Am I a cheapskate?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for next fall. We will be traveling with our 3 year old and 1 year old. We researched different cruise lines and dates to find a cruise within our budget. We are also driving, rather than flying, all the way from Ohio to save money. I have cruised before (before I had kids), so I know how the gratuity works on a cruise, but I found out our gratuity will be $84 per person, totaling $336. I thought that seemed high for a 3 year old, who won't eat much, and a 1 year old, who will hardly eat anything. The RC rep said that we are able to adjust the 3 year old and 1 year old's gratuity. Should I, or would that make me a cheapskate? Has anyone ever done this, and if so, what do you think would be considered fair? Thanks!

Sorry, not wanting to be mean, but I do think that makes you a cheapskate! :o

Your 3 year old & one year old will create work for the cabin attendant, extra linens, trash, (what are you going to do with those dirty diapers?) etc. The wait staff will be bringing some food to your children, or cleaning up after them in the MDR, WJ, etc. So, yeah, I would pay the full amount. We did with our grandsons when they were that size without even thinking about it.

However, it is possible to remove the gratuities and/or reduce the amount if you choose.

Sherri:)

The gratuity is based on $12/Day X's number of days of cruise, so the $84 PP is right. This goes toward paying the crew. If RC rep said they could adjust the 1 & 3 yr old that will be good. Many families travel with children so wonder how they adjust especially with infants. The crew work hard in cleaning etc and rely on our gratuities and extra tips.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Yes, since you asked, that would make you a cheapskate. The servers and room stewards definitely work much harder for infants and toddlers than they do for adults. You mentioned they don't eat much - not sure why you think that would matter to the crew that are cleaning up after them. They will still be using towels and bedding, oh, and the poor room steward will also need to deal with stinky diapers unless you are bringing cloth ones and plan to wash them yourself.

Regardless of what the rep told you (and believe me they are often wrong), these crew members rely on tips as a large part of their income. Stiffing those who work so hard for you is definitely poor form - and yes, they know who removes tips.

I would keep the gratuity as is.

You may feel that your children being so young do not use all the services that the tipping covers............but................it does cover all the services you use and do not see.

Try to keep it.

Sea Ya

I won't go into the standard "the crew makes so little already" argument, I'll just ask this... Are there any parents out there who failed to see an increase in loads of laundry, meal preparation time, cleaning, and all other general household chores once they added babies, infants and children to their household? I don't know why people think that because they have small children that turns into less work for the crew.

Yes I think this is probably you being a cheapskate, but I'm sure that probably doesn't really matter to you so adjust the gratuities as you see fit, though I'm hoping you'll give some more thought into this and recognize how much is actually being done by the crew to enhance your vacation.

Edited by curlygirl18

I took my son in March when he was 2. They were great to my son! Our waiter knew he loved fruit so he had it waiting for him every night at dinner and a high chair. They went out of their way to play/talk to all of my kids and make them feel welcomed! We took the diaper bags to put dirty diapers in and when we would leave the room our room steward would go empty the trash. They worked hard for those tips, and we tipped extra for how amazing they were!

I see where your initial thought came from but I think you should give the full amount. My husband and I are cruising in May and we will certainly create far less mess then if we have our children along. Your children's cruise price will reflect their age and how much food they will eat.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for next fall. We will be traveling with our 3 year old and 1 year old. We researched different cruise lines and dates to find a cruise within our budget. We are also driving, rather than flying, all the way from Ohio to save money. I have cruised before (before I had kids), so I know how the gratuity works on a cruise, but I found out our gratuity will be $84 per person, totaling $336. I thought that seemed high for a 3 year old, who won't eat much, and a 1 year old, who will hardly eat anything. The RC rep said that we are able to adjust the 3 year old and 1 year old's gratuity. Should I, or would that make me a cheapskate? Has anyone ever done this, and if so, what do you think would be considered fair? Thanks!

Posting a title like that is just asking for people to jump on you!

Do whatever you feel is right. The cruise line told you your options. Wait and see how the service is. 99% of people on this forum will call you a cheapskate or something nasty though.

Well said!

Each body/soul onboard requires service...and your kids are no exception. Here's the thing...no one knows how much, or even, IF you tip. Except, of course, those who serve you. And, your own conscience.

Your tips are for SERVICE, not based on the price of food....

Edited by cb at sea

We traveled and cruised with the kids when they were young, and always paid extra tips, since my kids were very messy... BUT, I still believe, that you have the right to do what you want when it comes to tipping, so go ahead, and do what works for you and your family!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I agree with LMaxwell. My kids weren't that young when we started cruising so I don't know how I'd feel. That said, as long as they're calling it a gratuity, give what you think is fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do whatever you feel is right. The cruise line told you your options. Wait and see how the service is. 99% of people on this forum will call you a cheapskate or something nasty though.

I agree with LMaxwell. My kids weren't that young when we started cruising so I don't know how I'd feel. That said, as long as they're calling it a gratuity, give what you think is fair.

I agree with LMaxwell and Big-G. Take the cruise line up on their options and if you feel that the actual service warrants something more tip the crew extra afterwards if you like.

And No, you are not being a cheapskate, You're being frugal and wise with your family's money. I'm just finishing putting our third son through College. I wish I was as frugal as you when I was your age.;)

You are not being a 'cheapskate' and only trying to rationalize about a purchase which would be normal consumer behavior.

Many here have made very good points regarding the charging of gratuities for infants and children. This should add a certain 'fairness' perspective to why the additional cost on this particular type of vacation is appropriate.

I would only add that I have often seen crew go well out of their way for small children to enhance their cruise experience.

While I as a solo traveler always add additional gratuity for the great service I receive on cruise ships, you could more easily rationalize not leaving extra gratuity for this personal attention given to your children, but realize that you have already left a sufficient gratuity.

I am surprised it took so long in this thread for the anti-tipping cheapskates to show their flag. Must be a slow morning on cruise critic.

For me, with kids that young, I would probably tip EXTRA, assuming good service. So you are telling me your chores around the house (laundry, linens, trash, kitchen clean up, ECT) did not increase when you had kids? Your kids could eat nothing all week and the work would still be increased.

If you want to be frugal, that is fine, no problem there, but do not be frugal on the backs of the crew. Try a different form of vacation. I did not start cruising till my girls were almost 6 because I could not afford it, and I would not take a vacation by screwing those who take good care of me.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi everyone,

Glad you will take care of wait staff!!

I would also suggest that you might consider not just what they eat, but the attention they get. A person will take time to interact with, whether it is directly or through you which actually might take longer.

Wait staff works hard. Your wait staff not only works MDR, but buffet and other venues at times, so whether you utilize your specific waiter, I am sure you utilize wait staff all over the ship.

Edited by shipshape sam

I must say some people just amaze me on the way they respond, telling people they should not cruise or find another vacation because they can not afford it because they ask a question about tipping. A 1 yr old is not going to make more work for someone in the dinning room if you really think that then you are sadly mistaking.