, we won't be taken by surprise. :)

We have had the chance to take a couple of cruises since becoming D+, and both were on a Voyager class ship. The CL concierge on one of the Voyager class ships treated the D+ cruisers like intruders. Some were rather miffed. Oh, well...whatever. We didn't sweat the small stuff and much more enjoyed the DL on that class anyway.

The one CL we really wanted to experience is the Oasis class. Have heard nice things about the CL on Oasis class. Will cruise on Allure in August. At least it looks like we'll have one chance to be in the CL on that class before any possible shake ups. :)

Not sure if there will be vouchers on the Allure when we cruise.

I heard that Diamonds will no longer be allowed on the ship. Their drink vouchers will be sent to their homes.;)

That's just pure mean:mad::p

However, if the bartender comes along with it.......I'm good to go!

Edited by ShipRiders

With the new drink vouchers, do you think that the DL/CL will become part of the good old days? I like to meet fellow cruisers who also love to cruise and RCCL. Please, RCCL, don't ''cost cut'' them.

I hope not! As a marketing major, I know the benefit of a Diamond lounge. I have met many seasoned travelers and they have enticed me to book lounger, more exotic itineraries than what I had booked previously.

How many of us have booked cruises with people we have met in the Diamond Lounge?

Raising my hand.

Is it naive to think that the vouchers are just a good way to spread guests out a little and not a step to kicking them out (or closing) the DL. At least, I hope so. Have only gotten to use the DL once, but we really enjoyed it. (And it wasn't that crowded.)

Well if the D's get vouchers to be used most anywhere, and then a coffee voucher, this is almost a better perk than the lounge ( for D+). After all, the voucher allows one to take a drink anywhere even dinner/show, the lounge does not.

As a one per evening cocktail drinker, 3 drinks is plenty, I get my "money's worth" from the specialty coffees, not the alcohol.

enjoy

M

We've taken a lot of drinks out of the lounges. The waiters even encourage it. I think it turns over seats faster

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We've taken a lot of drinks out of the lounges. The waiters even encourage it. I think it turns over seats faster.

They were letting everyone take drinks out of the CL on Ex. People were walking out with several bottles of beer at a time. I saw this happen several times.

There is a lot more to the DL/CL than just a happy hour. DW loves the morning coffee, I love the appetizers, and we both love meeting people and making new friends there. The occasional help of the concierge is also nice. I don't expect that the will take all of that away any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

There is a lot more to the DL/CL than just a happy hour. DW loves the morning coffee, I love the appetizers, and we both love meeting people and making new friends there. The occasional help of the concierge is also nice. I don't expect that the will take all of that away any time soon.

I agree.

We also meet many great people in the lounges

As for concierges, they enhance my cruise especially if we have sailed with a Concierge before and know him or her.

my SWAG is that the DL will be limited to D+ but Ds will get the vouchers to keep them from rioting.

CL for Suites and Pinnacles.

That makes perfect sense.

I would love to know the exact numbers of cruisers that attained D, D+ and Pinnacle as of Jan 1 2013 for example, and compare them to today. I think it could look rather astonishing imho to see the escalating numbers (with the December Diamonds, triple points in suites, etc etc the past few years). I'm betting half of Quantum will be D+ and above on my Dec sailing .... they'll run out of booze for the entire sailing on the first night :eek::p

Given the fact they have built Diamond lounges on all the new ships, and are adding to all the ships that didn't have one when they go in for their refurbs, I think they are here for a while.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes D+ /Pinnacle after a while. Or even a new tier level or two. There are some features that Celebrity recently changed regarding tier levels and points. It will be interesting to see if RC follow suit.

I have been rather loyal to Royal in the past. We are young to be Diamond, and I enjoy RCCL, but if the take away the DL, I will most likely not sail RCCL as much, I will sail other lines and ships. I think taking the Diamonds out of of Lounge is a huge mistake.

Bad enough double points (Diamond in December) is gone after we became Diamond. The vouchers are NOT enough. I enjoy meeting other Diamond cruisers, getting great ideas as where to go at a new port, the coffee is awesome and yes the DL concierges are wonderful and helpful!

I hope not! As a marketing major, I know the benefit of a Diamond lounge. I have met many seasoned travelers and they have enticed me to book lounger, more exotic itineraries than what I had booked previously.

How many of us have booked cruises with people we have met in the Diamond Lounge?

Raising my hand.

Raising my hand. Never would have DREAMED of cruising as much as I have (will be d+ on my next cruise) except for making highly cruised friends who inspired me to follow in their wake, er, footsteps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Agree

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I think you will see a new level between D+ & Pinnacle. Possibly at the 525 point mark. The CL would then be limited to the new level, pinnacle and full suites. This would help eliminate some of the overcrowding in the CL. Just my 2 cents.:)

I would love to know the exact numbers of cruisers that attained D, D+ and Pinnacle as of Jan 1 2013 for example, and compare them to today. I think it could look rather astonishing imho to see the escalating numbers (with the December Diamonds, triple points in suites, etc etc the past few years). I'm betting half of Quantum will be D+ and above on my Dec sailing .... they'll run out of booze for the entire sailing on the first night :eek::p

Funny you should say that.

On my Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009, I told the CD (Abe) that they should change a rule JUST for our cruise. They should let us bring back booze from the ports and keep it.

We were absolutely drinking them out of house and home. I told Abe that if RC let us have our own booze, we would stop drinking theirs!

:eek: :p ;)

Nah, I don't think that it's going to be THAT bad, Hoopster! ;)

Don't think their doing the diamonds in December this year

Didn't last year

Id check before getting too excited

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt it. My impression is that one day my card will not work in the CL. Then they will say, 'just use your vouchers'.

As a side note, a lot of suite guests were coming in wearing shorts and other sorts of pool wear. I heard a guest ask an employee if there was 'a dress code'. He said, 'You are fine. It's a free country. Wear what you want.' It seems like they are really catering to suite guests. A lot of kids in the lounge this time. Many did not use the tongs provided. Crew did their best to wrangle them.

But that only makes sense doesn't it? The cruise line will cater to those that pay more money than others, just as airlines and hotels do. Once I heard the plan to put DL's on every ship (except the very old ones which get sold off) it was pretty clear the Suite guests would get the CL back. They may continue to give access to the Pins, but they are few and far between on most sailings. I do think if there are an inordinate amount of Pins on any particular sailing they may limit them to the DL, unless they are in a suite.