SAN PEDRO ..HOTEL transfer HELP??

Arwen

Hubby and I just booked a 10 day (April 6th) Mexico cruise sailing out of L.A.'s San Pedro Cruise Terminal.

We will fly from Seattle to LAX and would like to spend one night pre-cruise (Concourse Hotel near LAX).

After researching...do we reserve for SuperShuttle to pick us up for the transfer to Cruise Terminal? Taxi appears to be very expensive.

Any suggestions? We called the hotel and we can get a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, but not to the cruise terminal (which I know is a good 20 miles away).

We will call our T.A. tomorrow for help. We were hoping to see if Princess offered a one night+transfer package pre-cruise, but their website doesn't show anything.

Hubby and I just booked a 10 day (April 6th) Mexico cruise sailing out of L.A.'s San Pedro Cruise Terminal.

We will fly from Seattle to LAX and would like to spend one night pre-cruise (Concourse Hotel near LAX).

After researching...do we reserve for SuperShuttle to pick us up for the transfer to Cruise Terminal? Taxi appears to be very expensive.

Any suggestions? We called the hotel and we can get a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, but not to the cruise terminal (which I know is a good 20 miles away).

We will call our T.A. tomorrow for help. We were hoping to see if Princess offered a one night+transfer package pre-cruise, but their website doesn't show anything.

Yes , Princess does have a one night hotel with transfers. The cost is about $90 USD , They use the LAX Marriott hotel. He have stayed there about 6 times before cruises . If there aren't enough people using the bus , Princess will supply a Taxi voucher to go to the cruise port.

It isn't on there website , it has to asked for directly or by your TA.

Yes , Princess does have a one night hotel with transfers. The cost is about $90 USD , They use the LAX Marriott hotel. He have stayed there about 6 times before cruises . If there aren't enough people using the bus , Princess will supply a Taxi voucher to go to the cruise port.

It isn't on there website , it has to asked for directly or by your TA.

Isn't that per person?

You should be able to check out the cost for SuperShuttle on its website--the port is an airport in the list--just keep scrolling down. Primetime should be similarly priced.

We usually use ExecuCar for our transfers from our home to LAX and return. It is owned by SuperShuttle.

If you don't have your hotel reservations, you may want to stay in San Pedro, using Priceline for a hotel, 3 plus stars, should get you the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree.

I just checked it our. Prime Time does pick up at LAX hotels. Yours was not on their list, however even days inns were mentioned. The price was $12pp each way rt. I would call them and check it out. After you can find out. you can go to the internet and make a reservation. Their site said you will save 10-15% by using the internet over a call in price.

I would suggest that instead of staying overnight near LAX, that you transfer directly to San Pedro after the plane arrives. There are three suitable hotels there that cater to cruise passengers and offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal. The Crown Plaza and Sunrise are right near the pier in sight of the ship and near a number of restaurants, and the Double Tree is about a mile or so south of the pier by the channel entrance. Group shuttles are available at the airport and can be reserved in advance or are just walk up. You can get a Princess hotel and transfer, but it will probably be more expensive.

In October we bought a package from Crowne Plaza that included transportation from LAX on Prime Time, night at the hotel, two bar drinks that night, breakfast in the morning, transportation to the port (<1 mile) and transportation from the port to LAX on Prime Time.

You can walk from the hotel to the port. We watched the ship arrive that morning from our hotel window. There are several restaurants nearby and a small wine store. The location was perfect for us. BTW they did charge us for our extra bottles of wine which I expected and gladly paid.

You can always use hotel shuttle back and forth to the airport and then use super Shuttle.

That could involve a lot of time to save a few bucks. A taxi or private car would run about $70 including the tip and would take them from the hotel to the pier without making any stops in between or circling the airport looking for more fares. My time, especially my vacation time, is worth the $40-50 difference, which is a rounding error in the cost of many vacations.

I would suggest that instead of staying overnight near LAX, that you transfer directly to San Pedro after the plane arrives. There are three suitable hotels there that cater to cruise passengers and offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal. The Crown Plaza and Sunrise are right near the pier in sight of the ship and near a number of restaurants, and the Double Tree is about a mile or so south of the pier by the channel entrance. Group shuttles are available at the airport and can be reserved in advance or are just walk up. You can get a Princess hotel and transfer, but it will probably be more expensive.

