Washing clothes in cabin

lorri111

Hi, I am on the Regal Princess next month and am wondering if there are retractable washing lines in the cabins on this ship (or the other Princess ones) - I'm in a mini suite if that makes a difference. I have seen some retractable clothes lines you can buy but they seem to attach by suction cups and I doubt they would support the weight of wet stuff.

Hi, I am on the Regal Princess next month and am wondering if there are retractable washing lines in the cabins on this ship (or the other Princess ones) - I'm in a mini suite if that makes a difference. I have seen some retractable clothes lines you can buy but they seem to attach by suction cups and I doubt they would support the weight of wet stuff.

In the balcony cabins I've been in there is a line in the shower that from my experience works fine.

Tom:)

Love the Royal's sink, but we always bring a stretchable travel clothesline that attaches to the wall on either side of the cabin. It has suction cups and holds well if stuck to the picture on either wide of the room but on the Royal Princess our cabin only had one picture. We're bringing magnet hooks in the future.

A trick i learned from CC...bring a gallon size zip lock bag to use as a wash basin. Add water and some liquid soap and you have your own little washing machine (manually squeeze the bag). It works. Thanks to whoever gave me that idea.

A trick i learned from CC...bring a gallon size zip lock bag to use as a wash basin. Add water and some liquid soap and you have your own little washing machine (manually squeeze the bag). It works. Thanks to whoever gave me that idea.

What a fantastic idea - I would never have thought of that. We always pack some stuff in gallon ziplocs so I don't even have to pack extras.

We prefer to use the laundry facilities on the ship. The sink I use to wash my face and brush my teeth, mixed with dirty clothes just has an "ick factor". I think I'm more easily grossed out as I get older. :o $2 for wash and then you can bring things back to hang in shower. We've never had any problems with the washing machines, other than when DH does his laundry, socks mysteriously disappear. :rolleyes:

I love the ziplock washing idea! Reminds me of my girl scout days!:D

I take my liq laundry soap in a small shampoo bottle with me (also in a baggie for leaks) - good for putting on stains and doing hand laundry. Better than the bar of soap - does not leave white residue. And a few small ($store) plastic pegs. Always rinse my swim wear if, and some of my tops/undies - saves packing as many, and I do not want to put them in commercial washers.

We only use the "clothes-line" for our swimsuits. Other than that, we just keep the dirty clothes in a seperate suitcase (under the bed). End of cruise, we pack the dirty clothes in 2 gallon, zip-lock bags (to keep it seperate from the clean clothes that we didn't wear).

We're on a cruise to vacation; not do chores.

Seriously, the odds are that you are going to pack WAY TO MANY clothes (everyone does). So, it is doubtful that you'll really need to do laundry. But, if you absolutely must do something (i.e. - get that spot out before the stain sets), then either use the on-board laundromat, or, send it out.

Why not just hang the stuff on a hanger & put it on the closet close line. Works fine for me.

Hmmm, because the floor below is carpeted???? One wouldn't want to cause mold/mildew developing on the floor. Unless you have a super-duper way of having absolutely no water remaining on your hand-washed clothes, this might not be a good choice.

I prefer to pack light and generally rarely pack too much or anything I won't use. I also hand wash undies and many other casual items because we try to wear "tech" clothes that are light-weight and quik-dry. Each time (afternoon or evening,) while taking my shower, I bring into the shower whatever I wish to wash and simply do it while I'm in the shower. It's not really a chore and I roll them up in a towel to squeeze out excess water and hang them on the line. The trick is keeping the shower curtain open to allow the AC to blow onto them. 99 out of 100 times they are dry by the next morning. Of course, I pack other items to wear, enough for 3-4 changes but I prefer packing light.

Hmmm, because the floor below is carpeted???? One wouldn't want to cause mold/mildew developing on the floor. Unless you have a super-duper way of having absolutely no water remaining on your hand-washed clothes, this might not be a good choice.

I prefer to pack light and generally rarely pack too much or anything I won't use. I also hand wash undies and many other casual items because we try to wear "tech" clothes that are light-weight and quik-dry. Each time (afternoon or evening,) while taking my shower, I bring into the shower whatever I wish to wash and simply do it while I'm in the shower. It's not really a chore and I roll them up in a towel to squeeze out excess water and hang them on the line. The trick is keeping the shower curtain open to allow the AC to blow onto them. 99 out of 100 times they are dry by the next morning. Of course, I pack other items to wear, enough for 3-4 changes but I prefer packing light.

I always ring out the moisture with a towel & it never drips onto the carpet. Plus the AC is always better in the cabin area letting anything dry by the next day. I've been traveling for years brining just the bear minimum & washing items out every day. My goal is to travel with just 1 small carry on suitcase. :D

Are you aware there are self serve laundromats on all Princess ships? You can bring quarters or get some at guest services.

Many of us are talking about those delicate items that we don't want to put in the washing machines (much less send out to the ship's laundry:eek:). Some other items that my daughter and I like to wear can be washed by machine but need to be air dried. At home, I can control that better as I do the "girl's" laundry and my hubby (who throws anything he washes into the dryer) does his. He'll often volunteer to do the washing on the ship, but I have to be sure to stick to him so I can make sure to get our air-dryables away from him as he still doesn't get after many years of marriage that some things like bras don't go into the dryer:rolleyes: So sometimes it's easier to just hand wash those items.

Since we're doing cruises that are longer than seven-day ones lately, we are going to need to clean some items.

Many of us are talking about those delicate items that we don't want to put in the washing machines (much less send out to the ship's laundry:eek:).

Since we're doing cruises that are longer than seven-day ones lately' date=' we are going to need to clean some items.[/quote']

Delicate or not there will come the day when they'll ruin something decent of yours. Either by shrinking, color staining or tears.

IT WILL HAPPEN.

Let me add that it seems to happen only on laundry- not the cleaning process.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

Most things that get dirty on ships are sent out or go home with me.

For bathing suits and my undies I just use shampoo to wash them out. Those things dry pretty well overnight on the clothesline above the tub/shower. :)

LuLu

I like to use the Laundromats but use the ship's services for our dry cleaning. We usually do cruises longer than 10 days (a retirement benefit:D ). I dislike paying for the third piece of luggage. :( When we get home I don't have two days worth of laundry to do.:):)

Enjoyed reading comments. We'll be taking a 28 day cruise in the spring and will be doing some hand washing. Beware of sending out your delicates! We still laugh at the time we sent my bras to be cleaned and they all came back with the hooks closed and fused shut! My husband had to use something to pry them open for me to finish out the cruise. Unfortunately they were not worth a darn and had to be pitched when we returned home. Lesson learned!:)

How very clever! Thank you. It got me thinking that maybe I will bring one of those collapsible salad spinners they sell at camping equipment sites with me on my next long cruise. That way I can put the washed delicates in it, give it a spin and it will wring them out without having to roll them in towels. I'll have my own mini washer and dryer. :)

Sorry, I just refuse to do laundry on a cruise. We just send it out to be done if necessary. All our stuff on Princess comes back nicely ironed. They also do a nice job with the dry cleaning. Definitely a great suite perk. We came home from our last cruise with nearly all clean clothes. I didn't have to spend days afterward catching up on laundry and we don't have to lug so darn much stuff to the ship.

They also do a nice job with the dry cleaning.

Neither Princess or any other cruise line still does "dry cleaning."

Princess calls it "cleaning" and it uses a different process than true "dry cleaning" due to environmental restrictions on chemical that "dry cleaning" used.