Possible man overboard on Grandeur

Allegedly, a 70 yr. old solo male traveler committed suicide sometime late Wed. to early Thurs aboard the Grandeur. Personnel did not know until a note was found by the cabin attendant.

Here is the article:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/08/articles/disappearances-1/person-overboard-from-royal-caribbeans-grandeur-of-the-seas/

The non compliance with the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010 is going to be another bad mark for the cruise industry at the hearings in D.C.

The systems capable of automatically detecting a man overboard, and differentiating between a person and object are just now coming on line and being installed on ships. The law says the systems will be installed "to the extent technology is available." It takes time to install and test these systems on ships and it isn't the cruise lines who install them. It's reliant on the availability of the contractors.

As for why they didn't turn around....even Jim Walker should have enough common sense there. But common sense wouldn't support his greed, so....:rolleyes:

If someone is bent on hurting themselves there is nothing the cruise industry can do. This is just another blood sucking lawyer trying to extract money from a lucrative industry. And since there are so many people looking for a free ride these days he will have no issues getting people to initiate lawsuits. A sad thing for this persons family but he would have done this some other way anyway. To hold the cruise line responsible is ridiculous.

A lonely way to go out. Family and friends must be shattered by this.

One would hope that he had friends and family. As no further information regarding the incident has yet to be published, it would be impossible to speculate what his motivations were and whether there is anyone that would mourn his loss.

I wasn't really concerned with the questions he raised -- just wanted to note the incident on the boards as I had not seen it mentioned.

Of course......

The non compliance with the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010 is going to be another bad mark for the cruise industry at the hearings in D.C.

:rolleyes:

Blows my mind how some people decide to end it... I mean if you are going to do it put some thought into it.

Jumping off a ship... Could float for hours before drowning... Which is slow and painful in itself....Jeez... Some people.

And the authors comment about the ship not going back.... As if they were wrong to keep going.... !?!? Its 12 hours in the middle f the ocean and he was 70.... Lets be realistic about his chances... And finding that exact spot plus currents and drift...come on.... Is this even a legit source?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Deptacon

I agree as I also refuse to view his website.

Most people know he is the ambulance chaser type, but let's also face facts that his site reported factual news and this is the first it made it to CC. You don't have to like or respect him to acknowledge that he has provided us with news.

Most people know he is the ambulance chaser type, but let's also face facts that his site reported factual news and this is the first it made it to CC. You don't have to like or respect him to acknowledge that he has provided us with news.
Clicking on his website supports him and I refuse to do it as I consider him an enemy of the cruise industry.

Sorry but I entirely disagree on this. There´s not much factual News on his site and even the far and few Facts you might find in between the BS he Posts on his site I don´t consider as fact unless they are confirmed by reliable sources. So nope I don´t consider anything on there as factual News.

He did not provide any News on CC either, that´s unless he is the OP.

The systems capable of automatically detecting a man overboard, and differentiating between a person and object are just now coming on line and being installed on ships. The law says the systems will be installed "to the extent technology is available." It takes time to install and test these systems on ships and it isn't the cruise lines who install them. It's reliant on the availability of the contractors.

As for why they didn't turn around....even Jim Walker should have enough common sense there. But common sense wouldn't support his greed, so....:rolleyes:

Jim Walker does not let common sense get in the way of his mission against the cruise lines. I follow him on twitter because he does sometimes make good points. The cruise lines are also greedy and need counterpoints, but a lawyer who makes his living off of suing them has to be taken skepticism, particularly Walker, who often goes extreme and makes irrational claims and statements.

Clicking on his website supports him and I refuse to do it as I consider him an enemy of the cruise industry.

The cruise industry needs some enemies. The problem with Walker is that he is extreme. I follow him on twitter as sometimes there is info there first and once in a while he is correct. His problem is that his hatred and adversary relationship to the cruise industry have made his site a joke.

LIKE!

While the suicide is very sad, that's not the point of the article. Sadly, Jim Walker sees a passenger death as another way to discredit the cruise lines and make a buck.:mad: He doesn't care at all about the human side of the story, which to me is the story...not the cruise lines' failure to immediately take ships out of service to install systems that are just now coming available. You or I hear about a cruise ship death and we immediately think of the passenger and the family. Jim Walker hears about a cruise ship death and he thinks about dollars -- lots of dollars.

My fear is that at some point the government is going to step in and legislate measures that will make a cruise not a cruise -- like unclimbable plexiglass walls and chain-link overhead in open areas.:mad: You can't save everybody who does something stupid when they're drunk, and unfortunately you can't prevent every suicide either.:(