Freedom of Seas "suites come first?????"

Nor are we only looking backwards, I have 12 future cruises booked with 9 of those on ships yet to be launched. We have no problem with change and you might gather from my other posts that we actually embrace the recent changes being made.

Interestingly the last Pinnacle members I was speaking to told me that RC were making a terrible mistake with the newer ships particularly in relation to the fact they were doing away with the main dining room. For that reason they would never step foot aboard them and suggested we follow suit !

We are all different and by the sound of things you most certainly don't fit my profile for a Pinnacle member :)

Henry

So pleased to hear that you have listened to so many factually incorrect statements from P Members, I assume that some of those statements may be as incorrect as your statement regarding them being amongst the lowest revenue guests. We certainly put more than our fair share across a bar counter, spend money in the shops, and use speciality restaurants.

Nor are we only looking backwards, I have 12 future cruises booked with 9 of those on ships yet to be launched. We have no problem with change and you might gather from my other posts that we actually embrace the recent changes being made.

We are also NOT amongst the older segment of roll calls, although being younger does have a bearing on our views, as I imagine your age does on yours.

I do accept that some guests in different age groups, very young or very old can have and effect on the vacation experience of others, in exactly the same way the those in their middle years can have an effect on others that may enjoy the cruise experience for different reasons. Although I am sure that most groups would find your generalisations as offensive, as I do :eek:

Royal have made it very clear in the way that they develop their ships that their target market is across the board for families of all ages to enjoy.

Well said Dave! Hi to Anita.

We know MANY pinnacles who are much younger than us, and even though we've cruised twenty years, (different cruise lines), and had nine cruises in one year(even though John still works a normal forty hour week), we aren't pinnacle, yet. Actually, the top cruiser in Royal Caribbean is younger than me! One pinnacle lady we know who is in her eighty's also reserves suites alone, paying double prices!

Age and cabin category has nothing to do with who should be allowed into the concierge lounge or Diamond lounge.

Enjoy your cruises, as usual! We leave for Freedom in a couple of weeks! :)

Just to add my two-cents into the mix, just coming off Vision of the Seas in a suite.

Bottom line is this. A suite guest does not equate to a Diamond Plus or Pinnacle guest and a D+/PC guests does not equate to a suite guests. Each is a different type of customer onboard, and to RCL's credit, they have recognized that. Which is why they offer these three distinct customers access to the concierge lounge, as the lounge rewards loyalty and also rewards the exclusivity mandated by the premiums paid for suite accommodations onboard.

Over the years, RCL has done a great job "managing" these lounges, and most recently, the addition of the drink vouchers has seemed to alleviate a good amount of the congestion in the lounges. We will see if this trend continues. As a Suite guest at times, and a D+ guest (6 cruises away from a Pinnacle Guest), I find access to the lounge to be an enjoyable experience that really does add to my vacation experience - as it feels like I am being looked after by the dedicated men & women who are the concierges onboard.

As in anything great in life, there are some who ruin it for the rest of us. Fortunately, these people are in the MINORITY. However, there ARE Pinnacle Guest & Upper Tier Diamond Plus guests who need to tone it down a little. The concierge lounge is not their lounge. The ship is not their ship. And the officers are not there to serve only them. I have witnessed absolutely appalling behavior in the last year or so by a few guests and I hope RCL nips this in the butt before it becomes an overwhelming issue. Personally, I believe the wonderful ladies and gentlemen who represent Pinnacles & D+ membership onboard who we have met will hopefully balance these bad apples.

And lastly, as for the age and "lack of revenue" associated with upper tier D+ / Pinnacle Club members, if I am any example, I am in my low 20s and cruise consistently in JS or GS cabins. While some guests in the membership categories may be older (I always like to say wiser) and staying on deck 2 insides, that is their preference and I respect them for it. I think at the end of the day, all of us are asking for a little bit of respect in return by our fellow high level cruisers. SO with that in mind, I make a big effort to smile a bit more, engage in conversation a bit more, and say "thank you" a bit more to those onboard who consistently go out of their way to give all of us a vacation of a lifetime. And when I do encounter those "fussy" Pinnacles or D+ folks, all I can do is smile and let them have their moment. After all, I am there to have a good time, and I can only blame myself if I don't.

