Will dl/cl lounges go away?

I would like to see the CL removed. They could reuse that space for future cruise reservations or such. Then I would like to see the DL ( since it is bigger) take it's place for Suites, Pinnacle and D+ . Diamond tier should get 1 or 2 drinks, like the old days when the paper coupons were given in books . Reaching Diamond tier is quick and easy and there are now too many of them to be considered a really high and loyal tier. There is no need for RCL to give away soooooooo many drinks when people are more then willing to buy them or buy their alcohol packages.

Maybe for you reaching Diamond status was "quick and easy" but for myself and many of us it took quite a while and finally reaching it...I consider it a "high and loyal tier" and would hate to see RCL now take away the perks that so many of you now Diamond Plus members have enjoyed in the past.

Also not all of us can afford the alcohol packages as you stated.

Congrats on your status but let us newbees enjoy the perks for awhile before you suggest getting rid of them!!

I would like to see the CL removed. They could reuse that space for future cruise reservations or such. Then I would like to see the DL ( since it is bigger) take it's place for Suites, Pinnacle and D+ . Diamond tier should get 1 or 2 drinks, like the old days when the paper coupons were given in books . Reaching Diamond tier is quick and easy and there are now too many of them to be considered a really high and loyal tier. There is no need for RCL to give away soooooooo many drinks when people are more then willing to buy them or buy their alcohol packages.

Glad you're not in charge:rolleyes:

Did those families stay for 3 1/2 hours with their kids?

Somehow I doubt it!

we only sail suites and we spend a large portion of our day in the CL.. and yes we tend to stay for all or most of the cocktail hour. and last cruise, so did many of our fellow suite guests. we kept the place quite lively all day long.

and yes the family groups do stay all evening.. the kids seemed to treat the appetizers as their dinner

we only sail suites and we spend a large portion of our day in the CL.. and yes we tend to stay for all or most of the cocktail hour. and last cruise, so did many of our fellow suite guests. we kept the place quite lively all day long.

and yes the family groups do stay all evening.. the kids seemed to treat the appetizers as their dinner

Wow, don't enjoy your suite much then do you if you spend a large portion of your day in a room with no windows? What's the point of shelling out $$$$ for a suite with a view if all you want to do is spend time in a cupboard? Sorry but don't buy the fact you spend hours in the CL.

If by demographics you mean the advanced average age of Pinnacle members, then yes, I agree. :) To get to 700+ points, it helps to be retired (i.e, AARP-eligible). ;)
Yes that's what I meant. I agree that getting to 700+ points is easier when one is retired.

Yes that's what I meant. I agree that getting to 700+ points is easier when one is retired.

I must add, If they have the money. Pinnacle does not come cheap no matter how many insides or suites (double points) you take even if you live in Florida.

Edited by ShipRiders

Fortunately for those who haven't yet reached your lofty level, RCI doesn't seem to agree. Why anyone, other than the bean counters at the company, would want to take perks away from passengers is beyond me. That seems to reek of an "I've got mine, so screw everyone else" attitude that is, IMO, really pretty sad.

They have already taken perks away, remember when Diamonds had the CL. Remember when slippers were waiting in your cabin? Remember when you used to get a free Seattle's Coffee. remember when you used to get a discount for the specialty restaurant. Wasn't it reported just last month that RCL stopped suppling SHAMPOO !!! Naive to think perks don't get diminished. When sailing as few as 3 - 4 times can take you to diamond it's not very hard.

The airlines just cut back on their perks and miles and changed to a points for what your fare costs instead of how many miles you fly.

It's not an attitude it's a fact that many perks in many venues are cutting back. People want to cruise for so little money it has diminished the quality of the mass market lines. The disparity between the mass market lines and the truly upscale lines are very significant but hopefully that gap will shorten when considering the quality and inclusives.

I haven't sailed with RCL since Jan 2011. I have been sailing with Princess lately and a few small lines. I just booked on the Liberty of the Seas and booked for the itinerary and dates I wanted not the perks.

It's very limiting to book only one line because of status or perks although perks are nice it's not a reason to book.

