TSA locks! Needed or Not?

Tizzy

We are about to go on our first cruise with NCL on the Gem.

We are flying from the UK to New York and I understand we are not allowed to lock our suitcases but can use cases with TSA locks.

I have read all sorts of horror stories about locks being cut off and zipped suitcases being easily broken into. Has anyone had a bad experience?

Would you recommend purchasing a TSA suitcase? Is it worth spending the extra money or should I just use my normal case and leave it unlocked? If anyone has done this trip recently we would really appreciate any travel tips. We leave the ship early in the morning but have an evening flight. Should we book a hotel ? Were transfers to and from the ship easy to do?

I have never locked my luggage and never had a problem. As far as renting a hotel room I would consider renting a car this way you can do some sightseeing and leave your luggage inside. Much cheaper than getting a room. Just make sure you can return the car at airport

Enjoy your trip! :)

I have never locked my luggage and never had a problem. As far as renting a hotel room I would consider renting a car this way you can do some sightseeing and leave your luggage inside. Much cheaper than getting a room. Just make sure you can return the car at airport

They'll be in NYC, that last thing they want to do is rent a car. Look into city tours their are a bunch out there

The TSA locks aren't going to stop people like dodgy baggage handlers getting in - but it would stop a nosy chambermaid, or an opportunistic thief. We got Antler bags where the TSA locks are built in and we're very happy with them. Both our checked bags were opened and searched a few weeks ago on our way from Mumbai to London and the TSA locks worked a treat - no troubles and it all came back locked like we left it.

We have always used them - as others have said it might not help if someone wants in your luggage but it would be a little more of a hassle for them. Everytime I fly I have the "thank you for letting us look in your luggage" note from the TSA - My DH says that is because I lock mine, He does not and never gets a note.....

We never lock our bags or use TSA locks, or zip ties.

They are not a bad idea, but we never bother and we fly multiple times a year.

As to a car in NYC - don't do it. You will also find a hotel room is very expensive which you probably would not use anyways. Get out and see NYC.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I have never travelled with an unlocked suitcase before so will probably purchase one with a TSA lock. I have never been lucky with straps on a suitcase. The suitcase usually reappears without the strap as they do get caught on things or the baggage handlers use the strap to lift the suitcase causing it to snap. Will have to think long and hard about what to do in New York as we get off the ship early in the morning and don't fly until night time back to the UK. Can't see us doing much sightseeing with bags etc. It does sound like the TSA people open a lot of suitcases. I presume all brands of suitcases can be opened with the same key. I have read that people have had the entire lock cut off even with a TSA lock. I can't understand why as you are then left with a useless suitcase and they are not cheap these days.

I have never travelled with an unlocked suitcase before so will probably purchase one with a TSA lock. I have never been lucky with straps on a suitcase. The suitcase usually reappears without the strap as they do get caught on things or the baggage handlers use the strap to lift the suitcase causing it to snap. Will have to think long and hard about what to do in New York as we get off the ship early in the morning and don't fly until night time back to the UK. Can't see us doing much sightseeing with bags etc. It does sound like the TSA people open a lot of suitcases. I presume all brands of suitcases can be opened with the same key. I have read that people have had the entire lock cut off even with a TSA lock.

We do not lock our bags at all while travelling. If somebody wants to get inside the bag, they will - locked or not.

...and if a semi-dishonest baggage handler sees two bags, one with locks and one without locks, which one are they going to go through in there limited time to do so?

Edited by Beaver1975

You can buy separate TSA locks in luggage stores. Some are like little padlocks and some are on straps to go around you case. :)

I use the small TSA padlocks on my luggage. They are very cheap and at least provide a little protection against a random baggage handler who might want to look for valuables. I know my bags have been inspected a few times because the TSA will leave a note in your bag if they had to open it. The lock was never cut off and was always re-locked afterwards. I have never had any issues with theft.

Edited by lbrandon

...and if a semi-dishonest baggage handler sees two bags, one with locks and one without locks, which one are they going to go through in there limited time to do so?

Totally agree.

But, we still do not bother. Maybe those cheap locks are a good idea.

As to valuables - we put those in our carry on. If they want my clothes - great. I need new ones! LOL!

You don't want a rent car in NYC!!

If they don't want wasted effort, then maybe they would consider the locked bag as potentially having the biggest payoff. I doubt a lock would deter a luggage thief anymore than a locked car would deter a car thief.

We never lock our luggage. Just too much hassle. ( Oops, I forgot to put my slippers in. Where's the luggage key? I gave it to you. I'm sure I put it right here! ). Any valuables like jewelry and camera are in our carryon bag, backpack or purse. If someone wants my shampoo or slippers, then go for it.

If they don't want wasted effort, then maybe they would consider the locked bag as potentially having the biggest payoff. I doubt a lock would deter a luggage thief anymore than a locked car would deter a car thief.

We never lock our luggage. Just too much hassle. ( Oops, I forgot to put my slippers in. Where's the luggage key? I gave it to you. I'm sure I put it right here! ). Any valuables like jewelry and camera are in our carryon bag, backpack or purse. If someone wants my shampoo or slippers, then go for it.

Please read my post a little more thoroughly. No a lock will not stop a true thief! But the casual pilfered will be deterred. A baggage handler, no matter the location, would have very little time to break into a locked bag as compared to an unlocked one.

Also, who uses keyed luggage locks in this day and age. I personally have not seen any sold in years. Or is this just to create an argument?

Done, buh bye!

