Forward facing balconies on Marina deck - Royal or Regal

shutterbug63

Princess newbie back again with another question. I'm still debating between two cabins on the Regal in March.

I'm considering one of the balconies on the front of the ship on the Lido deck. Not the corner ones that are suites, but the deluxe balconies (i.e. M103) that face directly forward.

I know they'll be windy, but I'm wondering how windy. Has anyone had one of those balconies, and how windy was it? Was the balcony useable most of the time, part of the time, or not much at all?

Any information would be appreciated. :-)

Those questions are impossible to answer since the answer depends upon which direction will the wind be blowing.

For example. Assume the ship is proceeding at 20 MPH. If the wind is blowing in the same direction the ship is heading also at 20 MPH, the wind speed on the balcony will be the difference in the speed of the ship and the speed of the wind. In this case, zero, there will be no wind and the balcony is usable.

Now suppose the ship is still proceeding at 20 MPH say due north and the wind is blowing from north at 20 MPH, then the speed of the wind on the balcony will be the sum of the two speeds or 40 MPH. You probably won't want to use the balcony.

You could do some research and determine the average wind speed and direction for that area of the world and compare that to various directions and speeds the ship would be heading... But that's a lot of work.

I had a corner unit, L108, on a 30-day transatlantic/Baltics in April/May. It was sooooo windy. There were times you could go out on the balcony. Other times, you couldn't even get the door open. That wasn't the problem, though. When the ship was at full speed and it was really windy (about 5 nights total), the vibration and deafening drone prevented me from falling asleep. Ear plugs did not work. So I had to call down to pax service and they contacted the bridge. The bridge tweaked the direction and the drone/vibration went away. Other than that, it's a great location.

I had a corner unit, L108, on a 30-day transatlantic/Baltics in April/May. It was sooooo windy. There were times you could go out on the balcony. Other times, you couldn't even get the door open. That wasn't the problem, though. When the ship was at full speed and it was really windy (about 5 nights total), the vibration and deafening drone prevented me from falling asleep. Ear plugs did not work. So I had to call down to pax service and they contacted the bridge. The bridge tweaked the direction and the drone/vibration went away. Other than that, it's a great location.

Thanks so much for the info. :-) Now that I've heard that, I don't think this cabin will work for us. I'm a light sleeper...that would definitely bother me. And I'd hate to not even be able to get out on the balcony.

This was the same with the family suites on the grand class. :eek:

I have M104 booked on the Regal in a couple of months, I'll let you know after we get back.

Just wondering, are you aware that you only have access to your balcony when in port?

"Special Notes:

PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY"

Just wondering, are you aware that you only have access to your balcony when in port?

"Special Notes:

PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY"

Several have posted that this limitation was not enforced but that their drapes had to be closed at night with lights on because it interfered with bridge operations.

I wouldn't plan on the balcony being available at sea but I'd hope to be able to enjoy it at sea.

Princess newbie back again with another question. I'm still debating between two cabins on the Regal in March.

I'm considering one of the balconies on the front of the ship on the Lido deck. Not the corner ones that are suites, but the deluxe balconies (i.e. M103) that face directly forward.

I know they'll be windy, but I'm wondering how windy. Has anyone had one of those balconies, and how windy was it? Was the balcony useable most of the time, part of the time, or not much at all?

Any information would be appreciated. :-)

as a few of the replies have warned, if you go on the Princess site and look at deck plans, those cabins are noted "BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY".

the balcony doors may or may not be locked while at sea.

Several have posted that this limitation was not enforced but that their drapes had to be closed at night with lights on because it interfered with bridge operations.

I wouldn't plan on the balcony being available at sea but I'd hope to be able to enjoy it at sea.

I agree don't count on it but it seems to be open anyway. :)

Thanks so much for the info. :-) Now that I've heard that, I don't think this cabin will work for us. I'm a light sleeper...that would definitely bother me. And I'd hate to not even be able to get out on the balcony.

Don't get me wrong, I loved L108 - LOVED IT. The vibration/drone only occurred when it was really windy and the ship was at full speed. It, in no way, ruined or even made a dent in an otherwise great cruise. Once the bridge was made aware of it, they really did make it better. Have a wonderful cruise in whichever cabin you choose.:)

There is no lock other than the regular lock on the slider so they would have to lock you out on the balcony to keep you from unlocking the door.

Are you sure?

I have not been in these cabins, but on another Princess ship there is a small key lock at the base of the door near one side of the door.

Are you sure?

I have not been in these cabins, but on another Princess ship there is a small key lock at the base of the door near one side of the door.

There was no obvious lock but I will check again in October when I have L104 again!

Didn't search for this, but I seem to remember someone getting locked out on their forward facing balcony during sailaway on the first or second Caribbean sailing of the Royal last year. I remember the posting on CC for help! Was probably the handle closing on the sliding door though.

Edited by yoyosma

Well, I've read over all the responses here & weighed it with other info I've found on cruise critic...and I think I'm going to pass on the forward facing balcony. I just can't justify taking the chance that the balcony will be unusable because of wind. We use our balcony a lot, and there's also the issue of the balcony light being disabled and having to keep the curtains closed at night.

We've opted for E110...it has the same type of obstruction but still has a larger than standard balcony.

Thanks for all the input!

Well, I've read over all the responses here & weighed it with other info I've found on cruise critic...and I think I'm going to pass on the forward facing balcony. I just can't justify taking the chance that the balcony will be unusable because of wind. We use our balcony a lot, and there's also the issue of the balcony light being disabled and having to keep the curtains closed at night.

We've opted for E110...it has the same type of obstruction but still has a larger than standard balcony.

Thanks for all the input!

Good choice, I believe thats the largest balcony out of all those OV balconies.