Luggage Tags and Tip

photogpab

I'll be sailing on Saturday on Oasis! Woohoo! When I arrive to port and give the attendant my bags will they place luggage tags on for me? Also, what should I tip the attendant who takes your bags? I assume he also delivers them to the room for us?

I'll be sailing on Saturday on Oasis! Woohoo! When I arrive to port and give the attendant my bags will they place luggage tags on for me? Also, what should I tip the attendant who takes your bags? I assume he also delivers them to the room for us?

The porters will put luggage tags on your bags. They load the bags onto carts and deliver the carts to the ship. Ship crewmembers deliver the bags to your stateroom. We usually tip the porters a couple dollars per bag.

Edited by clarea

The porters will put luggage tags on your bags. They load the bags onto carts and deliver the carts to the ship. Ship crewmembers deliver the bags to your stateroom. We usually tip the porters a couple dollars per bag.

thanks. just want to make sure I tip people appropriately. I am sure "tipping" is a sensitive subject since technically we pre-paid them already - but are there other scenarios where tipping is encouraged or where I should be mindful of giving an additional tip?

I don't want to be ungrateful or rude.

thanks. just want to make sure I tip people appropriately. I am sure "tipping" is a sensitive subject since technically we pre-paid them already - but are there other scenarios where tipping is encouraged or where I should be mindful of giving an additional tip?

I don't want to be ungrateful or rude.

Your stateroom attendant and dining staff are covered by the automatic or prepaid tips. Bar servers are covered by a 15% gratuity added to all drinks. You can give more if you like.

We will usually tip the room service people a few dollars based on how much food they are serving us.

Your stateroom attendant and dining staff are covered by the automatic or prepaid tips. Bar servers are covered by a 15% gratuity added to all drinks. You can give more if you like.

We will usually tip the room service people a few dollars based on how much food they are serving us.

that seems perfectly fair. tip room service and everyone else is covered. thanks again! can't believe we leave in 4 days. I hope the ship and experience is a great one.

The porters at the pier/terminal are not cruise line employees so they are not covered by your pre-paid/auto gratuities you paid RCI. Bob's guideline for the porter's tip is a good one.

They are pier employees and have no affiliation with RCI. I always tip them very well so they are careful with my things yet on occasion they have broken stuff as some it is clear just flat out don't care. Since they know you will be yelling at RCI about their poor service not their supervisors.

Edited by Garavar

DH always takes care of the bags.

I always have nightmares of the bags floating in the water, because he did not tip enough.

We always send 5 bags thru when we get to port.

We keep one of the carryons.

DH always has a $20 in his hand so they can see. He tells them show me they go in a bin, and this is yours.

Never had a problem in 5 previous cruises.

Yeah might be a little much, but it pays for peace of mind.

Sea Ya

thanks. just want to make sure I tip people appropriately. I am sure "tipping" is a sensitive subject since technically we pre-paid them already -

Not a sensitive subject at all. In fact, they rarely even talk about about tipping here on Cruise Critic and on the rare occasions that they do it is a small cordial thread with only a few posts.

I believe at least some of the porters at the terminal work for the port and not the cruise line so our pre-paid tips do not cover them.

I do 2 things if I ever curbside check a bag (airport or port):

1. Tip the guy $5 total

2. Watch the bags until I see them go on the cart/conveyor/etc.

Not because I just want to be a nice guy or supplement their income but rather I consider it a "bribe" so that they give my luggage the attention it deserves. LOL

Edited by NightOne

Hi cruisers. We tip in guidelines with Bob. We live in Florida, and have seen signs tipping not required for porters. Don't tip and see what kind of look you will get. Best case is a bad look, worst is a bag with no tags on it, or no bag at all, or a ripped bag from a box cutter.. Saw in Miami, where line had multiple ships in and some bags got delivered to ship doing western, when passenger was doing eastern.

I get the tipping part, but I do not get the luggage tag part. Is Royal different from the four others lines I have been on, where they email you tags, you print them and tape them on your bags and/or us a tag holder. Then you get to the curb, hand the porter your bag and a few bucks, and you are on your way.

Why would I wait till I got to the port to have the porter do it? :confused:

I get the tipping part, but I do not get the luggage tag part. Is Royal different from the four others lines I have been on, where they email you tags, you print them and tape them on your bags and/or us a tag holder. Then you get to the curb, hand the porter your bag and a few bucks, and you are on your way.

Why would I wait till I got to the port to have the porter do it? :confused:

You can still print luggage tags with Royal.

I do 2 things if I ever curbside check a bag (airport or port):

1. Tip the guy $5 total

Not because I just want to be a nice guy or supplement their income but rather I consider it a "bribe" so that they give my luggage the attention it deserves. LOL

Ditto for us ...

We generally have two bags & tip $5.00.

Quite awhile ago our bags went into an empty bin & when I unpacked I noticed many of the rivets had popped from the weight of the luggage that went on top of it. It was new luggage & was replaced by the manufacturer but now I prefer to see them go into a nearly full bin...........

I usually tip the longshoremen $2 per bag.

As for the tags, I print them off in advance and take them to our local office supply store for lamination. You can easily fit 4 tags on one 8.5 x 11 sheet of plastic. Trim the individual tags after you are finished and you have secure, waterproof tags for your luggage. We always borrow a stapler from the pre-cruise hotel to attach to each checked piece of luggage prior to heading to the port.

Total cost of the lamination was about $1.50

Edited by stones902

1. Tip the guy $5 total

I agree with this part of your comment. That is exactly what we do as well.

OP, is there a reason you didn't print your own luggage tags? They don't have to be in color or anything fancy; we put clear packing tape over ours, folded it, and it was strong as could be. No problems. BUT - we have also had the porter write out our tags at the pier, also no problems.

Have fun on Oasis! :)

Tipping, as you know, is very subjective. We tip the porters more than most. Particularly coming off the ship. The Porter will carry all your luggage, expedite you through Customs, and load the car for you. For that, I tip extremely well. But that is my choice.

I am always perplexed why some call "tipping" a "bribe." I suppose if you think your luggage will end up in the water if you don't tip, then it is a bribe. However that really isn't a problem. Also, as others have stated, the Porters take your luggage and load it onto large bins to be forklifted onto the ship. Ships company take the luggage to your cabin. It seems to us that the earlier you get there the earlier you get your luggage. Size of tip to the Porters is irrelevant. But the Porters do provide a curbside service by taking your luggage from your car (or shuttle) to the bins. They will unload your car if you let them. The tip (not a bribe) is for that service. So, tip as you feel comfortable. If you don't want to tip, then don't. If you want to tip well, then do. I suspect most give a few dollars per bag. I choose to tip higher than that, but that's my personal preference.

It seems to us that the earlier you get there the earlier you get your luggage.

Really? I wonder if there has ever a been a thread or survey about this? I always thought it was completely random

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Just a quick question for everyone. DW and I will be binging one suitcase each and a garment bag carrying suit/dress. What are the chances the garment bag will get to the room without being thrown around, squished, folded mutilated, etc? Guess I can take a previous posters suggestion and actually follow the porter to the bin to ensure no damage is done, but who knows what the RCCL employees will do to it.

Would it be better to gently fold the suit/dress into our suitcases, and cut down on the number of cases to load? Then I would also have one less piece to tip the porter for :)