A question for =X= loyalists w/ RCI experience

MustBCruzn

DH and I are considering an impromptu cruise to join family on the Liberty OTS, but I'm quite nervous about the prospect. Although we're experienced cruisers, we've only ever cruised Celebrity (2 on M Class, 8 on S Class), and much prefer the S class over the M class. I know we'll enjoy our time with family...and I keep telling myself that any cruise is better than no cruise...but am I in for a huge disappointment? I welcome your thoughts and opinions!

I haven't yet sailed Celebrity so it's difficult to say.

But while some lines are certainly better [for me] than others, if my family or friends wanted to go on a line that really wasn't my cup of tea, I'd go without a moments hesitation as even the worst line I have sailed with would be acceptable with good company.

DH and I are considering an impromptu cruise to join family on the Liberty OTS, but I'm quite nervous about the prospect. Although we're experienced cruisers, we've only ever cruised Celebrity (2 on M Class, 8 on S Class), and much prefer the S class over the M class. I know we'll enjoy our time with family...and I keep telling myself that any cruise is better than no cruise...but am I in for a huge disappointment? I welcome your thoughts and opinions!

Hard to say. To some, myself included, all the major lines are more the same than they are different. I tend to enjoy them all, with some slight preferences here and there.

But to some people, I think the little things matter a lot. Those folks might tend to be disappointed that all the little things they like about Celebrity are not the same on RCI.

So it depends on which type a person you might be.

Edited by DWhit

Thank you all for your replies. You're right...it's a cruise with family! I'm going to go and have a blast. Yes, I'm sure it will be different, but it's a cruise and not work!!! Truly this is a "first world problem" as my son would say.:D

Liberty is a great ship, have been on her many times. Tons of things to do, love the layout, just a great ship overall.

I went on a carnival cruise for my nieces pre wedding girls group....i was VERY concerned....

Go in with an open mind

I lowered my expectations and we had a blast.....while i wouldnt choose this line....i would go again with family

Edited by riandei

We, like you, prefer Celebrity. But we have been on Royal many times, including the Liberty. She is a great ship. The food is not as good on Royal as Celebrity, but I think the entertainment is better. Don't miss the ice show! You'll have a great time. Don't forget to get a crown & anchor number before you book to get advantages of whatever status you are with Celebrity.

There is nothing to worry about, its a great ship with lots of family activities. The shows are great, you cannot go wrong.

As the previous posted stated, match your status with RCCL, if you are Elite on Celebrity you will be Diamond on RCCL. So use those benefits if you have a balcony or above booked. Free drinks nightly from 5-8:30 in the diamond club, or use your 3 drink coupons at one of the many bars.

I love Celebrity S class, and my favorite RC ship is Liberty. After dinner and after the shows, settle into a spot at the piano bar. Liberty has absolutely the most fun piano bar musicians of any ship (I've seen 3 different ones and they are all great). You will find that the entertainment on RC is more high energy than on Celebrity. Hopefully, you will enjoy that for a change.

You are not in for a disappointment. We've done a number of cruises on both RC and X and have enjoyed all of them. I believe you will find RC a bit more family oriented in its offerings/activities than X. IMO the RC ships are more innovative than X and the entertainment is more varied and the production shows much better. The production of Saturday Night Fever on Liberty was one of the best shows we've seen. We have also found the service to be comparable on both lines. Since food service and quality are very subjective and personal matters, I will simply say that we have not been disappointed in RC. We have cruised on every class of RC and X ship and have always had very enjoyable experiences.

No way are you in for a disappointment. I was just on Liberty last week. Of all my cruises, I think Liberty has some of the best shows at sea. Saturday Night Fever is a 90 minute Broadway production and it is every bit as good as what you would see on a New York stage. You're guaranteed to be on your feet dancing at the end. The ice show in Studio B is also phenominal, as is the show In The Air.

As mentioned, your Elite status will equate to Diamond, and the Liberty has a beautiful Diamond Lounge on deck 14 (Viking Crown) with floor to ceiling windows and a 24 hour self-serve capuccino machine.

Definitely take this opportunity to try a new line. I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Don't be an elitest. I think that is a word.... We have sailed both, and we do prefer Celebrty because we prefer the food there but our Royal cruises, 4 of them have all been all the fun we made them. We look at the trip first, the line second. Go enjoy things with your family. Make it a special time.

Avoid the Windjammer at breakfast and you'll have a wonderful time :D.

Liberty is a beautiful ship and the entertainment, as Aquahound stated, is outstanding. The Diamond Lounge is also great in the mornings for a quiet, light breakfast (as well as housing a speciality coffee machine) ;). The parades along the Promenade are also great to watch.