The hotels in San Pedro will be nicer and less expensive than those near LAX - plus you don't have to worry about traffic issues the day of the cruise. Book a hotel in the South West side of town (opposite end of the cruise terminal) which is a much nicer than the East (somewhat rough). We have had friends stay at the Crown Plaza and they thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

Also, San Pedro has any number of excellent Italian or Serbian/Croatian restaurants - the LAX area is largely a culinary desert.

Edited by drgrinch

We drive to San Pedro but use the Crown's park and sail package which includes breakfast, a couple of drinks, onsite parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to/from the ship. It works very well for us and we're quite happy with the hotel.

Of course, the last time they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a full suite. But that doesn't affect our opinion at all. :D

That could involve a lot of time to save a few bucks. A taxi or private car would run about $70 including the tip and would take them from the hotel to the pier without making any stops in between or circling the airport looking for more fares. My time, especially my vacation time, is worth the $40-50 difference, which is a rounding error in the cost of many vacations.

Ditto, I spend too much money for a cruise to skimp with a shuttle.:)

That's our logic, too.

We used Princess transfer one time to and from the airport and we will never use them again! We sat at the airport for 2 hours waiting for a full bus load of people. Going back, we sat in the lounge for over two hours waiting for the bus to be full to go back to the airport. Also, once we reached the pier, we sat on the bus for another 45 minutes waiting for the bus in front of us to unload all the luggage and passengers. Now we take the Super Shuttle, it is much faster, cheaper and reliable - no waiting!

P.S. You might be better off getting a hotel in San Pedro. They will shuttle you to the pier for free, and Super Shuttle will pick you up at the pier when you return to port.

Edited by elliair

San Pedro, or "Pedro" as it is known to longshoremen and street gangs, and hookers, is NO garden spot. Its well known for being a place to get ripped or ripping off someone. It has one advantage, the budget motels rent rooms by the hour! Plenty of liquor stores and bars... Seaport village has seen better days....

You DO NOT want to wander about outside the few hotels there.... After dark its a pretty scary place. Places like Beacon street have a well deserved reputation.

Best deal will be the Marriott, at LAX, take the free shuttle to the hotel. They have 3 great restaurants.... Get a good night sleep and relax I use it all the time...

Then take a private limo to the ship for $70... your schedule not some stop and hop on off shuttle.

If you insist on being at the Harbor, then stay at Long Beach...many great hotels and dining... a TOTAL difference from Pedro.

You can also take a town car for $55 plus tip to the ship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husky61 - Agree on taking a town car LAX to San Pedro. Although I've researched a number of Limo Company's - I really can't find much info on how dependable, etc., Limo Companies are - and reviews are few. So - I know ExecuCar @ $84 + tip one way looks good but what about Craigslimo Limousine Service -or- Standard Limousine Service which are less expensive...any info on these guys -or- your recommendation? Ready to book - appreciate any help.

If you want to book Super Shuttle ahead, I can usually find a coupon for a few dollars off for booking on the internet. Probably the same goes for Prime Time too.

I also think staying near the port at one of the mentioned hotels would be a better bet. We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza a couple of times. Good location with lots of restaurants and other shopping nearby, free shuttle to the port.

If you want to book Super Shuttle ahead, I can usually find a coupon for a few dollars off for booking on the internet. Probably the same goes for Prime Time too.

I also think staying near the port at one of the mentioned hotels would be a better bet. We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza a couple of times. Good location with lots of restaurants and other shopping nearby, free shuttle to the port.

The is a 15% discount on Prime Shuttle is you book through their WEB site.

BTW, DW and our family live in Hildreth.

We always use the Princess transfer unless we get a comp hotel room. I checked Supershuttle yesterday and the rate is only $17 per person LAX to the ship. Good price! For our cruise in October one of our CC persons negotiated a great group price for us at the DoubleTree, including parking for the month for those driving in. The transfer package is still less money.

The reason we like the transfer is that once you get off the plane Princess is there to begin handling everything for you, no schlepping your luggage all over the place. The next morning the bell person picks it up from your room and the next time you see it is in your cabin. We have never had a problem or delay, probably just lucky.