Prescription Bottles

Travelw

Okay, I'm coming from the medical standpoint. I was 20 years in the U.S. Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. I can NOT tell you how many times I have responded to a medical emergency to find a pill box full of 'medications'. No identifying items. No prescription. Nothing. Medical care is delayed until we can determine the medication that the patient is on. Sometimes, if the medication is generic, that delay can be an hour or more.

Today's labels contain the description of the medication, including color, markings, size, and shape. With the name of the medication, patient's name, pharmacy and provider's name, dose, and frequency, any medical team can immediately know what the patient is taking, and adjust treatment as necessary.

Most pharmacies are more than happy to provide a small bottle or baggie with the same label for travel.

Pill boxes and daily pill sorters have their place. In my brain, they should NEVER be used for medications. Jewelry? Fine. Make-up? No problem. Medication that can't be readily identified? Um, not the best idea in the universe.

Very good points.

I have a list, pictures of the labels and a medical alert notification. I will not take those bottles.

That's a good start. Here's some more things to take into consideration:

Do you print out the photos of the labels or are they on your camera? In a medical emergency, would the response team know to look on your camera?

If you take the photos with your phone, is it password protected? And, again, would the medical team know to look there?

Does your medical alert program notify outside of the country? Some do, but some charge an additional premium for that service. Best to check ahead of time.

I know I might sound like the voice of doom, but these are things to consider if you are on medication and travel. :)

You do not need to take the original bottles, but I do put a list of my prescriptions and strengths in with the ziplock I carry them in. I buy tiny ziploc baggies that are used for crafts and put together my morning and evening pills and then put all the tiny baggies into a larger ziploc bag. So nice to just take out a baggy and have all pills ready to take.

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like?

Most, if not all, bottles give a description of the pill. I bring a pharmacy copy of my medicines, especially controlled substances, but not all of the bottles.

We were able to replace some stolen items at the pharmacy in the Milano train station without prescriptions (not narcotics). Apparently European pharmacists have more leeway to make a judgment call.

Steve

Okay, I'm coming from the medical standpoint. I was 20 years in the U.S. Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. I can NOT tell you how many times I have responded to a medical emergency to find a pill box full of 'medications'. No identifying items. No prescription. Nothing. Medical care is delayed until we can determine the medication that the patient is on. Sometimes, if the medication is generic, that delay can be an hour or more.

That is great if the medical emergency occurs while one has all their medications with them.

Except for traveling to/from the cruise, a medical emergency anywhere outside of the cabin would not have the medicines or bottles immediately available for emergency responders to look at.

Meal time might be an exception, but I suspect very few people carry the prescription bottles with them to the meal. And if they did, it would likely be for only some of that person's prescriptions.

Except for emergency medications (inhalers, etc.), nobody is walking around with all their medications.

Today's labels contain the description of the medication, including color, markings, size, and shape. With the name of the medication, patient's name, pharmacy and provider's name, dose, and frequency, any medical team can immediately know what the patient is taking, and adjust treatment as necessary.

Most pharmacies are more than happy to provide a small bottle or baggie with the same label for travel.

Pill boxes and daily pill sorters have their place. In my brain, they should NEVER be used for medications. Jewelry? Fine. Make-up? No problem. Medication that can't be readily identified? Um, not the best idea in the universe.

Most people don't carry their medications with them when running errands at home so in a medical emergency how would you even know they take medication? Do you delay treatment until you contact someone who knows what medications they may be taking? My DH does carry a list with him at all times that shows the medication, dosage and how many times a day he takes it. To me that's better than having a bunch of prescription bottles with you. I certainly hope that emergency personnel would know to look in someones wallet for identification and would find the bright yellow medication list.

Thank you very much.

I like insurance, so I take the original bottles of any medication I take including panadol. : )

And yes, I have had my medications checked.

Italy is one of those countries that have lots of restrictions on importing medications.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I take the original bottles of oral medication (8 bottles) and two injectable medications that need to be kept cold so I use a travel bag that especially made for that (husband carries when we go through airport).

Some of my medications look very similar so it helps me as well to have the labeled bottles with me.

On our last flight to Florida I couldn't take my carry on with me and so I had to grab my two large (gallon size) baggies out of my suitcase to go with me on the plane as they told us my carry on would be checked as regular baggage. Well that irritated me to say the least when I finally got on the plane and there was plenty of room in the overhead compartment. Because I had to take my medication out for everyone to see, I of course had to explain to the man sitting next to me why so much. :o

BTW my DH is retired HM too.

To each his own, but yes I always take my labeled prescription medications with me. I also use the weekly compartment case too when I travel.

Most people don't carry their medications with them when running errands at home so in a medical emergency how would you even know they take medication? Do you delay treatment until you contact someone who knows what medications they may be taking? My DH does carry a list with him at all times that shows the medication, dosage and how many times a day he takes it. To me that's better than having a bunch of prescription bottles with you. I certainly hope that emergency personnel would know to look in someones wallet for identification and would find the bright yellow medication list.

I probably over do it. But not only do I take my original bottles with me I also have an medical alert bracelet with a list AND a paper list in my purse. IF something does happen to me I want to make sure the medical team knows all that I take in case I am unable to answer those questions. :D

guide book thats very accurate

Better then carrying a "baggie" or day box of unknown pills.

