WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

I am leaving on the Vision OTS in a little over a week. I noticed that the drink packages are more per day (about $9 more per day) for each package than they were a few months ago. The Premium package is now $58 per person. It was around $49 per day just a little bit ago.

I still haven't bought one because I know I won't even come close to breaking even, but I was surprised to see the price hike.

Yes, but they've hiked the on board drink prices by quite a bit as an extra incentive to buy the package. Just one more step in moving towards all-inclusive.

I am leaving on the Vision OTS in a little over a week. I noticed that the drink packages are more per day (about $9 more per day) for each package than they were a few months ago. The Premium package is now $58 per person. It was around $49 per day just a little bit ago.

I still haven't bought one because I know I won't even come close to breaking even, but I was surprised to see the price hike.

If you go into your cruise planner & try to purchase, you'll see the breakdown. The increase is the 3% gratuity increase. I don't know why, but it seems some cruises show the price with gratuity & others don't.

I once asked the F&B Manager on a Royal ship why they charged so much for drinks, my argument was that if prices were cheaper people would spend more in the bars....his reply was we keep the prices high so we don't get too many drunks....its for the passengers protection. :eek:

Wonder how many drunks they get now with the All Inclusive Packages....:rolleyes:

I had the exact same thought. Booze cruise anyone?

If the extra goes toward the gratuity I feel much better about it, especially if the servers actually get the gratuity.

The $10 $12 $14 or $16 goes to RCI, its only the 18% on top that goes into the tip pool.

So if the drink packages include a "service charge" which is for gratuities should you still tip when you get a drink? Considering now it has increased recently.

What are peoples thoughts on this

I do. The bartender is probably struggling to support his/her family back home. I feel that cash can be put into their pocket to support their lives. I hope the price increase does not translate into the workers actually making less money while the parent company gets richer. Cheers "down under".:)

So if the drink packages include a "service charge" which is for gratuities should you still tip when you get a drink? Considering now it has increased recently.

It all depends on the service. I use to give an extra buck to the bartenders and an extra 2 bucks if a server brought me the drink. But with the advent of the drink packages I believe it is harder to find a bar server. On my last cruise in August, it was darn near Impossible to get a drink in the dining room. There were very few servers around the pool also. I know I can go to the bar and order a drink, but I'm on vacation, I prefer to be served. But back to your original question,, I think 18% on top of the inflated drink price, is probably enough, unless you get exemplary service.

We will continue to leave an additional $1 a drink.

The packages include the tip for the servers of 18%.

It's totally up to you whether you want to pay an additional tip over and above this.

It's now $57.82+18%=$68.22 per day.

I just purchased it through the website for my next cruise and it's $57.82 a day ($49 + 18%). That's what the website said and that's what was charged to my credit card... I'm not sure why you think it's $57.82 + 18%... :confused:

Yes, but they've hiked the on board drink prices by quite a bit as an extra incentive to buy the package. Just one more step in moving towards all-inclusive.

They will never go all-inclusive; they make too much money charging extra for it. In addition, it would require them to raise the base fare making it harder to compete with other lines. Already Carnival and NCL offer lower prices for similar itineraries. If RCI was to bundle in the drink package, they would lose customers, especially those who don't drink or don't drink much.

Think of the airlines; they could/should include baggage fees in their fares. However, by removing the baggage, they've actually become more competitive price-wise and one of the CEOs even acknowledged that they did it to be more competitive when people are searching for fares online as they often don't consider the cost of baggage as part of the overall costs when shopping for the best fare. In addition, JetBlue's stock went up when they announced they were going to charge for baggage as this signaled additional revenue for the airline to the investors.

If anything, I foresee the added fees going up. I wouldn't be surprised at some point if they don't start charging for excessive baggage handling.

You are correct, though, that this pushes people towards the package. It's like Disney raising their one-day prices. It seems excessive; however, most people don't pay $100+ a day for their ticket. They're buying a multiday ticket that drops the cost to $58 per day or so. By jacking up drink prices, Royal is making the package seem like a better deal as it use to take 6-7 drinks to break even. Now, it could be as few as 4, which might entice the casual drinker who otherwise wouldn't have bought the package.