The concierge lounge is a great benefit and I encourage all of you who are booking suites, but aren't D+ or Pinnacle, to have a great time and hopefully make some life-long friends. I know we have.

Cheers to all of you.

Edited by DanTheCruisingMan

Just to add my two-cents into the mix, just coming off Vision of the Seas in a suite.

All of your points, very well made.

I also wanted to add that loyalty tier guests, like myself, have the new advantage of a choice between spending time in a lounge, or, frequenting a bar using vouchers. This is a perk that suite guests do not enjoy. It might be helpful, therefore, to take advantage of this flexibility, and frequent the CL a bit less, aleviating some of the congestion and making a more pleasant experience for all.

......................We are all different and by the sound of things you most certainly don't fit my profile for a Pinnacle member :)

Henry

Thank you :D

Bottom line is this. A suite guest does not equate to a Diamond Plus or Pinnacle guest and a D+/PC guests does not equate to a suite guests. Each is a different type of customer onboard, and to RCL's credit, they have recognized that. Which is why they offer these three distinct customers access to the concierge lounge, as the lounge rewards loyalty and also rewards the exclusivity mandated by the premiums paid for suite accommodations onboard.

Over the years, RCL has done a great job "managing" these lounges, and most recently, the addition of the drink vouchers has seemed to alleviate a good amount of the congestion in the lounges. We will see if this trend continues. As a Suite guest at times, and a D+ guest (6 cruises away from a Pinnacle Guest), I find access to the lounge to be an enjoyable experience that really does add to my vacation experience - as it feels like I am being looked after by the dedicated men & women who are the concierges onboard.

As in anything great in life, there are some who ruin it for the rest of us. Fortunately, these people are in the MINORITY. However, there ARE Pinnacle Guest & Upper Tier Diamond Plus guests who need to tone it down a little. The concierge lounge is not their lounge. The ship is not their ship. And the officers are not there to serve only them. I have witnessed absolutely appalling behavior in the last year or so by a few guests and I hope RCL nips this in the butt before it becomes an overwhelming issue. Personally, I believe the wonderful ladies and gentlemen who represent Pinnacles & D+ membership onboard who we have met will hopefully balance these bad apples.

And lastly, as for the age and "lack of revenue" associated with upper tier D+ / Pinnacle Club members, if I am any example, I am in my low 20s and cruise consistently in JS or GS cabins. While some guests in the membership categories may be older (I always like to say wiser) and staying on deck 2 insides, that is their preference and I respect them for it. I think at the end of the day, all of us are asking for a little bit of respect in return by our fellow high level cruisers. SO with that in mind, I make a big effort to smile a bit more, engage in conversation a bit more, and say "thank you" a bit more to those onboard who consistently go out of their way to give all of us a vacation of a lifetime. And when I do encounter those "fussy" Pinnacles or D+ folks, all I can do is smile and let them have their moment. After all, I am there to have a good time, and I can only blame myself if I don't.

The concierge lounge is a great benefit and I encourage all of you who are booking suites, but aren't D+ or Pinnacle, to have a great time and hopefully make some life-long friends. I know we have.

Cheers to all of you.

"LIKE"

Edited by ChipLondon

I also wanted to add that loyalty tier guests, like myself, have the new advantage of a choice between spending time in a lounge, or, frequenting a bar using vouchers.

To this point I would just like to say that I love the vouchers. We often have to choose friends (who are not eligible for the lounges) over the lounge. The vouchers remove that obstacle. So kudos to Royal for offering us a flexible option for a wonderful perk.