Best to have the original bottle. They have a quick reference guide book thats very accurate in identifying pills.

Chances of having a problem are slim but you just may be trying to catch that flight when they start looking alot closer then usual.

There are ways around everything. Example: Cruisers with rum runners might attest to that.

I expect Europe and any non US country customs to be more strict than the US regarding meds.

There are ways around everything. Example: Cruisers with rum runners might attest to that.

I expect Europe and any non US country customs to be more strict than the US regarding meds.

Really?? Rumrunners versus prescriptions??

Why would you hide legal drugs?? To try and get around it??

Unless you are dealing and trying to hide your stash.

We are talking about a time saving way to carry your legal prescriptions in case you are questioned about them.

I probably over do it. But not only do I take my original bottles with me I also have an medical alert bracelet with a list AND a paper list in my purse. IF something does happen to me I want to make sure the medical team knows all that I take in case I am unable to answer those questions. :D

Yes so do I. Medical alert. It is not that uncommon and it is not over the top. It is sensible. :)

Edited by paddingtonbear

• 3 months later...

With the understanding that a "back panel" list of your Rx meds, provided by your pharmacist (and containing all the appropriate info), is all the "labeling" you actually need when traveling, there still remains the best way to contain those meds.

Here's a different approach: pillpack.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone this route.

I have never been questioned on my pills, even when we went to Europe.

I have taken many cruises and never questioned. I do however take a copy

of my Express Scripts page which indicates all of my medicines that I take.

I bought these little plastic bags especially for pills @ Walgreen's. There is place

to write in front of them. I write on them a.m. and p.m. that's when I take these

pills. Hope this helps

Thanks

With the understanding that a "back panel" list of your Rx meds, provided by your pharmacist (and containing all the appropriate info), is all the "labeling" you actually need when traveling, there still remains the best way to contain those meds.

Here's a different approach: pillpack.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone this route.

Very interesting but it looks a bit bulky and you get a shipment every two weeks. I buy most (but not all) of my meds via PrimeMail and get them in a 90 day supply. The pre-packaged daily doses would be fantastic for travel though. I too would be interested to hear if anybody here gets their meds via the pillpack.com route.

Most medications in Europe are issued in patient ready packs. Blister packs. So bottle of pills here just don't exist - witht he exception maybe of multi vitamins, but even those mostly these days come in blister packs. Makes identifying which pills are what very much easier.

From the standpoint of informing medical personnel what meds you are taking, the "back panel" method works.

For satisfying customs and immigration in some countries that would not work because they want proof that the meds are for you, not just meds you are trying to illegally bring into the country.

But unless you carry the "back panel" information or pill bottles with you every time you are off the ship, emergency personnel will still not know what meds you are taking if you have a medical emergency on shore.

Very interesting but it looks a bit bulky and you get a shipment every two weeks. I buy most (but not all) of my meds via PrimeMail and get them in a 90 day supply. The pre-packaged daily doses would be fantastic for travel though. I too would be interested to hear if anybody here gets their meds via the pillpack.com route.

Wouldn't work for me. But, I put it out there for folks to look at. Might work for someone.

I'll stick with daily dose box and "back panel" for Rx proof and emergency record.

I take the full bottles for my prescriptions. My reasoning is very simple: It makes my wife happy. :D She's very paranoid about me taking my meds along without the bottles so, even though I find it a pain in the butt, I take the bottles. It's worth a bit of hassle to make her happy.

But unless you carry the "back panel" information or pill bottles with you every time you are off the ship, emergency personnel will still not know what meds you are taking if you have a medical emergency on shore.

This.

We have a screen capture of our listing of diagnoses, medications and dosages as the first photo in our Camera Roll on our iPhones. The phones are ALWAYS with us when we're off the ship. The only med we use where we take the bottle is the one controlled substance DH takes. I really don't think my asthma meds would raise a red flag in any country.

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."

On my medication bottles there is also a description of what the pill color and shape is.

We started out taking the 7-day pill packs, but found that to be too bulky when your traveling for more than 2 weeks or so.

Now we use the small plastic bags (you can get them at any office supply or handicraft store, they are used for coin collectors also) They come in packs of 100. After we sort out all our pills for each day, we put them into the small plastic bags and then into sandwich size bags marked "morning" or "night" and always have them in our carryons.

We've never been questioned by TSA or Customs.

We also carry a list of the medications and instructions from the pharmacy.

We usually take double our pills. I know it is overkill but I always do it. In my backpack I have a supply of our meds for the entire trip in the four week planners in a ziplock bag (I put mine in one half and his in the other so we can double check that we took them (doctors have started asking if we ever forget to take them - oh hell - does that mean we are getting old?!!!) and I take along the little info cards they send home with each superscription. I have dh carry a supply in the original bottles in his backpack and again in a ziplock bag. We have never lost any but you never know and I would rather carry extra because I doubt the ship carries some of them. What do you do when there are 8 sea days and you have no way to get more? And we have never had any questions at customs or immigration.

A couple months ago a women came on the plane with her purse stuffed with things. She was going to sit across from me and somehow she dropped her purse. No zipper so everything went rolling down the aisle - bottles came open and pills and candy went all over the place. I felt so sorry for her since the plane was only half boarded. I never buy a purse with out a zipper and that reinforced the reason. I hope she was on her way home and not heading out.