Muster Drill

richwmn

Muster drill, at least at lifeboat 11, was chaos on our Amsterdam 14 day Alaska cruise in August. The pax were talking constantly even through the captain's announcement. The crew were calling out numbers and names but not looking and calling to both left and right so people couldn't hear their names called and crew didn't see/hear when folks responded. I couldn't understand why the crew wasn't keeping better control of the situation.

Sure glad they are changing the system. Sure glad I had been to numerous drills so I knew what to do. A lot of the folks on deck that day would not have had a clue in event of an actual emergency.

Muster drill, at least at lifeboat 11, was chaos on our Amsterdam 14 day Alaska cruise in August. The pax were talking constantly even through the captain's announcement. The crew were calling out numbers and names but not looking and calling to both left and right so people couldn't hear their names called and crew didn't see/hear when folks responded. I couldn't understand why the crew wasn't keeping better control of the situation.

Sure glad they are changing the system. Sure glad I had been to numerous drills so I knew what to do. A lot of the folks on deck that day would not have had a clue in event of an actual emergency.

Similar situation on the last few cruises, we have taken. People do not pay attention, laugh and talk through out the whole muster. On our recent cruise, the Captain came on and told people to stop talking and pay attention "especially those on the starboard side." In retrospect, the past few cruises, the Captain has had to tell people to stop talking. Despite a ship's best effort to train folks on emergency procedures, I really wonder what those folks will or will not do in a real emergency.

Question re the card scanning---- does everyone in the cabin scan their card or just one person?

As far as I could see each person was having their card scanned.

The muster drill went very smoothly, only one cabin number was called for my lifeboat, and everyone seemed (at least around me) to be quiet and attentive.

Rich

Similar situation on the last few cruises, we have taken. People do not pay attention, laugh and talk through out the whole muster. On our recent cruise, the Captain came on and told people to stop talking and pay attention "especially those on the starboard side." In retrospect, the past few cruises, the Captain has had to tell people to stop talking. Despite a ship's best effort to train folks on emergency procedures, I really wonder what those folks will or will not do in a real emergency.

We were on the Zaandam in July. At our muster station the crew lined us up in rows, front to back. There was a woman ahead of me in my row and she kept talking and talking throughout most of the muster. Finally I had enough, and asked her to please be quiet so we could hear what the captain and crew were telling us. She gave me a very dirty look, but she did shut up. If we had had an actual emergency on that cruise I wonder how prepared she would be to handle it.

This has happened several times. We were on Statendam last year (to the day actually) for an Alaska sailing, and Captain Albert had to threaten several people that they would be disembarked if they did not show up for muster. I believe the drill was held up for at least half an hour. And the drill itself took over an hour to complete due to very rude people yammering rough it. Captain Albert had to very abruptly and bluntly come on over the PA and remind people to keep quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a problem right there and I see it as good practice/experience in crowd control for the crew and for pax to learn or review their roll.

I wonder if in an emergency the scanners are part of plan A.

I think in the event of a real emergency it's going to be "every man for himself". It behooves each of us to know exactly what we are going to do, and not imagine there is going to be a crew member with a list or scanner checking everyone off to make sure we are all saved. That's one reason it's so important learn what to do. All those other people around us, talking and causing confusion, are not going to know what to do when the time comes, and there is panic all around.

Another thing to do, now that there is a new type of life jacket, is to try it on in the stateroom, and probably practice putting it on with eyes closed!

Just read in Captain Albert's Blog: "The Veendam is the last ship that receives the training for the new three alarm system that is being implemented and by mid-October all ships, all crew and also all guests will attend Boat drills under the new three step sequence."

I think in the event of a real emergency it's going to be "every man for himself". It behooves each of us to know exactly what we are going to do, and not imagine there is going to be a crew member with a list or scanner checking everyone off to make sure we are all saved. That's one reason it's so important learn what to do. All those other people around us, talking and causing confusion, are not going to know what to do when the time comes, and there is panic all around.

