WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

If they raised the prices for individual drinks, did they also raise the prices for the drink packages?

Yes, but not really. The base rate is the same but gratuity went up by 3% (to 18%). So, yes, the net cost is higher.

People in the UK are now being faced with high prices for RC cruises. Most now have a drinks package attached. What about the people that do not drink, for one reason or another. (I do not drink because of medical reasons)we are going to be subsidising those that do. I have nothing against people drinking, but I do not see why I should have to pay for it.

Perhaps what should happen is that there should be 2 prices one with drinks, 1 without.

People in the UK are now being faced with high prices for RC cruises. Most now have a drinks package attached. What about the people that do not drink, for one reason or another. (I do not drink because of medical reasons)we are going to be subsidising those that do. I have nothing against people drinking, but I do not see why I should have to pay for it.

Perhaps what should happen is that there should be 2 prices one with drinks, 1 without.

I've been wondering this myself, but I think the nonalcoholic drinks are also included.

On Celebrity, I asked for the price w/o the drink package and it was the same.

Compare this to a land based all-inclusive resort. The price includes all meals and drinks. Yes, many people at all-inclusive land resorts drink alcohol, but many also do not -- they enjoy all sorts of non-alcoholic beverages, including the non-alcoholic version of many mixed frozen drinks. So, yes, in a way a non-drinker would be subsidizing the drinker, but similarly a light eater is already subsidizing one who has 4-6 lobsters on lobster night, or a vegetarian is subsidizing those who love the steaks and prime rib nights. It all averages out.

There was a land-based resort we started going to about 20 years ago. Eventually, they offered an all-inclusive package, great price, how nice!

At first, I wondered where all the servers went, the ones who used to circulate around the pool area asking if you wanted to order anything, but of course I quickly realized that was not a winning business model for an all-inclusive resort.

It's just a different vacation. I will miss many aspects of the "old" RCCL, but there are indeed some benefits to the new all-inclusive model. It's just different.

Mary

I've been wondering this myself, but I think the nonalcoholic drinks are also included.

On Celebrity, I asked for the price w/o the drink package and it was the same.

That's because it's built into the price, it's not an option. If you don't drink, you have two options: 1) don't order any drinks, or 2) don't book the cruise, which is our option.

According to financials, RCL's profit for 2014 was the highest it's been in years. You don't reach that by giving everyone free drinks.

Back in Jan/Feb, that is exactly what RCI (UK) did.

When you searched for a cruise there were green ticket prices and blue ticket prices. One was the base fare and the other the 'all inclusive' fare.

The difference in price was very transparent. You could see how much the 'all in deal' was costing you.

You were getting the drinks package at a discounted rate of between 10-50% off the standard package price.

At the time I thought it was a good idea. Now they are back to a single pricing format again. :mad:

P.S.

If they included the package at a discounted rate, like above, on a reasonable base fare, I would go for it.

At the current per drink rate we will be drinking much less.

Edited by icsys

I will miss many aspects of the "old" RCCL, but there are indeed some benefits to the new all-inclusive model. It's just different.

I think you're way off with your claims of RCI moving (or already moved) to an all-inclusive model. As a matter of fact, with the constant increase in up-charge specialty dining, and elimination of the MDR with Dynamic Dining they're moving in the exact opposite direction.

This is just another variation of the endless "sales" that they keep doing & changing every few weeks or months. Wait a bit, it will be replaced by the NEXT WOW sale.

I think you're way off with your claims of RCI moving (or already moved) to an all-inclusive model. As a matter of fact, with the constant increase in up-charge specialty dining, and elimination of the MDR with Dynamic Dining they're moving in the exact opposite direction.

As has been noted by a number of people, in the UK they have pretty much already moved to the All Inclusive model - cruises are sold mostly with the drinks package included these days over here.

Secondly DD gives you as much FOC choice as MDR, with five or six free restaurants to choose from, and the menus now changing after 6 days - so even on a two week cruise you would never have the same menu twuce unless you chose to eat in the same restaurant more than twice in ine week.

As for the speciality chargeable restaurants, pretty much all cruise lines are going this way as people are attracted by the big name chefs - but those names come at a premium.

As has been noted by a number of people, in the UK they have pretty much already moved to the All Inclusive model - cruises are sold mostly with the drinks package included these days over here.

And are they sold with all the specialty restaurants included too? Nope, didn't think so.

Secondly DD gives you as much FOC choice as MDR, with five or six free restaurants to choose from, and the menus now changing after 6 days - so even on a two week cruise you would never have the same menu twuce unless you chose to eat in the same restaurant more than twice in ine week.

I didn't say that DD constitutes a move to ala carte. But many agree with me that it is a significant step in that direction. They can't just institute it overnight, customers would revolt. But come back and check in 5-10 years, I predict that 10 years now the buffet will likely be the only included venue available.

As for the speciality chargeable restaurants, pretty much all cruise lines are going this way as people are attracted by the big name chefs - but those names come at a premium.

Gee, I guess I missed something somewhere. Can you enlighten me as to who the big name chef is who attracts people to Chops - or Izumi - or Sabor - or Giovanni's?

Just to continue my comparison with land based all-inclusive resorts, many in my experience also have options to pay an extra fee for an upscale restaurant, or to pay more for premium drinks. The base all-inclusive price includes access to the buffets, some themed restaurants, well drinks, beer, wine, many "foo foo" drinks, soda, juice, bottled water.

