Have you ever tried MSC?

mcatmcat

Hi

I am Esmerald level in royal and honestly I love royal caribbean. Sailed in carnival and ncl but they are not for me. I live in south florida and recently MSC is bombarding us with ad about MSC. Some friends that sailed with MSC divina are telling the the ship is awesome and so on. I saw some youtube videos and honestly the ship looks amazing and the food presentation is astonishing.

But to have a better idea I was wondering who have taken MSC that also love royal caribbean. Is it worth it?

Last but not least I am in the mid 20 and I will be sailing with my girlfriend

bye !! :)

My sister just came back from MSC DIVINA. She's been on multiple RCCL, & Princess cruises. She said the Divina is a beautiful ship, very modern, nice cabin space, however she did complain about the food & lack of entertainment.

She said after 9 previous cruises, MSC had to the worst food. She also said the big TV screen on lido deck is not being used like they should (you know Princess' movie under the stars style, it was just useless).

She mainly took MSC due to the amazing prices, timing and just like you, being bombarded with ads, specials, bonus, etc MSC is offering. She would not go back to MSC, but she said for the price, it was an ok experience.

We sailed on MSc Armonia on a Canaries and North Africa cruise. We had previously done 2 cruises, the Baltics and Iceland/Norway on Royal

The ship was beautiful, the entertainment mostly good, the drinks package amazing value and the staff fabulous. The food in the MDR was mostly good. I di not like the buffet much but my husband did. There was always something to eat!.

Yes people complain about the announcements (5 languages) but tbh, I never really noticed them!

MSc have some fantastic bargains. Go for it

We sailed MSC orchestra for 21 days TA

We are Royalists but would sail MSC for sure again

For the right itinerary.

The lines are comparably equal

Except for Oasis and Allure.

Edited by ssb

We sailed on The Divina when she first sailed out of Miami, it is great ship and the food was good. It was obvious that it would take the crew a while to settle into the American market. However at the deals being offered I would sail on that ship again without doubt. :D Although Royal is still our preferred cruise line.

My sister just came back from MSC DIVINA. She's been on multiple RCCL, & Princess cruises. She said the Divina is a beautiful ship, very modern, nice cabin space, however she did complain about the food & lack of entertainment.

My folks, D+ on Royal, and have sailed all the mass market lines over the past 30 years, went on Divina and came back and raved about the entertainment. Opera, Michael Jackson tribute, a show every night, huge cast. They have also mentioned about getting burnt out on RCI entertainment lately, so maybe just because it was a change for them?

They did say the ship was nice. Their price for 7 days in a balcony was about the same as 3 nights oceanview on Majesty. I doubt deals that good are running any more, it was a last minute fire sale and they are local to the ship, but I do see some enticing ads from them for reasonable cost. The ship looks gorgeous in photos. I would certainly try MSC for the right price.

DH and I are moving to south Florida next year, and it's our plan to try some other cruise lines. MSC Divinia is at the top of our list. We've sailed almost exclusively with RCI for 20 years, with one Celebrity (liked it and would do again,) and one Carnival (probably won't do again anytime soon.)

An acquaintance of mine is cruising on the Divinia later this year and will be writing a review. I'm really looking forward to hearing her impressions.

I suggest reading this review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021974

The OP is not tied to any one specific cruise line. I find his reviews refreshing. He has a lot of knowledge about the industry. :)

Thank you for this link. I enjoyed reading the OP's review, and learning more about a ship that I definitely want to cruise on:)

My family & I have been on several cruises.. 9 RCCL, 5 Carnival, 4 Princess and one MSC... we did the Lirica on a 10 day southern.. most cleanest ship ever.. however the food, service, entertainment IMHO was the worst.

End up losing wt.. but again it was the cleanest ship I ever been on.

The crew (besides the wait staff and stewards) were the worst. They even treated them bad. Went to complain and they started to laugh at us and speak in their language.. honest. Called another customer a dumb americana..

Again very nice clean ship.. islands were beautiful.. (lots of food on them to eat and take back)

But two each their own.. I wouldn't bring kids on it..

My DW and I have cruised MSC in the past, and if and when the opportunity again arises, we would not hesitate to do it again.

MSC give messages to all passengers in five languages, English not being the first, some years ago.

We have enjoyed 4 trips with MSC, and probably this coming year, we will be cruising with them again.

This being a Royal Caribbean site, I will not relate to some to total fun that we had with MSC, except to say, it's been a long time, and we will be back.:)

Rick

We did the Orchestra back in 09.

Our family liked it a lot and would do it again no problem.

The ship was beautiful and very clean.

My only issue is that the itineraries are very weak on the dates I can go, so I have passed on them the last couple of years.

However, I can see the RC "hard-liners" having issues.

The staff does not worship the guests and that might put some people out...

Edited by matj2000

She said after 9 previous cruises, MSC had to the worst food. She also said the big TV screen on lido deck is not being used like they should (you know Princess' movie under the stars style, it was just useless).

She mainly took MSC due to the amazing prices, timing and just like you, being bombarded with ads, specials, bonus, etc MSC is offering. She would not go back to MSC, but she said for the price, it was an ok experience.

Msc has the best enterainment at sea and yes we have been on the Oasis and Allure and as far as food we found msc MDR better than any RCL.

Edited by riclop

...in the Yacht Club part of the Divina. Youtube it.

It the most incredible experience ever and for not much more than a JS on Oasis...plus all your booze is included.

That was in January. Loved it so much that we rebooked for next March.

We will be on the Oasis in a few weeks. It is hard to compare because they are completely different experiences.

