Cancel due to medical emergency!

Well, unfortunately my wife and I are going to have to cancel the cruise we had scheduled for February 16th on Majesty as she has been placed in the hospital and diagnosed with leukemia. Didn't buy the travel insurance and she went to the hospital the day after we could cancel without penalty. :(. If anyone has had any luck with RC getting a refund without penalty for something like this please let me know. Otherwise I have until Jan 4th to cancel with the $100.00 per person penalty. I have already contacted RC through e-mail but have not heard back yet.

Hopefully everything will be okay for the September 7 day Cruise we have scheduled to Puerto Rico. Hope everyone has fun and says goodbye to the Majesty for us. Anyone who wants to send their cruise love to her just visit our facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/carolsfightagainstleukemia

Well, unfortunately my wife and I are going to have to cancel the cruise we had scheduled for February 16th on Majesty as she has been placed in the hospital and diagnosed with leukemia. Didn't buy the travel insurance and she went to the hospital the day after we could cancel without penalty. :(. If anyone has had any luck with RC getting a refund without penalty for something like this please let me know. Otherwise I have until Jan 4th to cancel with the $100.00 per person penalty. I have already contacted RC through e-mail but have not heard back yet.

Hopefully everything will be okay for the September 7 day Cruise we have scheduled to Puerto Rico. Hope everyone has fun and says goodbye to the Majesty for us. Anyone who wants to send their cruise love to her just visit our facebook page.

never mind email. get on the phone and get it done. Not much if any chance you are not going to get penalized

I would call Royal and explain your situation. I've read that they sometimes waive the penalty. I'd also have a different cruise picked out in case they allow you to move the money to future cruise.

I am sorry about your wife's diagnosis. I would also suggest calling to plead your case, but you might have better luck tomorrow, sine the people that have the authority to approve something other than their normal cancellation policy are probably off today. (Same for Saturday and Sunday, so definitely try resolving this tomorrow.)

Honestly, $100pp is not a bad penalty. If you had bought insurance you probably would have paid ~$120 anyway, for the premium. I'd still call and ask though.
Here are the Cruise care rates

Cruise Care (per person)/ Cruise Cost (per person)

$0 USD - $500 USD / $29 USD

$501 USD - $1000 USD / $59 USD

$1001 USD - $1500 USD / $89 USD

$1501 USD - $2000 USD / $119 USD

$2001 USD - $2500 USD / $159 USD

$2501 USD - $3000 USD / $189 USD

$3001 USD - $3500 USD / $229 USD

$3501 USD - $4000 USD / $259 USD

$4001 USD - $4500 USD / $299 USD

$4501 USD - $5000 USD / $329 USD

Remember its only money and your wife health IS the most important thing,

We are currently going through something very similar wife diagnosed in early august and we had a cruise planned for October (daughters wedding cruise). we talked to our oncologist and adjusted chemo so she could go.. We kept all our cruises scheduled as she wanted something to look forward to.. Surgery scheduled for next week if all goes well we will do a back to back in 17 days... or not depending on her health.... once again its only money.

Now a message for you.. surround yourself with a support system... Get one of her friends to visit and give you a break to get away and do something you enjoy.. Trust me it can get overwhelming

Love and prayers headed your way

Rick

Talk to you oncologist. I have planned chemo around vacations and cruises for the last two years now. They will do their best to make it work. Unless there is an urgent reason she has to be on chemo that week they can just delay it for a week. I have a cruise at the end of this month and my doctor and I worked out a visit just days before we leave and agreed to a one week break.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. We have been cruising for the past 3 years with my husband having 2 types of cancer. We were supposed to cruise this past December and had to cancel due to my 91 year old father having a heart attack and needing angioplasty. We lost out on the insurance premium as it was 5 days prior to sailing. I have come to accept the fact if we cancel we will lose some money. I agree with your wife having something to look forward to has helped us through surgeries, chemo and radiation. Now we schedule around MRI scans and blood draws. Hang in there and keep dreaming about future vacations.

I really don't understand the reluctance to purchase travel insurance. I have seen people get sick and need emergency medical evacuation by helicopter and I have known someone who needed hospitalization in a foreign country where their health insurance (medicare) is not accepted. These situations can cost thousands. Really, losing the money for the cruise is not the biggest expense. Travel insurance is well worth the peace of mind and I would never plan a trip without it.

I really don't understand the reluctance to purchase travel insurance. I have seen people get sick and need emergency medical evacuation by helicopter and I have known someone who needed hospitalization in a foreign country where their health insurance (medicare) is not accepted. These situations can cost thousands. Really, losing the money for the cruise is not the biggest expense. Travel insurance is well worth the peace of mind and I would never plan a trip without it.

