Drink Packages no longer include gratuity?

Bowman26

I was just checking out the latest RCCL drink package listing. The first thing I noticed was that the daily charge for the Ultimate Package which was $55 a day last year when I cruised is now $49 a day. BUT, if you read the fine print under the rates you will see it says

"* Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. * Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. Prices for Europe,

* Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. Prices for Europe,

Australia/New Zealand, Dubai and South America itineraries vary and are inclusive of gratuities."

So I take it the policy has changed in the past year. You save a few dollars but end up paying the 15% gratuity per drink anyway. I wonder if you have to sign a ticket each time you get a drink as well? I know I loved NOT having to do that last year. I also tipped good bartenders and servers extra cash.

From what I understand after talking to some bartenders last year is that the employees weren't happy with how the Drink Package included tips were totaled and split among all the bartenders and wait staff so they did not get it directly using the package and it probably cut into their pay. Which I can understand and sympathize with. But if I have to pay 15% now I won't be tipping cash like I was except to the most deserving workers that make the best drinks and give the best service to insure I get the good service I want.

Has anyone gotten the drink pack in the past few months that can verify that tips are indeed added to your on ship card for each purchase and you pay for them at the end? And do you now have to sign a ticket for every drink again? Oh and can you use your cabin OBC to go towards the Package price? I didn't have one to use last year.

I also had a friend just get off a Carnival Cruise where he said they limited the "Unlimited Drink Package" to 15 drinks a day. Has RCCL done anything like this as well? I can't find anything saying they limit the # per day allowed.

Seems Cell Phone companies and now Cruise lines need to look up the definition of UNLIMITED!

Thanks for the replies. I'm cruising over Christmas again this year!

Bo

Edited by Bowman26

I was just checking out the latest RCCL drink package listing. The first thing I noticed was that the daily charge for the Ultimate Package which was $55 a day last year when I cruised is now $49 a day. BUT, if you read the fine print under the rates you will see it says

"* Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. * Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. Prices for Europe,

* Prices shown for Caribbean, Alaska, and North America itineraries; gratuities are additional. Prices for Europe,

Australia/New Zealand, Dubai and South America itineraries vary and are inclusive of gratuities."

So I take it the policy has changed in the past year. You save a few dollars but end up paying the 15% gratuity per drink anyway. I wonder if you have to sign a ticket each time you get a drink as well? I know I loved NOT having to do that last year. I also tipped good bartenders and servers extra cash.

From what I understand after talking to some bartenders last year is that the employees weren't happy with how the Drink Package included tips were totaled and split among all the bartenders and wait staff so they did not get it directly using the package and it probably cut into their pay. Which I can understand and sympathize with. But if I have to pay 15% now I won't be tipping cash like I was except to the most deserving workers that make the best drinks and give the best service to insure I get the good service I want.

Has anyone gotten the drink pack in the past few months that can verify that tips are indeed added to your on ship card for each purchase and you pay for them at the end? And do you now have to sign a ticket for every drink again?

I also had a friend just get off a Carnival Cruise where he said they limited the "Unlimited Drink Package" to 15 drinks a day. Has RCCL done anything like this as well? I can't find anything saying they limit the # per day allowed.

Seems Cell Phone companies and now Cruise lines need to look up the definition of UNLIMITED!

Bo

The 15% gratuity is added on at check out. $49.00 + 15% = $56.35 per day for the premium package. There are no further gratuities added on per drink.

There is no limit on the amount of drinks per day.

The 15% gratuity is added on at check out. $49.00 + 15% = $56.35 per day for the premium package. There are no further gratuities added on per drink.

There is no limit on the amount of drinks per day.

Thank you very much for the details! So it is just a little more than last year I guess, no big deal. Glad to know the gratuities are added upfront. Now I will need another stack of singles to tip though but that is okay, gets the bartenders and waitresses etc on speed dial when they see you :D

And no drink limit is great. I know lots of people think Ohhh how will I ever drink that much etc but it isn't hard to reach the $55 everyday. Plus you don't have to get alcohol in your fruity drinks if you just want the flavor without the buzz, those cost a pretty penny as well if you get it without a package.

