Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

As a gay man who survived the epidemic called AIDS, the way the disease was transmitted was not initially known. And because it showed up in the gay community first, it was considered a non-issue for the rest of the population (we won't go into the fact that gay men were allowed to dies in mass before protests and uprising actually made the government decide to address the epidemic). Once it was considered dangerous to the overall population, it was studied and the way it was transmitted was understood - THEN there was realization that the overall population could be infected. And then it was realized that you couldn't get it from drinking from the same glass, kissing someone or touching them.

Back to ebola, the method of transmission is known. The only reason for the different opinions here is the fact that the media is considered a more reliable source than actual medical authorities.

I, personally, am ashamed about how the world initially reacted to the AIDS epidemic. I worked for a major airline in the 80s to late 90s and saw so many lovely friends in their 20s and 30s become old men overnight and die without any hope. I also cringe at the people who were ostracized and treated like lepers because of hysteria. PLEASE don't blame this young nurse. She did what she was told and it happens that what she was told was wrong. Let's all pray for her and the other nurse who risked their young lives to help someone.

AIDS is much easier to transmit than Ebola

Definitely not! But interpreting your statement in another way, HIV infected many people because it has a long latent period for perhaps up to 10 years without manifesting symptoms. Therefore, people were able to unknowingly spread the disease.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a pioneer AIDS researcher who’s now the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has stated that HIV is less transmissible than ebola.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/02/ebola-and-aids-a-tale-of-two-viruses/

50,000 people die every year of complications from the flu. That's every single year. For years vs. one person in the US who lived in West Africa.

Yes, Ebola is a dreadful disease but unlike the flu, it's not airborne. You're not going to get it from being in a crowd or among other people.

Please put this into perspective.

The Ebola virus can be airborne via sneezing or coughing by an infected person.

I really wasn't concerned about it on a ship but then saw that there is someone on the Carnival Magic who is self quarantined due to preventive measures. She handled the blood from the man that died.

Still will not change my plans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-monitors-health-care-worker-aboard-cruise-ship-26262568

Before the hysteria, the public was told not to worry about AIDS unless they were a gay/bisexual male. Now we are told not to worry about Ebola. Sounds too familiar.

I'm not changing my travel plans but to dismiss this as a couple of isolated cases is careless.

I agree.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I really wasn't concerned about it on a ship but then saw that there is someone on the Carnival Magic who is self quarantined due to preventive measures. She handled the blood from the man that died.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-monitors-health-care-worker-aboard-cruise-ship-26262568

It was only a matter of time but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

If you are looking for cruise deals, this will do the trick.

Cruise ships aren't designed to handle Ebola. Heck hospitals can barely handle it.

I also saw this on the news this morning. I don't think this is an issue as lab techs always take universal precautions when handling specimens, unlike the nurses who were thrown into handling ebola without proper training and equipment.

And there you have it....All it takes is one hospital that doesn't practice proper protocol. This thread was only started on the 14th and 3 days later here we are.

This article states that the person is symptomatic. I wonder if 4000 people will be quarantined. I bet the next sailing is gonna be pretty empty.

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

From what I've read elsewhere, the Belize article is incorrect. No symptoms. Just being cautious

Although I still believe that the risk is somewhat low, I maintain that I am happy to have purchased the insurance for our cruise. And, I know people say that many cancel in the last few weeks before final payment but I keep seeing more and more cabins becoming available on my previously almost sold out cruise.

Be aware, this could get scary.

From what I've read elsewhere, the Belize article is incorrect. No symptoms. Just being cautious

I read that also, by who do you trust? And what really happened? Did she sail for a few days and then have symptoms? Why did she self quarantine? When did she tell carnival and for what reason? Why say anything if you felt you were well enough to go on a cruise and weren't having symptoms? Obviously there are many facts we still do not know.

I read that also, by who do you trust? And what really happened? Did she sail for a few days and then have symptoms? Why did she self quarantine? When did she tell carnival and for what reason? Why say anything if you felt you were well enough to go on a cruise and weren't having symptoms? Obviously there are many facts we still do not know.

I would think the ship has a far better idea of if she's had any symptoms than Belize. If you're on Facebook, read what John Heald wrote this morning. She's a very low risk and is showing no symptoms. Total precaution.

Late afternoon on Wednesday, October 15, we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The CDC informed us that at no point in time has this individual had any direct contact with any infected patients nor has this guest exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection for 19 days since this guest was present in the lab with testing samples. We w...ere not aware of this situation at the time this guest embarked the ship, and the CDC deemed this individual to be low risk and cleared to travel.

We continue to be in close contact with the CDC and our medical team continues to monitor the guest. The individual remains symptom free and is not contagious. The CDC has advised us the guests and crew on board are not at risk.

