Oceania luxury europe summer cruise for teens

Japesurf

We are considering the Oceania cruise in June from Barcelona to Lisbon. We have two daughters 15 & 18 who travel with us. They are very well traveled and enjoyed the Celebrity Equinox immensely. They enjoy the shore excursions, but equally want the same stimulation cruising with peers. We definitely are looking for a more luxurious alternative to Celebrity for my wife and I, but do not want to listen to bored complaining teens throughout the trip.

Thanks

Japesurf

I am afraid I think you definitely need to stick with Celebrity. Take a more expensive cabin if necessary. They have alternative restaurants. Oceania has absolutely NOTHING to do for teenagers and the demographic is much older on Oceania. This is my personal opinion, and I am not one who does not want to cruise with teens...some are. I just honestly believe that Celebrity is best for you at this time of your life.

Of course you are the ones that know your children best

If it is a port intensive cruise & you are off the ship all day then they may like it

There is not a lot for teens to do other than ping pong, small pool, mini golf, board games, movies in the cabin, maybe some music in the evenings but not geared to young people

We have had teens on some of our cruises & they did not seem to mind hanging out with their families & other old folks ;)

They were well travelled & well behaved

Only you can decide what works for your family

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Lyn

There really are not a lot of young people on board in fact I never saw a teen. That said if there are no sea days and you are off the ship all day what does it matter. Keep in mind that their large ship is less than half the size of X ship so their isn't much on it, the big event on board is eating. Also you talked about shore trips, keep in mind the ones on O are 2 to 3 times the price than X. If I wanted to take my grandkids on a upscale line compared to X I would look into Crystal. Have a great trip no matter where you go.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We were on Riviera in the Med last August and I noticed what I thought were quite a lot of children on board. We had a baby in the stateroom next to ours, which surprised me, but we never heard a peep from her. I asked at the front desk and there were "fewer than 100" children on board. I noticed some boys playing around the pool but I didn't spot any groups of teenagers. Although there were families on board, I would still say the overall demographic was older.

You mention that they like "cruising with peers". That is the thing that will most likely be missing. You could ask on the roll call. Someone did that on our Regatta cruise in 2012 but didn't get any replies from families with teens.

The evening entertainment lacks teen appeal :), but there is a library! I would agree with hypercafe that the excursions are very expensive.

The key word you put in your posting was "peers". This is where your teens may be very disappointed. Would I have taken my kids when they were teens on Oceania, my answer would be yes, as it would not have been necessary for them to have others to talk to around the same age as them. If your daughters need companionship of others the same age, you will probably not find them aboard Oceania. Teens that have been on sailings that I have done appreciated when other passengers took time to get to know them and they ended up spending time with several passengers who enjoyed their company.

We were on Riviera in the Med last August and I noticed what I thought were quite a lot of children on board. We had a baby in the stateroom next to ours, which surprised me, but we never heard a peep from her. I asked at the front desk and there were "fewer than 100" children on board. I noticed some boys playing around the pool but I didn't spot any groups of teenagers. Although there were families on board, I would still say the overall demographic was older.

You mention that they like "cruising with peers". That is the thing that will most likely be missing. You could ask on the roll call. Someone did that on our Regatta cruise in 2012 but didn't get any replies from families with teens.

The evening entertainment lacks teen appeal :), but there is a library! I would agree with hypercafe that the excursions are very expensive.

We sailed from Barcelona last summer, and there were quite a few kids and teens onboard.

Go for it.

Like these posters we also saw quite a few families and children & teens in the Med. Actually more younger to middle aged people with children than I've ever seen on Oceania. Keep in mind most of them were European families and not American, so most of them would be peers in age, but not necessarily background. Could be a good thing though. There still is no where near as many activities for teens as there are on mass market ships, but you'd be on Oceania. Then again you'd be spending a lot more than you would on Celebrity.

Appreciate all the advice and opinions. Helps greatly in confirming or not confirming cruise. I am curious if any fellow cruise goers have experience with Crystal, Regent or Silver Seas and teens? Usually I am not so concerned with our kids social regard, but have come to understand we get more enjoyment and alone time when they are happiley pre occupied and most definetely not interested in spending upwards of 5k per teen to hear how bored they are all day, lol....

Edited by Japesurf

Like these posters we also saw quite a few families and children & teens in the Med. Actually more younger to middle aged people with children than I've ever seen on Oceania. Keep in mind most of them were European families and not American, so most of them would be peers in age, but not necessarily background. Could be a good thing though. There still is no where near as many activities for teens as there are on mass market ships, but you'd be on Oceania. Then again you'd be spending a lot more than you would on Celebrity.