They must have just restructured the way they bill for it from last year, to confuse us of course lol.

Bo

Edited by Bowman26

Yes you can use OBC to pay for the drinks package, if you wait until you board to purchase it. They will have tables set up on boarding day or you can also go to any bar.

As far as signing slips for each drink, this has always varied across different ships and even different bars within the same ship. No real way of telling whether you will get a slip or not.

I was just checking out the latest RCCL drink package listing. The first thing I noticed was that the daily charge for the Ultimate Package which was $55 a day last year when I cruised is now $49 a day.

Actually, I think you are mistaken about the prices of the RCCL drink packages changing at all. I just checked their web site, and the cost of the Ultimate beverage package is still shown as $55 a day. The less-inclusive Premium package is the one that lists at $49 a day. I believe these are the same prices that my son and his girlfriend paid during their cruise back in June of this year, but I am not 100% certain whether or not those listed prices already included the 15% gratuity fee or not for them. I suspect, however, that they did not, and an additional 15% fee was tacked on for them, even back in June.

when I put the drink package into my cart there is a link to additional terms (see below) which says gratuities are included

Prices subject to change without notice. Not all selections available on all sailings. Alternate selection of equal value may be substituted.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: *Prices subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, are not transferable. Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. When ordering a beverage selection onboard, you must present your SeaPass card bearing the package sticker to your server. Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, mini bar items, Evian water, canned sodas, bottled juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages. Upon arriving to the ship, please visit the Alcohol display table at the ships Expo, check your Cruise Compass or ask your dining room waiter for more information. Package is subject to the terms of Royal Caribbean International's Alcohol Policy. Beverage Packages must be pre-reserved a minimum of 4 days before your sail date. If you are within the cut off time, please visit a beverage table on the first day of your cruise to complete your purchase. Please note that orders cannot be modified once they have been purchased. To change an order, you will need to first cancel the existing order and then make a new purchased for your desired beverage package. Prices are subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, and are not transferable. Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. When ordering your beverage selection onboard, you must show your SeaPass card with the package sticker to your server.

For every drink received on the drink package they swipe you card, for inventory purposes I would assume, and hand you a receipt that you can add a tip to, if you desire. The signed slips of paper that do not have a tip added, are than tossed away, and the ones with a tip, are kept and added into the POS system to charge you.

Basically, I feel the only reason for the receipt is to please their employees. I also think for the change in price not to include the tip is based on the "confusion and feedback" that is caused by not exactly spelling out the amount of tip etc. From a customer viewpoint, I think it is better to see an itemized invoice - product + tip than to have it hidden.

Personally, I want my cruise to be all inclusive, so I like prepaying for everything prior, including all tips and drinks.

We buy it and I think its RCI's way of making you think its cheaper.

Enjoy

CHEERS:D

Sea Ya

I actual think it's RCI's way to secretly increase prices as they could have removed the gratuity to lower the price but keep the end price instead. In reality, most of the drink packages actually went up in price even though the advertised price is lower. Starting to look like the shady practices the airlines have gotten into with lower upfront pricing.

Question... If you purchase the package in advance but then they (not likely but just in case) drop the price, do they refund the difference? Or do you just keep what you had at the price you paid?

I'm trying to decide if I'm better off getting it beforehand or when I get on board. (The advantage to getting it in advance being that it's paid for, so I don't have to budget for it.)

We always buy ours ahead of time this way it's all done they put your sticker on at check in so when you board your all ready to grab a drink. Unless we're using our obc to pay for it then you have to do it when you board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bo

The definition they need to look up is Gratuity.