Excellent post. We are D+ and suite guests most of the time and feel the same. On our last RCCL cruise we tried to use the CL the first night, but it was monopolized by a group of D+ and Pinacles. The concierge was really apologetic and told us that she was going to do something about it, but we never came back during the night. We have been cruising lately with Celebrity and they are doing a great job enhancing the suite experience. Butler service, concierge lounge, in April they will have a private dining room for suite guests. The use of Michael's Club (concierge lounge) is limited to upper suites and Zenith members (top tier). Some suites will also get unlimited use of the specialty restaurants, laundry and internet. I know that Celebrity and RCCL are not the same, but if Celebrity's suite experience sells well I wouldn't be surprised if Royal follows with similar changes.

This is the reason that we have settled on Celebrity as our cruise line of choice, even before next April's changes. We don't have to worry about a CL. The butler takes care of everything. When he has a well deserved break during the day, he always has his phone covered. In full suites, the Hotel Director himself frequently has time to have a drink with you to see how things are going. With these CL/DL problems and the new Dynamic Dining, one must wonder where RCL is headed.

Well said, ChipLondon!

I fully accept that that the CL was originally set up for the use of Suite Guests, and I believe that those that book suites should be entitled to receive everything that is sold to them as part of that package. As such I feel for them when the Lounge is overcrowded and the facility cannot be enjoyed to the maximum.

However under the current rules, the access to the CL is also part of what is purchased by a D+ or P member and therefore they are equally entitled to use the space and services of the Concierge and Bar Service Team in the Lounge.

I think it is a good idea that drink vouchers have been introduced to enable guests to drink in other locations, particularly when travelling friends might not have access to any Lounge.

But it is unfair to accuse people of "feeling entitled" when clearly they factually are. Every business chooses the way in which they look after first time or regular clients. Royal chooses to have a loyalty scheme that offers certain benefits to different guests.

I for one do not expect any greater level of service from any other guest no matter how many times I or they have cruised. I think that all guests should receive the best product and service available. I always have and that is why I continued to return completing enough cruises to reach Pinnacle.

So am I entitled to consider the Lounge as part of the deal struck with Royal, under the current rules YES I DO, and if they change those rules I will consider my position then. Do I consider the "free drinks" to be an issue, no not really because I know that I can cruise with other lines at a lesser price, and buy a drinks package and still come in at a lower cost than I might pay with Royal.

I choose Royal because of many aspects, the hardware (Ships) is certainly one aspect that keeps me coming back, but the Software ( the Crew ) is my main reason.

And yes I do know some highly regular cruisers that do push the status thing beyond a reasonable balance, but having access to the Lounge is currently an entitlement that is reasonable and therefore I hope to continue to enjoy the ability to have a concierge that welcomes us into the Lounge without considering our presence anything less than valid.

This thread has gotten out of control with the bashing of C&A top tier members. I have taken over 40 cruises on Royal the last two years and while I have seen some unacceptable behavior from Diamonds, Diamond Plus and Pinnacles it did not compare to what I have seen from suite guests. A case in point was a cruise on the Allure this summer. The first night of the cruise the concierge lounge was filled to overflowing. There was a group of about 20 or so suite guests monopolizing one end of the lounge. They were loud, vulgar and totally disruptive to the normal functioning of the lounge. As if that was not bad enough, there were four suite guests on the other side who were "F" bombing each other and the whole lounge. Eventually the concierges had enough and stepped in. They banned the large group and the other four from the lounge for the remainder of the cruise. The large group actually only contained 4 suite guests, who had brought 15 or more ineligible friends in with them. I guess the actual suite guests went to Guest Services and complained about being banned from the lounge because several were back on night three or four. They did behave themselves after that.

So, it is not just one group that behaves badly. It is some of each, just like the general population. Anytime you get a group of people together you are going to invariably have some who behave badly. Just be thankful that the vast majority of times the lounges are fun, peaceful and enjoyable places to meet and share experiences with fellow cruisers. To sum up, I have probably spent between one hundred and one hundred fifty evenings in either the Diamond or Concierge lounges and only twice did I find the atmosphere so troubling that I left. The night on the Oasis I described above, and a time when a Pinnacle "lady" got so drunk she made a fool of herself. So chill out and enjoy!

