Should dress codes disappear?

Wow, maybe I need to scratch that line off the list. I agree that when someone books a cruise, they should expect to follow the stated dress code.

It's okay most people still followed the dress code and looked great :). Because the cruise line is quite cosmopolitan with people from all over the world it is fun to see what people are wearing.

There are a few cruise lines that still have formal nights and do enforce dress codes. Perhaps you should consider one of them. Seabourn might be a good place to start.

Not quite so much choice down our part of the world, unfortunately, and very expensive.

Edit: and no longer enforcing dress codes? :eek:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I am going to bring some popcorn, and perhaps we will order some very strong latte :D

M

Some for me too please. :)

Well it helps pass the time as I lay here with feet up recovering from bilateral bunion surgery. :(

But I will behave now and post no more comments.

Cheers :)

To add.....on four different lines, (oh the horrors, mass market), over at least15 years and a fair number of cruises, I have never seen anyone that even approached dressing like the dreaded "creatures". The worst, I ever saw, and I use that term lightly, was one of those blanket snuggies on the pool deck....well, it WAS cold.:D

You've been lucky then. While I've only seen the photos of the chain mail dress, I have seen overalls, trucker caps, a miniskirt so short her underwear was showing, dirty t-shirts, and more. None of that was on Windstar or the PG. I'll leave it at that.

This is a very interesting topic obviously with many opinions and perspectives. We have sailed NCL exclusively in large part due to the relaxed dress code. It's just that the days of dark suits, tuxedos and large gowns are over and no longer as appealing. I think I understand the code on a line like Cunard, but then when I look at the website of other lines - specifically the sections that speak to dress and dress codes, it is a bit confusing. When I see language such as "recommended" and then read here that the line does not enforce this "recommendation", I can see what's coming from a mile away. When I read on some of the sites that suit jackets and ties are not required for "formal" nights but long trousers with polo shirts or button down shirts are permissable, I can see the conflict here, too, when plenty of folks (myself included) would not consider this at all formal.

I think we are in the midst of change in both the cruising industry and between generations. As the baby boomers age and new generations start sailing, there will be changes in how people sail on cruise lines.

As an aside, I grew up in the midwest and never even owned a pair of jeans until I was 25. When I began to wear jeans, I ironed them. I still do iron jeans from time to time. I also shine my shoes more than many people do. I think it's both generational and a part of my upbringing and area where I grew up. I doubt that I'll be able to jettison those habits ever entirely. :)

I am going to bring some popcorn, and perhaps we will order some very strong latte :D

M

Save the latte for Sat. night.;):)

I would suggest that the latte be more than strong, "enhanced" comes to mine. Now, won't that be just ducky?

We'll see what we can do about enhancing it.:D

Yes, yes, and perhaps some Foie gras too [emoji1]. For now I need a latte. I'm at the airport en route NY.

Can we still have the champagne, caviar and foie gras in our room at night wearing jammies?:D

See you in a day and a half.;):)

No. I just turned 40.

I think everything has become too casual and it hurts the ambiance of certain places. I can be casual most days if I want to, but isn't it lovely to be able to dress up from time to time and see other people who have made the same effort?

It's possible to be casual without looking like a slob, though you wouldn't know this by looking around sometimes. I still dress well to fly, even if I'm uncomfortable by the number of people who stare at me.

My husband and I are cruising on NCL in June. It's not our first choice, but the itinerary and dates worked best out of the available options, so that's what we're doing. I shudder to think of some of the sights we're going to see onboard, but that won't stop me from dressing well while onboard.

Part of what attracts me to cruising and experiences like the Orient Express is the protocol of it. It's a way to step back to a more elegant time, and I like that.

Edited by ExpatBride

No. I am 32.

I agree with you ExpatBride. I do think that dressing to casual hurts the ambiance of the MDR during formal nights. I feel as a society we are constantly lowering our standards for everything and making exceptions for everyone. As previous posters have said, multiple cruise lines exist that can cater to everyone's cruising style. I try to dress appropriate for the line that I will be on.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, now that ship's dining rooms no longer have the really gourmet food even on "formal night," I think the dress code could be relaxed. After all we do not dress up for Olive Garden or Outback do we? Perhaps for the better pay extra restaurants there could be a formal, after 6, or at least long pants and collar shirts dress code.

To be honest, now that ship's dining rooms no longer have the really gourmet food even on "formal night," I think the dress code could be relaxed. After all we do not dress up for Olive Garden or Outback do we? Perhaps for the better pay extra restaurants there could be a formal, after 6, or at least long pants and collar shirts dress code.

You make an interesting suggestion....and even in the MDR if someone wants to "dress up" -- no one will stop them. They can take their special photos and enjoy at the same time, and so can everyone else enjoy what they want as well.

I approve of a very broad generalized basic dress code. There are some people who don't have enough courtesy or respect for themselves and others to not show up for dinner in a swim suit and hero shirt. I don't want to look at that during dinner anywhere and certainly not in a lovely HAL dining room.

I don't care if they do away with formal night but I do hope they maintain at least some 'this is the lowest we can go' standard.

Edited by sail7seas

No...59. I just booked my first cruise and quite frankly, I am looking forward to getting dressed up for dinner. I think it is going a rather nice part of my cruise experience.

We just got back from a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I have no idea how anyone else was dressed. This was our 9th cruise and the only person I remember out of all those cruises was when we were still doing traditional dining and one of the women at the table had a formal dress (well within the guidelines for formal night) that had a cut out under her breasts. They kept trying to pop out!

Otherwise, now that we are doing my time dining, we show up, are seated, look at the menu, talk to our waiter, eat our food, look out the window and leave. I have no idea how people at the other tables are dressed. They all have some sort of top on and I don't go around peeking under the tables to see what kind of bottoms or shoes anyone else has on.

So far none of cruises I have been on has had anyone so inappropriately dressed that I would feel the need to have a strict dress code.

We just got back from a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I have no idea how anyone else was dressed. This was our 9th cruise and the only person I remember out of all those cruises was when we were still doing traditional dining and one of the women at the table had a formal dress (well within the guidelines for formal night) that had a cut out under her breasts. They kept trying to pop out!

Otherwise, now that we are doing my time dining, we show up, are seated, look at the menu, talk to our waiter, eat our food, look out the window and leave. I have no idea how people at the other tables are dressed. They all have some sort of top on and I don't go around peeking under the tables to see what kind of bottoms or shoes anyone else has on.

So far none of cruises I have been on has had anyone so inappropriately dressed that I would feel the need to have a strict dress code.

I immediately thought of the women in the designer gowns at the Billboard Music awards the other night. They are formal gowns - how would our cruise fashion critics think about someone showing up in one of those for Formal dinner in the MDR??? :eek: