Has anyone else stopped recommending RCI to people?

Now in the welcome back party I understand why there are

( This is not an exact math but an estimate )

100 gold

17 platinum

4 emerald

1 diamond

And I will stop there because unless super Mario is onboard I barely see any one above diamond in my ship. I sincerely believe that the more you cruise with royal the less likely you are going to take a cruise with them again. There a few exceptions in the rule but I stand by my idea

Of just look around on embarkation day, gold section is full and the higher you look in the crown and anchor category the less people will be in each section waiting for embarkation.

I booked a NCL cruise on TG weekend. I did a mock booking and full price analysis of 4 different ships, all with the same stops (except a different private island). It was a very complicated process. I had to make it match apples to apples. Everyone had a different sale going on.

Majesty = $804

Enchantment = $1004

NCL = $735

Carnival = $850.00

I had to compare a "complete" package with tips/taxes/unlimited drinks because NCL had free drinks in their promotion.

All ships are extremely similar and NCL wins. I booked them mainly because I wanted to try something outside of RCL for a quick cruise.

I will always recomend RCCL for a week long cruise on a big ship, but when it comes the smaller trips, I will test the waters with NCL.

I might add that most people only look at a cruise price and say Carnival is cheapest. They are the cheapest in quality and service but they are not always the cheapest in price.

RCI's newest promotion is hardly giving the alcohol away. In order to take advantage of the buy one beverage package get the next one half off, you have to pay full price for the cabin.

So your really not saving anything at all, and basically buying the UBP at full price.

I rather not have all the pricing games. Just give me the straight story. I already decided that we are sailing the Oasis, it just became a matter of how.

I think the fact that people can place a deposit down at first and pay over time, allows RCI (and other cruise lines) to do pricing gimmicks. People realize they are paying more than they should, but they have a long time to pay it off and budget for it.

This is good to know, we always buy one alcohol package. This time I was gonna wait til onboard to get the deal, oh well. We use the LE discount so never pay full fare

We do recommend RCL to some people, depending on age.

Edited by rdsxgrl28
additional

In the spring, we tried Princess/Celebrity B2B, and found Celebrity's Concierge Class service better than Princess. DH didn't care at all for the elevator (one of two to the MDR) being down half the cruise. Strangely, both had norovirus outbreaks, and did pretty much the same thing. At least we knew the ship would start off clean.

Soon, we're trying Royal/HAL B2B. So, we'll see.

Edited by knittinggirl

100 gold

17 platinum

4 emerald

1 diamond

And I will stop there because unless super Mario is onboard I barely see any one above diamond in my ship. I sincerely believe that the more you cruise with royal the less likely you are going to take a cruise with them again. There a few exceptions in the rule but I stand by my idea

Of just look around on embarkation day, gold section is full and the higher you look in the crown and anchor category the less people will be in each section waiting for embarkation.

I don't think that has anything to do with how many are onboard. We are diamond now and I am pretty sure we have not been to a welcome back party since we were gold. I think you get way more gold because they are curious but it was not that entertaining for us so we have never been back to one.

When people find out I cruise they usually ask me which cruise line I sail with or recommend. In the past I always said RCI (unless I thought another line wold suit their needs better). Up until now RCI has been the best overall with regards to price/value, ships, amenities, etc, to us.

But lately I've stopped recommending them as a first choice without pause. I say RCI has been our favorite but I can not, in all honesty, tell people to try RCI without doing your research because I no longer feel they are the best value in most cases. Now I tell people to compare a few lines with similar itineraries because in recent months many of RCI sailings have gone up so much in price, to me, they are no longer even close to a good value. This is my opinion, YMMV.

The BOGOHOAX sale that's been never ending since last may is a complete farce now. But I guess there must be tons of new cruisers out there that don't know that most of these prices are truly inflated, even from last year's prices, so the sale is working. Supply and demand I guess. I realize there's inflation but the cost increases are way more than that.

And now with the huge jump in drink prices....things are getting crazy at RCI. We have 3 cruises booked (booked them back in early May with BOGO, so we truly got sale prices) but unless I find some decent rates I don't see us booking any more RCI cruises.

I realize there are still some good rates to be had but they never seem to line up when we want/can to go.:mad:

RCI is still my favorite and I will continue to look for opportunities to sail with them but it's not the only line I am pricing now and cruising is not the only form of vacation we will consider. In fact, we are headed to Cuba in a couple of weeks - this is the first winter without a cruise in years - in the past few years we never even considered anything but a cruise. It's sad but it's reality. For me, the value has diminished substantially.:(

I know many of you will disagree and that's ok. We all have our opinions and what's a good value to some is not to others. I'm glad there are choices out there for all of us.:D But maybe there are others like me who have stepped off the Royal band wagon and looking at other options.

Happy travels:)

I would always recommend that people try a variety of cruise lines, including, but not exclusively, Royal Caribbean.

We have had many enjoyable cruises with them over the years. Never had a bad one with any cruise line. Royal are a good medium level brand who excel in entertainment in my opinion, but lack quality when it comes to food and service. For that we prefer to go with smaller, more exclusive lines. It depends on who is in our party, and the time of year.

