Unreasonable Expectation?

Oakman58

[quote name='hillbilly73']Oakman sorry for your frustration but as others have stated it is what it is and really that it the chance you take. I wondered why they had two balcony guarantees when I checked it a few weeks ago seemed strange enough that if we were booking I would have asked questions. Looking at your screenshot you got the UDP? Most of us that have a midship BA on this cruise have our own frustration the UDP special came out a week or two after final payment date so we are paying for drinks. Be happy to meet up and we can grip together. Heck first round is on me since I only have to buy my own. It is small ship and you are close to the elevators hopefully something happens with NCL and you get moved but if not lets go and make the best of it and have a good time.[/quote]

I am also on your sailing and have sailed the dawn before in the DOS which is as far forward on the Dawn as you can get and walked to the aft kids club several times a day. The Dawn is a smaller ship that access from the forward elevators and then across on deck 7. I am sympathetic to your situation and as your knees are a concern, have you considered reaching out to the access desk rather than your PCC regarding your mobility and the room assignment? Edited by Sparkygirl

[quote name='Oakman58']

I would love to know what makes a B3 category cabin a higher category than a BA, or a BB, BC, or BD for that matter. The only difference I can see between a B3 and a BB, BC, and BD category is the fact that the B3 has a connection to another cabin. Whoop dee do!
.[/QUOTE]

I *think* B3 is considered a 'family balcony' and they have a bathtub whereas the BA's do not.

If I'm mistaken please correct me.

Harriet

I’m looking for opinions from you good folks. I booked a mid-ship guarantee balcony (BA) for our cruise on the Dawn on February 8th. I paid slightly more for this category than the BX guarantee balcony. I’m 69 years old so the convenience of a mid-ship location was important to me.

Yesterday NCL assigned us cabin 8032 (B3 category) in the front of the ship. When we called NCL to complain about not being assigned mid-ship they said the cabin they gave us was an upgrade. I’m sure my knees would dispute that claim, we are now a lot farther away from the main dining room and also the Aqua dining room. The customer service rep told us that once they assign a cabin to a guarantee category they can’t change it. I guess the word guarantee doesn’t have the same meaning that it used to have. At this point I’m not a happy cruiser.

So what is your opinion? Am I being unreasonable expecting to be moved to a mid-ship balcony?

What changed from your post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117896

Post # 1 and then post #6 where you say, "I thought I was booking a guaranteed balcony cabin. It really didn’t matter to us where the cabin was located. I’m sure this will work out for us, I just don’t want to be bumped off the ship."

Did something change with your age/knees from your November cruise to this cruise in February?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Indeed...

dawn8032.jpg

Well, I guess there are "hull balconies" and there are "hull balconies". It looks like those "hull balconies" still have a glass panel below the railing height, so from a sitting position in the room you will still see "out". We were in a hull balcony on Epic and there is what amounts to a large rectangular hole from the railing height and up, so that from a seated position in the room, you cannot see out (except to see sky and not the horizon).

For the OP, a call to the accessibility desk might work for you. Our experience has been that they try very hard to make things easier, but it all depends on if they have the flexibility to do it without bumping another passenger out of a room they asked for.

We've done guarantees before and risked it because of price. It has worked out for us, but we don't have any extenuating circumstances that would make being too far from the dining rooms an issue.

Post # 1 and then post #6 where you say, "I thought I was booking a guaranteed balcony cabin. It really didn’t matter to us where the cabin was located. I’m sure this will work out for us, I just don’t want to be bumped off the ship."

Did something change with your age/knees from your November cruise to this cruise in February?

Harriet

Well, this sure puts the entire "complaint" in a totally different light.

OP "didn't care" where the cabin was located... until OP DID care.

And now OP is upset :(

It is now very clear that at the time OP was making this GTY reservation, OP did indeed know that the location could be changed, and it didn't matter!

Then OP posts here about being mislead, consumer misrepresentation, etc.

Wow.

GeezerCouple

In our recent upgrade to a balcony, our TA booked us in 8199 on the Epic. I think this is a "GTY" category. Why would they decide to move us? I don't understand that. I could see them asking IF we wanted to move, but to not give us the option?

