Royal Caribbean Innovations

Which Royal Caribbean innovations now gone do you miss?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which Royal Caribbean innovations now gone do you miss?

• 18th Hole Bar (variety)
    • Cupcake Cupboard (Allure, recently eliminated from Oasis
    • Boxing ring (Freedom of the Seas)
    • Self levitating pool tables (Radiance class)
    • Oceanographic institute (Adventure, Allure)
    • Rising Tide Bar (Oasis, Allure)
    • The 500-calorie solarium restaurant (Oasis)
    • Revolving bar in Viking Crown Lounge (Radiance class)
    • What else? Please post below.

At Cruise Critic, we're pretty excited about checking out Quantum of the Seas, beginning next Friday (stay tuned for links to photos, commentary, blogs, etc.). We love that Royal Caribbean is such an innovative line when it comes to creating never before seen things onboard cruise ships (for instance, for Quantum, choices include, among others, the North Star, the simulator for sky diving, interior virtual balcony cabins, a circus school with flying trapeeze, and a robotic bar (questionable innovation in my mind, but we'll go with it :) ).

Still: Somehow this weekend we've been feeling nostalgic. Do you remember some of Royal Caribbean's innovations gone-by? Which did you love? Vote in our poll and please, below, feel free to include others we didn't include!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I was with you up until you listed Bolero, Schooner Bar, and Chops Grill. I'm unclear how those are "innovations"? I mean they were obviously the first to have those names, but other than that, how are/were they innovative?

Edited by time4u2go

Absolutely excellent point, time4u2go. Will edit the message to delete that! We just love 'em but you're right they're not necessarily innovative.

Carolyn

I was with you up until you listed Bolero, Schooner Bar, and Chops Grill. I'm unclear how those are "innovations"? I mean they were obviously the first to have those names, but other than that, how are/were they innovative?

Yeah we did mean self LEVELING, not levitating. Sorry :)

Rising Tide is not gone but latest we know it's not being added...so is not expanding.

Carolyn

Self levitating pool table...?! I am pretty sure you mean self leveling pool table.

The Rising Tide Bar isn't gone.

How can the biggest and best innovation not be listed?

ROYAL PROMINADE and expanding the width of ships (Voyager and Oasis class).

People forget what a game changer Voyager was when she was introduced in 1999.

I can see why some may want it, but we're happier without the shopping mall feel!:D

Long live the Radiance Class!

Edited by American Bear

I thought that Boleros was innovative in that it was a lounge dedicated to South and Central American and Caribbean music, plus typical drinks of the region such as mojitos and cuba libres. The bands there usually palyed salsa and merengue, bachata and sme more traditional music of the region. Were any other cruise lines dedicating lounges specifically for such music before Royal Caribbean? If so, I stand corrected.

If Quantum and Anthem don't have a Boleros, I will miss that lounge. Perhaps, however, these new ships were not intended to cruise in the Caribbean much, so a Boleros would not be as popular with the passengers.

If the new Oasis Class ship does not have a Rising Tide Bar or whatever it is called, I will miss that too.

If Quantum and Anthem don't have a Boleros, I will miss that lounge. Perhaps, however, these new ships were not intended to cruise in the Caribbean much, so a Boleros would not be as popular with the passengers.

Good news - Boleros will be on deck 4 on the Quantum class.

How are you defining "gone"? AFAIK, all of those features are still available on the class of ship where they were introduced. Perhaps they haven't migrated from class to class, but they're not gone:confused:

Edited by orville99

There are self leveling pool tables on Quantum.

I'm sure hoping. I remember bringing cues from my employer when we traveled on Serenade because those on Radiance were in pretty sorry shape. Happy times. If only I were even the tiniest bit good at shooting pool.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Actually, now that we think back on it, Bolero's WAS innovative at its time -- a lounge which, as Gangway Style says was devoted to Latin America and its music and drinks was unique. We love it -- and best we can tell, Bolero's is on Quantum. Will report back for sure....

Carolyn

I thought that Boleros was innovative in that it was a lounge dedicated to South and Central American and Caribbean music, plus typical drinks of the region such as mojitos and cuba libres. The bands there usually palyed salsa and merengue, bachata and sme more traditional music of the region. Were any other cruise lines dedicating lounges specifically for such music before Royal Caribbean? If so, I stand corrected.

If the new Oasis Class ship does not have a Rising Tide Bar or whatever it is called, I will miss that too.

Actually, now that we think back on it, Bolero's WAS innovative at its time -- a lounge which, as Gangway Style says was devoted to Latin America and its music and drinks was unique. We love it -- and best we can tell, Bolero's is on Quantum. Will report back for sure....

Carolyn

Boleros is on Deck 4 across from Guest Services :D