We are alive and on the Amsterdam 2014 Holiday Cruise

arzz

Holiday Amsterdam - Days 1 and 2

I know there is at least one other cruise critic blog on this cruise. Not to compete with the other blog, and definitely not able to compete with the quality and humor of POA1’s recent Nieuw Amsterdam blog, I will try to post my view of this cruise and not read the others until I am home. Of course, Pooh Bear Joe is not with us so it will be a lot less interesting.

We got home from our cruise on the Amsterdam (September 21 - October 18 .... Seattle to Shanghai) in November after a three week tour in China. And you know what? It was really cold at home (the Chicago area) - so what did we do about that? We booked a fourteen day cruise for the holidays.

We arrived at Port Everglades (pier 26) at about 11 am. No crowds. Gave our bags to the porters, went through security, filled out a health form and went right through the 4/5 star / suites check in line. Very rapid process. We were sent upstairs to wait. We were told that it had been a tough disembarkation since the ship had been in Panama and Colombia and customs and immigration were doing a very careful check of everyone on board. We sat until a little after 11:30 when we were allowed to board.

Once on board we went right up to our "vista suite" - a lovely holiday gift from the Upgrade Fairy! Our original booking was an outside guarantee. We have been assigned one in the row of forward suites that is listed as "shower only" but is neither handicapped or smaller than the other vista suites. We were curious and took photos that we will upload to HAL facts when we return as they have no photos of these cabins.

Entering the bath there is a normal threshold into the bathroom. The bathroom sink and toilet - just what one would expect (except, sadly, for the large crack in the surface of the sink) - and on the other side of the room there is a shower where the tub would be - not a small square shower like in the inside cabins, but a large shower stall with a small lip on the floor between it and the rest of the bathroom. It is not a roll in shower like in the handicapped cabins. We are really enjoying this as there is lots of space to shower in with no climbing in and out over the edge of a deep bathtub.

We can always recognize where our cabin is from the hallway as we are right next to the "caution" sign and bucket of water - but curiously no drips - however, today, a foot or two aft of our cabin, in the center of the hallway, the carpet is quite damp. Clearly there are some leaky pipe issues on board which also explains the two buckets collecting drips from overhead at the entrance to the dining room on deck four. The dining room manager says they have been chasing the drips for some time and they keep appearing in new spots.

The Mariner's dining room lunch was very nice and we met some folks whom we joined up with again later in the Crow's Nest.

Our luggage arrived at our room early in the afternoon so there was plenty of time to unpack before the muster drill. Not much to say about the drill - very standard stuff.

DH and I no longer quibble about storage space as we are so familiar with the ship we just unpack into our permanent locations. This time, however, there was some negotiation since the vista suites have one less closet than the standard outsides, but they do have a lot of drawers. We worked it out and are still married.

After the drill we went up to the Crows Nest for the sail away, some liquid refreshment, and joined our new friends for Pub Trivia - don't like to brag but it was a good day for us, we got the only perfect score in the room and left with a set of "on location" pins.

Dinner in the MDR was very typical first night ... Service was slow yet, in a way, frantic. Turn around days must be very hard on the staff. We will have to see how it goes tonight.

It is almost embarrassing to be back on board the same ship so soon - yet it is also wonderful. There are so many crew members who not only remember us, but remember us by name. (We do hope they remember us for the right reasons....)

The steward on board who passes the morning sweet rolls in the MDR, who always went out of his way this fall to save a cinnamon roll for DH, not only recognized us at the gangway yesterday, but this morning at breakfast we had hardly sat down before a cinnamon roll magically appeared on DH's plate. The steward had a huge smile for us. This is what makes Holland America special and why we keep returning.

Today was sunny and upper seventies and we were the only ship at Half Moon Cay. This is the way it should be on the island. Lots of beach chairs to choose from, soft sand, lovely water. We had a great time. We met several folks who hadn't really gotten the idea that we were alone on the island and were concerned about things like getting back on the right tender, and kept pointing to the Amsterdam out in the water and asking if it was the Noordam ...

I am writing this on my iPad, relaxing in a lounge chair on my balcony. Yes - I am warm and fine and happy. And my lounge chair is also really fine. When we got to our cabin yesterday we, of course, went right out on the balcony and found only one lonely chair! Yikes this would be a long cruise if we had to share the balcony furniture. DH and I were able to successfully negotiate the drawer and closet space but sharing the balcony furniture would certainly lead to divorce before the end of the cruise.

It seems that new furniture for the balconies had arrived on board - the old loungers were removed but the new ones were not yet unpacked. Today, in addition to cleaning the rooms, our very busy stewards unpacked and brought out new lounge chairs for the balconies. There were piles of torn packing materials being collected and bagged in the stairwell hallway - but there also were a lot of happy passengers.

