Embarkation lunch in dining room???

ellie1145

When we were on Diamond Princess last Octoober we were delighted to be able to go to the dining room for lunch on our first day - thanks to CC insider information!

Is this likely to be available on Royal Princess in December?

(On the QE in August we were very firmly turned away from lunch in the dining room and sent up to the Lido buffet which was a huge disappointment - it wasn't even busy, but we were told in no uncertain terms it was not for us newbies!)

Edited by ellie1145

The name of the MDR that is open for the embarkation lunch will be printed on the back of your Welcome Aboard edition of the patters and the hours are normally from 1200 to 1330. The menu is somewhat limited.

Perhaps it usually is, but it wasn't on our 1-day relo on the Grand this past weekend. I asked a crew member which dining room was open for lunch and he replied "Deck 14". I repeated "No, what dining room is open for lunch?" and he repeated "Deck 14". At which point we decided we would just try them until we found the one that was open.

Perhaps it usually is, but it wasn't on our 1-day relo on the Grand this past weekend. I asked a crew member which dining room was open for lunch and he replied "Deck 14". I repeated "No, what dining room is open for lunch?" and he repeated "Deck 14". At which point we decided we would just try them until we found the one that was open.

I've never been on a one day cruise but like Putterdude we have always found the dining room open for lunch listed on the back page of the patter.

Mike

I can share your frustration as this was the way it used to be, the staff did everything to discourage you. For the last few years the problem has largely gone away but obviously you did experience it on your overnighter..

Yes we were told the same, deck 14 and also headed over to the dining room where we were persuaded to go to deck 14 as they had limited menu.

We said we didn't mind and that we always like to start our cruise in the dining room so we were able to enjoy a quiet lunch there. There were very few tables in use so they did an effective job of turning most folks away.

Edited by bigenna

We are always disappointed when we are kept from boarding until after the MDR is closed. Love the avocado/shrimp appetizer, salmon and soufflé. What a great way to start a cruise.:D

I was notified that I am to board at 2:00 PM on my upcoming 4-nighter. You would think that to encourage compliance with the staggered boarding times that they would keep the MDR open late for lunch on embarkation day.

We are always disappointed when we are kept from boarding until after the MDR is closed. Love the avocado/shrimp appetizer, salmon and soufflé. What a great way to start a cruise.:D

I love this exact embarkation lunch! Can anyone who has cruised in the last couple of months verify that the salmon is still on the menu?

I love this exact embarkation lunch! Can anyone who has cruised in the last couple of months verify that the salmon is still on the menu?

Yes salmon was on the menu of the Emerald in Aug. Like other posters we always head for the dinning room, ignoring the persuasive staffs who try to direct you to the trough ( oh sorry horizon court), which we avoid like the plague, but then it's some peoples prefered choice so each to their own. That's what cruising is all about.;)

I was notified that I am to board at 2:00 PM on my upcoming 4-nighter. You would think that to encourage compliance with the staggered boarding times that they would keep the MDR open late for lunch on embarkation day.

I think the point of closing promptly at 1:30 is that the MDR lunch is catering to the early boarders, ie Suites and Elites and not the "masses". My last time at lunch on embarkation day, everyone on our table was in one of those categories with the exception of my wife and I who are one of the "masses".

:)

Most people ignore the late boarding recommendation and get to the port earlier.

I think the point of closing promptly at 1:30 is that the MDR lunch is catering to the early boarders, ie Suites and Elites and not the "masses". My last time at lunch on embarkation day, everyone on our table was in one of those categories with the exception of my wife and I who are one of the "masses".

:)

There is likely an element of truth to your theory. Elite and Platinum members also get to board early and of course there are the b/b people or continuing passengers.

Sadly, was gone on 01-September Carribbean. I missed it because

that is what I usually order.

Fortunately, there was still a desert souffle for mrs. pablo, or we

both would have been crying.

And, the info about the dining room being open for lunch is printed

in the princess patter. It is hardly insider information from CC as

one poster called it.

I had the salmon last month on the CB. It was as good as ever, as was the ravioli entree that I order an appetizer size portion of. And while I love the souffle, I order a fruit plate to get my cruise started off right.

The Patters may have the dining room schedule, but most people don't read them in time to realize that the dining room was serving lunch.

On the Golden's recent 1NT, the embarkation lunch menu was not the tenderloin/salmon, but rather the typical sea day menu with cod, the Cuban sandwich and London Broil. Most importantly, it had the zuppa inglese ice cream I adore.

Grand had the typical embarkation menu on its 1NT.

All information we received ahead and on way onto ship stated only the Buffet was open, but the MDR was open with a limited menu.

It seems to be somewhat "inside information" that the dining room is open. The staff always tries to shoo us to the buffet, every ship. I will be on the Golden next month, so I'll check to see what the menu is. Doesn't seem right for me to start a cruise without the avocado and the ravioli. ;)

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess (August 28, 2014 sailing) and enjoyed having lunch in the dining room on embarkation day. This is much more pleasent than the Horizon Court (which usually seems especially crowded on the first day since people don't yet know their way around).

However, my first lunch was interesting. I was traveling solo and said that I was willing to share a table. I was seated at a large table next to a couple (the other seats were still empty). The couple got into a heated argument before ordering lunch and the wife stormed out of the dining room (this argument had nothing to do with me). Her husband soon followed her out. This wasn't a very good start for their cruise. I then was alone at this large table. Fortunately, some nice people joined me and the lunch was pleasant.

Chuck