There's a whole lot of competition out there. Explore as many as your budget allows and enjoy them all! :)

100 gold

17 platinum

4 emerald

1 diamond

Wouldn't the number of people with higher status' be less just in general? Look at an airline Frequent Flier Group. The number of folks in the "million mile club" is going to less than those with 500K miles, which is going to less than those with 100K miles, etc.

I don't think that has anything to do with how many are onboard. We are diamond now and I am pretty sure we have not been to a welcome back party since we were gold. I think you get way more gold because they are curious but it was not that entertaining for us so we have never been back to one.

That's why I use " the welcome back party" and " embarkation process". You might skip the welcome party for numerous reasons but you have to be there for embarkation

At this time, I'm not recommending RCCL to others. In my opinion, they're just not living up to all the "WOW" hype! In fact, it seems the WOW of cruising with RCCL has diminished in the past few years. I was on a 12 day on QOS in March, and although it wasn't a bad cruise, it just seemed like something from the RCCL experience was missing.

My next cruise is with NCL; 14 days on the Breakaway (8 ports) in a Mini Suite with the free drink package for $1717 US, WOW!

D+ with RCCL btw.

We normally book Celebrity or Holland America, but have booked RCI for the first time for a 12-member family cruise. I regularly read the HAL and Celebrity boards, and now the RCI board as well. This thread and the many like them could just as easily have been started on either of the other two boards, or on the board for any of the other lines I suspect. The reality is that the cruise lines offer a bit less than they did previously, but after taking inflation into account, we also pay a bit less. The cheerleading squads on the other boards are somewhat muted now as well as their lines make cuts too. Based on threads I'm reading, there will be or already is greater movement from line to line as experienced cruisers seek out elsewhere that which is now missing from their previously favourite line.

Maybe it's cruising that is losing its luster for many people and not the particular cruise line? And they are blaming the cruise lines for their diminishing sense of fun?

We have been cruising for a long time now and we love it as much now as we ever did, and we are not much bothered by the subtle changes. We still believe cruising to be a good value for our vacation dollars and we still can't wait for our next cruise! If we stop feeling that way we will stop cruising and find something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Celebrity is still a good value, and will continue to recommend them to (mature) folks. I'm booked on a 10 day (Eclipse/overnight in Barbados) next December in Concierge class cabin 1108, which has a huge balcony. Booked while on board, and received $600 OBC, prepaid gratuities, and free drink package for $1449.00.

In the area in which I live, all inclusive in Dominican Republic was super popular like 10 years ago and then people stitched to a cruise. But most people that I know once they take a cruise they are like wow nice but are not willing to take another cruise. They feel a cruise vacation is complicated !!!, and it is not really relaxing. New ports everyday, 2 many people in one place, sea sickness, small rooms and the list goes and goes

Our last cruies legend of seas from Hong Kong was disgusting poor food,entertainment,no trivia,no climbing wall or putting green,no port lectures, boarding took three hours,cut back in bingo,room service men very poor, tours over priced, charge of $20 for port bus when you could walk in three minutes.would I reckon mend no way this was my fith and last cruise with RCI Aussie

We took our first RCI cruise back in April and had a great time. Being our first RCI cruise, we have no earlier benchmark to compare to, but found the food to be pretty good, sometimes even very good, and Giovanni's was excellent. We did find drinks to be quite pricey, for the most part, but are not heavy drinkers, so that was not an issue for us. What we really did enjoy were all of the entertainment and activity options, mostly at no additional cost. Our previous cruise was on Carnival 9 years prior, so have no recent experience with them either, and have heard many reports of cutbacks and quality decreases on their part as well. I would venture a guess that most mainstream cruise lines are heading the same direction to increase profits.

As far as pricing, we booked a future cruise on RCI Freedom for March 2017 while onboard back in April and have found pricing to have only increased since then. I have also compared to Carnival for a very similar itinerary and identical number of days, and found that for 3 of us, Carnival would be approximately $100 less in total. Sure, $300 is a nice chunk of change, however, we have to fly to Florida from Colorado and can only afford to cruise every few years. That said, in the grand scheme of things, I would much rather spend $100 for a hopefully better experience overall. For 3 of us, March 2017, in a Panoramic Oceanview Cabin (1802), an 8 day cruise on Freedom of the Seas from FLL, to San Juan, St Kitts, Labadee, and St Maarten, including pre-paid gratuities for all 3, is priced at $2622 including $100 OBC. Carnival's closest cruise, same itinerary from Port Canveral, substituting Grand Turk for Labadee, on board Carnival Destiny....err, Sunshine is $2525, and includes a $50 OBC, in a standard view oceanview stateroom. Taking the OBC amounts into consideration, I'm now down to a $47 price difference at current rates. I'm also fairly certain that there are many more opportunities for fun onboard Freedom compared to Sunshine. Our son will be 12, and would have the option of the Flowrider, Rock Wall, skating rink, and H2O Zone on Freedom, which he enjoyed some of back in April. Is Freedom worth an extra $47? In my book, yes - we certainly didn't go hungry on any cruises, and while Carnival may offer Guy's Burgers and Rita's Cantina, those 2 venues aren't a make or break point for us. Now, if Carnival was say, $500 less expensive, I would likely book Carnival for that kind of savings, but as of right now, Carnival and RCI are so close in price, that the decision is a no brainer for us! The awesome view from Freedom's Panoramic cabins alone is worth the $47!