I think of MSC as the Euro version of RCL, i.e. mainstream, family friendly. That doesn't mean they're the same but they try to achieve a similar thing, so you shouldn't be 'disappointed' if you're looking for an equivalent. But if you're actually wanting the same as RCL e.g rock climbing walls, that's not what they do.

So it depends on personal preferences, and how open you are to new things. If you just go wanting it to be the same as RCL, you'll be disappointed.

My sister just came back from MSC DIVINA.

Food is subjective and I found the food the same. The best Pizza is on Divina. and for the big screen, they ran 3 movie nights on my cruise. They also had other video such as opera at night. maybe she just missed out.

On that note this ship was excellent. I take it over some of Royals offerings. More not in your face selling selling selling like on Royal. its more quiet time on the pool deck and intercom. thing quiet time like Celebrity.

I thought the question was about MSG not MSC so nevermind.:p:D

Seriously now, nice to heard that most people have some good things to say about MSC. Until now, it has not been on our radar but maybe MSC is a line to consider but not until 2 more cruises with Royal for the next loyal level. We're quite easy going and have managed to enjoy four different lines. One is a definite favorite but we wouldn't hesitate to go any of the other three......well, maybe one of them.;)

I took a cruise on the Divina a month or so ago because the price was great. I am not keen on large ships but it was fine. As to food, my daughter asked how it was and my response was, "Mediocre." I certainly would not write home about it.

Hi

I am Esmerald level in royal and honestly I love royal caribbean. Sailed in carnival and ncl but they are not for me. I live in south florida and recently MSC is bombarding us with ad about MSC. Some friends that sailed with MSC divina are telling the the ship is awesome and so on. I saw some youtube videos and honestly the ship looks amazing and the food presentation is astonishing.

But to have a better idea I was wondering who have taken MSC that also love royal caribbean. Is it worth it?

Last but not least I am in the mid 20 and I will be sailing with my girlfriend

bye !! :)

I toured the Divina in March ( I'm an agent) and I thought she was THEE most beautiful ship I have ever seen- and I've cruise 29x and toured 40+ ships...also, a cruise critic employee ( Jennifer) has posted her review on the MSC site, and she LOVED the Divina..her kids are STILL talking about it, and that was 4 months ago!! On top of that, they are Disney cruise fans, and still loved the Divina..warning: reviews are mixed, but I find the bad ones are people who hate & complain about everything..they are different because they are a EUROPEAN CRUISE LINE, different from U.S, cruise lines..Jen said the food & shows were amazing and that steak she had in the Eately ( $$ place) was THEE best steak she ever had on land OR sea..big statement...GREAT deals now on MSC..balcony cabins for 7 days for $469?? WOW!! At that price I would give it a try- I was very impressed by the ship on our tour- and we're Diamond on RCI...

Big Al

Have sailed MSC, not Divinia, but Orchestra.

Would never hesitate to sail MSC again.

Loved the ship, entertainment and food.

The worst part of the cruise were Americans complaining about the lack of McDonald's!!! And not too kindly- absolutely rudest group I have ever been around:mad:

We found everything to our liking, the quietness (not selling a bunch of stuff), the food was excellent and the entertainment - European - singing and trapeze acts - very nice. Quiet around the pool - YES!!

21 days and enjoyed every minute:)

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

I would try MSC in a heartbeat if the price as right (I feel similarly about Costa and Aida as well)

My friend's parents sailed with MSC a few years ago before they became RCL fans and said that the food/entertainment was good but there were quite a few Americans that didnt like either but said it was because it was more suited to the European market in that the food was very Med/continental rather than burgers and steak etc. They also said a lot of the shows were dance/performance as then all languages could appreciate it and I guess there are some people like speech.

Personally it sounds wonderful (I love the Med and its food)

Take that comment as you will but maybe the change the menu/style when in the Caribbean?

Edited by Velvetwater

The most modern, stylish & well-kept fleet on the seas - the ship itself will not disappoint.

Food is subjective - Italian ship, Italian food. Lots of little courses, emphasis on pasta. What isn't Italian generally isn't so good - an English breakfast for instance.

We found the theatre entertainment excellent, mainly visual to avoid language barriers.

Staff are more reserved - not in-you-face. Some see this as a lack of friendliness.

Check out times in port. I don't know about the Caribbean, but in Europe a tendancy to work on short port hours.

The cruise prices, especially deals for kids, are a big draw.

Go looking for an RCI experience & you'll be disappointed. :(

That I suspect is the main reason for more poor reviews from north Americans & Brits than most other lines.

Go with the flow & you'll enjoy. :)

JB :)

I have sailed HAL, CCL, NCL, Cunard, Princess and the absolutely stunning MSC Lirica. MSC ships are spotless- check their CDC scores. Yes, the announcements are blah blah etc etc- same complaints every time you even touch on the subject of MSC. The food? "Don't get the beef" was the best advice I ever received about MSC on CC. Smart! I got the beef one night and it was comically tough. Otherwise- risotto with squid ink was one dish I remember- literally a pile of risotto with...black. Lots and lots of squid on the menu. Anything with seafood had squid front and center. I will die without willingly eating squid! Dinners go on for a long time, lots of courses, and no- the waiters are not the typical Indonesian, bend over backwards types. They are more like shoreside waiters. Overall the food was good to very good and it was nice to have a massive array of new options. I have spent a lot of time traveling in Europe and that is possibly why I had such an open mind about MSC.

I really want to sail MSC again. I'm cruising mostly in the summer now and it hasn't been an option. Trust me- the ships are stunning.