Anyone bring carry-on bags onto ship themselves?

ilovetotravel1977

So is that where all of the luggage goes from the porters? Or just for anyone who brings it themselves?

Luggage that you give to a Porter (that has your luggage tag on it) will arrive in your stateroom a few hours-ish after you check in.

Luggage that you carry on yourself can be held at Headliners until the Staterooms are turned-around and ready for you to occupy. I believe that you need to pick up any bags that you leave at Headliners, they don't deliver them to your stateroom (but please correct me someone if I'm wrong)

Edited by arjay9

My Wife and I went on Epic for our Honeymoon last March all we had was one carry on each that we brought on the ship by ourselves. It was great having everything and no luggage to wait for! It was Easy!

We frequently check a couple, bigger ones. And then carry on several (roller types) that have our more immediate needs. You can carry on yourself anything that will fit through that port's security scanner (similar to airport type scanner, but sometimes bigger)

Has anyone brought their carry-on luggage while embarking onto the ship so they didn't have to wait until later to get it? DH and I will each have a small carry-on but that's it.

We will be on the Epic so I am unsure of the layout and if this would even be doable. A PITA? Likely.

Isn't that the definition of carry-on? It's right there in the word.

Just saying!

Sorry to be an ass. Couldn't resist.

Isn't that the definition of carry-on? It's right there in the word.

Just saying!

Sorry to be an ass. Couldn't resist.

No worries! After I typed that post I kinda thought someone would crack on that hehe

I'm just sure some folks don't want to have to deal with any luggage once on board.

Looks like a few of us Canadians in this thread!

We were on the sky out of Miami last weekend and there was a lounge very close to where we boarded the ship where people could check their carry-on if they wanted, then retrieve them whenever. Not sure, but maybe they even delivered the unclaimed ones if they were not picked up by a certain time.

Or maybe they just threw them overboard. Not sure.

We checked everything with the curbside porters when we got out of the taxi and it was very liberating going through the check-in process without anything but the clothes on our backs.

I think we'll do the same thing on the breakaway on our sailing at the end of this month. Get on the boat, buy our corks and caps package, and punch that unlimited ticket to fun town!

We check our large suitcases with the Porters. We NEVER leave the carry on with anyone or anywhere........Contains all our meds and other important things!!! We always put a luggage tag on and, of course, it's locked w/ TSA locks, just in case we accidentally forget it while having lunch or checking things out on the ship....:)

We nearly always do self-embarkation (leave nothing with the porters) and self-disembarkation. My luggage interlocks in a nice single stack, so i have 3 pieces which wheel along as one.

I travelled around the world like this, all carry-on.

I doubt the porters at NY will help me with my rolling duffel bad, so it self-check in for me. :D Mostly I will take it with me while getting lunch at O'sheenan or the MDR;if there's no place to leave it before the cabins are ready.

Thanks everyone. As a "planner", I like unpacking and setting up shop as soon as we arrive to a destination. DH would just live out of his suitcase if I didn't organize right away!

Why take everything out of the suitcase when in reality you have to put it all back in again to get off the ship? DH sounds very efficient:D

Why take everything out of the suitcase when in reality you have to put it all back in again to get off the ship? DH sounds very efficient:D

If you're going to be on a ship for more than 7 days, would be wise to take your clothes out and into the closet. Or just stuff your clothes in packing cubes and put them in the drawers, much easier to put in and out.:D

I bring carry on with every cruise we do. On our last cruise I asked one of the staff as we entered the ship where we could store it, and she said bring up to your room, (this about 11:15). We dropped our luggage in our room and were on our marry way to get food and walk around the ship.

The time before that we stored it in the Bliss lounge, which they tagged, gave us a copy, and when we heard our cabins were ready, we showed our tag, and brought our luggage up to our room.

Hope this helps!:D

I've never embarked a ship when the cabin hasn't been ready. Does this happen on all cruise lines now, or is it an NCL thing?

Hearing this I won't be in any rush to get on board early. Seems like another case of cutting down on staff.

No doubt the initial fare is cheaper than when I first cruised, but the standards are much lower.

If there's a chance our room won't be ready, then I'll check in all luggage, no carry on.

Thanks everyone. As a "planner", I like unpacking and setting up shop as soon as we arrive to a destination. DH would just live out of his suitcase if I didn't organize right away!

I don't know if this was the right thing to do but on my cruise on the Epic last year, we brought two small carry-ons on board. Very easy. we walked straight to our cabin @ about 1130 (no signs saying you could not do this like they have on Carnival and the big doors were open), put the carry-ons in the closet so they would not be in the way of our steward, happened to meet our steward and say hello, then went wandering around the ship. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. :)

Edited by Out to sea!

I've never embarked a ship when the cabin hasn't been ready. Does this happen on all cruise lines now, or is it an NCL thing?

Hearing this I won't be in any rush to get on board early. Seems like another case of cutting down on staff.

No doubt the initial fare is cheaper than when I first cruised, but the standards are much lower.

If there's a chance our room won't be ready, then I'll check in all luggage, no carry on.

They have to empty, clean, setup thousands of cabins in a few hours. It is not a case of "cutting down on staff". It just takes time. Those folks that board late morning are getting on shortly after the others get off. Those that get on more like 1-2pm can go direct to their rooms as they are done.

We check our large suitcases with the Porters. We NEVER leave the carry on with anyone or anywhere........Contains all our meds and other important things!!! We always put a luggage tag on and, of course, it's locked w/ TSA locks, just in case we accidentally forget it while having lunch or checking things out on the ship....:)

^^^ THIS!!!

When traveling, those bags with meds... do NOT leave our sides until we are able to leave them in a locked room (hotel or ship).

And then, the critical meds go right into the safe, along with any valuables, passports, cash, etc.

GeezerCouple