I really wish they would change the name to "service charge" or just include it in the prices. (On everything with the cruise)

:)

Has anyone gotten the drink pack in the past few months that can verify that tips are indeed added to your on ship card for each purchase and you pay for them at the end? And do you now have to sign a ticket for every drink again? Oh and can you use your cabin OBC to go towards the Package price? I didn't have one to use last year.

That's not how it works, and the reasoning is a good deal less nefarious. The 15% gratuity is added to the price at the purchase of the package, regardless of whether you do it on board or beforehand. The reason for doing it this way really revolves around tax issues. See, the beverage packages are taxed, in several places, especially when the package is bought onboard, but prior to actually sailing. Texas and Europe sailings come to mind. The taxes pop another 15% onto the price in Europe, and a little less in Texas. HOWEVER, the gratuity portion is NOT taxable. So in order for the accounting to make any sense, they have to split the gratuity away from the actual price and charge you for it after any taxes have been applied to the prices, so they stop including the gratuities in the quoted prices.

Once you're aboard, though, the 15% has already been paid, and you're presented with (if anything) a slip to sign for $0.00, to which you can add additional tip, or just toss a cash on top of.

I always get the drink package just got off the allure 2 weeks ago it's $55 a day that includes the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I was glad to see the above post, and took it to be the definitive answer concerning the end price of the Ultimate drink package, but then according to Hellsop, in post #18, the 15% gratuity fee is still added on to this prices. So, which is really true? Anyone?

Ok, I was glad to see the above post, and took it to be the definitive answer concerning the end price of the Ultimate drink package, but then according to Hellsop, in post #18, the 15% gratuity fee is still added on to this prices. So, which is really true? Anyone?

The gratuity is added on.

Yes you can use OBC to pay for the drinks package, if you wait until you board to purchase it. They will have tables set up on boarding day or you can also go to any bar.

As far as signing slips for each drink, this has always varied across different ships and even different bars within the same ship. No real way of telling whether you will get a slip or not.

Is it true if you wait until you sail into international waters, you will not pay tax for shore excursions or drink packages?

Just off our 2nd with the package. Both on Brilliance and Independence, we had to beg for a slip to give a tip. I think the employees are just used to people not tipping extra so it is just easier to swipe and hand it back. While the tips are added when paying for the package, I understand they are pooled. An extra $1 when being served certainly gets you better service and they seem to really, really appreciate it. On our first, I commented how sad it was we couldn't get a slip to give an extra tip. The bartender got us a slip and we got fantastic service. His partner we found on Independence. She actually remembered us AND our names even though it has been more than a year and two different ships! Well worth the extra buck here and there! And no rationing of drinks like Carnival. I'm sure they will shut you off if need be but we never saw any obviously intoxicated people.

Is it true if you wait until you sail into international waters, you will not pay tax for shore excursions or drink packages?

The prices do not change - from memory I don't think tax is charged anyway. You may be confusing this with a rule where certain alcohol cannot be served until you reach international waters when departing from Texas

Tax is not added to drink packages. If you purchase individual drinks you pay the State sales tax prior to leaving the home port.

Just off our 2nd with the package. Both on Brilliance and Independence, we had to beg for a slip to give a tip. I think the employees are just used to people not tipping extra so it is just easier to swipe and hand it back. While the tips are added when paying for the package, I understand they are pooled. An extra $1 when being served certainly gets you better service and they seem to really, really appreciate it. On our first, I commented how sad it was we couldn't get a slip to give an extra tip. The bartender got us a slip and we got fantastic service. His partner we found on Independence. She actually remembered us AND our names even though it has been more than a year and two different ships! Well worth the extra buck here and there! And no rationing of drinks like Carnival. I'm sure they will shut you off if need be but we never saw any obviously intoxicated people.

You are right, we've had the package twice and more often than not didn't get the receipt. I also agree with you that even with an extra couple of dollars, they make sure to provide best service. I had one bartender go down to the stockroom, get Bloody Mary mix and find me to tell me he actually now had and could actually fix me one.