Should I call my TA and get her to change our room to a different category? I kind of like our current location.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

I would call again and see what the next agent says. I have called on things,told no, called back and they changed things. A few days ago I was told a reward 2 category upgrade was not allowed between inside to balcony on EPIC even though they had no oceanviews. Even though the website says NO, I called the next day and got a wonderful woman who put me on hold, called someone and came back and did it so you never know.

It is now very clear that at the time OP was making this GTY reservation, OP did indeed know that the location could be changed, and it didn't matter!

Wow.

GeezerCouple

I was quite sympathetic....thinking OP was new to booking guarantees.

Wow.

GeezerCouple

LOL! Some times you good folks are too funny. If you're a male and lucky enough to live into your late 60's AND try to maintain a very active lifestyle, you will find out exactly how quickly "it can happen." "It" can hit the fan overnight. On our last cruise I almost blew out my knee at the golf driving net that seemed to have some type of inexplicable attraction for me. :)

In reality I was hoping that by the cruise my knee issues would be resolved but it may not happen. I certainly don't need a mobility room but you're not going to see me on the dance floor either.

Harriet

Well, that's quite an interesting find! Not only because location didn't matter to the OP on his November cruise, but it turns out this the Feb. cruise isn't his first rodeo when it comes to booking GTY, as many of us thought.

Interesting also that his November cruise (a 14-day full transit of the Panama Canal) was to celebrate his 40th wedding anniversary, but he still went GTY. Tells us the OP's main concern is saving money, which is totally and absolutely fine. He rolled the GTY dice on his November cruise, and it worked for him (as he notes later in that thread). He rolled the GTY dice here, and it didn't.

I'm blown away that he's gone GTY before and comes on here now, making it sound as though he didn't understand how it works.

Edited to add: I was typing when the OP was posting about his knee. I'm sorry the knee is an issue, even more reason to book a cabin with a location you are happy with, not a GTY.

Edited by Turtles06

While I have booked a BX previously I tried to book a mid-ship balcony this time which wasn't available. The booking screen showed guarantee which I booked thinking the BA category would be the guarantee, especially since the BA category showed on my reservation. I see now that I was wrong, apparently grievously. When I booked our November cruise I didn't care where on the ship I was assigned. On this booking I did.

Things can change in a person's life very rapidly. Case in point, fifteen months ago I was actively hiking steep grades and long distances thinking I was a very healthy old man. One month later I was in the hospital having a stent placed in my left coronary artery. That's exactly how fast things can change.

LOL! Some times you good folks are too funny. If you're a male and lucky enough to live into your late 60's AND try to maintain a very active lifestyle, you will find out exactly how quickly "it can happen." "It" can hit the fan overnight. On our last cruise I almost blew out my knee at the golf driving net that seemed to have some type of inexplicable attraction for me. :)

In reality I was hoping that by the cruise my knee issues would be resolved but it may not happen. I certainly don't need a mobility room but you're not going to see me on the dance floor either.

You are missing the point and trying to change the issue.

Yes, of course "life happens".

For example, shortly before our holiday cruise, I managed to get a torn rotator cuff - ouch !

Yes, it was pretty uncomfortable at times, and it interfered a with some of the things we had planned/hoped to do.

And I had to wait until just a couple of days before we were supposed to leave home for the surgeon to give me the "A-OK" to travel.

But you were complaining that NCL was being unfair, was misrepresenting what you expected to get in terms of the location possibilities, etc.

THAT is what many of us here are reacting to.

We find out now that you obviously knew the location could be changed, and you explicitly stated in writing that would be fine.

Then you complain about NCL's unfair business practices, and get others all agitated, too, not realizing that you knew full well from the start that the location could be changed.

[P.S. What's with the sexist comment? Women can't live into their 60's and "try to maintain a very active lifestyle"? Or they are immune from injury? Just curious. And see comment above about torn rotator cuff...]

GeezerCouple

I’m looking for opinions from you good folks. I booked a mid-ship guarantee balcony (BA) for our cruise on the Dawn on February 8th. I paid slightly more for this category than the BX guarantee balcony. I’m 69 years old so the convenience of a mid-ship location was important to me.

