Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

People who say this isn't a big deal are kidding themselves. Because this person was self monitoring and decided she would go on her cruise anyway has done a huge amount of harm, even though she may not have Ebola, this has massive costs. How would you feel if you were on this ship and could not make the ports, the loss of port fees to those ports. The loss of income to the businesses at the ports, just so somebody could have their vacation and they knew best. Now you will have the ship coming back to the port and they have the task of trying to sanitize this ship, maybe the next group won't be able to cruise because of that. This is so sad.

Although it is a disappointment to all aboard the Magic, and it is very extreme, I applaud the Belize government for preventing the ship to dock and in doing so protected their citizens.

Carnival said other passengers weren't affected they still called at Belize. Only the two quarantined could not leave the ship. The ship however had not been given clearance to dock in Cozumel. Guests are receiving. $200 OBC. Ship is heading to Galveston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise Junky

...containment measures have been too lax. Unless the borders are controlled, flights restricted, and every single possibly exposed person/pet quarantined - it will not stop anytime soon. Things will either fizzle out (hoping for this one!) or continue to develop...

I agree. Let's hope the newly-appointed Ebola czar can get it together quickly!

People who say this isn't a big deal are kidding themselves. Because this person was self monitoring and decided she would go on her cruise anyway has done a huge amount of harm, even though she may not have Ebola, this has massive costs. How would you feel if you were on this ship and could not make the ports, the loss of port fees to those ports. The loss of income to the businesses at the ports, just so somebody could have their vacation and they knew best. Now you will have the ship coming back to the port and they have the task of trying to sanitize this ship, maybe the next group won't be able to cruise because of that. This is so sad.
She "may" have handled the specimen and was cleared by the CDC to travel as she was extremely low risk. It's been 19 days and no symptoms.

All passengers on the ship are being given $200 each plus 50% of their cruise fare as FCC. Very sad situation not helped by hysteria. The Ministry of Belize should check their facts before terrifying people.

I was looking to see if there were any price drops yet on my Jan. 18 Emerald sailing in light of this new ebola news and this is the message on those cruises now:

"Pricing is currently not available for this date or the selected cabin type. Please try a different departure date, cabin type or check back later. You may also call 1-800-774-6237 for further details. "

2 hours ago the pricing was showing up. The message comes up for all saling dates of the Emerald from Houston.

Cozumel is one of the ports, and today they would not let the Carnival Magic dock. And with Belize now talking about turning away Americans because of 2 cases in the US, I wonder if Princess is finding alternate ports. Final payment is due Oct. 20, 3 days from now and I don't want to pay if I don't know where my cruise is going.

We were supposed to be sailing on the Crown tomorrow and had to cancel for non-ebola related reasons. We hope to sail this route next year as we did last year: it was, by far, our best cruise. We are planning a winter cruise. Will Ebola change this?

Some say that life is too short to cancel your cruise. Others think life is too precious to take unnecessary risks. Both views are valid. Everybody has to do their own risk/benefit analysis. This will be different for different people and can even vary for the same individual at different times.

I do not think it is fair to attack others for how they evaluate the risks vs benefits. Also it does not have to be all or nothing: just because someone decides not to cruise right now does not mean they may as well stay home and take to their beds.

I would like more information before I book my next cruise and since I had no plans to book it soon anyway, I will be able to take a wait-and-see approach.

I was looking to see if there were any price drops yet on my Jan. 18 Emerald sailing in light of this new ebola news and this is the message on those cruises now:

"Pricing is currently not available for this date or the selected cabin type. Please try a different departure date, cabin type or check back later. You may also call 1-800-774-6237 for further details. "

2 hours ago the pricing was showing up. The message comes up for all saling dates of the Emerald from Houston.

Cozumel is one of the ports, and today they would not let the Carnival Magic dock. And with Belize now talking about turning away Americans because of 2 cases in the US, I wonder if Princess is finding alternate ports. Final payment is due Oct. 20, 3 days from now and I don't want to pay if I don't know where my cruise is going.

i have no such message on my 5 day cruise on the Emerald Nov 11, which stops at Cozumel. Don't see it on Jan 18 or any other date. Perhaps Princess was just updating the site. Edited by billco

...Some say that life is too short to cancel your cruise. Others think life is too precious to take unnecessary risks. Both views are valid. Everybody has to do their own risk/benefit analysis. This will be different for different people and can even vary for the same individual at different times.

I do not think it is fair to attack others for how they evaluate the risks vs benefits. Also it does not have to be all or nothing: just because someone decides not to cruise right now does not mean they may as well stay home and take to their beds...

Well said!

Has anybody seen this:Today on Cruise Critic UK:"In conjunction with cruise line health and medical staff, CLIA introduced a policy to deny boarding to passengers and crew arriving from countries the CDC has designated with a Level 3 Travel Health warning. The policy extends to those who have traveled to those countries within 21 days of the ship embarkation date".

I can't find the confirmation of this statement anywhere, not on CLIA or CDC, or any news sites. Has anybody seen it mentioned in any other articles?

We really want to cruise in February, 30 days, but we feel that we may sit this one out. Still hoping for a miracle that this will be contained before our final payment. We are looking at the risks. Get on a plane or ship with someone on it and then you are confined 21 days. Being self employed, we would have no income coming in and no one paying us for those 21 days. I wonder if others have thought of this? If this is something NOT to worry about, why are they contacting all the people on the flights with her and those thereafter? I think there is a lot they do not know at this time. If you do a search on ebola updates, it comes up with someone who was contacted who was sitting within 3 ft of her and he is now in quarantine for 21 days. He wasn't even sitting next to her.