Due to a change in CDC monitoring procedures yesterday the CDC requested this guest be returned home from Belize. The U.S. government did make an attempt to arrange to fly the guest home from Belize yesterday, however, was unable to finalize arrangements with the Belize government. This resulted in our delay from departing from Belize last evening. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew.

It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and presently it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board until we return to Galveston on Sunday.

Edited by Cruise Junky

And there you have it....All it takes is one hospital that doesn't practice proper protocol. This thread was only started on the 14th and 3 days later here we are.

All it takes is one incompetent CDC. This could (and probably would have) happened in any hospital (other than the four specialized institutions) as the CDC didn't have sufficient protocols in place to handle ebola.

From airplane to cruise ship - didn't take long. Travel restrictions or no, I still think boarding any type of public transportation during the monitoring period is indefensible. If there is any chance in the universe that you have been exposed, you should have enough common sense and regard for the rest of the population to not travel until you are certain that you are in the clear. I also saw an interview with Amber's uncle this morning on The Today Show where he said she did not contact the CDC, contrary to previous reports.

For all of you who are defending the nurse's actions, would you want to be in the seat next to her on the plane? Or in her same seat on the next flight?

I also saw this on the news this morning. I don't think this is an issue as lab techs always take universal precautions when handling specimens, unlike the nurses who were thrown into handling ebola without proper training and equipment.

Universal precautions are not sufficient to prevent the spread of ebola, standard fluid impervious gowns, gloves, procedure mask, etc. are not enough. Also, it's not just lab techs that utilize the precautions- nurses SHOULD be using them too. I know that I wear gloves when starting or removing IVs, giving injections; heck - I wear gloves to pick up every kiddo's diaper I have to weigh. The hospitals generally do not know WHAT is needed for Ebola precautions, nor do they have much (if any) of the necessary equipment available. It IS complicated to put on and especially to properly remove all of the layers and types of gear that are currently recommended by the CDC for Ebola. Also, containment measures have been too lax. Unless the borders are controlled, flights restricted, and every single possibly exposed person/pet quarantined - it will not stop anytime soon. Things will either fizzle out (hoping for this one!) or continue to develop.

Personally, I'm waiting for a good price drop and then fully intend to book a Caribbean cruise for January.

We need to end all commercial flights to and from the affected countries - NOW (except for military, relief flights into/out of those countries). The longer the U.S. (and our leaders) fail to act, the more infected will be infected. We have to think of our own citizens/economy first.

Universal precautions are not sufficient to prevent the spread of ebola, standard fluid impervious gowns, gloves, procedure mask, etc. are not enough. Also, it's not just lab techs that utilize the precautions- nurses SHOULD be using them too. I know that I wear gloves when starting or removing IVs, giving injections; heck - I wear gloves to pick up every kiddo's diaper I have to weigh. The hospitals generally do not know WHAT is needed for Ebola precautions, nor do they have much (if any) of the necessary equipment available. It IS complicated to put on and especially to properly remove all of the layers and types of gear that are currently recommended by the CDC for Ebola. Also, containment measures have been too lax. Unless the borders are controlled, flights restricted, and every single possibly exposed person/pet quarantined - it will not stop anytime soon. Things will either fizzle out (hoping for this one!) or continue to develop.

Personally, I'm waiting for a good price drop and then fully intend to book a Caribbean cruise for January.

Uhhh, I have fully suited up, respirator and all, with training in hazardous materials, bio and chemical. All I'm saying is that Lab techs are trained in handling potentially serious biohazards. A friend who is a tech says she only worries when the hospital overloads her and she is rushing to process the specimens. Sounds like a real concern to me. Many of us have jobs that put us at risk every day.

The nurses were surely at a disadvantage here. And the mistakes made will be a learning lesson for us all. But to assume a "chicken little" attitude is not helpful and hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.

Edited by lolane1

Although it is a disappointment to all aboard the Magic, and it is very extreme, I applaud the Belize government for preventing the ship to dock and in doing so protected their citizens.

U.S. should be doing the same for its citizens and ban all flights to and from the affected countries (except for military and relief flights). Obama needs to start leading before more are infected. It's becoming shameful.

We need to end all commercial flights to and from the affected countries - NOW (except for military, relief flights into/out of those countries). The longer the U.S. (and our leaders) fail to act, the more infected will be infected. We have to think of our own citizens/economy first.

Agreed, and then those individuals who are traveling for humanitarian purposes do need to respect the 21 day quarantine.

We need to put a moratorium on visas from the affected areas as well.

Edited by ggprincess2004

I hope the virus doesn't spread as fast as the discussions on these forums. I wish CC could set up an isolation forum where it could all be discussed in one place.

Amen! How many people are there on earth? How many have/had Ebola? I still like my odds.

Amen! How many people are there on earth? How many have/had Ebola? I still like my odds.

Likewise;)

So much so that I just finished lunch sitting at a table next to the crew that keeps that Gulfstream III flying that is transporting those Ebola patients all over the world.

Mike:)