The last tenders from Half Moon Cay are just arriving - standing room only. Sad to leave when we are having such a perfect day - a compensation for many grey, cool, windy previous stops here for us as well as the times that we just had to cruise by and not stop.

It is entirely possible that there is a slot machine calling me ... I must go.

I am happy to report not my losses at the slots (no one will ever know those - even DH) but that the bucket in the hallway has been removed ... Now how will I ever find my cabin!

Happy Holidays - aren't you the lucky ducks - and talking about ducks, we had quite a few hallway ceiling drips on Deck 10 of the Maasdam - someone said at the time that perhaps it was water that had sloshed out of the Lido pool and was following a course of least resistance! There were blowers on regularly. But I doubt that you are under a pool? I guess leaky pipes are something that is just going to happen on a moving ship.

Aw, the Caribbean for Christmas and New Years...............I know it quite well, I could be a tour guide. We have never cruised over the holidays because we would be wanting to get away from the munchkins. I guess Hal has WAY fewer children than other lines, our grandkids would feel very left out without us.........maybe one day down the road.

Enjoying your report as the China one.........love your writing, and so glad you are still married! ;)

Looking forward to your next port and also meeting you next fall. :)

December 24-25, 2014 Amsterdam Holiday Cruise

Yesterday began with a meeting with cruise critic roll call members at 8:00 am in the MDR for breakfast. This meal, rather than a standard M&G was arranged by CC member Foxpaw. The DR staff had saved three tables for us at the rear of the dining room along the back windows and we had a lovely meal well taken care of by the DR staff and sharing our time with the wonderful folks from Cruise Critic.

I should mention that DH and I owe Foxpaw lots of thanks. If it were not for him we would not have been able to vote in the 2008 presidential election. We were on the Amsterdam on the 2008 Grand Asia - the ballots would not be ready before we left and there was no dependable way for our local election commission to deliver our ballots to us during the cruise. Foxpaw was scheduled to join the second half of that cruise from Singapore to San Diego that year and he graciously volunteered to receive absentee ballots for anyone on board and carry them by hand to Singapore. We and a couple of others met him the morning the ship arrived in Singapore at his hotel, we voted and sealed our packets and then went to the U.S. embassy in Singapore. The embassy received our ballots and put them in their mail pouch for the U.S. Quite the experience.

Of course, the ship is seasonally decorated everywhere and this includes an electric menorah at the front desk. There is a Rabbi on board who conducted Hannukah candle lightings, there were Christmas masses and also Protestant services. I concluded my meal with Christmas Plum pudding.

This morning the officer of the watch reported a UFO which of course turned out to be Santa who landed on the Sports Deck and made his way down to the show lounge. Those who attended the morning's Christmas program were then entertained by a video showing Santa running all over the ship (like the spa where he received a haircut and pedicure) before finding his way to the show lounge. We heard that this program was very entertaining. We were busy vegging on the veranda.

I need to state now that we do not often frequent the shows and, as of today, Christmas Day, we have kept to our personal standard and not gone to a show yet. If we get the urge this will change.

Tonight will be a Christmas show with flautist Nestor Torres. Last night the show was was a comedian followed at 11 pm by a Christmas concert performed by many of the HAL staff. To prepare for the concert the staff gave up their first hour of free time each night for about two weeks. We hear that the concert was wonderful. Again this is what HAL is all about.

The piano bar is staffed by "John" - each time I walk through in the evenings he is playing some tune that I recognize and wish to join. Our cruise director is Carlos, our show host is Nick. There are Neptunes playing dance tunes in the Ocean Bar, Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge and solo guitarist David in the Crow's Nest.

Last night was our first of three formal nights. DH brought a dress shirt that required cuff links but forgot to bring the cuff links. I suggested that we just stop at the front desk and borrow their stapler ... but DH's reason prevailed ... I guess why else are there on board shops? He is now cuff linked.

At dinner the Yum Yum man was dressed like the soldiers in the Nutcracker Suite. There was a large Yule Log that was paraded around the room, and the on board singers were there singing carols live. I concluded my meal with Christmas Plum pudding.

So far all the tea times have been held in the MDR (unlike the Grand Asia where tea time was a wonderful event up in the Crow's Nest) - we have not attended a tea yet so we do not know if it is wonderful or not.

DH and I have been doing our NY Times puzzles from the Times Digest and pretty much just vegging out on these two sea days. Tomorrow will be different as we will be up to the Friday puzzle which is where we really reach the outer limits of our abilities - and we will also be in St. Thomas where we will be doing a snorkeling trip.

We also attended a wine tasting yesterday as well as pub trivia where our team was three for three (not bragging or anything.... but yes, I am). Today at team trivia (the first team trivia we have played this cruise) we came in second -- oh, well, there is always tomorrow. And I am now sad to report that we also did not win the Pub Trivia this evening. I guess I am no longer bragging. Or I could say it is nice to let others win too.