Edited by cruzsnooze

They have already taken perks away, remember when Diamonds had the CL. Remember when slippers were waiting in your cabin? Remember when you used to get a free Seattle's Coffee. remember when you used to get a discount for the specialty restaurant. Wasn't it reported just last month that RCL stopped suppling SHAMPOO !!! Naive to think perks don't get diminished. When sailing as few as 3 - 4 times can take you to diamond it's not very hard.

The airlines just cut back on their perks and miles and changed to a points for what your fare costs instead of how many miles you fly.

It's not an attitude it's a fact that many perks in many venues are cutting back. People want to cruise for so little money it has diminished the quality of the mass market lines. The disparity between the mass market lines and the truly upscale lines are very significant but hopefully that gap will shorten when considering the quality and inclusives.

I haven't sailed with RCL since Jan 2011. I have been sailing with Princess lately and a few small lines. I just booked on the Liberty of the Seas and booked for the itinerary and dates I wanted not the perks.

It's very limiting to book only one line because of status or perks although perks are nice it's not a reason to book.

Unless you are taking long cruises in suites there is no way to make it to Diamond in 3 - 4 cruises. We have been sailing with Royal for 10 years, never have taken a cruise longer than 7 days, and only once stayed in a JS. After our next cruise, which happens to be in a JS just because we have 3 this time, we will be Diamond. For most it is not that easy to get there. I hope they do not take away too many of our benefits, but then again now that my kids are not both going on cruises with us, DH and I will most likely branch out so it may not matter all that much.

It was very easy for many people to get to Diamond too quickly and the numbers are not sustainable with the perks. A solo cruiser in an inside cabin earns double, a JS earns double (other cruise line require a full suite to earn double) Diamonds in Dec. just to name a few ways they made it easy. Not everyone could take advantage but so many could that the numbers soared and they couldn't accommodation the diamonds in the CL. Now they can't accommodation them in the DL (hence the vouchers). Something has to give and it sounds like the Diamonds might loose their DL to the D+ and P. The D+ would be loosing the CL perk and the spiral keeps flowing downward.

When RCL converted from number of cruises to number of nights many got 7 nights for our 3/4 night cruises.

It was very easy for many people to get to Diamond too quickly and the numbers are not sustainable with the perks. A solo cruiser in an inside cabin earns double, a JS earns double (other cruise line require a full suite to earn double) Diamonds in Dec. just to name a few ways they made it easy. Not everyone could take advantage but so many could that the numbers soared and they couldn't accommodation the diamonds in the CL. Now they can't accommodation them in the DL (hence the vouchers). Something has to give and it sounds like the Diamonds might loose their DL to the D+ and P. The D+ would be loosing the CL perk and the spiral keeps flowing downward.

When RCL converted from number of cruises to number of nights many got 7 nights for our 3/4 night cruises.

While I agree that it is relatively easy to get to Diamond the Diamonds in December only helped Diamonds get to Diamond plus as you had to be a Diamond to get the double points.

I must add, If they have the money. Pinnacle does not come cheap no matter how many insides or suites (double points) you take even if you live in Florida.

More expensive when you have to fly long distances too!!!

I always find these threads interesting if speculative. So, I'll throw in my 2cents worth of speculation.

IMHO, to reduce crowding in the CL, with vouchers they do not have to totally take access away from D+/P. If they made D+ use their vouchers to get a drink in the CL, fewer people would camp there for hours in the evening. Those who like the CL atmosphere would still go to the lounge, have two or three drinks in the lounge, then many would carry the final drink to dinner. Though some might stay and chat just as long as ever, in many cases, I believe vouchers in the lounge (for those lacking a gold card) would mean a shorter average time in the lounge, so less crowding. Other people (or same people other nights) would be drawn to other venues for live music, etc, as they could get same drinks either way. Again, less crowding at the busiest time. And yet D+ would still have access all day long for coffee and relaxing and concierge. Less crowding without as much blowback.

So, if I were a corporate exec and needed to decrease crowding in the CL, those with gold cards (suite/P) would get drinks with a wave of card in lounge. D+ would get 4 vouchers per night and D would get three vouchers per night to use in CL/DL/ select venues for D+ and DL/select venues for D.

