Food on NCL Reaching New Lows??

MATHA531

For the most part we have enjoyed the various dining venues. Hubby and I generally vary where we eat. We go to the speciality the buffet and other places depending on our whims. We love being able to pick and choose. As far as the quality we sure haven't left anywhere hungry. But the best part is we got to choose what we wanted and when we wanted, including dessert and NO DISHES!!:D

Well, I could tell you about some really great locations for dumpsters, unfortunately, the raccoons, cats, and bears beat most of us off, so we need to feed off the NCL ships....

Mr & Mrs Lobster... whose kiddies aren't big enough to be eaten yet, are getting tired of losing their youngsters too ... sniff .. sniff... :eek: :p

Don't let them scare you away from your food. The bears may be LMB in disguise !!!

So, you haven't cruised on NCL for 15 years? How do you know what it is like now?

Not sure how you could presume I have not cruised NCL for 15 years from my post. I guess anything is possible. :confused:

I have cruised on NCL four times this year so far with more booked. I know what cruising is like now and then. That is what makes my perspective so valuable. I can compare first hand, not using second and third hand 'reviews' like so many tend to do on these boards.

Not sure how you could presume I have not cruised NCL for 15 years from my post. I guess anything is possible. :confused:

I have cruised on NCL four times this year so far with more booked. I know what cruising is like now and then. That is what makes my perspective so valuable. I can compare first hand, not using second and third hand 'reviews' like so many tend to do on these boards.

Ok, I admit I was only going on what you stated here.......opinion based on what cruising was like 15 years ago (that was your statement).

Question for you (and you do not need to answer, really); what I have observed on CC, including posts on other threads, that you have repeated said you think NCL is not a good cruise 'product' yet you said you have cruised on NCL 4 times in the last year and have more booked? What up with that; why would you cruise NCL if you do not even like the cruise line and what they have to offer?

The reason I am asking is that your posts seem to have an unhappy intent and that you do not like NCL.

Again, just wondering why you would waste your precious time.

Happy cruising. :)

Food is such a subjective thing. I have always eaten in the buffet for breakfast, lunch and MDR with the occasional specialty for dinner and always enjoyed my food wondering what people were complaining about. And yes I did always order the lobster often two without the turf. However, my last cruise Epic/June/July with the new menus which many people are saying they are enjoying I am now the person struggling. On the regular menu I couldn't find one appetiser or dessert I could eat. I had to rely on the daily changeable side and hope something came up. I had to adjust all the mains eg I can't eat a steak that now comes swimming in oil and butter, two mouthfuls in I was ready to puke. The rack of lamb was nice, but I did order it without the herb crust and requested mint sauce instead. Even at the lunch buffet some days there was no carvery meat, just paninis (I don't eat them). I guess they are trying to cut costs to keep the fare down. It must be hard to please the masses as we all have different likes. Some people say the food is too bland, but what flavours do you add as we all might not like the flavours added. So from being someone who always enjoyed my food I'm now the picky whinger! I did enjoy my buffet breakfasts.

The issue is somewhat more complex than just I prefer this line and don't like that line. Some of it has to do with where you live. For example, I live in NYC. Check the cruise schedule out of NYC to see which line has the most cruises. And of course if you take a few cruises for convenience, than you build up some points and even in those cases where you have a choice, it is probably to your advantage to take the line where you have some status, small as the perks may be.

Last year, because of the schedule I took two Carnival cruises out of NYC so when I did a Mediteranean cruise last year, I chose Carnival over NCL. We can argue the relative merits of one vs. another. In my opinion, Carnival's food in the mdr's is somewhat better; for example shrimp cocktails are on the every day menu and I had two each night. I know, that is not the whole thing. I get that. I had a nice sized lobster tail on lobster night. Again, that's not the whole thing. Of course, NCL's thing are the specialty restaurants which Carnival does not have. I also prefer coke products to pepsi products and while that certainly may be insignificant, it could be a tie breaker.

But this year (calendar 2014), Carnival has pulled out of Europe. They have cut down on their cruises out of NYC So for a veriety of reasons, this year it ended up being NCL and of course the more I did NCL, the more I got some status on my latitudes account. Again not THE factor but a tie breaker.

I do read the reviews and of course they are always mixed although I would say at least reading the reviews of the Breakaway recently including one I wrote, there seem to be more negative comments regarding the food than has been in the past which is not to say that all the comments are negative. Three or four of the recents reviews of the Breakaway cruise I took rated the food as 2. In the interests of being fair and balanced, a couple also gave the food 4 or 5.