Some specialty restaurants in this model have an upcharge; others are on a reservation system that limits the number of specialty restaurants available - everyone can't eat in an included specialty every night, they get booked up. I've seen it done both ways.

So, having adding charge specialty restaurants available while MDR (or DD), Windjammer, some other venues (Sorrento's, Park Cafe, etc) and most drinks are included in the base price fits nicely within the all-inclusive model.

Mary

My husband came back to the room with 2 delicious amaretto sours for us to enjoy on the balcony. Tossed me the bill and said 'happy birthday'. Over $25!! U.S. We're Canadian. With the exchange rate that's over $32! Needless to say, that was our 1st and last mixed drink of the trip. Hubby stuck to beer and I waited for Diamond time. We also took advantage of the cheaper booze in ports more this trip.

Wow, that is steep for just two drinks! :(

I may only have 3-4 glasses of wine the wine the whole cruise! So RCI doesn't make a lot of money off of me on drinks. May just cut that down do 2-3 with the new prices. :). I don't mind spending money on something that is worth it, but I don't like feeling gouged/ripped off.

Edited by rudikins

I feel this way everyday in America when I look at what I pay in taxes, as I see people that I take care of in the hospital, with free phones and abusing their free healthcare.

Many colleges and Universities charge a fee for gym/fitness facilities. There are a lot of similar examples everywhere you go. It's just how it is.

Wow, that is steep for just two drinks! :(

I may only have 3-4 glasses of wine the wine the whole cruise! So RCI doesn't make a lot of money off of me on drinks. May just cut that down do 2-3 with the new prices. :). I don't mind spending money on something that is worth it, but I don't like feeling gouged/ripped off.

And that is exactly the sentiment of 90% of the posters here, not counting a few who just like to argue. It's not that people don't want to pay (well, maybe they don't really, but they're willing) as long as prices are reasonable and fair. Sure the prices are comparable to some high end places, but not all. Just because a mixed drinks at a handful of places around the country are similar it really is not the experience of 90% of the country. It just isn't.

Other people's reasoning is "well, you don't have to drink , nobody is making you, if you can't afford the booze, you can't afford to cruise". Maybe they're right, but that's not what the issue is.

Oh well....from the start till now, I don't really think there's a whole lot of thoughtful conversation left....I think everything has been said that's been needed to...any further discussion is beating a dead horse.....but lets keep it going. It's only saturday :D

And that is exactly the sentiment of 90% of the posters here, not counting a few who just like to argue. It's not that people don't want to pay (well, maybe they don't really, but they're willing) as long as prices are reasonable and fair. Sure the prices are comparable to some high end places, but not all. Just because a mixed drinks at a handful of places around the country are similar it really is not the experience of 90% of the country. It just isn't.

Other people's reasoning is "well, you don't have to drink , nobody is making you, if you can't afford the booze, you can't afford to cruise". Maybe they're right, but that's not what the issue is.

Oh well....from the start till now, I don't really think there's a whole lot of thoughtful conversation left....I think everything has been said that's been needed to...any further discussion is beating a dead horse.....but lets keep it going. It's only saturday :D

Well said.

Its Sunday here. And if you think out side the American experience the prices you are quoting for drinks are not that bad for an Australian . But then we tax alcohol a whole lot here. Its the conversion rate that makes it expensive for Aussies

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

We went out to eat last night at a really nice place. It was happy hour and a 16 oz Bud was $2 plus 20% tip made it $2.40. The exact same drink on the ship is $5.50 plus 20% tip made it $6.60. That is excessive. I like my beer as much as the next guy but not at that price, vacation or not. Alcohol does not enhance the cruise so we'll just go without.

hmmm, can't remember what we've been paying for beer at our favorite Friday night place, it's casual, but a bit upscale. I know it's more then $2 for a beer; I'm thinking around $4 or 5 but honestly may be off a bit (maybe it's lower than that). Wines are $6-10 a glass; name brand freshly mixed drinks are $8-10. Tips on top of that.

Their prices seem reasonable for the area. How does that compare to prices aboard the ships?

Mary

hmmm, can't remember what we've been paying for beer at our favorite Friday night place, it's casual, but a bit upscale. I know it's more then $2 for a beer; I'm thinking around $4 or 5 but honestly may be off a bit (maybe it's lower than that). Wines are $6-10 a glass; name brand freshly mixed drinks are $8-10. Tips on top of that.

Their prices seem reasonable for the area. How does that compare to prices aboard the ships?

Mary

The $2 was the "happy hour" price, from 4pm to 7pm. Other times it's $3.50 for 16 oz aluminum bottle.

Did you go there in a time machine?

Nope It was happy hour so they were $ 1.75 each.

Normally they are $3.50 each all day every day.

there are lots of places around here where drinks are under $5

They have those 10 oz buds bottles for a dollar. I don't drink beer so i'm not sure if's thats good,

So you can see when people start talking about $900 drink packages being a good deal I freak out.

Edited by Bases5

Nope It was happy hour so they were $ 1.75 each.

Normally they are $3.50 each all day every day.

there are lots of places around here where drinks are under $5

They have those 10 oz buds bottles for a dollar. I don't drink beer so i'm not sure if's thats good,

So you can see when people start talking about $900 drink packages being a good deal I freak out.

That's a bargain