Some D+/D would still be unhappy as they'd like more free drinks, but some other D+/D might be just as happy...maybe happier depending upon how they feel about crowding and extended stays. No impact on P as they have gold cards and rarely are there so many P's as to cause major crowding (and when there are many P's, there are way, way more D+)

Not too bad a proposal

Have to see how numbers end up

Found most overcrowding in the lounges is only usually to 6:30

The ta's will be the big telltales as they tend to have highest cand a numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always find these threads interesting if speculative. So, I'll throw in my 2cents worth of speculation.

IMHO, to reduce crowding in the CL, with vouchers they do not have to totally take access away from D+/P. If they made D+ use their vouchers to get a drink in the CL, fewer people would camp there for hours in the evening. Those who like the CL atmosphere would still go to the lounge, have two or three drinks in the lounge, then many would carry the final drink to dinner. Though some might stay and chat just as long as ever, in many cases, I believe vouchers in the lounge (for those lacking a gold card) would mean a shorter average time in the lounge, so less crowding. Other people (or same people other nights) would be drawn to other venues for live music, etc, as they could get same drinks either way. Again, less crowding at the busiest time. And yet D+ would still have access all day long for coffee and relaxing and concierge. Less crowding without as much blowback.

So, if I were a corporate exec and needed to decrease crowding in the CL, those with gold cards (suite/P) would get drinks with a wave of card in lounge. D+ would get 4 vouchers per night and D would get three vouchers per night to use in CL/DL/ select venues for D+ and DL/select venues for D.

Some D+/D would still be unhappy as they'd like more free drinks, but some other D+/D might be just as happy...maybe happier depending upon how they feel about crowding and extended stays. No impact on P as they have gold cards and rarely are there so many P's as to cause major crowding (and when there are many P's, there are way, way more D+)

Well, plain and simple I do not like your idea.:)

Well, plain and simple I do not like your idea

Not too bad a proposal

Have to see how numbers end up

Found most overcrowding in the lounges is only usually to 6:30

The ta's will be the big telltales as they tend to have highest cand a numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, yes the number of loyalty members on TA cruises is amazing. I recall how empty the ship felt when the suite guests and D/D+/P were in the huge nightclub designated as the evening lounge on an LOS TA...the other venues were so empty, but the loyalty lounge was filled to the gills. Thiat is not a complaint...we had a great time, btw.

I hope the cruiseline will come up with ways to happily spread loyalty members out on TA's. for example on an X transpacific, there was often afternoon trivia immediately followed by a fun band in a lounge...as the cruise progressed I noticed more and more Elites stayed in that lounge using vouchers, rather than going all the way up to the regular Elite area at the top of the ship (then right back down for dinner). Give people a nice reason to gather with friends in other lounges and they likely will do so.

And those that had done cruises that were longer than 7 days only got 7 points when RCI did the conversion.:eek: :mad:

Yes, we've only ever done cruises of 9 days or more. We only sail from NJ and MD. Soon to be Baltimore only, since the Explorer is leaving NJ. Have to wait until prices drop on the Quantum class to sail from NJ. Unless I win the lottery.:p

I am happy with D+ being allowed in the DL and not the CL. I like it better. At least on the Grandeur.

Gwen :)

Oh, yes the number of loyalty members on TA cruises is amazing. I recall how empty the ship felt when the suite guests and D/D+/P were in the huge nightclub designated as the evening lounge on an LOS TA...the other venues were so empty, but the loyalty lounge was filled to the gills. Thiat is not a complaint...we had a great time, btw.

I hope the cruiseline will come up with ways to happily spread loyalty members out on TA's. for example on an X transpacific, there was often afternoon trivia immediately followed by a fun band in a lounge...as the cruise progressed I noticed more and more Elites stayed in that lounge using vouchers, rather than going all the way up to the regular Elite area at the top of the ship (then right back down for dinner). Give people a nice reason to gather with friends in other lounges and they likely will do so.

