Will dl/cl lounges go away?

Any statistics are flawed since RCCL doesn't remove people from the rolls when they die or stop sailing.

It's a given that the vast majority of Pinnacles are older and more likely to drop out of the scene for various reasons.

It's not the Pinnacles and Diamond Pluses who have the greatest increase. It's the Diamonds with a relatively low threshold to qualify.

The statistics are also flawed due to children getting the same status as parents. The only level at present, where they are supposed to not get automatic entry is Pinnacle.

The trouble is going to lie in future generations. Hypothetically, where a parent makes a good level, takes kid on a cruise, they get the same status, they grow up and take their kid on a cruise and they go into that same status. Suddenly you have an awful lot of potential diamond and above cruisers after one cruise. They like the perks so start to sail more, but are still taking up space of "loyal" cruisers in terms of perks.

I think they may need to lower the "inherited" status to a lower tier level and make the children earn their way up so to speak. I am not saying do away with the inherited status completely, but max out the level they can enter at.

If you think about it, we can only enter Celebrity at Elite level and then we have to earn the points to get a higher status, and vice versa. Otherwise in a few years they are going to have a new generation that they suddenly don't have the space to cater for in terms of the current perks.

Edited by Spurschick

The statistics are also flawed due to children getting the same status as parents. The only level at present, where they are supposed to not get automatic entry is Pinnacle.

The trouble is going to lie in future generations. Hypothetically, where a parent makes a good level, takes kid on a cruise, they get the same status, they grow up and take their kid on a cruise and they go into that same status. Suddenly you have an awful lot of potential diamond and above cruisers after one cruise. They like the perks so start to sail more, but are still taking up space of "loyal" cruisers in terms of perks.

I think they may need to lower the "inherited" status to a lower tier level and make the children earn their way up so to speak. I am not saying do away with the inherited status completely, but max out the level they can enter at.

If you think about it, we can only enter Celebrity at Elite level and then we have to earn the points to get a higher status, and vice versa. Otherwise in a few years they are going to have a new generation that they suddenly don't have the space to cater for in terms of the current perks.

Pinnacle status cannot be inherited. It can only be earned by cruising. I was surprised to hear from a woman who just made Pinnacle that her husband, who does not have as many points as her, is now Pinnacle. However, if something should happen to her, he would revert to his own earned points. Children DO NOT get their parents Pinnacle status. They do on other levels, but when they turn 18 they keep the status but at that point only have the points they have actually earned. They have to get to the next level on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pinnacle status cannot be inherited. It can only be earned by cruising. I was surprised to hear from a woman who just made Pinnacle that her husband, who does not have as many points as her, is now Pinnacle. However, if something should happen to her, he would revert to his own earned points. Children DO NOT get their parents Pinnacle status. They do on other levels, but when they turn 18 they keep the status but at that point only have the points they have actually earned. They have to get to the next level on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first sentence states that the only level children can NOT inherit is Pinnacle. But yes, Pinnacle does transfer to spouses.

My point was after very few cruises, it is very easy for children to be at least Diamond/Diamond plus. And yes whilst their points revert back, they are still at the higher ends of perks, and then they in turn can pass these higher levels down to their children even if they do not cruise in the interim. If they have the status then it only matters how many points they have to get to the next level. If they are already getting some of the best perks are they really going to worry?

When I started cruising RC I was a minor. The program for children having status didn't exist. I obtained my points based on what I have sailed. DD obtained d+ through our status originally, but has now earned in her own right. When we become Pinnacle she will still be D+ as she will be a few points behind us! but she will get there eventually:D

Edited by Spurschick

My first sentence states that the only level children can NOT inherit is Pinnacle. But yes, Pinnacle does transfer to spouses.

My point was after very few cruises, it is very easy for children to be at least Diamond/Diamond plus. And yes whilst their points revert back, they are still at the higher ends of perks, and then they in turn can pass these higher levels down to their children even if they do not cruise in the interim. If they have the status then it only matters how many points they have to get to the next level. If they are already getting some of the best perks are they really going to worry?

When I started cruising RC I was a minor. The program for children having status didn't exist. I obtained my points based on what I have sailed. DD obtained d+ through our status originally, but has now earned in her own right. When we become Pinnacle she will still be D+ as she will be a few points behind us! but she will get there eventually:D

Wanted to add maybe the children should only be entitled to the status equivalent to that of the parents actual points. The problem lies in even if the parents revert to their sailed points they still keep their previous status. Technically their children are entitled to the same status as the parents. What happens if parents are hypothetically Diamond but only have one sailing? Is it really fair to loyal cruisers that their children come in at diamond status based on one inherited cruise.

I appreciate it will take longer for them to reach D+ etc! but I am sure you can understand my thinking behind this, and why I feel that suddenly the number of Diamond in particular numbers has grown exponentially, and hence part of the reason for the overcrowding that has fallen on us.

Edited by Spurschick

If the rumor that D+ will not be allowed in the CL starting 1/1/15 turns out to be true I wonder if RCL would let someone cancel if they are within the penalty period if they are scheduled on a ship that does not have a DL for them to go to since they booked thinking there would be CL access. :confused:

Edited by molly361

If the rumor that D+ will not be allowed in the CL starting 1/1/15 turns out to be true I wonder if RCL would let someone cancel if they are within the penalty period if they are scheduled on a ship that does not have a DL for them to go to since they booked thinking there would be CL access. :confused:

You are dreaming again.

No, they will say, 'just use your vouchers!'

Then they will reprice your cruise for asking.

Then they will reprice your cruise for asking.

Funny but sad. That seems to be almost what they're coming to.:rolleyes:

Ask us a question or log into your cruise, BEWARE, we may re-price it because you dared contact us! :(

Edited by bouhunter

Have heard of some Pinnacles who have passed away and a few D+s.