I also wonder if the increase in prices is meant to satisfy the servers. With increased drink prices comes increased gratuities since it is based on the price of the drink. We've heard reports of servers not liking the drink package, so I'm wondering if this is an attempt by Royal to help supplement some of the lost tips as I'm assuming that while the servers are tipped, they're not receiving a full 18% of every drink purchased using the package.

I also wonder if the increase in prices is meant to satisfy the servers. With increased drink prices comes increased gratuities since it is based on the price of the drink. We've heard reports of servers not liking the drink package, so I'm wondering if this is an attempt by Royal to help supplement some of the lost tips as I'm assuming that while the servers are tipped, they're not receiving a full 18% of every drink purchased using the package.

Except now the bar servers don't like the new bland, limited drink menus that are showing up in every bar fleetwide. One, since they don't show many options (and no pictures) it doesn't encourage casual drinkers to try new things or be spontaneously tempted by a picture of a colorful tropical drink. Two, since the prices of the drinks have gone up so much so fast, casual drinkers are not buying nearly as many drinks. Both have already led to less tips for the servers. At least that's the story we continually heard recently on Legend.

I do. The bartender is probably struggling to support his/her family back home. I feel that cash can be put into their pocket to support their lives. I hope the price increase does not translate into the workers actually making less money while the parent company gets richer. Cheers "down under".:)

I don't want to sound mean, but I think it is the cruise lines responsibility to make sure their employees make enough money to live on, hence the increase in gratuities. We are beer drinkers and beer prices went up $.75 per bottle, that's about a 15% increase. How much of that do you think got passed on to the bar staff? That increase is more than I pay for the bottle at home. If they were worried about their employees income, they should drop the price which should greatly increase the sales. I no longer am willing to pay that price, on vacation or not.

I don't want to sound mean, but I think it is the cruise lines responsibility to make sure their employees make enough money to live on, hence the increase in gratuities.

Then the cruise line should, and this is a radical idea, GIVE THEM A RAISE! :rolleyes:

They can raise the gratuity to 40%, if the drink prices are too high and no one buys any guess what, the server gets less money. Costs the cruise line NOTHING. If you think the cruise line has a responsibility to pay their workers more...guess what, they should pay their workers more in a guaranteed form.

Then the cruise line should, and this is a radical idea, GIVE THEM A RAISE! :rolleyes:

They can raise the gratuity to 40%, if the drink prices are too high and no one buys any guess what, the server gets less money. Costs the cruise line NOTHING. If you think the cruise line has a responsibility to pay their workers more...guess what, they should pay their workers more in a guaranteed form.

If the cruise line gives the workers a raise, it will be the passengers who pay for it one way or another. If it is not drink prices that rise it will be the cruise fare. Unfortunately they got us either way. The only options people have if the aren't happy is to travel with a different line or don't travel at all.

My husband came back to the room with 2 delicious amaretto sours for us to enjoy on the balcony. Tossed me the bill and said 'happy birthday'. Over $25!! U.S. We're Canadian. With the exchange rate that's over $32! Needless to say, that was our 1st and last mixed drink of the trip. Hubby stuck to beer and I waited for Diamond time. We also took advantage of the cheaper booze in ports more this trip.

My husband came back to the room with 2 delicious amaretto sours for us to enjoy on the balcony. Tossed me the bill and said 'happy birthday'. Over $25!! U.S. We're Canadian. With the exchange rate that's over $32! Needless to say, that was our 1st and last mixed drink of the trip. Hubby stuck to beer and I waited for Diamond time. We also took advantage of the cheaper booze in ports more this trip.

This is exactly what we do. We used to spend about $150-$200 per cruise, besides the free drinks for being Diamond, not anymore.

They will never go all-inclusive; they make too much money charging extra for it. In addition, it would require them to raise the base fare making it harder to compete with other lines. Already Carnival and NCL offer lower prices for similar itineraries. If RCI was to bundle in the drink package, they would lose customers, especially those who don't drink or don't drink much.

Except they are already doing this in the UK. Most cruises booked so far this year have had the base price increased and the Select drinks package included. Next years cruises which have just gone on sale also have drinks packages included - either Select or Premium depending on what room you book.