With the new daily coupons being loaded onto Seapass cards for Diamond and above, you will probably see the same thing on Royal ships. :)

It is one thing for the cruise lines to seek ways to reduce their costs by eliminating some perks that were previously accorded their most loyal passengers. It is something else for a passenger to actively lobby for the elimination of perks to other passengers, perks that they themselves benefitted from.

And for anyone who believes that the reported (or suggested) number of pinnacles is greatly inflated, I find it very difficult to believe that the mortality rate for pinnacles is so high as to significantly offset the number of passengers who are regularly reaching the pinnacle level. Just judging from our own experience on recent cruises, the number of pinnacles on each sailing has increased substantially.

It is one thing for the cruise lines to seek ways to reduce their costs by eliminating some perks that were previously accorded their most loyal passengers. It is something else for a passenger to actively lobby for the elimination of perks to other passengers, perks that they themselves benefitted from.

And for anyone who believes that the reported (or suggested) number of pinnacles is greatly inflated, I find it very difficult to believe that the mortality rate for pinnacles is so high as to significantly offset the number of passengers who are regularly reaching the pinnacle level. Just judging from our own experience on recent cruises, the number of pinnacles on each sailing has increased substantially.

You made a good point. We can be our own worst enemy, can't we? I am a firm believer that all Royal has to do for new ideas is to read CC posts. :rolleyes:

No one seems to know exact Pinnacle numbers. When Pinnacle Club tier level was created in 2011, there were around 150. Earlier this year, I heard the number had topped 600. A few months later (now) -- who knows? I know of 3 individuals -- friends of ours -- who have passed away this year, but the new Pinnacles are more than offsetting any attrition.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Unless you are taking long cruises in suites there is no way to make it to Diamond in 3 - 4 cruises. We have been sailing with Royal for 10 years, never have taken a cruise longer than 7 days, and only once stayed in a JS. After our next cruise, which happens to be in a JS just because we have 3 this time, we will be Diamond. For most it is not that easy to get there. I hope they do not take away too many of our benefits, but then again now that my kids are not both going on cruises with us, DH and I will most likely branch out so it may not matter all that much.

I think we're probably poster kids for this one, 5 cruises gets us just to Diamond. All suites, 3 @ 7 nights, 1 @ 8 nights (upcoming), and 1 @ 11 nights.

Sure we probably could've taken 12-15 cruises in an Oceanview or Balcony for that much, but the life we have basically means one week off per year for a cruise.

Many of the very experienced, frequent-cruiser Pinnacles we spoke with in the CL told us we were "doing it right." If we weren't the youngest couple in the CL, we were definitely in the running. Unless the criteria changes or we can step up the pace to more than one cruise a year in a suite, we'll hit Pinnacle at age 88. :eek:

With the new daily coupons being loaded onto Seapass cards for Diamond and above, you will probably see the same thing on Royal ships. :)

Like you, I think the pattern I observed on a Celebrity voucher cruise may happen on Royal ships, too, especially if on board leadership thinks as it schedules. Select nice bars for a late afternoon activity (or two) that attract main-seating loyalty members and follow it with music and or dancing (during voucher time), and many will happily stay, chat, make friends, get to know staff and perhaps return night after night....happily. Crowding averted even though the CL is still an option for D+. Bars and bartenders bustling; other, paying drinkers might join the fun and conversation. Only trouble for me on that Celebrity cruise, DH and I liked the band, but had trouble getting a seat as more and more Elites discovered that liked it there, too....Happy problem for the cruiseline.

And if scheduling activities and music carefully does not alieviate crowding enough at key time (I think it would, but if it did not), the on board managers could manipulate the system more at select cruises. for example, they could allow vouchers to be used earlier (say 4:30 or 4:45) in a selected bar while CL/DL starts at 5:00 as usual. That would encourage early birds to consider other venue options at an otherwise slow time.

I know many people think D+ will lose access to the CL due to crowding. Maybe that is already in the cards. Or maybe the cruiseline is going to see how vouchers work system wide before deciding; I hope so. Further though, as a D+ (with a long, long way to go to P), I hope the cruiseline considers the multiple ways to let D+ keep access to the CL while alieviating crowding. The CL and DL are not crowded most of the time...mostly just the early part of cocktail hours.

