Major Diappointment

PENGUIN67

I have cruised about 25 times on various lines over the years, from small to large ships. The Regatta cruise to the Amazon last month was our first time with Oceania, and I had high expectations, given their claims of being a cut above the herd. So, we paid the comparatively higher price, anticipating better service than other lines. That was NOT the case, and many service aspects were below par. I know that one cannot grade any company based on a single sailing, but I will strike Oceania from my future cruise suppliers.

I have cruised about 25 times on various lines over the years, from small to large ships. The Regatta cruise to the Amazon last month was our first time with Oceania, and I had high expectations, given their claims of being a cut above the herd. So, we paid the comparatively higher price, anticipating better service than other lines. That was NOT the case, and many service aspects were below par. I know that one cannot grade any company based on a single sailing, but I will strike Oceania from my future cruise suppliers.

Yes, well as I often tell others who ask about Oceania, if you ARE reasonably happy with the food and service on the mass market lines, you'd be crazy to pay Oceania's prices.

No one Cruise Line could possibly please everyone, just as neither the Olive Garden nor Daniel would please each others patrons.

Judging from the posts on the Mass Market Message Boards, however, you're in the distinct minority....

I met a lady on our recent Insignia cruise that was disappointed that there were no professional photographers on board. I tried to explain to her that that is one of the draws of Oceania with most of their regulars. She still didn't like it.

I see, after reading posts from your RollCall , that you are the only one who was disappointed, in fact, your CC members seemed surprised :confused:. one poster stating that the cruise 'exceeded their expectations'. Could you tell us what it was, that did not meet your expectations.

You cannot please everyone. Penguin67's profile says he is a longstanding Princess aficionado. Oceania is considerably more expensive and he did not feel he got his money's worth. It's his right to vote with his feet. Zero specifics, however. That and the overwhelming positive reviews of other cruisers leads me to treat this negative post as an outlier.

Adios.

Edited by JPR

would you please elaborate as to the problems encountered:confused:

Penguin67's profile says he is a longstanding Princess aficionado.

That one could be a longstanding Princess anything makes me feel very old.

Italia_02.jpgprincessitalia1.jpeg

I remember their very first true cruise ship. the Italia. Twelve thousand tons, barely one third the size of an R ship.

She eventually wound up with Ocean Cruise Line.....talk about "six degrees of Oceania". :rolleyes:

Edited by StanandJim

It has been over 30 yrs. that we have been on a mass market cruise.

The other day I was pointing out to my wife that the new Quantum of the seas had bumper cars, a boom to put people up 300' in the air, and a sky diving simulator.

She pointed out to me that we had elevators! :)

I will take the elevators....

Edited by smilin jack

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We cruised Oceania 10 years ago, and then just last month. Was I disappointed? Not really..but was the value there...not really. The vista suite was nice, and the MDR food was very good. I am not sure it was luxury. It was not worth the price.

So , having cruised on all of the luxury lines, Oceania was not as good as Regent, or Seaborn, but it was fine.

Would I go back? We doubt it.

My signature line below pretty much tells our story. After 4 times on HAL, one of them a TA, we tried Oceania this year and aren't looking back. We found Riviera a delightful experience and very much enjoyed the lack of nickel and dimeing that is the case on mainstream lines, the lack of pushy photographers, and of course the food and service, which didn't disappoint. And quite honestly, when everything is factored-in, between air fare and included non-alcoholic beverages, we didn't find the cost all that much more. We're happy with a standard verandah cabin, entertainment isn't a big deal for us. O's excursions are pricey, but we like the security of the ship's tours, and as a percent of the overall cost never struck us as that big an issue. We came to know the staff who assisted us at a more personal level than on HAL, they were unfailingly accommodating, and added to our overall experience. Everyone's mileage is different, but we have really fallen for Oceania after our first experience. Looking forward to the experience on an R ship this Spring.

We have never cruised Oceania but I am watching this thread as we have been having a discussion about whether it is worth the extra money. What makes it enticing is the itinerary that the larger lines do not have.

No need to follow this thread, unless the OP retracts "rude" and comes back with details.

Is O worth the 'extra' money... not a doubt in the world.

From my perspective, I have sliced and diced the numbers against comparable cruises on mass market...and O always wins with value.

Personally, the upper suites are not a value to me and warrant a separate discussion... but for cruising in a standard cabin... you cannot beat O for what they deliver in value and service.

I am a believer. :cool:

Edited by computerworks

Please post a more detailed review.... You can also post a formal review in review section of cruise critic.

Ignore the cheerleaders -- they are rude. You have every right to complain and post your opinion.

We are giving O a second chance next week. I was really disappointed in the food quality in the specialty restaurants on our last Nautica cruise...

Most of us, on this forum, are cheerleaders for Oceania, and believe they do a great job. I know I certainly do! However, you can't please all the people all the time. I wish the OP the best of cruising on whatever other line they choose to sail.

