Checked Luggage Received by 8pm?

First time with RCCL, but I'm really surprised about what I noticed on one of the emails I received for my upcoming Allure cruise:

"Pack a small carry-on with the items you'll need right away on the first day, like a change of clothes for dinner. Your tagged luggage will be delivered to your stateroom by 8 p.m., if not earlier."

Is this true? I have only cruised with DCL and I have never packed dinner clothes in my carryon. We always received our luggage in time to change into dinner clothes (we are always on early dining - 5:45pm).

I understand if there are issues with your luggage (ie. if they found something in it that is not permitted) there may be some delay. But has anyone here ever received their luggage at 8pm when there was no issue?

I would prefer not to pack my dinner clothes, but at the same time we will likely be wearing shorts/tshirts and don't want to go to dinner that way, so is this notice just for extreme cases or do you normally get your luggage after early seating?

Thanks for any info.

We've usually received our luggage not long after we've boarded, however, last cruise my husband had his case delivered very quickly but mine didn't appear until around 7pm. Luckily we were late dinner seating, but I started to consider whether my case had made it on to the ship at all. So, for us on the whole, not a problem, just that one incident- and no, I hadn't packed suitable dinner clothes in my carry on!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a CYA note, much like the email that tells you not to arrive at the pier before 1 p.m.

Most luggage will be delivered before dinner. I have had my bag in my cabin as early as 1.

They are just lowering your expectations. That would rather that you be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed.

:)

I always pack what I need for the first day in a carry on(small) just what I cannot live without. ON most cruise lines, dining is not a big deal on the first night, most anything goes. Even our resident fashion police no longer complain about it. LOL

Thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate them.

I may just consider wearing a bit nicer clothes on embarkation, just in case.

I've read that the first night is always casual for dinner.

Our carry ons are always quite small, so I'm pretty sure we won't be able to pack them.

We are always casually dressed for dinner the first night, because even if we've received our luggage, we might not have unpacked it yet. We don't want to miss sail away, going under bridges, sunsets, etc. I've never heard a complaint about anybody's dress on the first night.

Our last 5 or so RCI cruises, we've had our luggage by 2:30, and the last couple by 1:30. The latest we've ever receive our luggage on RCI is about 4. I can't say that for CCL, where we've never received it before 5. I don't carry a change of clothes and if we had to go to dinner in what we board in, we will. We also always cross pack so if we only get one bag, we both have clothes.

Edited by BND

First time with RCCL, but I'm really surprised about what I noticed on one of the emails I received for my upcoming Allure cruise:

Is this true? I have only cruised with DCL and I have never packed dinner clothes in my carryon. We always received our luggage in time to change into dinner clothes (we are always on early dining - 5:45pm).

Thanks for any info.

it can and has taken that long to appear, even if in a suite. which is why we always wear something on board that is acceptable in the MDR for dinner,even though they are far more lenient the first night of this very reason.

possible, very much so. how LIKELY It is, well that is anyone's guess. chances are you will be fine

Most times it comes in the afternoon, but also, depending on if you are even in your room to unpack it, we too also wear something acceptable for dinner. I think only once did we ever have to wait until 8:00 and I want to say it might have been our very first cruise with Carnival. Our last cruise on Explorer in January, we no sooner got into our room and the luggage came. Everything will be fine ... not to worry ... just have fun! :)

Only one time on my Liberty Cruise 2011 did one piece of our luggage not show up before supper time. I wouldn't sweat it though that is one thing I do not pack on my carry on is my dinner clothes if something happens and I don't get it to late. oh well shorts to the MDR :) Always pack my swim suit though

oh my first day normally I wear nice cargo shorts and a collered shirt so it doesn't look super horrible, if it doesn't come until late

Edited by trev71

We got our luggage around 1:30 on our Feb 15 NAV cruise (no where as big as allure!)...but to be prepared just incase, we were clothes suitable for dinner (casual dinner on day 1!) for embarkation and then kept bathing suits and shorts in our carry on since they are much smaller.

To increase your chances of getting your desired clothing - consider if you have 2 pieces of luggage to have enough in each piece to adjust yourselves for dinner.

The possibility that they are dealing with well over 10,000 pieces of luggage on this size of ship makes me want to cut them a little slack. ;) Having said that, on every one of our cruises we've had our bags by 6 pm, Oasis included.