Yesterday NCL assigned us cabin 8032 (B3 category) in the front of the ship. When we called NCL to complain about not being assigned mid-ship they said the cabin they gave us was an upgrade. I’m sure my knees would dispute that claim, we are now a lot farther away from the main dining room and also the Aqua dining room. The customer service rep told us that once they assign a cabin to a guarantee category they can’t change it. I guess the word guarantee doesn’t have the same meaning that it used to have. At this point I’m not a happy cruiser.

So what is your opinion? Am I being unreasonable expecting to be moved to a mid-ship balcony?

I dont think you are being unreasonable. The Guarantee does specify MID SHIP which to me is the reason for the higher fare than a BX.

I dont understand how this can be twisted to mean it can be anywhere on the ship as long as it's an "upgrade".

I dont think you are being unreasonable. The Guarantee does specify MID SHIP which to me is the reason for the higher fare than a BX.

I dont understand how this can be twisted to mean it can be anywhere on the ship as long as it's an "upgrade".

Simple....you are booking a category, not a location.

Some of the best categories are all the way forward.

OP clearly knew the rules....last time he was lucky, this time not.

Simple....you are booking a category, not a location.

Some of the best categories are all the way forward.

OP clearly knew the rules....last time he was lucky, this time not.

The problem is the "category" does specify the location....mid-ship. Perhaps it should have said: BA - Guarantee period.

I understand that I was assigned a higher category and supposedly don't have a leg to stand on. I also understand deceptive business practices.

You and those who agree can fit in a phone booth.

I will never book a guarantee - to save $$$ you give up control. If location is your motivation you should have picked your own cabin.

Edited by DMH15

I don't think it is fair to book a discount rate and then expect the limitations that allow that discount to not apply to you.

I have booked a cruise, and I could have saved a hefty chunk of change by booking a BA guarantee rather than specific cabins. But I need adjoining rooms for my family. So I suck it up and pay for adjoining rooms. Life happens, we all have our needs, but a room discounted because the location is decided by NCL isn't unfair just because their choice wasn't the one you wanted. If you have specific needs, you book a specific room...and pay for the privilege.

In my opinion, you'll be more likely to get this resolved if you own your part in it and drop the indignation. Explain that your understanding was that the difference between BX and BA was that BA guaranteed midship, that is the upgrade you thought you were paying for, and you paid it because of your physical limitations. You now know that it was simply guaranteeing BA or higher anywhere on the ship, but need to know if there's any way NCL can help you out. Fussing at them for doing exactly what they agreed to do is not going to get you cooperation, and you are the one who misunderstood the terms, here.

You and those who agree can fit in a phone booth.

I will never book a guarantee - to save $$$ you give up control. If location is your motivation you should have picked your own cabin.

I'm afraid you're right about this. I've booked GTY cabins, and then I've come to my senses and called my PCC who was obviously waiting for my call. :p

I've yet to be disappointed with our cabin. With our choice of ship, maybe, but not our cabin.

I guess my only wish is that people had a better understanding of the GTY option.

Good Luck OP, I hope you end up getting what you wanted. I strongly recommend that you call and see if they can do something for you, and remember, you get more bees with honey, honey.

cheers,

Wishing you calm sees and a soft breeze,

Connie

I'm afraid you're right about this. I've booked GTY cabins, and then I've come to my senses and called my PCC who was obviously waiting for my call. :p

I've yet to be disappointed with our cabin. With our choice of ship, maybe, but not our cabin.

I guess my only wish is that people had a better understanding of the GTY option.

Good Luck OP, I hope you end up getting what you wanted. I strongly recommend that you call and see if they can do something for you, and remember, you get more bees with honey, honey.

cheers,

Wishing you calm sees and a soft breeze,

Connie

I agree with you. The OP would be much better served to ask for a change of cabin on the point that he made a mistake interpreting the guarantee type of booking rather than blaming the cruise line for duping him. Perhaps he can change his booking from GTY to another cabin of his choice. It might come with an up charge though. As it should.

Back at post 90 the OP asked what makes the cabin he was assigned, on a lower deck, forward, with a hull balcony a higher category than the BA guarantee he booked, midship and on a higher deck? I sure can't answer that. Does anyone else have an explanation for why the cabin he was assigned is considered a higher category cabin than the BA's on decks 9 &10?

Edited by old sole