CB skipping Princess Cays

geoherb

The captain announced at the end of the muster drill that we will have an extra day at sea. The CB will sail west of Cuba to avoid Bertha. Shore excursions will be refined automatically. I wonder if we will get the port free back.

The captain announced at the end of the muster drill that we will have an extra day at sea. The CB will sail west of Cuba to avoid Bertha. Shore excursions will be refined automatically. I wonder if we will get the port free back.

You should.

Of course you will...

Since the island is owned and maintained by the cruise line I doubt if there would be any port fee.

No, there's a nominal charge. A couple of years back, we missed Princess Cays and promptly received a credit on our folios...

Since the island is owned and maintained by the cruise line I doubt if there would be any port fee.

The island is not owned by the cruise line. Princess Cays is on the island of Elueuthera in the Bahamas and Princess leases a portion of the island that they use for cruise passengers.

There will be port charges refund but it won't be much.

Edited by Coral

We sailed during hurricane season down in that area a few years back...had to miss the Princess Cays and one other island in the Bahamas. We got port charges back for the non-privately owned island and not for Princess Cays. Too bad you will miss this...it is my favorite. The captain may still do something a bit special, though.

One time up in Alaska, there were 100 mile an hour winds throughout the inside passage. Because there were so many people that were sea sick that day, he arranged it to change course to sail between BC mainland and Vancouver Island instead of the route on the outside....it was amazing. Really amazing. Sometimes they are able to do something a little special if they feel as though they might have left you with less than you paid for. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Ugh! So very sorry to hear! We just got off CB this morning and that was one of my favorite days, the island is beautiful! But you are best to be on the ship if the weather isn't nice, nothing to do there but beach fun... Enjoy your cruise day and say hi to Wilson and Ana in crooners...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We missed Princess Cays on both of our scheduled days on the Emerald in March. Expect a refund of $18 per person, and make sure you get it. For some reason the first day was credited back to our shipboard account, but not the second. I had to contact Princess after we returned home to get our $36. Took awhile, but eventually we got it.

And we automatically received our refund for those same Princess Cays misses on the Emerald Princess in March (which means various passengers on the same cruise were treated differently), but not for a miss in December. Someone who asked at the PSD was told that there weren't any port charges for Princess Cays. Well, there are, they are $18pp and if you don't get them back, you should escalate the issue. Princess actually collects these fees on behalf of the various governmental entities; for them to keep them when they are not required must be illegal somewhere.

We finally received a credit card refund for $36 two months after I was promised one by Princess Customer Relations, after we returned home.

That's what I get for trying to type on my phone. I'm glad everyone understood port fee for "port free" in my first post. I haven't checked our statements yet. They announced that anyone who had excursions booked at Princess Cays would automatically receive a refund and to please not bother the people at the excursion desk.

We will enjoy the extra day at sea. They've added a lot of activities to the Patter to keep us occupied.

Edited by geoherb

That's what I get for trying to type on my phone. I'm glad everyone understood port fee for "port free" in my first post. I haven't checked our statements yet. They announced that anyone who had excursions booked at Princess Cays would automatically receive a refund and to please not bother the people at the excursion desk.

We will enjoy the extra day at sea. They've added a lot of activities to the Patter to keep us occupied.

Enjoy the sea day!