There is a difference between medical coverage and trip cancellation. We can purchase medical coverage for our family of four for just over $150 for the year and would old not consider travelling without it.

Trip cancellation insurance to cover the OP's predicament would cost us $500+ per trip. We choose to self insure for this coverage.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Best wishes for successful treatment.

honestly the financial cost of cruise cancellation likely will be dwarfed by the financial costs of treatment.

If you are sure you cannot or will not travel, call and talk to the cruiseline. maybe they will decide to be very kind and waive the penalty; can't hurt to ask. If not, cancel and forget about the $100 pp.

If you may still wish to travel, talk it over with the doctors. maybe they will approve of a short cruise.

There is a difference between medical coverage and trip cancellation. We can purchase medical coverage for our family of four for just over $150 for the year and would old not consider travelling without it.

Trip cancellation insurance to cover the OP's predicament would cost us $500+ per trip. We choose to self insure for this coverage.

Please let me know where you get travel medical insurance for $150 a year. That would be wonderful!

Please let me know where you get travel medical insurance for $150 a year. That would be wonderful!

They are in Canada and have different insurance products than in the US. If you're not in Canada that person's answer isn't going to help.

OP I hope everything goes well with your wife.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's illness, but this is WHY you buy the insurance! If the cruise line were going to refund money to anyone, regardless of date, there'd be no reason ever to buy the insurance!

I'd call the doctor and ask when she'd likely be okay to cruise -- and, if necessary, ask the cruise line to change your dates. I think your chances of success with that request are relatively good, whereas asking for a refund is likely to be met with a refusal.

Why bother when it seems after reading here that the cruise has compassion and allows so many exceptions.

I really can't fault compassionate accommodations, but it does make me wonder sometimes why we buy travel insurance for each and every cruise, and have only had to use it (unreimbursed medical) once. They probably make quite a bit in premiums.

I know that I would probably be a nervous wreck if we didn't have it. I drive for work and worry about car accidents. But it does make me look at those that post on here, don't have travel insurance, and then look for reimbursement or accommodation from the cruise line.

"Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:

• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion

• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip

• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner

• A terrorist action or hijacking

• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived

• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable

• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons

• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked"

As quoted above, there are (nationally known) bank credit cards (with no annual fee) available that provide trip cancellation coverage for a situation such as yours. We use this credit card whenever booking a new cruise so that we are covered for illness or other incidents before the cruise begins. This way we are not paying the high premiums for pre-cruise issues and can make the decision whether we want to purchase medical coverage for our trip.

I realize that this does not help you now, but may be useful for the future. My prayers are with you and your wife for a full recovery. In the meantime, I hope that RCL will be as supportive to you as many members on this thread.

God Bless.

Yes I can say that they have done this before. When my FIL went into hospice a few years ago I was able to call and they allowed me to put the cruise on hold for another date after he passed away.

Yes, we had a similar situation in 2011. I would call RC and explain.

I am sorry for your wife's recent diagnosis. It sounds like a few others here have experienced similar diagnoses and have soldered on. Hopefully you and your wife have many more cruises in your future.

I don't understand the $100 cancellation fee? Why is that your penalty? That sounds better than most insurance policies. Especially if you consider that there was no premium paid either. That's nothing! Take it and run!!!!! Are you trying to get the $100 waived????

Basically, people that don't buy insurance know they can handle the financial loss. No one over the age of 40 is so pompous to think that nothing could ever happen to them or their families.

But I hope the OP doesn't feel that RCI is not compationate if they don't waive all the fees. Every single representative on the other line are thinking the same thing, "why didn't you think you should buy insurance," but their compassion prevents them from saying what they are thinking. Travel insurance isn't for the guests that typically change their mind because they can't decide what itinerary suits them best, or stubbing a toe. Travel insurance is typically for the unthinkable....worst case scenario.....awful unseen or unplanned illnesses or tragedies. So when those things happen, I just don't understand why the cruise lines would not be "compassionate" if they couldn't waive the penalties that clearly the cruisers chose to gamble when they opted to forgo the insurance.

I am sorry you are going through this and I do hope everything turns out okay. But if (somehow) you are only being penalized $100 per person, I would think that is a really soft penalty as you could be out 100% of the total cost of the cruise. I would be thrilled if that was my only loss if I didn't buy travel insurance and had to cancel.

Good luck to your wife....hopefully you'll both be cruising soon.

Dawn

[quote

Now a message for you.. surround yourself with a support system... Get one of her friends to visit and give you a break to get away and do something you enjoy.. Trust me it can get overwhelming

Love and prayers headed your way

Rick

Been there and done that Rick and I couldn't agree more.