Late this afternoon we enjoyed a Holiday Rainbow visible from the port side of the ship.

Dinner this evening, though not formal, offered a "Global Celebration of Christmas" menu which included Roasted Goose (the selection from Austria) which I truly enjoyed, and Yule Log on the dessert menu. In comparison with the log that was paraded last night, what I received today was more like a slice of a "Yule Twig" - but it was sweet and tasty.

December 26,27 2014 Amsterdam Holiday Cruise

On the 26th we were in St. Thomas, and on the 27th we were in St. Kitts. We did shore excursions both days.

December 26 - the ship docked at Crown Bay. We had a very early call for our Shipwreck and Turtle Cove sail and snorkel. Curiously, we did not have to clear immigration in the early morning as we did last December when we did a week on the Eurodam. Technically at Half Moon Cay we were out of the U.S., and in St. Thomas, technically, we were back in the U.S. but I guess this year customs and immigration did not care. That was a good thing!

We collected on the dock and there was a short walk to our vessel, a catamaran. The boat had a fairly decent sized bimini for those of us unable to tolerate too much direct sun, and also seats and spaces in the sun. We motored to the first snorkel site - the shipwreck where passengers were led, as a large group, to the shipwreck. They did not want individuals paddling about on their own so I did not swim. I dislike keeping up with a group in the water as I do not always feel confident to do so. I prefer to splash around the boat on my own. This trip that would have been difficult even if allowed to splash on my own as there were numerous small vessels coming in and tying up to disgorge groups of snorkelers, and then leaving. A very busy mooring.

After the snorkelers were back on board we motored to a second site, Turtle Cove. That site did not disappoint. Those who went in the water saw many, many turtles as well as stingrays. Those of us who stayed on board also saw many turtles as they repeatedly came up for air - many right next to our boat. It was a good day to see turtles.

The captain then put up both sails and we motor sailed back to Crown Bay while enjoying snacks and beverages that included endless rum punch. A nice trip. Only wish we had really sailed and not motor sailed.

Between our morning trip and two trivia games (ties for second), we were busy though not as busy as we were yesterday.

December 27 - The Amsterdam docked in St. Kitts. Our excursion left just late enough that we could enjoy a short dining room breakfast before leaving. We traveled via a ship's excursion to Nevis. There were only about twenty folks on this excursion so in many ways it was like a private tour.

We were taken to a fast, open catamaran style water taxi a short way from the dock. About two thirds of the seating on board was covered, and we were taken at high speed on the 45 minute ride to Nevis. It was partly cloudy yesterday morning and the ride over was almost chilly. Cruising along the coast of St. Kitts is a pretty ride. When we arrived at Nevis there was a short break and then our group was loaded into two 12 passenger mini-vans. Very comfortable. Our drive around the island was narrated by our driver who supplied history and stories to go with what we passed. The island is very charming - in the old sections of town the colonial buildings have all been preserved on the outside even if modernized on the inside. It seems very safe there and our driver confirmed that.

Our first stop was at a natural volcanic sulfur hot spring where we were all invited to go down to the spring to wade and get anointed and healed. We all dunked our feet in, some were anointed, I do not know if anyone was healed. We were promised a longer life.

From there we drove to a plantation style hotel built on a high point, somewhat in from the ocean, where the old plantation house catches cool breezes from all directions. This is where Princess Di used to come to stay. A beautiful location that we find very tempting for a land trip.

On our way out of the plantation area there were the typical chickens, goats, sheep and donkeys that roam free on the island (though they do have homes) - we passed a small goat that had stuck its head through a fence to munch the greens on the other side and was now caught in the fence. Our driver, with the help of a couple of passengers, freed the goat. According to our guide, without help the goat would have eventually panicked and broken its neck trying to get free. Their heads fit through the square holes in the wire fences easily, but when they try to withdraw, their heads have turned and they get their horns caught on the wire. Freeing them is a matter of turning their heads and pulling them out in the same way that they went through in the first place.

After a stop for scenic photos we arrived at a beach bar restaurant for an included lunch, beverages, and beach time. The sun was now out full, the beach was quiet, the day was lovely.

The ride back to St. Kitts on the catamaran was pleasant and a bit damp from the waves that we bounced over. We had a great time.

We got back to the ship in time for a quick mid afternoon cookie from the lido and then it was back to the cabin to fix an embarrassing situation ... it seems I had locked myself out of our cabin safe - a real stupid, newbie cruiser trick that I none-the-less, in my very tired state after dinner the night before, succeeded in doing. The front desk staff quickly came upstairs and fixed the safe. I am now being super careful to not do that again.

But if that wasn't stupid enough, when I showered I dropped the shower head which then went flopping around the shower stall and managed to spray most of the bathroom in a very short time. What can I say, it was not my day?

