I can't believe NCL is buying REGENT...

Rotterdam

Hi, Wes - Good to hear from you again on this board. Is the Regent/Mil discount effective now, and is it being offered now? How does one get it applied to the invoice for an upcoming cruise! We have a booked cruise on Regent for Oct 2015 (New England/Canada). Best Regards.

Hi, Wes - Good to hear from you again on this board. Is the Regent/Mil discount effective now, and is it being offered now? How does one get it applied to the invoice for an upcoming cruise! We have a booked cruise on Regent for Oct 2015 (New England/Canada). Best Regards.

Not Wes but, went to the Regent site and without a search function, could not find any reference to Military Fares on the Regent site. I did find another site that provides cruises with Military Fares but, cannot name the site. I checked there and appears there are only 3 cruises listed with the Military Fares: Feb 4, 2015 Papeete to Papeete, May 10, 2015, Rome to Barcelona and May 27, 2015, Barcelona to Monte Carlo.

Those are the only Regent Cruises with Military Discounts showing. Sorry pingpong 1 but, not applicable to your cruise and from this quick investigation, appears the discounts are only applied to selected cruises.

Wes already explained that there were three Regent cruises, and Oceania has nineteen.

rallydave, although you cannot name the site, perhaps you could list the dates of the three Regent sailings for pingpong1 and others that may be able to take advantage of this.

Edited by Travelcat2

Wes already explained that there were three Regent cruises, and Oceania has nineteen.

rallydave, although you cannot name the site, perhaps you could list the dates of the three Regent sailings for pingpong1 and others that may be able to take advantage of this.

Read the original post, already stated I cannot list the site and listed dates as well as start & end ports.

Yes Jackie change has taken place already. Regent has three voyages @ military discount, Oceania 19, and NCL dozens and dozens. Eligible military are those now serving active or in reserves, retired with at least 20 years service, medically retired, 100% disabled, or Veterans who have served honorably with at least two years service. NCL, Regent and Oceania have chosen the generous military discount that includes both active and retired, contrast with Holland America who only provides mil. discount to active military now serving. However, if you book Regent military discount be sure to check with the agency booking if the cruise counts as a seven seas society sailing--in our experience with mil. discount on Regent we do not have credit for our Hong Kong to Bangok voyage since we got such a good mil.discount. The military discount fare on Regent (17% discount) also gives up to a $600 OBC and allows you to get $300 OBC if u use AMX-Platinum card (when we booked 4 yrs ago, AMX-Platinum discount was not available).

Is there a "Triple Like button" for this !!

Don't be so quick to praise Regent for offering military fares. IMO, I would suspect the discounts offered are for the sailings that are not selling well. I have also seen similar discounts from certain agencies (never to be named on this board) for the slower selling sailings. When Regent offers high season sailings with a military discount then we can all rejoice (not that I would ever benefit)!

Read the original post, already stated I cannot list the site and listed dates as well as start & end ports.

Okay, I'll bite. I get why you cannot list the site of a TA but there is no reason that I can think of why you cannot list the dates.

Okay, I'll bite. I get why you cannot list the site of a TA but there is no reason that I can think of why you cannot list the dates.

And you wonder why there is so much acrimony on this board??? For the third and last time, read the whole original post I wrote on the subject of military discounts.

So many snarky and deleted posts would be avoided if you actually read all of the words in others posts as well as yours!!

And you wonder why there is so much acrimony on this board??? For the third and last time, read the whole original post I wrote on the subject of military discounts.

So many snarky and deleted posts would be avoided if you actually read all of the words in others posts as well as yours!!

AGREE 100%. You said to Read the original post, already stated I cannot list the site and listed dates as well as start & end ports. I did read the OPS original post (as you know the "original post" refers to the post that the original poster started this thread with). It had nothing to do with Military discounts. Then you clearly stated that you could not list the sites and listed dates. Hope this is truly last time that I will be led on a wild goose chase.

Sunprince -- I still applaud Regent for offering the military discount -- even for only three cruises. These men and women have worked hard to serve our country and, IMO, would not be even looking at a luxury cruise line for a discount. IMO, the reason that NCL offers so many cruises with this discount is the cost of each cruise. If they give a discount on a $600 per week cruise, while it sounds good, it is a fraction of the cost of one week on a Regent ship. While I do not know if it already offered, I hope that all of the main stream cruise lines are offering discounts to the military and also hope that they offer cruises to Wounded Warriors. Wounded Warriors is a big issue in this country right now (thankfully). While I personally support Warrior Canine Connection that provide service dogs to these Warriors, there are many organizations out there. It took way too long for these men and women to be recognized and for help to be offered to them. IMO, this is an extremely worthy cause. In one way I am sorry to be off topic but also happy to share information for our Warriors.

Edited by Travelcat2

He is referring to his post, I suspect it was "original" if it was his first post on this thread. I understood what he meant...and he did list the 3 cruises.

Edited by Sunprince

He is referring to his post, I suspect it was "original" if it was his first post on this thread. I understood what he meant...and he did list the 3 cruises.

As for military discounts, I won't get any further into that subject as my opinions would not necessarily be that of the typical American poster to this thread.

I understand that now but he said that he couldn't post the dates of the cruises. Why would he post that after already posting the dates? This is what caused confusion. He was much more clear in his last post when he took the opportunity to take me to task. Hopefully we can get back on track which is about Regent being acquired by NCL.

I do have something of interest to add to this subject. I just learned that a Sr. Director of Apollo became a member of the Board of Directors of NCL in January, 2014. He is definitely a proponent of both Oceania and Regent. IMO, this is another bit of good news.