We do believe you can't be afraid; however, ebola is really scary. There is no cure and there are not enough qualified hospitals to handle a lot of people. These are facts.

This is flu season and a lot of people may think it is just the flu, and not think anything of it. That along with all the other risks...we think we will sit this out.

I see pricing for all January sailings of Emerald Princess :confused: No itinerary changes either...

Edited by RickEk

I see pricing for all January sailings of Emerald Princess :confused: No itinerary changes either...

Yea, it's back. maybe I just happened to log on while princess was updating prices.

I did scan the deck plan of unsold cabins for the Jan. 18 Emerald sailing. It appears maybe only 15-20% of the cabins on the entire ship are sold. Final payment is Oct. 20. I wonder if lots of people just canceled or it had never sold very well prior to this ebola hype in the media. Me, I'll be looking for price drops or free upgrades if the ship remains nearly empty!!

This was certainly a big deal to the people affected on this cruise, but that doesn't mean everyone else on earth should panic and cancel all travel plans. The odds of getting killed on your way to the dock are much higher than the odds of getting ebola.

I've read that lab tech self quarantined herself, I'm wondering why? was she feeling bad? How long had she been feeling bad? I doubt she got on the ship and immediately self quarantined. Lots of unanswered questions.

Didn't she quarantine herself after being contacted by the CDC ? She had ZERO symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was certainly a big deal to the people affected on this cruise, but that doesn't mean everyone else on earth should panic and cancel all travel plans. The odds of getting killed on your way to the dock are much higher than the odds of getting ebola.

Exactly but that would only make the local news.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

The odds of getting killed on your way to the dock are much higher than the odds of getting ebola.

Forget it - belief in stories, media, hysterics has over taken logic and reasoning and the word of medical professionals. The percentage of the US population affect by ebola is miniscule. Conditions have to be specific for transmission to occur. But people would rather be in a panic. One wonders what would happen if there was a real emergency and their ship went down and they had to get to a lifeboat.

While I think it inconsiderate to sail or engage others whenever sick (how come some people posting here boast that they cheat quarantine when they show symptoms of norovirus and no one goes hysterical over that?) the fact is the technician sailing isn't causing all the problems that you state MAY happen. All that is a result of over-reaction.

U.S. should be doing the same for its citizens and ban all flights to and from the affected countries (except for military and relief flights). Obama needs to start leading before more are infected. It's becoming shameful.

How many North Americans are infected? What percentage of the population is suffering? Should we really be going to such great lengths when the number of people affected is so low? This is not a new disease...if infection was that easy, it would have spread (remember SARS?) much further than it has.

Edited by bdjam

Why would anyone be concerned about catching Ebola on a cruise? It's not airborne, you'd have to have direct contact with the fluids from someone exhibiting symptoms, Princess (or any other line) wouldn't fly crew (if there were any which I don't think there are) directly from West Africa to the ship, and cruise ships are no longer stopping in West Africa.

You are thousands of times more likely to get a cold or the flu.

It's interesting that all of reported cases in the US of someone "exhibiting symptoms" have all been negative. The only real cases have been someone returning from West Africa or was in direct physical contact with someone with Ebola.

There's far more hysteria than fact or reality. FYI, I'm going back to Africa for another safari next year and I'm astonished at the number of people concerned about my doing so. I'll be no where near West Africa nor do I plan on being in close physical contact to the point of exchanging bodily fluids.

Are we 100% sure that it's not airborne?? Conspiracy theorists want to know.

Have the family members of the gentleman in Texas that died gotten Ebola? They were in direct contact with him. I don't think they have, so far. If anyone should have come down with it they should have.

Have the family members of the gentleman in Texas that died gotten Ebola? They were in direct contact with him. I don't think they have, so far. If anyone should have come down with it they should have.

As well as the folks that have been relocating the Ebola patients via air ambulance since August 1.

Mike:)

I've read that lab tech self quarantined herself, I'm wondering why? was she feeling bad? How long had she been feeling bad? I doubt she got on the ship and immediately self quarantined. Lots of unanswered questions.

"I read somewhere..." is part of the problem. I read somewhere (the CDC website) that the Ebola virus is not easy to contract, not through the air, and only through direct contact with someone who has the virus. I also read somewhere (The National Enquirer) that vaccinations cause autism. The same people who are hysterical over the minuscule possibility of ever encountering anyone with Ebola are probably the same ones who refuse to vaccinate their children and have allowed epidemic outbreaks of whooping cough and measles in California. I guess it's easier to be hysterical than it is to educate oneself about the facts.

I posted this on the other thread, but thought it should go here too...

Princess Press Release:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/10/PR-Princess-Cruises-Statement-on-Ebola.html

Hopefully it'll be more thorough than the general health screening questionnaire that we all know is a joke. :cool:

"I read somewhere..." is part of the problem. I read somewhere (the CDC website) that the Ebola virus is not easy to contract, not through the air, and only through direct contact with someone who has the virus. I also read somewhere (The National Enquirer) that vaccinations cause autism. The same people who are hysterical over the minuscule possibility of ever encountering anyone with Ebola are probably the same ones who refuse to vaccinate their children and have allowed epidemic outbreaks of whooping cough and measles in California. I guess it's easier to be hysterical than it is to educate oneself about the facts.

I don't think anyone knows whether it can be transmitted if someone is sitting next to you (full ebola systems) and sneezes into your face. A nurse who has treated ebola victims in Liberia thinks it possibly could. I don't think the CDC or anyone knows for sure. Only time will tell.