The ethnic diversity is welcomed as my teens speak French and Spanish. I just can't do another mass market ship and all the inconsistencies, coupled with sales vendors and heards of people.

Crystal do have 'clubs' for teens and children, at least they did when we visited one of their ships. Silversea does not, sometimes they have clubs for children on the Silver Spirit in the Med in the summer. Can't remember about Regent, but I'm sure someone will be along who knows Regent.:)

Crystal has a kids program on all their trips and the ship is bigger so their is more places to hang out. They have lots going on during the day and two shows at night. They also have a kids area although I am not sure what's there. Down side dress for dinner is more formal and assigned time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Appreciate all the advice and opinions. Helps greatly in confirming or not confirming cruise. I am curious if any fellow cruise goers have experience with Crystal, Regent or Silver Seas and teens? Usually I am not so concerned with our kids social regard, but have come to understand we get more enjoyment and alone time when they are happiley pre occupied and most definetely not interested in spending upwards of 5k per teen to hear how bored they are all day, lol....

To be 100% honest, luxury cruise line passengers are fairly outspoken about wanting as few children as possible on board. When school is in session, there are generally no children sailing on these lines. On the other hand, there are children on board during the summer and during school breaks. The greatest number of children are on the shorter itineraries -- Alaska probably being #1.

We sailed a year ago Christmas when there were 20 children between the ages of 11 and 19 on board. They seemed well behaved the first week. By the second week, passengers were complaining about them hanging out on the stairs, speaking loudly, etc. I felt badly for them because there was absolutely nowhere to "hang out" together on the ship (the ship was Regent's Voyager).

If you are looking for a port intensive cruise where you and the teens will be busy off of the ship all day then spend a leisurely meal together before going to the show and going to bed, it could be a wonderful experience. In terms of hoping there will be "peers" on the same cruise, I wouldn't bet on it.

The ethnic diversity is welcomed as my teens speak French and Spanish. I just can't do another mass market ship and all the inconsistencies, coupled with sales vendors and heards of people.

On our cruise on Riviera we did hear many languages being spoken from all over the world.

If I were you I'd have a chat to your girls and ask them what they thought. I'd also choose one if the larger ships like Marina or Riviera as twice as many passengers mean you are twice as likely to encounter other teens.

Crystal has a kids program on all their trips and the ship is bigger so their is more places to hang out. They have lots going on during the day and two shows at night. They also have a kids area although I am not sure what's there. Down side dress for dinner is more formal and assigned time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify, crystal does not have a kids program on all of their sailings. They typically have the program on selected summer cruises and on the holiday cruises.

Nancy

Just to clarify, crystal does not have a kids program on all of their sailings. They typically have the program on selected summer cruises and on the holiday cruises.

Nancy

So does Oceania. But a kids' program is not for an 18 year old and may or may not geared towards a 15 year old, the ages of the OP's daughters.

Edited by Floridiana

I am afraid I think you definitely need to stick with Celebrity. Take a more expensive cabin if necessary. They have alternative restaurants. Oceania has absolutely NOTHING to do for teenagers and the demographic is much older on Oceania. This is my personal opinion, and I am not one who does not want to cruise with teens...some are. I just honestly believe that Celebrity is best for you at this time of your life.

Caroldoll are you still booked on the Oceania Marina NY-Montreal on May 7? You posted to the roll call but I have not seen your posts lately in that thread. I am trying put together the list of cruisers so just checking.

Thanks!

I was browsing the web and an ad for NCL came up which made me think as it was showing young people enjoying themselves! Some time ago a poster on this board was reviewing NCL's Haven concept. Although I have no experience myself, I did wonder if something like that could be a solution. I'm sure if you do a search you'll come up with the review, which was posted on the Oceania board. The poster enjoyed the quiet and exclusivity of the Haven but went to the evening entertainment in the main part of the ship.

All NCL have the Haven, many carry around 2000 and are not monsters. The maga ships have a restaurant and lounge just fore the Haven. The smaller ships just have a pool and sundeck. At this point all Haven rooms get drinks, any dinning room and OBC credit included. IMO you get the best of both worlds, plenty of space inside and out, great room, great food and the option to take advantage of outstanding events and shows. We each have our owne idea of luxury but after sailing all types I think NCL Haven rooms are the best value for your money, you get luxury plus something to do beside playing trivia and eating.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I also think a Haven room is the better bet for a family with older teens. I think I would have been highly offended at age 18 to be deemed needy of a childrens' program. But the Haven has 2-3 bedroom suites and on NCL your children are far more likely to meet others of their own age. While sometimes it happens on Oceania (depending on time of year and itinerary), it isn't at all common.

Yes, even the smallest NCL ships are twice the size of the Oceania ships, but 2300 isn't that terrible.

Mura

Edited by Mura