NEW Suite Upgrades....

Not too sure where you get the nightly $50 rate for the Unlimited Specialty Doing ( Dining ) from as that seems high to me. :eek:

So let's mathematically consider the Value versus the new price increases.

What is the cost to buy the following a-la-acarte?

Let's work from a 7 day crusie.

• Gratuities for 2 $15.95 x 2 x 7 = $223.30
  • Ultimate bevdrage Package for 2 $55 x 2 x 7 = $770
  • Gratuities included in Beverage Package: $770 x 18% = $138.60
  • VOOM internet $157.50
  • Thermal Spa Pass ??
  • Unlimited specialty doing ; Assume $50 x 2 x 7 = $700

So I calculate $1989.40 without value for spa or the other little perks that rally don't count in adding true value. So let's just call it $1000 per person, $2000 for a canon on 7 nights.

What has been the increase in cabin pricing?

Not too sure where you get the nightly $50 rate for the Unlimited Specialty Doing ( Dining ) from as that seems high to me. :eek:

I am not familiar with RCL, I based it on Celebrity specialties, and it includes lunches too, on X, Specialty is $45 for dinner, lunches $10 or $25 depending on which lunch you take.

So $50 is in the middle: I figure.

My next Crusie on X I'm planning a "progressive" specialty dining dinner for a group of us. Apps in the french inspired restaurant, dinner in the Suite restaurant, deserts in Qsine, after dinner drinks in Cellalr Masters. This would involve 2 $45 covers per person.

Edited by cle-guy

RCI are using a $20 per person per night rate for the 'Ultimate Dining Package' they are testing on Freedom, Liberty and Jewel.

They do not include Chef's Table or Mystery Dinner Theater.

This package must be purchased by the 2nd night of the sailing and therefore costs $140 from day 1 or $120 from day 2.

So let's mathematically consider the Value versus the new price increases.

What is the cost to buy the following a-la-acarte?

[*]Thermal Spa Pass ??

What has been the increase in cabin pricing?

The Thermal Suite currently lists for $149 for a solo, but is often priced at $119 or even $99 if they are having a very special promo.

I have seen the couples pass for the Thermal suite as low as $149 and as high as $229.

I'm not really concerned about the prices exactly, it's more about the perceived value. I had been waiting for the enhanced suite program, but it still seems like a bit of a let-down compared to what NCL offers, especially when you take in the price difference you need to pay in order to get butler on RCCL.

I was tempted enough by NCL to take a look at some youtube videos. Quite frankly, it only took a few looks to turn me off. The balconies for most NCL suites are simply too small to persuade me to book.

I was tempted enough by NCL to take a look at some youtube videos. Quite frankly, it only took a few looks to turn me off. The balconies for most NCL suites are simply too small to persuade me to book.

Balconies are small, but you have the entire private Haven area if you want to be outside. We don't spend a lot of time on our balcony, so it doesn't bother us. There are Haven aft suites with large balconies and some of the higher suites have huge balconies.

I'll take the smaller balcony if it means having the entire Haven area (restaurant, lounge, courtyard, sundeck, pool) and a butler for all suites over a large balcony a fewer exclusive areas and a butler for only the high-end suites.

So RCI have created premium and standard class ships.. Those of us in Oz will be tantalized in Dec16 with a short season from Ovation of the seas.. Then back to voyager and vision class ships.. Will be interesting to see what they do because it's a complete disregard for one of the fastest growing cruise markets in the world.

You're hardly alone in that boat (ship?), it appears the way things are written that aside from the Royal Suite, if you're on a Voyager, Radiance or even Freedom class ship the best you can get is Sky Class. The only extra things we'd be getting seem to be the comped internet, the pillow top mattress, and Coastal Kitchen-- assuming it's added to those classes of ship.

Unless they go seriously re-doing some cabins on those ships next time they hit drydock, it kind-of does create a two-tier system.

I know first time we ended up in an OS, it was like "geez, we could've packed my CAR and still had room leftover." When you start getting into the 900+ square feet of some of those loft suites, for 2? I like the stuff that comes with Star class but that's a LOT of real estate for 2 people for a week.

Okay...even though I said I wasn't going to, I'm pricing RCCL Caribbean cruises for 2017.

