~Trivia~ remember the DAM $'s?

sassy~one

They give the same pins - over and over and over again. I wish they would go back to the key chains, flashlights, umbrellas and mugs. I miss them. I liked them. They made it a worthwhile challenge to try to win. JMO.

Last month we received the pins, key chains, a deck of cards, and one time a large plastic tote baf while on a 14 day cruise on the Prinsendam. The winner of pub trivia on the final day got a round of drinks for the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last month we received the pins, key chains, a deck of cards, and one time a large plastic tote bag while on a 14 day cruise on the Prinsendam. The winner of pub trivia on the final day got a round of drinks for the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I really liked the tiny flashlights we used to get.

We haven't done trivia in a while -- they are usually at times when we are doing something else. Plus some people were taking it all too seriously.

Yes, that. In the last few years, especially, we have noticed an unseemly intensity about winning a darned pin, and have actually seen it get quite nasty between teams. We just play for fun and stay on the perimeter!

Still pins, huh? Oh well.

I quit playing on my last cruise even though we had some really nice roll call people playing together. On another team there was one woman who was really, REALLY obnoxious, despite being from a country whose natives often claim to be nice, thoughtful people. She was just awful, and argued about almost every answer her team got wrong. I felt sorry for the poor trivia host, she was that bad.

Unfortunately for her, one of the roll call people (and one of her countrymen, who really WAS nice and thoughtful) would look up the answers on his phone when she started arguing, and back the host. It was so much fun to see her proven wrong again and again. But she kept it up day after day, and after awhile, it wasn't worth playing anymore.

I soooooo hope that they have some other prizes besides the pins when we sail in November and January. In previous years we won a travel coffee mug, deck of cards, etc. It doesn't have to be that great of a prize, but it is nice if there is SOME chance of it being used by the winner! I mean, unless you are a collector of pins .............

Yes, that. In the last few years, especially, we have noticed an unseemly intensity about winning a darned pin, and have actually seen it get quite nasty between teams. We just play for fun and stay on the perimeter!

We quit when the fighting between teams started and then teams started to fight with the CD or another person doing the trivia over answers.

On long cruises, the teams are formed on the first day and you are expected to be at each trivia no matter when it was held since it was done tournament style and teams collected points each day. The team with the most points at the end of the cruise won a prize -- mostly a bottle of cheap sparkling wine per team member.

Something like a key chain. On long cruises, when they have a cumulative, tournament-like game, you should get something a little better. We got DAM t-shirts once.

same old thing. still fun to play.

Edited by Folk Singer

The last few cruises, even though they were longer, the only prize was the pins. Blah. I like the new destination pins, but if you win once, you have it and don't need 5 of them. I have all the chimneys, logos and the ship pins for every HAL ship we've been on (missing a few we haven't sailed...trade, anyone?). I see I need to win a Mediterranean pin on our next cruise!

I also miss the days of playing cards, coasters, umbrellas, cubes, photo frames, mouse pads, etc. Once we had a tough CD, and when our team of 4 had a perfect score (the only one for the cocktail hour trivia during the entire cruise), he made nice gift bags up for all of us! Then there was the Voyage of the Vikings where our team won nice wheeled tote bags, which was a special gift from the future cruise consultant. I fear those days are long gone, but...

On a cruise of more than 7 days, something more than pins for trivia and name that tune are in order!

I agree with the "it's only a game" folks, too. While I'm competitive, the answer is the answer, and winning isn't the only reason I play. Some folks need to learn to relax and not take it so seriously.

Hi, Nanner,

We look forward to playing trivia with you on the AA cruise, as per our plans on our roll call. If we happen to get lucky and win a pin or two, in the past we have always shared the pins with other players who had not won. I enjoy the social aspects of trivia, sitting around before and after and talking about what we have seen and what we hope to see.

Given that we have many sea days, trivia is a nice organizing anchor for our daily activities. I think our team of seven is a good idea, with my DH sitting out the game when everyone else shows.

Have a good evening. Let us enjoy our times together.

D

Edited by blue whale

I love trivia and I really hate people who take it serious [it is trivia after all].

But I also don't like questions where the answer varies depending where you are from, or when they simply get the answer wrong [usually because they asked the wrong question.

Examples

How many wheels has a semi-trailer. US answer 18, in Australia you will almost never see one with 18 wheels they all have 22.

Who was Australia's first Female Lord Mayor answer give Sallyanne Atkinsonm she was first of a Capital City, but Joy Cummings was Lord Mayor of Newcastle about 10 years earlier.

Both were asked on a cruise from Sydney and the lack of research invited people to argue.

But as I said it's trivia for goodness sake, this time playing for a luggage strap. If I was playing for a million bucks or my life I might care.