Edited by Travelcat2

I understand that now but he said that he couldn't post the dates of the cruises.

No, no, no. He said while he couldn't post the web site he "listed dates and start and end ports." You just didn't read what he wrote carefully before criticizing it.

Edited by marinaro44

maybe new change with impending NCL new ownership--first time in about three years, now both Oceania and Regent are offering military discount fares. Norwegian has offered military discount fares for a long time. Healthy discount off of rssc site on these military discount fares. (at least 17 percent) Kudos to the (Regent, Oceania, NCL)leadership for offering these fares to our deserving military members (active & retired)

Wes, I am so glad this is happening for you, and other military families! I know that over the years, you have been fighting for this. While I can't take advantage, so glad you can!

Definitely good news and we will take advantage of it in the future assuming that RSSC expands the number of cruises so that there are some viable options for all mil and vets.

Wes: Apparently you took the lead on this, so thanks from all us retirees.

Z and TB

Definitely good news and we will take advantage of it in the future assuming that RSSC expands the number of cruises so that there are some viable options for all mil and vets.

Does the offer include "all vets" or just active and retired military? Princess, for example, gives on-board credits to all veterans, not just active duty and retired military. This greatly expands the number of people affected.

Eligible military are those now serving active or in reserves, retired with at least 20 years service, medically retired, 100% disabled, or Veterans who have served honorably with at least two years service. (when we booked 4 yrs ago, AMX-Platinum discount was not available).

Boy, that takes in just about everybody with any military experience.

Olivia, Z/TB, thanks for your kind words--our Veterans/Active/Reserve military deserve recognition for their selfless service--so thanks again to Regent/Oceania and NCL for supporting military discount fares--even if the sailings are not selling well.

Marinara44: Here is Regent's military requirement to qualify for their discount:

Regent offers military discounts on select sailings to active personnel currently serving in the Canadian Forces, United States Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard, Navy, Marines, or Reserves, as well as U.S. Armed Forces Personnel in the following branches; Central Intelligence Agency, Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Security Agency (excluding Homeland Security), Secret Service, NASA Kennedy Space Center, NASA Johnson Space Center, and the Department of Health and Human Services. Retired personnel from any of these divisions are also eligible. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or who served in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above are eligible, as are all Veterans Advantage members. Finally, spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. Qualifying guests must present the proper military ID and a driver's license or passport at the time of booking.

For many years, Norwegian offered a Military discount, simply requiring you to show a DD214 at check in to verify.

A few years ago, they modified the program to only be valid on selected cruises...and only for Active or retired.

They still have the program, but today it is more inclusive...good for anyone who has served.

But still, on selected cruises.

http://www.ncl.com/promo/military

Funny - I seem to remember that the Carlson family sold Radisson cruises to Regent Hotels. If they didn't, how come the name of the line suddenly changed?

Simple. Carlson owns both the Radisson and Regent brands. It was determined in the mid 2000s that the Radisson brand did not represent the upscale nature of the line, especially as the Radisson hotel brand was on decline in the US. This was a smart move that made perfect sense. It's my understanding that a 40-year licensing deal for the Regent brand was secured by PCH in recent months. Carlson still owns the brand however.

Frankly, the NCL acquisition was all too predictable. One only needed to watch Apollo's moves to see what they had in mind. This was a 3 or 5 year plan that was being executed. Hopefully the increased leverage with port agreements and provisioning will be sufficient to satisfy investors in the short term, but expect additional "economies" to be forth coming over the next 18 months, not necessarily at our expense but certainly for those that work for PCH.

Edited by TPAtravelfan

but expect additional "economies" to be forth coming over the next 18 months, not necessarily at our expense but certainly for those that work for PCH.

Anyone who has been through an acquisition (I went through two during my working career) can tell you this is pretty much a certainty. Hopefully it will not impact the on-board experience in a noticeable manner.

Simple. Carlson owns both the Radisson and Regent brands. It was determined in the mid 2000s that the Radisson brand did not represent the upscale nature of the line, especially as the Radisson hotel brand was on decline in the US. This was a smart move that made perfect sense. It's my understanding that a 40-year licensing deal for the Regent brand was secured by PCH in recent months. Carlson still owns the brand however.

Frankly, the NCL acquisition was all too predictable. One only needed to watch Apollo's moves to see what they had in mind. This was a 3 or 5 year plan that was being executed. Hopefully the increased leverage with port agreements and provisioning will be sufficient to satisfy investors in the short term, but expect additional "economies" to be forth coming over the next 18 months, not necessarily at our expense but certainly for those that work for PCH.

Not only the "economies" for the people who work for them, but as was quite evident on our most recent Lisbon-Miami crossing, I can't imagine any additional economies than those that already affected us on our "luxury" cruise..

If they do occur, they will be competing with Carnival.....however, nothing wrong with Carnival's bottom line....especially if you own some of it.

We sailed on the Royal cruise lines for our 25 wedding anniversary in 95 and it was our best cruise ever. NCL bought them and shut them down within 3 years. Sorry to hear this.:mad:

Ruby Princess, 5/3/15, Constellation, 2/21/15-3/7/15, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess 221 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 570 points

• 2 weeks later...

Update, today Regent & Oceania now no longer offering military discount fares.

This morning, asked the CEO of Norwegian Cruise lines to consider offering military discount fares to follow Norwegian's outstanding example. Within thirty minutes, Mr. Sheehan wrote back:

Thanks, reviewing as we move forward

Will keep y'all posted and keep pressing foward for our deserving military