If I have three people, what options are available to me that fall into the Star Suite level that have two bedrooms or sleep three? I see there are a few that sleep three, but we would prefer a separate bedroom. I'm new to RCCL, so trying to navigate the different suite names and have them correspond to a level is still a bit confusing to me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

And as an FYI for my pricing so far for two people for the last two weeks of February 2017...

NCL Escape 2-bedroom Haven suite (for 2 people) is running $3,620 to $3,760/person. One of those weeks has the third person free.

NCL Getaway 2-bedroom Haven suite (for 2 people) is running $3,430/person. One of those weeks has the third person free.

RCCL Oasis Class Sky Loft Suite on various ships is running from $4,600 to $5,900/person. That seems to be the least expensive suite that falls into the highest tier (which includes the butler that we want).

I'm not sure that the extra money is worth it. The RCCL perks aren't blowing me away and the options seem to limited if we want to do three comfortably in a cabin. I can do a 2-bedroom suite in the Haven and get all of the available perks (minus the 3 bottles of alcohol/limo ride to the ship which are only offered to the very highest of the suites) for less than RCCL.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'd love to cruise on RCCL, but am not seeing the how the new perks will work for us.

Brookie848. Go to the attached link to post # 576. I have attached photos of SLS 1720. On that page and the next page of that thread I answered questions another CC had about the SLS. If you are considering 1718 it has a different configeration but is very compriable. 1720 is our favourite

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1915668&page=29

Hope it helps, and if you have any questions let me know.

You're hardly alone in that boat (ship?), it appears the way things are written that aside from the Royal Suite, if you're on a Voyager, Radiance or even Freedom class ship the best you can get is Sky Class. The only extra things we'd be getting seem to be the comped internet, the pillow top mattress, and Coastal Kitchen-- assuming it's added to those classes of ship.

Unless they go seriously re-doing some cabins on those ships next time they hit drydock, it kind-of does create a two-tier system.

I know first time we ended up in an OS, it was like "geez, we could've packed my CAR and still had room leftover." When you start getting into the 900+ square feet of some of those loft suites, for 2? I like the stuff that comes with Star class but that's a LOT of real estate for 2 people for a week.

Our RS on Serenade has 1150 sqft for two people. That's 106 square meters for the rest of the world. That cabin is set up for just two. To bad no new perks

I have also looked at Haven on the NCL page.

About that Haven pool area...are children allowed? On RC I enjoy their generous balconies and the adults-only Solarium.

Yes...children are allowed. On the newer ships (Epic, Getaway, Escape, Breakaway) the only 2-bedroom suites are in the Haven. So you're going to have kids there (but a good many are filled with adults). On our cruises, we've never had an issue with kids.

The Haven pools are tiny, though. I'm going to pretend otherwise.

On the Epic, Haven guests have access to Posh, which is an adults-only sundeck. There is a bar there (but no pool or hot tubs). On the other three ships, there is Vibe, which is an extra charge for all guests (limited number of passes sold). It is also adults-only with hot tubs and a bar.

All of the newer ships have SpiceH20, which is adult-only and at the back of the ship.

Brookie848. Go to the attached link to post # 576. I have attached photos of SLS 1720. On that page and the next page of that thread I answered questions another CC had about the SLS. If you are considering 1718 it has a different configeration but is very compriable. 1720 is our favourite

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1915668&page=29

Hope it helps, and if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for this -- it is very helpful. And the suite is absolutely beautiful. The 2-bedroom we stay in is not nearly that elaborate. We'll have to discuss if we want a more awesome suite but with fewer perks than we are getting now on NCL. Plus...yeah...the price. That's my husband's division. I do research, present the information and he buys! :D

And part of it will depend on whether or not our friend travels with us -- that is why the 2-bedrooms are nice. She has her own little area to herself.

Balconies are small, but you have the entire private Haven area if you want to be outside. We don't spend a lot of time on our balcony, so it doesn't bother us. There are Haven aft suites with large balconies and some of the higher suites have huge balconies.

I'll take the smaller balcony if it means having the entire Haven area (restaurant, lounge, courtyard, sundeck, pool) and a butler for all suites over a large balcony a fewer exclusive areas and a butler for only the high-end suites.

We spend hours on our balcony so small balconies are a deal killer which is a shame because the rest of the NCL suite program is very attractive.

FWIW, we don't think the new suite perks are not all that perky either. Unless you're booking star level suites, there really isn't anything worth getting excited about.

