Just off Explorer from Bermuda/Propulsion issues and huricane

JAMESCC

We got off Explorer 2 weeks ago and one of the port people outside the ship said the plan is that the new terminal be ready by the time Quantum arrives.

I agree that Explorer needs a facelift. It seems some get defensive when this is said. We are stating our observations. :) It's great that it's going in for refurb soon and I'm sure it will look great once refreshed.

Edited by mizlorinj

Explorer needs a refurb. He's just confirming it. It's not just a little rust.

Depending on what cabin you get, you could have a nicely redone room or one with a really stained sofa and old worn out carpeting.

If a hotel room was old and worn people wouldn't pay top dollar, yet RC gets top dollar for their cabins. So if people say it needs a refurb, I think they are justified.

Agree totally. I am not going to post my review here because I don't want to be "attacked". I will post it elsewhere. But the couch was stained so bad we needed to put a sheet over it to sit on it. Gross. The inside of the vanity that opened was peeling and the drawers and shelves were not cleaned and stained. As for the little bit of rust...I agree that rust is hard to keep up with on the water but the balcony had chipping paint on the floor so little pieces of blue paint ended up in all over the floor in our room and in our bed. Yuck. You couldn't walk barefoot on the balcony at all. All in all it was clean enough, just very, very run down.

I was on the August 23rd sailing in aft cabin 7690, the cabin was clean with no stains and the balcony was fine no rust 2 chairs and 2 loungers with a tall table.

Does anybody know if the starboard azipod was fixed? The wake all the way back only had the port and center wash and there were 2 Moran tugs that turned us into the pier. They had divers in the water when we left the ship and they left late but never heard if it was really fixed.

The trip didn't follow our plan but still had a good time. Leigh was great and so was our waiters in the MDR.

I never said it was just a little rust, just that comments about rust have nothing to do with a refurb. Rust is a fact of life on a ship.

Have to agree here. While it's been said the ship is in need of some drydock time, there are likely to be a few rusty parts even on the Quantum as we speak. If this is part of the criteria for evaluating ship condition, it should be far down the priority list. That's like Dr. Seuss on Ali Sard "The faster he mows it the faster he grows it..."

Last year I was on way home from Bermuda (no storm Nov 1st) to Bayonne and we had 30 ft. waves. It was like a ghost ship. EMPTY!! Even crew members were carrying barf bags and trash cans. And that was without a storm.:eek:.

DW is always wishing for the seas to be a bit more lively. I need to note this for future planning. Might cure her.

In Feb 2007 was on the Rhapsody out of TX on 7 day. For 5 days we had no swimming pools only hot tubs or Windjammer. The pools had been sand blasted and never repainted until day 4. Then covered with nets to allow drying time. The Windjammer was being redesigned never opened until 2 cruises after mine. GASP every meal was in the MDR. For the inconvenience for the above each person received $25.

I think they've upped their game since then. A Fog Delay that cost us a few hours boarding at Galveston in 2012 got us $25 each.

Explorer needs a refurb.

Hi All,

I'm eying a cruise on Explorer next July from the UK, and she'll have had a refurb by this time, including an outdoor movie screen so sounds quite extensive, but i'm just wondering how refreshed the staterooms will be?

A proper refurb or just a lick of paint?

The cost of the cruise is very expensive and is a real treat for us, so I'd be disappointed if she was still tatty or the rooms were as described in this thread.

What do they change in a refurb? new sun beds on deck too? :cool:

Anyone been on a freshly refurbed ship?

I know you Americans have world class standards so it should be good, right?

I never said it was just a little rust, just that comments about rust have nothing to do with a refurb. Rust is a fact of life on a ship. I also never gave my opinion about the ship needing a refurb. But, that is subjective. At what point does it "need" a refurb? Everyone has a different opinion and some expect perfection all the time.

I truly do not expect perfection all the time. If I did, I wouldn't sail Explorer.