Edited by Royal2464

Thank you :D

"LIKE"

To this point I would just like to say that I love the vouchers. We often have to choose friends (who are not eligible for the lounges) over the lounge. The vouchers remove that obstacle. So kudos to Royal for offering us a flexible option for a wonderful perk.

Perfectly spoken

I fully accept that that the CL was originally set up for the use of Suite Guests, and I believe that those that book suites should be entitled to receive everything that is sold to them as part of that package. As such I feel for them when the Lounge is overcrowded and the facility cannot be enjoyed to the maximum.

However under the current rules, the access to the CL is also part of what is purchased by a D+ or P member and therefore they are equally entitled to use the space and services of the Concierge and Bar Service Team in the Lounge.

I think it is a good idea that drink vouchers have been introduced to enable guests to drink in other locations, particularly when travelling friends might not have access to any Lounge.

But it is unfair to accuse people of "feeling entitled" when clearly they factually are. Every business chooses the way in which they look after first time or regular clients. Royal chooses to have a loyalty scheme that offers certain benefits to different guests.

I for one do not expect any greater level of service from any other guest no matter how many times I or they have cruised. I think that all guests should receive the best product and service available. I always have and that is why I continued to return completing enough cruises to reach Pinnacle.

So am I entitled to consider the Lounge as part of the deal struck with Royal, under the current rules YES I DO, and if they change those rules I will consider my position then. Do I consider the "free drinks" to be an issue, no not really because I know that I can cruise with other lines at a lesser price, and buy a drinks package and still come in at a lower cost than I might pay with Royal.

I choose Royal because of many aspects, the hardware (Ships) is certainly one aspect that keeps me coming back, but the Software ( the Crew ) is my main reason.

And yes I do know some highly regular cruisers that do push the status thing beyond a reasonable balance, but having access to the Lounge is currently an entitlement that is reasonable and therefore I hope to continue to enjoy the ability to have a concierge that welcomes us into the Lounge without considering our presence anything less than valid.

Bravo!

Bottom line is this. A suite guest does not equate to a Diamond Plus or Pinnacle guest and a D+/PC guests does not equate ....

....... and I encourage all of you who are booking suites, but aren't D+ or Pinnacle, to have a great time and hopefully make some life-long friends. I know we have.

Cheers to all of you.

I totally agree with you. You have summed things up wonderfully.

Ultimately the Concierge lounge is there primarily for suite guests who have paid a premium to be there. Although we took a suite on our last cruise the best value in terms of bang for buck as a D+ cruiser is a standard balcony cabin. You then get good value for money and really feel the love from RC in terms of loyalty benefits. The drinks voucher scheme combined with a diamond lounge is a real winning combination.

As a suite guest you do feel the ship is geared around lower fare groups. When we are happy to pay suite fares we cruise on another line where the (larger) standard cabin costs around the same but the ship is geared around that higher fare.

Henry :)

I have recently received emails from Berty and Rahul with respect to our upcoming cruise. I spoke to Berty as well a few days ago. He email signature states "Suite Concierge" not Diamond or D+++++ or pinnacle Concierge. I am Diamond but that had nothing to do with the emails or calls this week. Being in a suite was the reason. So, It seems clear to me the primary duty is to suite guests.

I have recently received emails from Berty and Rahul with respect to our upcoming cruise. I spoke to Berty as well a few days ago. He email signature states "Suite Concierge" not Diamond or D+++++ or pinnacle Concierge. I am Diamond but that had nothing to do with the emails or calls this week. Being in a suite was the reason. So, It seems clear to me the primary duty is to suite guests.

Until C&A emails all D+/PC Members that they are no longer invited to use the lounge, the same treatment should be extended to them as is extended to Suite Guests.