Edited by RocketMan275

I'm not sure the prices you're seeing are a result of the new perks. I just priced out an L1 on a Oasis for October 2016 and it's the same price as my October 2015 L1. I also priced out a February 2016 and February 2017 L1 and the 2017 was much cheaper. If you're struggling with the pricing, just go with your gut feeling. I've never sailed NCL but it sure sound like the better bargain.

L1 is probably a poor example since that category already gets gold card perks and will now be Sky Class. When I compare the current gold card perks with the new Sky Class perks, I do not see any differences that have significant value. IMHO, that illustrates the real problem with Royal Suite Class. The only benefits that were not available before and that have any real value are the Star Class benefits and only one half of one percent of the rooms on each ship are Star Class. By comparison, about 7.5% of the rooms on Cunard are in Queens Grill Class. Even on a 4-class long haul jetliner, 2% of the seats are usually in first class. Star Class gets nearly all of the new perks and it is just too rarified!

Edited by actuarian

I'm not really concerned about the prices exactly, it's more about the perceived value. I had been waiting for the enhanced suite program, but it still seems like a bit of a let-down compared to what NCL offers, especially when you take in the price difference you need to pay in order to get butler on RCCL.

May I ask you a question? Since it seems that your #1 priority for suite perks is to have a butler, can you please tell me what you use a butler for on a 7 day cruise? I'm serious, for the life of me I can't figure out what I would do with a butler. Just curious, thanks.

Carla

Edited by golfpccc

May I ask you a question? Since it seems that your #1 priority for suite perks is to have a butler, can you please tell me what you use a butler for on a 7 day cruise? I'm serious, for the life of me I can't figure out what I would do with a butler. Just curious, thanks.

Carla

For me, schedule breakfast delivery daily, to be delivered in cabin even if I am still asleep, enter room, leave the meal and leave the room. Normal room service staff won't do this.

Likewise I like a late night snack, so he knows to leave me a shrimp platter or cheese and cracker plate as his last duty at night so when I come back in the evening, I have a snack waiting.

Butler can handle all necessary dinner and show reservations, just tell him and it's done, no phone calls or forms or lines.

Butler also will keep mini bar stocked with favorite drinks, ensure necessary requested drink garnishes are in place, ensure necessary glassware is there.

Butler just provides a far more personalized service that a cabin steward can do.

IN essence, the cabin steward takes care of the cabin, the Butler takes care of of us as individuals.

Te butler is "always around" where the cabin steward is tending to specific duties that take a lot of time, and leaves them little time for small requests. So the butler can handle extra blanket,s pillows etc. Need a button sewn, butler will handle. need pressing done today for formal night tonight, he will handle it so it doesn't get lost in the 24 hour laundry cycle.

Butler will arrange cocktail parties and gatherings for the suite guest to entertain They will circulate int eh carbon, grabbing used glassware, poring drinks etc. It makes having social gatherings in big suites an amazing experience.

I often host gatherings for people on my role calls, or host my cabin as part of the Cabin Crawl, and butler always arranges a nice array of snacks and drinks for the groups that come through. They love setting up parties, and go beyond anything I would have done on my own. It makes a memorable experience for me and all those who get to come and experience it.

Lack of the butler is why I haven't yet sailed RCL ships.

Edited by cle-guy

HI, Had a butler on Celebrity once. Really, I agree with you. What do you do with one ? (a butler). You have a cabin attendant, room service to serve afternoon tea and snacks, a concierge to arrange everything for you, we really did not know what to do with him. And.. our cruise was to Alaska so was very port intensive. We had him arrange one party in our suite for us, but really did not need to do that, as concierge would have done. It all sounds good until you think about it really!

I have also looked at Haven on the NCL page.

About that Haven pool area...are children allowed? On RC I enjoy their generous balconies and the adults-only Solarium.

Yes, they're allowed. There have been some highly critical threads of loud children in a the small Haven area. Also some criticism of certain parents relying upon the butler to supervise their children while they're elsewhere.

For me, schedule breakfast delivery daily, to be delivered in cabin even if I am still asleep, enter room, leave the meal and leave the room. Normal room service staff won't do this.

Likewise I like a late night snack, so he knows to leave me a shrimp platter or cheese and cracker plate as his last duty at night so when I come back in the evening, I have a snack waiting.