Another thing to do, now that there is a new type of life jacket, is to try it on in the stateroom, and probably practice putting it on with eyes closed!

Your correct - every man for himself. People can't even be patient while waiting in line at the Lido - think what they will do in a real emergency.

I'm one of the people who reads the safety information card every time I fly, and I fly quite a bit! I made DH practice with his life vest in the room on our last cruise, and we'll do it again. Because I agree, in a real emergency situation people will panic.

This has happened several times. We were on Statendam last year (to the day actually) for an Alaska sailing, and Captain Albert had to threaten several people that they would be disembarked if they did not show up for muster. I believe the drill was held up for at least half an hour. And the drill itself took over an hour to complete due to very rude people yammering rough it. Captain Albert had to very abruptly and bluntly come on over the PA and remind people to keep quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the drill should start on time. The people who showed up on time and got scanned should be allowed to leave. Anyone who didn't show up should be mustered separately with EVERY possible detail explained to them really really slowly so as to take up as much of their time as possible. (Sorta like having detention)

What is the change in the lifejackets?

I think the drill should start on time. The people who showed up on time and got scanned should be allowed to leave. Anyone who didn't show up should be mustered separately with EVERY possible detail explained to them really really slowly so as to take up as much of their time as possible. (Sorta like having detention)

I feel the same way! It's aggravating to have to stand there and watch the stragglers come sauntering in, laughing like it's a party, when we've been standing there since the start.

The old jackets had those long stringy things you had to wrap around your back and tie in the front, the new ones have shorter tapes with clips and some velcro, I think. They do up in a slightly different manner, but at least you won't be tripping over those long straps. I'm not sure if all the ships have the new ones.

Because DH is in a wheelchair and it takes time to get to our muster station, we always go 10 minutes early and wait.

With the new system, will we be able to do that?

I wish HAL would let pax in wheelchairs have a separate muster drill inside somewhere. One ship did that for the HC pax a few years ago, and it was so much easier.

Getting through the doors with the high thresholds is very tough for some people in chairs. Because we wait for the crowds to disperse, we can never find crew members to assist DH in getting back inside.

Because DH is in a wheelchair and it takes time to get to our muster station, we always go 10 minutes early and wait.

I wish HAL would let pax in wheelchairs have a separate muster drill inside somewhere. One ship did that for the HC pax a few years ago, and it was so much easier.

Getting through the doors with the high thresholds is very tough for some people in chairs. Because we wait for the crowds to disperse, we can never find crew members to assist DH in getting back inside.

Oh my! I hope you could manage alone between the two of you in an emergency.

Those door thresholds are real killers for scooters too. I wish they could "ramp" those exterior door thresholds on all HAL ships.

I was in a scooter on both my recent cruises. I left a bit early just so I would be able to get an elevator, and try to get ahead of the crowds to the station.

I wasn't given any grief about that.

Getting outside in a scooter is very difficult on the R-class ships (my limited personal experience). I needed help getting over the threshold getting outside. Because I, like you, held back going back inside on the first cruise, I had a terrible time finding help. On the second cruise I went back inside immediately, and waited inside for the crowds to thin. It worked out much better that way.

Those door thresholds are real killers for scooters too. I wish they could "ramp" those exterior door thresholds on all HAL ships.

The ramp system on the Oosterdam (my other experience getting outside on a scooter) was excellent. Nice and smooth transition. That was also true getting out up on the Sports Deck.

I don't know if the difference between the Oosterdam vs. the Volendam and Amsterdam extends to all the Vista/Signature ships, but it would be nice to find out.

Now, if only there were some way to get the doors open so a solo person in a scooter could get outside.

I've never had a problem pushing DH out to the Promenade deck in his wheelchair - but that may be because I simply picked the right door (accidentally!) with the built-in ramp.:D However, I don't know how people travelling solo with a scooter or electric wheelchair can handle the opening of those doors without some assistance.