If I was directly quoting you, I would have included your post. LOTS of people, when commenting on Ex's condition, describe it as 'a little rust'. I'm commenting more on that descriptive phrase, rather than what is or is not done during a refurbishment.

People who are browsing cc and looking for info on Ex's conditon are going to be in for a surprise if they expect 'a little rust' that so many people describe as the condition.

Some cabins are in great shape. We were in a GS in the past 2 years that looked freshly redone. But we have also had rooms with old, worn, and stained fabric. That is gross. I would put a towel on the sofa before sitting on it. Who knows what caused that big stain?

It's like that. Generally clean, good crew, but definitely showing wear besides 'a little rust'.

Edited by marci22

We got off Explorer 2 weeks ago and one of the port people outside the ship said the plan is that the new terminal be ready by the time Quantum arrives.

I agree that Explorer needs a facelift. It seems some get defensive when this is said. We are stating our observations. :) It's great that it's going in for refurb soon and I'm sure it will look great once refreshed.

that stinking Cape Liberty "terminal" needs to be replaced before then ... I cant even see a Liberty-load of pax crammed into that disgusting bus terminal shack that RC calls "Cape Liberty" .. they should be damned embarrassed at having operated that bung hole of a departure building for so long.

its horrible.

Hi All,

I'm eying a cruise on Explorer next July from the UK, and she'll have had a refurb by this time, including an outdoor movie screen so sounds quite extensive, but i'm just wondering how refreshed the staterooms will be?

A proper refurb or just a lick of paint?

The cost of the cruise is very expensive and is a real treat for us, so I'd be disappointed if she was still tatty or the rooms were as described in this thread.

What do they change in a refurb? new sun beds on deck too? :cool:

Anyone been on a freshly refurbed ship?

I know you Americans have world class standards so it should be good, right?

Rob, although RC has not released details about her work, I can tell you this:

The Explorer is dead-heading from Port Canaveral to Cadiz, Spain. Both the days of the crossing and the 2+ weeks of the work in port will allow them to do EXTENSIVE work on all areas of the ship. This is not some quickie one week buff-up.

:)

that stinking Cape Liberty "terminal" needs to be replaced before then ... I cant even see a Liberty-load of pax crammed into that disgusting bus terminal shack that RC calls "Cape Liberty" .. they should be damned embarrassed at having operated that bung hole of a departure building for so long.

its horrible.

This is just horribly rude and uncalled-for.

If the price of having a Voyager class ship sailing out of New Jersey has been putting up with an old makeshift terminal, then it was worth it.

But you don't seem to understand about the movement of the ships.

The new terminal is supposed to be finished for the arrival of the Quantum, which is in a mere 67 days. So, the Liberty has nothing to do with it.

Quantum will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from November 2014-May 2015. Liberty will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from May 2015 to November 2015. Anthem will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from November 2015-indefinite. (there will be brief visits by Legend and Serenade as well, for a few northern runs)

If the price of having a Voyager class ship sailing out of New Jersey has been putting up with an old makeshift terminal, then it was worth it.

But you don't seem to understand about the movement of the ships.

The new terminal is supposed to be finished for the arrival of the Quantum, which is in a mere 67 days. So, the Liberty has nothing to do with it.

Quantum will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from November 2014-May 2015. Liberty will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from May 2015 to November 2015. Anthem will be sailing out of Cape Liberty from November 2015-indefinite. (there will be brief visits by Legend and Serenade as well, for a few northern runs)

I would love to see a Voyager Class ship stay at Cape Liberty.And let the Quantum class stay in China,with the so called Dynamic dining.

Edited by caribbean sailor

The Explorer is dead-heading from Port Canaveral to Cadiz, Spain. Both the days of the crossing and the 2+ weeks of the work in port will allow them to do EXTENSIVE work on all areas of the ship. This is not some quickie one week buff-up.

:)

Do you know if they are going to stop for supplies or off the trash on the way at places like Bermuda, Canary Islands etc?

I absolutely stand by my criticism of Cape Liberty and RC for having let that mess go on for so long.