I presume all brands of suitcases can be opened with the same key. I have read that people have had the entire lock cut off even with a TSA lock.
It's not just one key (otherwise every dishonest airport worker would have a copy in their pocket), the locks have codes printed on them corresponding to a bunch of different keys. This means that it takes more time to open the lock, and if the lock turns out to be defective and doesn't open with the key, they will cut the lock. If the lock is built into your suitcase, I guess they will not hesitate to break it, so that might be a reason to keep it simple and cheaper and use separate TSA locks with a normal suitcase.

I have never travelled with an unlocked suitcase before so will probably purchase one with a TSA lock. I have never been lucky with straps on a suitcase. The suitcase usually reappears without the strap as they do get caught on things or the baggage handlers use the strap to lift the suitcase causing it to snap. Will have to think long and hard about what to do in New York as we get off the ship early in the morning and don't fly until night time back to the UK. Can't see us doing much sightseeing with bags etc. It does sound like the TSA people open a lot of suitcases. I presume all brands of suitcases can be opened with the same key. I have read that people have had the entire lock cut off even with a TSA lock.

Actually, TSA physically inspects a very low percentage of luggage, but TSA reminds travelers: "We estimate that for every TSA employee that touches a bag, six to ten airline or airport employees and contractors touch the same bag out of the view of passengers." In short, baggage handlers do not work for TSA and that's where most pilferage occurs. A crooked baggage handler can rifle through your bag and grab something--anything--of value in seconds. There's nothing you can do to prevent this scenario (no lock will stop them), but your best defense is to place your valuables inside your carry-on bags. Experts frequently underscore this point, but travelers frequently ignore their warnings.

Be mindful that TSA is going to be interested in anything that is electronic/electrical or does not scan well in their scanners--even if it's your white-noise machine for sleeping. Place these in your carry-on. Same goes for liquids. Place in your carry-on, provided the total volume falls within TSA's miniscule limits.

Stolen items can be replaced. For cruisers, the worse scenario is lost or late baggage. To reduce this possibility, arrive at the airport early and check your bags immediately. Equally important, tip the check-in personnel generously, treat him with utmost courtesy, and thank him when he's finished processing you. Do not wear flashy clothing/jewelry/watches at check-in. I also think it's safe to say that TSA workers do not appreciate pushy/disrespectful/arrogant/whining travelers, and a peeved TSA worker is not your friend. Finally, make sure the straps on your luggage tags are strong. Here's an excerpt from Conde Nast Traveler:

"In 2010, an astonishing one million suitcases were never recovered at all, vanishing into a sort of baggage black hole because they were either stolen or lost their identifying tags somewhere along the way. “The lost bags don’t really get much attention,” says Lucian Ilie, a former baggage supervisor at JFK. “They just get kicked around.”

Intriguing quotes/facts from TSA:

• Of the roughly 2 billion passengers who have traveled since TSA assumed responsibility for screening in 2003, approximately 67,000 passenger loss claims have been filed to date. That is well under one hundredth of one percent, or a claim rate of 3 per 100,000 passengers.
  • Because TSA screens every bag for explosives electronically, only a very small percentage of checked bags are actually opened by TSA security officers. Bags are only opened to resolve an alarm and searches are conducted often in public areas by well-supervised security officers who work in teams. At the end of every bag search, a notice is placed in the bag indicating that TSA needed to open the bag.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Please read my post a little more thoroughly. No a lock will not stop a true thief! But the casual pilfered will be deterred. A baggage handler, no matter the location, would have very little time to break into a locked bag as compared to an unlocked one.

Also, who uses keyed luggage locks in this day and age. I personally have not seen any sold in years. Or is this just to create an argument?

Done, buh bye!

Wow, touchy today?

My point was that a locked bag might just as well, and this is my opinion only, have a red flag on it saying "valuables inside". An unlocked one says "don't waste your time on me". Anyone who travels with valuables in their bags, even locked, is asking for trouble. It is little deterrent, as others have stated. And if you have your valuables in your possession at all times, what is the point of a locked bag? This is just my opinion and we don't have to agree.

Wow, touchy today?

My point was that a locked bag might just as well, and this is my opinion only, have a red flag on it saying "valuables inside". An unlocked one says "don't waste your time on me". Anyone who travels with valuables in their bags, even locked, is asking for trouble. It is little deterrent, as others have stated. And if you have your valuables in your possession at all times, what is the point of a locked bag? This is just my opinion and we don't have to agree.

My years as a property casualty actuary tell me you're wrong. Theft is often a crime of opportunity...a thief knows time is of the essence. Guess which homes are more likely to be burglarized...ones that have an unlocked door or an open window. Just having a sign on lawn from a burglar alarm company (no alarm actually armed or even present) makes it more likely that a thief will not try to break in. Unlocked cars are more likely to be stolen than locked cars. And although unlike homes and autos we didn't keep statistics on items stolen from unlocked baggage versus locked baggage, the same reasoning applies...it's faster to attempt a theft from an unlocked bag than a locked bag.

By the way there's another reason to secure your bag with something...a lock or a zip tie. It makes it far less likely that the zipper will accidentally open, spilling your contents out of the bag when the bag is being (mis)handled at the port or airport.

I'm always amazed when I see a story on television news about a neighborhood that has suffered a rash of burglaries. Invariably the residents being interviewed will say "No one around here locks their doors. I guess we're going to have to lock them from now on." Duh...no kidding.

Edited by njhorseman

Done, buh bye!

I think I caused confusion by talking about TSA locks. I have never seen the 'key' that opens them and I wasn't sure how many different types of TSA locks there are. It would be expensive to replace an entire lock I imagine and how would you manage for the rest of your journey? I am sure you wouldn't find it easy to get a replacement lock whilst on holiday.