I would however, certainly book another Carnival cruise in the future if the deal was right.

I sincerely believe that the more you cruise with royal the less likely you are going to take a cruise with them again. There a few exceptions in the rule but I stand by my idea

"Let me be the first to say MUH-HEY?" - Ross Geller

You are really going to have to demystify this statement that must have originated with the late, great Yogi Berra.

The more you cruise with Royal... the less likely you are to cruise with them again? The more you... the less likely... more... less... the more you do something... the less you do it... the more... HUH?

I sincerely believe that the more you cruise with royal the less likely you are going to take a cruise with them again. There a few exceptions in the rule but I stand by my idea

To answer the OP's question we still recommend RCI and have no reason not to. Our alternative cruise line is Celebrity where we get a more laid back cruise experience but what we desire.

I totally disagree with the above statement based on the many friends and acquaintances we have who are repeat cruisers. Several cruise other lines yet still cruise on RCI.

At this time, I'm not recommending RCCL to others. In my opinion, they're just not living up to all the "WOW" hype! In fact, it seems the WOW of cruising with RCCL has diminished in the past few years. I was on a 12 day on QOS in March, and although it wasn't a bad cruise, it just seemed like something from the RCCL experience was missing.

D+ with RCCL btw.

That was our experience on the QOS as well. I think they are relying on the technology and much less on the interactive activities. There were no parades or sail away parties. Dynamic dining also doesn't help with getting to know fellow passengers. It definitely didn't have the same feeling which we missed. I hope these changes don't go throughout the fleet.

"Let me be the first to say MUH-HEY?" - Ross Geller

You are really going to have to demystify this statement that must have originated with the late, great Yogi Berra.

The more you cruise with Royal... the less likely you are to cruise with them again? The more you... the less likely... more... less... the more you do something... the less you do it... the more... HUH?

Definitely sounds like a Yogism to me. :D

We are D+ and have been sailing with RCL for many years now, I found myself booking with RCL lately because of our perks...(mainly the CL/DL) we both really enjoy the lounge and meeting up with many past cruisers and the free drinks. Last year we booked and sailed 9 RCL cruises on 4 different ships and although we enjoyed ourselves the price we paid for what we received is no longer attractive. We seem to have been blinded by our perks and did not realize that not only have prices gone way up and port fees gone way up but in the past few years some of the best crew members have left...(all of them complaining RCL is reducing there income and diluting their tips) hence the service although good not what it used to be (and I'm not talking about the service 7-8 years ago)....but we are paying more...a lot more and getting less (but RCL has doubled in value in just a couple of years)

Anyways this year we decided to go back to Princess, we are happy again, the prices are better the port fees are cheaper for the same ports, the service is great and they have much better itineraries.

Where we once only considered RCL we now have an open mind and look at other alternatives.

We no longer recommend RCL, I would still sail RCL if it suited.

I think the higher prices you are seeing now are really just getting the pricing back where it was 10 -12 years ago. Once the recession hit, the prices dropped dramatically and now with the recovery in full bloom and flowering the prices reflect it. They seem to be having little trouble filling most ships.

I have been sailing Royal for many years and even the spring break and holiday cruises seem to be priced at or below what we paid back in 2003 on our first RCL cruise.

That said, the quality of food and some service has been reduced over the years.

We do recommend Royal Caribbean to people who ask. This is the only line we will cruise. Lots of activities, great shows, reasonable prices, Flowriders, what's not to like? :)

I priced seven days at Margaritaville in FLL and JUST for the room during the same time frame as we will be on the Oasis, it was almost $3,300 and that did not include any food, activities or entertainment. We managed to snag the new Grand Suite aft on deck 11 on the Oasis for not much more than that and we get to travel to three beautiful islands, have the use of TWO Flowriders, our food is included and we can get a drink package, etc. etc. It was a simple choice for us, a cruise it is :)

Also, on our first cruise in 2007, we paid roughly $1250 pp for a D1 balcony and now you can find a D2 for $1050ish pp, still a great deal, in my opinion. :D

We have not stopped recommending Royal or Celebrity. We still think they are good values, but are disappointed in a number of the changes they have made in last couple of years.

We now sail less with grandkids arriving.

If asked, I would put my disclaimer out there as I do suggest a cruise line.

I am sure many passengers love the new Royal/Celebrity and I think that makes sense in that Royal/Celebrity is looking to appeal to a new generation of cruisers. The problem is that the younger generation is not as loyal, thus it will be interesting to see how cruising evolves.