Its in a horrible location to begin with, its a cluster on the roadways and drop off areas due to the lack of space .. its disgusting on the inside, and the boarding scrum that takes place is the most ridiculous.

The "P.A." (if you can call it that) is not even audible. You literally can not hear what they are saying .. so people end up crowding the doorway area to listen for what group is being boarded (on to a -bus-).. only to be screamed rudely at by the agents telling them to get back till their number is called.

And then ... crowing onto busses for the short ride to the ship -- its darn ridiculous .. and overall NOT a way to board a luxury --and pretty expensive cruise. Even Carnival uses the "Passenger Ship Terminal" across in Manhattan .. a facility designed for large ships .... and a lot more professional.

Sorry Merion Mom .. I know RC can do no wrong in your eyes, but this is a bad place ... that should not have been around and used for as long as it was.

I absolutely stand by my criticism of Cape Liberty and RC for having let that mess go on for so long.

Its in a horrible location to begin with, its a cluster on the roadways and drop off areas due to the lack of space .. its disgusting on the inside, and the boarding scrum that takes place is the most ridiculous.

The "P.A." (if you can call it that) is not even audible. You literally can not hear what they are saying .. so people end up crowding the doorway area to listen for what group is being boarded (on to a -bus-).. only to be screamed rudely at by the agents telling them to get back till their number is called.

And then ... crowing onto busses for the short ride to the ship -- its darn ridiculous .. and overall NOT a way to board a luxury --and pretty expensive cruise. Even Carnival uses the "Passenger Ship Terminal" across in Manhattan .. a facility designed for large ships .... and a lot more professional.

Sorry Merion Mom .. I know RC can do no wrong in your eyes, but this is a bad place ... that should not have been around and used for as long as it was.

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

You MUST be kidding! :eek:

its horrible.

Someone twist your arm to cruise from there? :)

Agree it is not one of the best and most modern cruise ports, but one can always use New york or Miami while Cape Liberty is being renovated.

Edited by Arzeena

We have found Cape Liberty to be a port that is fine. It's where we board a ship to do what we love which is cruise. It doesn't need to be a luxurious building as we spend very little time there. Not sure why some think a cruise terminal has to be beautiful. It needs to be functional. Do they need to improve arrival and departure areas for traffic? Absolutely, but the reality is, that port was never built as a cruise passenger terminal, it was converted when cruises decided to go out of there which to me was a great idea.

Edited by BND

We have found Cape Liberty to be a port that is fine. It's where we board a ship to do what we love which is cruise. It doesn't need to be a luxurious building as we spend very little time there. Not sure why some think a cruise terminal has to be beautiful. It needs to be functional. Do they need to improve arrival and departure areas for traffic? Absolutely, but the reality is, that port was never built as a cruise passenger terminal, it was converted when cruises decided to go out of there which to me was a great idea.

Realistically most are just a shed with computer link to the ship

Not a lot to them

An easy build really

Hope new one is up when we arrive in november

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love it when people complain about Cape Liberty. I love it. I don't have to go to congested NYC. I paid for a cruise not the port who really cares. Max time there 1 hour. Max time on ship between 5 and 14 days. Cape Liberty was a Naval Instilation. It wasn't built to be a cruise ship port. All right Arzeena and Merion_Mom I'm with you👌

If you don't like it don't cruise from there. Just because someone likes something does not make them a cheerleader. People like what they like and apparently for some the terminal is more important than the cruise. Go figure. Cheerleader for Cape Liberty. Hurray hurrah.......[emoji562] [emoji562] [emoji562] [emoji562]

Edited by lovetocruiserccl

I am another one who prefers to sail out of Bayonne than NYC. Port staff is also much nicer.

When you arrive by bus to the NY terminal a long shore man gets on board and announces that if you want to see your luggage make sure you tip and not in a joking way.

Pull up in Bayonne and you just get off the bus.

Parking is also much cheaper in Bayonne. This has nothing to do with being Royal cheerleaders. It has to do with perspective. It is the cruise not the terminal that matters.