Butler can handle all necessary dinner and show reservations, just tell him and it's done, no phone calls or forms or lines.

Butler also will keep mini bar stocked with favorite drinks, ensure necessary requested drink garnishes are in place, ensure necessary glassware is there.

Butler just provides a far more personalized service that a cabin steward can do.

IN essence, the cabin steward takes care of the cabin, the Butler takes care of of us as individuals.

Te butler is "always around" where the cabin steward is tending to specific duties that take a lot of time, and leaves them little time for small requests. So the butler can handle extra blanket,s pillows etc. Need a button sewn, butler will handle. need pressing done today for formal night tonight, he will handle it so it doesn't get lost in the 24 hour laundry cycle.

Butler will arrange cocktail parties and gatherings for the suite guest to entertain They will circulate int eh carbon, grabbing used glassware, poring drinks etc. It makes having social gatherings in big suites an amazing experience.

I often host gatherings for people on my role calls, or host my cabin as part of the Cabin Crawl, and butler always arranges a nice array of snacks and drinks for the groups that come through. They love setting up parties, and go beyond anything I would have done on my own. It makes a memorable experience for me and all those who get to come and experience it.

Thanks for your response, I still don't know what "I" would do with a butler...LOL. Guess we are just very low maintenance people, 60+ cruises and have never requested room service, never used the mini bar, never used the coffee pot, etc. My DH loves to get up in the morning and go fetch coffee for his bride. To us, the joy of cruising is meeting new people, hence we eat breakfast every morning in the dining room or special dining area. Have been to parties in The Royal Suite where all you mentioned was handled by the bar staff and the Concierge. I guess if you were doing a lot of entertaining a Butler might be nice. I'm just happy there are people that appreciate having a butler and willing to pay the price to have the service.

I will just be so happy to be off work for a week and be on this huge ship with my husband of 25 years in a JS that I'm not Gona worry about who gets what. Bring on the sun the beach and the drink package. Sailing September 11,2016 on the Allure

So, I think it sounds incredible, just one question: how much do you give a butler at the end of the cruise?

So, I think it sounds incredible, just one question: how much do you give a butler at the end of the cruise?

On X, the daily gratuity is increased by $3.50 per day to cover the Butler. SO you pay the normal set of gratuities for a suite and F&B and Cabin steward, and an additional $350 pp day for butler.

X has 3 gratuity levels, Standard, Aqua and Concierge, and Suite.

I tip $50 extra for each event I host, but rarely any above the daily standard amount unless I get really above board service.

Carla

It is by no means my #1 priority. Cle-guy gives a good idea of what the butlers can do for you on Celebrity. Norwegian is similar, with a few differences.

My reason for the fixation on the butler is that we have been waiting for these upgrades and I really feel that the butler is something that should have been offered at all levels. Like many have said, I think a lot of the other perks are just a bit blah. I think if you are paying the price for a suite on a cruise line that is trying to make suite customers feel special, then butlers just have that factor to them.

And the funny thing is, we only really use our butler for the afternoon snacks they deliver and to keep our fruit bowl replenished with our requests. On NCL, room service in suites is done by the butler, not room service. They handle anything you might want in the cabin. There is a separate concierge staff to handle reservations, checking you in for flights, escorting you off the ship, and seating you early for shows.

I just like the idea of having a butler and knowing that if we want dinner served in our suite from a specialty restaurant (or different things from different specialties), then it is taken care of for us. The butlers we've had have been pro-active (as have the concierge staff), asking us if we need anything especially if we haven't called on them for a day or two.

I'm definitely still considering a cruise on Royal. It's just something I had hoped would be a slam dunk, as opposed to having to weigh the pluses and minuses for us.

Thanks for this -- it is very helpful. And the suite is absolutely beautiful. The 2-bedroom we stay in is not nearly that elaborate. We'll have to discuss if we want a more awesome suite but with fewer perks than we are getting now on NCL. Plus...yeah...the price. That's my husband's division. I do research, present the information and he buys! :D

And part of it will depend on whether or not our friend travels with us -- that is why the 2-bedrooms are nice. She has her own little area to herself.

Glad to help. We love the aft balcony on the SLS that you saw the pics of. I understand the idea of a separate room for your friend, and "space" for you.

As for planning in our house I pick the ship, the cabin and route and pester my wife until she gives in. Our marriage is based on compromise.:p