You made a good point. We can be our own worst enemy, can't we? I am a firm believer that all Royal has to do for new ideas is to read CC posts. :rolleyes:

No one seems to know exact Pinnacle numbers. When Pinnacle Club tier level was created in 2011, there were around 150. Earlier this year, I heard the number had topped 600. A few months later (now) -- who knows? I know of 3 individuals -- friends of ours -- who have passed away this year, but the new Pinnacles are more than offsetting any attrition.

There do seem to be a fair number progressing to P now. Do you think that pace might decrease in upcoming years? As they are smart cookies, did some of the folks making P now make shrewd decisions at well chosen times in the past that racked up lots of points? I ask that with admiration, not resentment, so please don't flame me...using rules and programs to their fullest is great in my book. for example, perhaps some earned credit for short each cruise pre-conversion, with favorable treatment at conversion. Some may have gotten a lift back when people got double credits for free JS upgrades. Some may have gotten lots of D in D credits/points. In fact, as rumors of conversion circulated here, some prescient cruisers may have done multiple short cruises the prior December for double or triple credits (each of which netted 7 points at conversion, so three weeks of cruising in JS might have become 18 credits equaling 126 points that particular December vs 42 if done now). Those opportunities are now in the rear-view mirror, unavailable to newbies now (though new opportunities do arise, like double points for solos, which might also be helping some rising toward P). Like a bolus moving through a snake, I wonder if the new system will gradually elongate to time people take to reach P (solos excepted; they are likely paying more though rising faster).

There do seem to be a fair number progressing to P now. Do you think that pace might decrease in upcoming years? As they are smart cookies, did some of the folks making P now make shrewd decisions at well chosen times in the past that racked up lots of points? I ask that with admiration, not resentment, so please don't flame me...using rules and programs to their fullest is great in my book. for example, perhaps some earned credit for short each cruise pre-conversion, with favorable treatment at conversion. Some may have gotten a lift back when people got double credits for free JS upgrades. Some may have gotten lots of D in D credits/points. In fact, as rumors of conversion circulated here, some prescient cruisers may have done multiple short cruises the prior December for double or triple credits (each of which netted 7 points at conversion, so three weeks of cruising in JS might have become 18 credits equaling 126 points that particular December vs 42 if done now). Those opportunities are now in the rear-view mirror, unavailable to newbies now (though new opportunities do arise, like double points for solos, which might also be helping some rising toward P). Like a bolus moving through a snake, I wonder if the new system will gradually elongate to time people take to reach P (solos excepted; they are likely paying more though rising faster).

I've heard the conversation and stories, possibly embellished. We all gained and lost ground when the conversion to points was made. (Some just gripe about it more, but we took a hit, as well.) The people living in Florida have a distinct advantage, no matter how you look at it, and you're right, nothing wrong with taking advantage of what is offered. I just converted 20k Starwood points at a 1:1 ratio over to an airline loyalty program which was offering a 50% bonus, so I gained 10k more points. Nothing wrong with that. :) :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

We have not cruised during double points in Dec. only taken long cruises of 7 days/nts or more or a B2B of a 5 day once or twice added on to a TA.

Take many cruises a year, most we try to do B2B because of the distance to fly to get to a port. Whole day of transit to get to FLL. Then hotels 2-3 nights before- depending on where we fly to. So, it is costly!!

Got our points the Hard Way!!!:)

Used to get 1 point for a Hawaii cruise of 11 nights! In conversion I can't remember how we fared in the end.

We are Reaching PC in Feb. so hopefully we have not worked hard to get there and have the benefits taken away!!!!:eek:

Been a cruise by cruise climb, some if the price was right in a JS.

So, some maybe easier if they live in Florida but others like us have had to do it the more costly way.

...Used to get 1 point for a Hawaii cruise of 11 nights! In conversion I can't remember how we fared in the end....

That one cruise credit got converted to 7 cruise points.