Just do us the favor that if something particularly found your disfavor, share it with us, or don't waste the ink. Drive byes shouldn't have gotten the amount of response it already has, imo.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We cruised Oceania 10 years ago, and then just last month. Was I disappointed? Not really..but was the value there...not really. The vista suite was nice, and the MDR food was very good. I am not sure it was luxury. It was not worth the price.

So , having cruised on all of the luxury lines, Oceania was not as good as Regent, or Seaborn, but it was fine.

Would I go back? We doubt it.

And I think here is part of the problem people have. Oceania really isn't a Luxury line, as much as some people think it is. It's a Premium line, above Celebrity, Princess, Hal etc. but still a step below Regent, Seaborn, Silversea, Crystal etc., not necessarily in all aspects but many things, including the way you're smoozed.

Yes, it's much more expensive than the Mass Market ships (I personally don't agree with those marketing comparison charts that show them comparable. I've got recent experience going on both and know the difference) but they're no where near expensive as the "luxury" lines.

I've never compared Oceania to either, because it's in a class by itself.

I feel unrealistic expectations are what creates these situations.

"Personally, the upper suites are not a value to me and warrant a separate discussion... but for cruising in a standard cabin... you cannot beat O for what they deliver in value and service. "...

Computerworks...I agree and like Concierge mid ship balcony cabins. We own 3 multi-millions dollar homes and buy for location location. Having the biggest house on the block is most often not the best return on your investment. I would rather spend the savings at Hermes in Rome airport and enjoy it for years to come. O is just perfect for us.

I too would like to hear specifics. People who are fans of one line tend to get perks associated with their loyalty. Sometimes those perks are sorely missed when moving to another line.

I've never cruised a mass market line, but it's tough for me to imagine Princess living up to Oceania. But then I've never been on Regatta.

And I think here is part of the problem people have. Oceania really isn't a Luxury line, as much as some people think it is. It's a Premium line, above Celebrity, Princess, Hal etc. but still a step below Regent, Seaborn, Silversea, Crystal etc., not necessarily in all aspects but many things, including the way you're smoozed.

Yes, it's much more expensive than the Mass Market ships (I personally don't agree with those marketing comparison charts that show them comparable. I've got recent experience going on both and know the difference) but they're no where near expensive as the "luxury" lines.

I've never compared Oceania to either, because it's in a class by itself.

I feel unrealistic expectations are what creates these situations.

It's my understanding that Oceania is a premium cruise line, and the OP characterized it as a "cut above the herd" which matches up to premium in my book. So would it be comparable to Azamara (albeit with a much larger fleet)?

We are new to cruising, portofino, our first voyage next month aboard Regent's Navigator. Second cruise November 2015 on Silver Whisper, Amazon. Our third cruise (booked so far) aboard Azamara Quest bound for the Norwegian Fjords. I have been eyeing Oceania.

Salient criteria for us are availability of larger suites, itineraries on the medium size / smallish ships. For that reason, humongous cruise ships offering exclusive enclaves currently are not of interest.

Edited by OctoberKat

I too would like to hear specifics. People who are fans of one line tend to get perks associated with their loyalty. Sometimes those perks are sorely missed when moving to another line.

I've never cruised a mass market line, but it's tough for me to imagine Princess living up to Oceania. But then I've never been on Regatta.

We've cruised on RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Oceania and many Regent.

We like the demographics of the Oceania passengers, the food, the size of the ship; We'd probably not ever book the others unless it was some special Itinerary again. As much as we have loved Regent, their all inclusive is not worth it for us and the value we felt that matched everything else is gone. We spent 28 days on the Riviera in the last year and we'd do that again if we could find the itinerary that suited us.

I'm very late in getting back to OP's comments, which is my bad. But I specifically wanted to comment on the Amazon cruise -- not because I've taken it but because I know a few who have.

First of all, we all have the right not to be over-the-top about Oceania, just because those of us who are regulars ARE. No cruiseline is going to satisfy everybody. (I heard a TV commercial today that said that Royal Caribbean has been rated #1 for years ... I don't know the source of the survey (!) but I certainly would never be one to agree with the results. That doesn't mean there are many others who do.)

A couple we met on the Norway cruise on Insignia in the summer of 2010 were regulars on O, and always booked a VS. They were very disappointed with the Amazon cruise that they took within the next year. I don't remember what their complaints were, but they stopped cruising with O because they weren't happy to O's reactions to their complaints.

I don't know the merits of their complaints or of O's reaction (or non-reaction). But O DID lose two regular passengers who paid a lot for their accommodations and were so dissatisfied with O's reaction that they swore never to sail on O again, and as far as I know they have not.

Beyond that, I have seen some other comments from people who were not happy with the Amazon itinerary in general. (We had booked the first time this itinerary was offered in 2005 but had to cancel, and after seeing some of the disappointed comments, we've decided not to do this one.)

I cannot address OP's disappointment with SERVICE on Regatta -- first, because we don't have specifics, second because we've never been anything but delighted with service on any of the ships. (Riviera is the only ship we haven't been on to date.) But if O isn't a good fit for them, then they shouldn't consider returning. They have that right.

Mura