So I suppose all this is to say that food is not the most important determining factor for me; convenience and itineraries are. But it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too, right?

Edited by MATHA531

I agree that it's been a gradual cheapening. It's been subtle. It's both little (using Krab in the jumbalaya, not encouraging iced tea for an option in the MDR) and big (removing shrimp cocktail and lobster tails). To some, the shrimp cocktail and lobster were always pathetic, anyway. To others, it was a treat.

NCL has decided to cater to the Haven cruiser via special areas/options and the cheapest inside cruiser via cheapening the inclusive experience to sell cheap cabins. Those in the middle are probably the most at risk for NCL to lose.

Edited by weltek

The issue is somewhat more complex than just I prefer this line and don't like that line. Some of it has to do with where you live. For example, I live in NYC. Check the cruise schedule out of NYC to see which line has the most cruises. And of course if you take a few cruises for convenience, than you build up some points and even in those cases where you have a choice, it is probably to your advantage to take the line where you have some status, small as the perks may be.

Last year, because of the schedule I took two Carnival cruises out of NYC so when I did a Mediteranean cruise last year, I chose Carnival over NCL. We can argue the relative merits of one vs. another. In my opinion, Carnival's food in the mdr's is somewhat better; for example shrimp cocktails are on the every day menu and I had two each night. I know, that is not the whole thing. I get that. I had a nice sized lobster tail on lobster night. Again, that's not the whole thing. Of course, NCL's thing are the specialty restaurants which Carnival does not have. I also prefer coke products to pepsi products and while that certainly may be insignificant, it could be a tie breaker.

But this year (calendar 2015), Carnival has pulled out of Europe. They have cut down on their cruises out of NYC So for a veriety of reasons, this year it ended up being NCL and of course the more I did NCL, the more I got some status on my latitudes account. Again not THE factor but a tie breaker.

I do read the reviews and of course they are always mixed although I would say at least reading the reviews of the Breakaway recently including one I wrote, there seem to be more negative comments regarding the food than has been in the past which is not to say that all the comments are negative. Three or four of the recents reviews of the Breakaway cruise I took rated the food as 2. In the interests of being fair and balanced, a couple also gave the food 4 or 5.

So I suppose all this is to say that food is not the most important determining factor for me; convenience and itineraries are. But it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too, right?

Yes, of course.

But then again, we'd still be putting up with people complaining that the cake isn't as good as "it used to be". :rolleyes:

Already2 cruise

Guessing she really had no clue what she was talking about.

LOL

As SGT. Joe Friday used to say Facts ma'am only the Facts .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fact is NCL chow is way better than the crap I had to make myself for dinner . :(

Of all the myths and misconceptions about NCL, this one is totally without basis in reality. You can get totally acceptable (sometimes wonderful) food on NCL without going to any specialty restaurants.

It might be however....that many are not looking forward to "acceptable" or "sometimes wonderful" food when embarking on a cruise....

We have cruised for 35+ years now and have seen the quality and variety of foods served on major cruise lines decline. Does this stop us from cruising? Of course not! BUT to fault someone for wanting more than "acceptable" is probably going a bit too far.

Ok, I admit I was only going on what you stated here.......opinion based on what cruising was like 15 years ago (that was your statement).

Question for you (and you do not need to answer, really); what I have observed on CC, including posts on other threads, that you have repeated said you think NCL is not a good cruise 'product' yet you said you have cruised on NCL 4 times in the last year and have more booked? What up with that; why would you cruise NCL if you do not even like the cruise line and what they have to offer?

The reason I am asking is that your posts seem to have an unhappy intent and that you do not like NCL.

Again, just wondering why you would waste your precious time.

Happy cruising. :)

You really need to slow way down when reading my posts. I stated I have cruised four times this year. Maybe read them several times to fully digest the information correctly?

I have never stated I think NCL is 'not a good cruise product'. I come to cruise critic and point out flaws that I notice as well as good points. The overall product is pretty good or I would not continue sailing with NCL. However it is not nearly perfect and certainly someone should make note of the failures so hopefully they can be corrected.

The rainbows and unicorns from so many people will not improve the product.

That what up with that. :)

You really need to slow way down when reading my posts. I stated I have cruised four times this year. Maybe read them several times to fully digest the information correctly?