Right after reading this thread and your post, I moved down the list of threads on the RCI threads to a topic titled Burial At Sea. Coincidence? :eek:

Edited by travelgoddess1

Just remember that these very same rumors were floating around this board toward the end of last year with GUARANTEES from some that changes would be taking place in January 2014.

It never happened, did it? That's not to say changes cannot occur, but oftentimes these rumors prove to be just that - rumors!

And I was told, 'suites only!' for CL. They weren't sure about D, D+ and P.

Doubt it!

If so the CL will be, as the song goes, "one of the loneliest places in the world."

We've been D+ for a number of years now and many of the Concierge Lounges would be totally empty for most of the night if only for the suities. Suite guests, unlike P, D+ and D, do not tend to hang out in the lounges. They will come in for a drink or two, some snacks and then leave.

I think what RCCL is trying to accomplish here is to see if the free drinks outside the lounges will reduce the numbers inside the lounges. If so, nothing will change. If there is still selected overcrowding on some ships, then it's possible the Ds will be relegated to the three free drinks outside while the D+ take over the former D lounges.

I always find these threads interesting if speculative. So, I'll throw in my 2cents worth of speculation.

IMHO, to reduce crowding in the CL, with vouchers they do not have to totally take access away from D+/P. If they made D+ use their vouchers to get a drink in the CL, fewer people would camp there for hours in the evening. Those who like the CL atmosphere would still go to the lounge, have two or three drinks in the lounge, then many would carry the final drink to dinner. Though some might stay and chat just as long as ever, in many cases, I believe vouchers in the lounge (for those lacking a gold card) would mean a shorter average time in the lounge, so less crowding. Other people (or same people other nights) would be drawn to other venues for live music, etc, as they could get same drinks either way. Again, less crowding at the busiest time. And yet D+ would still have access all day long for coffee and relaxing and concierge. Less crowding without as much blowback.

So, if I were a corporate exec and needed to decrease crowding in the CL, those with gold cards (suite/P) would get drinks with a wave of card in lounge. D+ would get 4 vouchers per night and D would get three vouchers per night to use in CL/DL/ select venues for D+ and DL/select venues for D.

Some D+/D would still be unhappy as they'd like more free drinks, but some other D+/D might be just as happy...maybe happier depending upon how they feel about crowding and extended stays. No impact on P as they have gold cards and rarely are there so many P's as to cause major crowding (and when there are many P's, there are way, way more D+)

Edited by Starry Eyes

Right after reading this thread and your post, I moved down the list of threads on the RCI threads to a topic titled Burial At Sea. Coincidence? :eek:
I saw that too and read the posts. Trainman posted about his first wife's burial at sea. I don't know if she was a Pinnacle.

Demographics probably play a role in Pinnacle attrition.

Edited by SherriZ366

I saw that too and read the posts. Trainman posted about his first wife's burial at sea. I don't know if she was a Pinnacle.

Demographics probably play a role in Pinnacle attrition.

If by demographics you mean the advanced average age of Pinnacle members, then yes, I agree. :) To get to 700+ points, it helps to be retired (i.e, AARP-eligible). ;)

Edited by travelgoddess1

I heard that Diamonds will no longer be allowed on the ship. Their drink vouchers will be sent to their homes.;)

OMG I heard that too while at a C&A reception! But the Captain said the vouchers were for D+, and that the D would receive coupon for a bottle of Le Terre from Alde.

$0.02 more

I still think Celebrity adding more tiers to their program is something we can't overlook. It's a V-E-R-Y L-O-N-G way from D+ to P. I could very easily see a tier created between the two at 500 or so points and THAT becomes the new criteria for CL access.

As we were closing in on Emerald, a number of cruisers in the CL noted that was all a result of some corporate typo. As though Emerald was really supposed to be 550 points instead of 55, and RCL couldn't un-do it. Or could just be Pinnacles having fun with the rookies ;)

$0.02 more

I still think Celebrity adding more tiers to their program is something we can't overlook. It's a V-E-R-Y L-O-N-G way from D+ to P. I could very easily see a tier created between the two at 500 or so points and THAT becomes the new criteria for CL access.

As we were closing in on Emerald, a number of cruisers in the CL noted that was all a result of some corporate typo. As though Emerald was really supposed to be 550 points instead of 55, and RCL couldn't un-do it. Or could just be Pinnacles having fun with the rookies ;)

Celebrity had only three level before, so in adding two new levels they were moving toward catching up with the more numerous C&A levels. celebrity also has a very long way between Elite Plus and Zenith. What are we overlooking?

I would like to see the CL removed. They could reuse that space for future cruise reservations or such. Then I would like to see the DL ( since it is bigger) take it's place for Suites, Pinnacle and D+ . Diamond tier should get 1 or 2 drinks, like the old days when the paper coupons were given in books . Reaching Diamond tier is quick and easy and there are now too many of them to be considered a really high and loyal tier. There is no need for RCL to give away soooooooo many drinks when people are more then willing to buy them or buy their alcohol packages.

I would like to see the CL removed. They could reuse that space for future cruise reservations or such. Then I would like to see the DL ( since it is bigger) take it's place for Suites, Pinnacle and D+ . Diamond tier should get 1 or 2 drinks, like the old days when the paper coupons were given in books . Reaching Diamond tier is quick and easy and there are now too many of them to be considered a really high and loyal tier. There is no need for RCL to give away soooooooo many drinks when people are more then willing to buy them or buy their alcohol packages.

Fortunately for those who haven't yet reached your lofty level, RCI doesn't seem to agree. Why anyone, other than the bean counters at the company, would want to take perks away from passengers is beyond me. That seems to reek of an "I've got mine, so screw everyone else" attitude that is, IMO, really pretty sad.