And lastly, as for the age and "lack of revenue" associated with upper tier D+ / Pinnacle Club members, if I am any example, I am in my low 20s and cruise consistently in JS or GS cabins.

I'm not going to argue "Lack of revenue" for D+ and Pinnacles. Sure, they may be sating in the Batcave on this trip and others; but they've committed plenty of funds to RCL to obtain their status.

I'm with Dan on this one too, we may be a decade or two out of our low 20s but have always made it at least a GS. We get the time off for one trip a year and doggone it, we're gonna make it count.

This is why in other threads when it's spoken of the CL or DL being phased out in favor of a "revenue producing" location like a Specialty Dining venue, all I can say is RCL's getting extra revenue from us choosing that GS over a JS or balcony partly for the privilege of the CL.

I'm not going to argue "Lack of revenue" for D+ and Pinnacles. Sure, they may be sating in the Batcave on this trip and others; but they've committed plenty of funds to RCL to obtain their status.

I'm with Dan on this one too, we may be a decade or two out of our low 20s but have always made it at least a GS. We get the time off for one trip a year and doggone it, we're gonna make it count.

This is why in other threads when it's spoken of the CL or DL being phased out in favor of a "revenue producing" location like a Specialty Dining venue, all I can say is RCL's getting extra revenue from us choosing that GS over a JS or balcony partly for the privilege of the CL.

I understand how you feel, but the reality is that RCI doesn't make money per se on the price of the cabin, but rather on what you purchase while onboard. Drinks, Casino, and then onboard purchases in their stores account for most of their top revenue makers.

Until C&A emails all D+/PC Members that they are no longer invited to use the lounge, the same treatment should be extended to them as is extended to Suite Guests.

I think the point is there may be a difference between having access to the concierge lounge and having full use of the concierge service.

Do you automatically get an email from the concierge club concierge a few weeks prior to boarding if you haven't booked a grand suite or better?

My understanding is that the diamond lounge concierge ensures all C&A privileges are provided to guests.

Whilst the concierge club concierge will often sort things out for you out of politeness or going the extra mile by the letter of the law they should refer you to our designated concierge in the diamond lounge.

Non diamond or above suite guests have no access to the diamond lounge or it's concierge.

If Royal Caribbean did away with the diamond lounge or the concierge lounge it would decimate the C&A or suite experience. Some of the best friendships we've made have been in the diamond pre-dinner drink gatherings.

iagree.gif

C&A is about new friends and the opportunity to learn of new cruise and port opportunities.

I understand how you feel, but the reality is that RCI doesn't make money per se on the price of the cabin, but rather on what you purchase while onboard. Drinks, Casino, and then onboard purchases in their stores account for most of their top revenue makers.

As per their annual and quarterly reports, 60% revenue comes from the cabins, 40% from on-board spending.

Whose reality? I'm betting if your figure cost per squarefoot per passenger, they are making more money from those people with the larger suites.

I think the point is there may be a difference between having access to the concierge lounge and having full use of the concierge service.

Do you automatically get an email from the concierge club concierge a few weeks prior to boarding if you haven't booked a grand suite or better?

My understanding is that the diamond lounge concierge ensures all C&A privileges are provided to guests.

I find no difference between having access/full use of concierge services. Again, we do not expect this privilege because of the cabin type that we book (which is a JS or above. JS cabins have not had CL access since 2006). We were given this privilege because we earned it. My husband does not drink and I might have a glass of wine on occasion. We only visit the lounge in the evenings if we have friends on board who are also using the lounge.

Not all Concierge will email their suite guests prior to arrival. This can be hit or miss and depends on the ship and the Concierge on board.

Either Concierge would be the middleman since all C&A privileges must be verified by the Loyalty Ambassador who is part of Crown & Anchor.

Edited by cruisenfever

As per their annual and quarterly reports, 60% revenue comes from the cabins, 40% from on-board spending.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. We were told many years ago that Revenue from purchases/casino was much more important than cabin sales. I stand corrected!