I have never stated I think NCL is 'not a good cruise product'. I come to cruise critic and point out flaws that I notice as well as good points. The overall product is pretty good or I would not continue sailing with NCL. However it is not nearly perfect and certainly someone should make note of the failures so hopefully they can be corrected.

Thing is this- if many of us on here felt the same way about a company the way that you profess to feel about NCL (from reading many of your posts on many different threads) we would find someone else to do business with. There is such a thing as being hyper-critical to the point of being illogical.

The problem with your position is that the people spouting the "rainbows and unicorns" aren't interested in changing the product. However, you actually are interesting in changing it ("...so hopefully they can be corrected")

The root of the issue for so many people is in WHY are you coming here to point out flaws as you see them? We don't care. We don't agree. We can't change anything. And you certainly are not going to change anyone's opinion based on your jaded perceptions.

If you are truely interested in improving the product (taking you at your word), then you need to start addressing issues in the proper manner and through the proper channels. The continual carping here does nothing but damage your credibility...both here and with the cruise line.

The problem with your position is that the people spouting the "rainbows and unicorns" aren't interested in changing the product. However, you actually are interesting in changing it ("...so hopefully they can be corrected")

The root of the issue for so many people is in WHY are you coming here to point out flaws as you see them? We don't care. We don't agree. We can't change anything. And you certainly are not going to change anyone's opinion based on your jaded perceptions.

If you are truely interested in improving the product (taking you at your word), then you need to start addressing issues in the proper manner and through the proper channels. The continual carping here does nothing but damage your credibility...both here and with the cruise line.

Who is we? I'm as annoyed by people who act like they are speaking for the rest of us, as I am with those who are either hyper-critical or rainbows and unicorns. I'm going to sort through it myself, and I appreciate being able to do so.

Who is we? I'm as annoyed by people who act like they are speaking for the rest of us, as I am with those who are either hyper-critical or rainbows and unicorns. I'm going to sort through it myself, and I appreciate being able to do so.

Ready for an argument today?? :eek: The response you quoted was a reply to another poster. Not to you. Perhaps that is something to take into consideration before inserting yourself. :rolleyes:

Gotta love the haters and the pot-stirrers.

Oh, OK. I am not sure why you needed to say a rude comment to me in the first sentences but I do not know you and maybe that is your style. :)

I did not mean to 'start' anything on here. I was just wondering what your perspective is; my perception, based on your responses, is that you are not a fan of NCL. (And we all know perception is reality.)

Now I know this is not the case. Thanks for your response.

Hope you continue to enjoy your future cruises on NCL.

Edited by Cruisercl

It might be however....that many are not looking forward to "acceptable" or "sometimes wonderful" food when embarking on a cruise....

We have cruised for 35+ years now and have seen the quality and variety of foods served on major cruise lines decline. Does this stop us from cruising? Of course not! BUT to fault someone for wanting more than "acceptable" is probably going a bit too far.

It is OK to complain about the decline of food, but do you remember what you paid for your cruise in 1979 (35 years ago)

If in (enter year) 1979

I purchased an item for $ 100.00

then in (enter year*) 2014

that same item would cost: 327.69

Cumulative rate of inflation: 227.7

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

You are getting a real bargain on cruises today, so you must expect the cruise lines to cut costs somewhere or raise prices. Which do you prefer ?

Ready for an argument today?? :eek: The response you quoted was a reply to another poster. Not to you. Perhaps that is something to take into consideration before inserting yourself. :rolleyes:

Gotta love the haters and the pot-stirrers.

No argument. You can look up the definition of the word "we", or I can have a 3 year old explain it to you.

Have a nice day.

I agree with the previous poster. We have cruised many times on NCL in the past few years and have always enjoyed both the choices and the food at the main restaurants. On the Dawn, we really liked the Aqua, both food and ambiance. While we do go to speciality restaurants, we usually go only because we are platinum cruisers with NCL, and we each get a free meal there. We have found that when they eliminate something we enjoyed, they substitute something else which is also enjoyable. No complaints here.

This. And the same conversation comes up on all three of the mainstream lines' boards I read. And I do agree with the OP on one thing....perhaps "free" food was more impressive on cruiselines 10-20 years ago....before I started cruising. Cruisers should not expect gourmet on mainstream lines unless paying gourmet prices.

No argument. You can look up the definition of the word "we", or I can have a 3 year old explain it to you.

Have a nice day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

I am over three, but I need someone to explain this to me !!

BTW -- You are looking for an argument !!!

Edited by swedish weave