And, squished into this late afternoon there was team trivia at 4:30 in the Crow's Nest (we did very badly) followed at 6:00 pm by Pub Trivia (we tied for first). Our team is developing an ability to overthink questions - discarding the correct answer for the overthought wrong ones ... we must move past this. This 4:30 and 6:00 trivia schedule really encourages one to just start drinking at afternoon happy hour and stay in the Crow's Nest and continue to drink through Pub Trivia. Has HAL planned it that way? It seems to be very good for bar sales.

Dinner was tasty but unremarkable, again we skipped the shows. Even if we had wanted to see the shows on these port days we would have fallen asleep in the audience and snoring in public is so frowned upon.

December 28,29, 30, 2014 - Amsterdam Holiday Cruise

OK, where did I leave off ... Last entry we were in St. Kitts ... If its Sunday we were in St. Lucia, on Monday we were in Grenada and today it is Barbados... It is hard to keep track as this is a wonderful, yet port intensive itinerary.

St. Lucia - one of the most beautiful of the Caribbean islands IMHO. One large hilly, mountainy rain forest. We have been here several times before - not much to see in Castries where we docked except a beautiful bay surrounded by lush palm trees and tropical vegetation. They have built a nice set of shops at the cruise ship pier. The ride from Castries down to Sourfiere is stunning and full of hair pin turns, mountains, plantations, sulfur springs ... we have done that before and though incredibly impressive the last time we did this, many years ago, the roads were not paved and the ride seemed treacherous.

Having just completed two wonderful shorex ... well, we had no ambition so we stayed aboard to soak in the wonderfulness of being on board an HAL ship. Breakfast, time out in the warmth on the balcony taking in the scenery, lunch in the lido and then DH took advantage of an afternoon in the spa is how we spent our day. He returned a limp, relaxed, noodle. Ivana, in the spa, did her work well.

At 2:30 the ship left Castries and cruised down the coast of the island showing off its lush green rainforests as we sailed. We then made a short stop at Sourfiere to pick up passengers who did one way tours. That gave us the opportunity to pull briefly into a beautiful protected harbor in the middle of the rain forest. A really lovely day. And did I mention there was a rainbow?

Grenada - home of what I consider to be one of the best beaches in the world, the Grand Anse beach. I have not been here for many years. When last here, about 25 years ago, there was no cruise ship terminal (there is now). We would walk off the ship and past the stalls of women selling baskets of Grenada spices, and go up to a line of small brightly painted wooden boats - the "water taxis" and for the princely sum of $4 you could get a round trip ride to the beach - and they would not take your money until they picked you up and brought you back to the ship. In between we would spend a quiet few hours on a close to empty beach that was not situated on a "hotel row" - one year Santa rode by on horseback.

This year I wanted to see some of this lush green island. As we left the ship and walked through the large terminal full of shops, there was a desk where you could book a water taxi (now $4pp each way) - we did not see the actual boats they are using now. We walked past as we were looking for a taxi to tour.

We were quickly snagged by a driver who was trying to fill his 15 passenger van for a tour, $20 pp. We hopped on and shared the van and tour with several passengers from P&O's Azura which was tied up across the dock from us. We saw waterfalls, the fort, and a lake that is some 1900 feet up in the clouds on the tallest mountain on the island, we drove through villages and St. George's (a very congested port city). We also had the obligatory stop to see a spice demonstration and purchase spices should we so choose. It was interesting to see how cocoa and nutmeg grow - these two along with bananas are the primary products of the island. Another really pretty island.

I should mention here that the dock at St. George's, Grenada is not in a protected harbor. Though the seas were calm, there were some notable swells slowly moving in and out. We first became aware of them at breakfast - we were seated on the dock side staring at the large Azura across from us - and watching her slowly go up and down in relation to us. If I were prone to seasickness (I am a bit) that would have just done it for me. I just looked away.

Later when we left the ship - not only did the gangway slowly move forward and back by several inches, we could we see the two ships bobbing up and down on their lines. What was most impressive, however, and what was a new experience for us, was to listen to the large creaking and groaning of the lines during the ship's rise and fall. We could even hear the sound from our balcony.

What I could also hear from our balcony was obnoxious loud music from a boom box at the pier where the folks from the Azura were playing the Macarena and greeting returning passengers with papers leis. So glad we are on HAL!

We skipped the illusionist's after dinner show. Once more we were exhausted from a long day.

Barbados - Another sunny day in the Caribbean. We chose an HAL shorex here, the Five Star Catamaran sail and snorkel complete with lunch. The catamaran was large with lots of space. It did not feel crowded. The snorkeling was not super (the water was sandy, visibility was low) though the beach stop was stunning. Lunch was served between stops and was an impressive spread including fried chicken and fish. Going both ways they were really sailing as they actually trimmed the sails.

Tired upon returning there was only nap time, trivia and dinner. We are really very boring folks.