Seriously, I hear so many complaints, but when you think about it, they do an amazing job! And, yes, we've always had ours in time usually to unpack before dinner, do the drill and explore the ship too. The one I think we didn't get it was our first which was the Carnival Imagine years ago ... even then I think it was there after dinner.

Past performance in no indication of future performance. :cool:

I think, because I can't remember, we have always had our luggage before 6pm. It's always been a theory, the earlier you get to the pier the faster you get your luggage.

Having said that, we have quite often sent our cabin attendant in search of our missing luggage.

Thanks Everyone!

It sounds like I don't need to worry about first night dinner attire. But I will still make sure we wear nicer clothes just in case.

I've only cruised 6 times before and all with DCL. There were even a few times our luggage arrived before we went to the stateroom. And I don't recall seeing that suggestion on their website or during check in.

I'm glad I'm aware of it so I don't start panicking if it's late...well, at least not until after 8pm.

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's replies to such a silly question. :)

We sailed on Quantum February 13th and one of our bags didn't get to us till around 8pm due to the poor job the porter at the curb did attaching the RFID tag to the bag. The Royal IQ app tracked one of the bags perfectly, but said the other bag was "in the Turbo Lift". Finally I called Guest Services before we went to dinner and they told me that a few peoples bags had lost their tags and that they were getting it sorted out. When we got back to the room that night it was there. Not a big deal really as it wasn't our garment bag so we had something to change into.

Leaving Seattle for an overnight in anchorage I put the luggage tag on for the cruise the day after....I blame it on jet lag...the bag....a huge bag with all our stuff except for meds,etc....did not show in anchorage....after a couple of hrs waiting I realized what i did....was told no problem the bag most likely went to the cruiseline but no way to know for sure......not very reassuring.....spent the day in Anchorage scrambling to buy a couple of season's worth for the unpredictable weather....didn't find much as it was august...got on the ship and waited and waited....as I had my head in my hands trying to convince myself we could figure it out there was a knock on the and there was the bag at 11:45 pm.......gave that bag to my daughter for her honeymoon and we now only do carryon....

On the Explorer a few years ago I had my big bag go missing and not arrive with our other 3 bags. After inquiring about it we received it at 1am. In that suitcase I had a suit and gown to be pressed for formal night the next evening and because of the late arrival of the bag was not able to send it out that first evening. I ended up having to send it out rush/same day and the fee was comped by RCL due to the bag arriving so late :)

A couple weeks ago on the Liberty we received 3 of our bags (DH suitcase, garmet bag & small wheeled duffle with our shoes) and once again my big suitcase wasn't with the others. I have no idea why it likes to wander away from the others. After the last time it had gone MIA I had learned to pack our clothes mixed together, some in DH's suitcase & some in mine, and also a change of clothing and anything I might want right away in a carry-on so I still had outfits to wear to dinner this time...and the bag wasn't as late, it arrived at 6:30pm just before our 6:45 MTD time :)

Past performance in no indication of future performance. :cool:

I think, because I can't remember, we have always had our luggage before 6pm. It's always been a theory, the earlier you get to the pier the faster you get your luggage.

Having said that, we have quite often sent our cabin attendant in search of our missing luggage.

once, we were literally the first people in line( they would not let our car through the gate as the old Pax were not all off yet. ) as such we were the first people drop off our luggage, the first to check in and literally the first to board that day.

that was the one time our luggage did not arrive until almost 7 pm that night. on GR.. one of the smallest hips the fleet. as I said though, that's never an issue as I am always in pair of khakis in fall/winter and a sudress in Spring/summer and Mr Spook wears khakis pretty moocher round with his Hawaiian shirts.

We generally sail in a Grand Suite. So does my sister. We arrive at the terminal together, and always arrive on the early side, 10:30 to 11:00. She and her boyfriend alway get their luggage early, well before muster, and they unpack and are all set prior to the drill. We always get are luggage late, about 6:00, and have to unpack after dinner.

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when you receive your luggage. As long as it ultimately arrives, which it always has, all is good :)

I've sailed twice on Grandeur & arrived at the port around 10:30. The first time, both bags were in the hall waiting for us when the cabins opened at 1 pm. The second time, one bag was in the hall & the second bag showed up about 30 minutes after we entered our cabin. Both times, we quickly unpacked then explored & did the muster. We did not have to return to the cabin until bedtime. I'm not on vacation to unpack & put things away so as soon as I take care of that the happier I'll be.