Food - Princess vs HAL

ernieb

My DW and I have sailed HAL and particularly the Nieuw Amsterdam for the past few years. We are on the Royal for a 20 day sailing on September the 21st. We are wondering if others who have sailed both lines have opinions as to how the quality of the food compares. We do tend to use the specialty restaurants frequently on our cruises.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I can't speak for the food on HAL, but bywe have greatly enjoyed the food on princess. The buffet offers a great variety. The IC is unique and delicious and the MDR has a great variety of consistently good food. I think you will enjoy it. Oh yeah, the pizza is the best at sea.

I am three star on HAL and have 13 cruises on Princess. In recent years I like the food on Princess better. Was just on Regal (sister ship to Royal) and I never have seen such great food before on a ship. (of course for my taste).

We thought the food on the Nieuw Amsteerdam in November 2013 was some of the best cruise food we'd ever enjoyed. OTOH, on the Noordam in December 2012, not so much.

Princess generally falls somewhere between the two.

I do much prefer the buffet on HAL to most Princess ships, the Royal/Regal being the only possible exception.

We mostly cruise on Princess (better overall fit for us) but do also like HAL.

The MDR food is about the same on both lines and we don't feel the need to go to a $pecialty restaurant every night for dinner on either. For steak ... yes ... on both we go to a specialty restaurant.

Princess has way longer times open for the buffet, pizza, and grill. In addition the IC (International Café) is open 24/7.

HAL has far better room service.

LuLu

My experience is that the MDR food is about the same as HAL, but, of course, the menus will be different and some items you like on HAL may not be available on Princess. There are certain items shown most evenings on the left side of the DR menu that are always available. If the menu doesn't show them just ask.

On the Royal free dining will be:

Horizon Ct/ Horizon Bistro/Pastry Shop buffet area. One or more sections will be open from 6am until 11pm or midnight. I found the buffet selections and quality on the Royal very good.

International Cafe open 24 hours. It's take away, find a seat and table sandwiches, desserts, salads. some other nice items. It is a very popular area.

Alfredo's; Pizza, Calzone and other Italian items. It's a sit down waiter served restaurant open from 11am to 11pm. A nice change for lunch or dinner from the MDR. It's walk in.

Trident Grill and Prego Pizza (by the slice) are on the Lido Deck as well as Swirls soft ice cream. Great Pizza, better than HAL for sure. They are open from 11am to 11pm.

Also Room Service. Room Service has a limited menu unless you are in a full suite, then you can order off the DR menu.

Afternoon Tea each day free of charge, except on certain days they have a special "Royal" Tea that has a small charge.

For Surcharge Dining:

Crown Grill (Steak, Chops, Seafood) and Sabatini's (Italian) Current cost $25/pp, have tried both and felt they were good, and feel the price is reasonable.

Crab Shack (buckets of sea food), $20/pp. I haven't tried it, but also reasonable price.

Fondue may also be available one night at $20/pp, also didn't try it.

All above require a reservation, call the dine line on board.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar on Deck 7 atrium. Not a meal, but bar selections of seafood. Price is by the item.

Gelato in the Atrium. Just a few $ for 3 scoops, or I think two punches on the coffee card.

The Royal also has some special dining experiences such as the Chef's Table which runs somewhere in the $115 area, Wine Maker's Dinner about $40. If you are interested in any of these you have to place your name on the list soon after you board.

And as always, a lot depends on the given EC and MD on a cruise.

We've had the same menu on two sister ships. The food on one was significantly better than the other. When the ships are identical and sourced the same, the difference must be staff.

Thank you for this excellent information.

I would particularly like to hear about the Italian food in Sabatini's. We were particularly disapointed in the Italian restaurant on HAL wich I have heard compared to Olive Garden at best.

Like several others who have posted, I'm not only Elite on Princess but am also a 3-star Mariner on HAL.

As said, food is very subjective. From my perspective, I much prefer the Princess dining room for a couple of reasons. One is a lot more "always available" options. The biggie for me is that I've found Princess far more flexible and accommodating if I ask for menu item modifications or a special request. I get tired of the rich food and often ask for a dinner salad with grilled chicken. Never a problem on Princess, I get a look as though I have two heads on HAL.

I much prefer the Princess buffet set-up and options over HAL although some of HAL's Indonesian dishes are delicious. I prefer the way Princess pre-sets tables and has tableside beverage service. Princess pizza and pasta is much better than HAL's. I also like that on Princess, the buffet is open from early morning until late at night as opposed to HAL's being open for just a short time during each mealtime. I think the Pinnacle Grill is better than the Crown Grill. HAL's room service menu is much better than Princess.

Like several others who have posted, I'm not only Elite on Princess but am also a 3-star Mariner on HAL.

As said, food is very subjective. From my perspective, I much prefer the Princess dining room for a couple of reasons. One is a lot more "always available" options. The biggie for me is that I've found Princess far more flexible and accommodating if I ask for menu item modifications or a special request. I get tired of the rich food and often ask for a dinner salad with grilled chicken. Never a problem on Princess, I get a look as though I have two heads on HAL.

I much prefer the Princess buffet set-up and options over HAL although some of HAL's Indonesian dishes are delicious. I prefer the way Princess pre-sets tables and has tableside beverage service. Princess pizza and pasta is much better than HAL's. I also like that on Princess, the buffet is open from early morning until late at night as opposed to HAL's being open for just a short time during each mealtime. I think the Pinnacle Grill is better than the Crown Grill. HAL's room service menu is much better than Princess.

I get irritated with the short Lido hours on HAL. Especially on port days. HAL has rigid policies and they seldom make changes or adapt to passenger needs.

Princess has really buffet good table service for beverages, this service is now totally absent on HAL. Get your own coffee, water, tea and heaven help if you want a soft drink on HAL. By the time you get your own drink your food is cold.

Princess pizza is the best.

Princess soda card is reasonably priced for unlimited soda. HAL sells half price drink cards but you are limited to a certain dollar amount.

Most HAL ships have very good deli sandwiches made to order but on a recent Prinsendam cruise deli sandwiches were at the hot dog stand and the meats were of poor quality.

Sabatinis is excellent. Better than Canaleto.

Edited by sammiedawg

Most HAL ships have very good deli sandwiches made to order but on a recent Prinsendam cruise deli sandwiches were at the hot dog stand and the meats were of poor quality.
The Royal and Regal have a made-to-order deli sandwich station in the Horizon Bistro. Delicious. :)

The Royal and Regal have a made-to-order deli sandwich station in the Horizon Bistro. Delicious. :)

Thanks Pam......just read this to my husband.....he is a Sandwich person! We might never have looked for it on our Regal cruise later this year.

My experience is that the MDR food is about the same as HAL, but, of course, the menus will be different and some items you like on HAL may not be available on Princess. There are certain items shown most evenings on the left side of the DR menu that are always available. If the menu doesn't show them just ask.

On the Royal free dining will be:

Horizon Ct/ Horizon Bistro/Pastry Shop buffet area. One or more sections will be open from 6am until 11pm or midnight. I found the buffet selections and quality on the Royal very good.

International Cafe open 24 hours. It's take away, find a seat and table sandwiches, desserts, salads. some other nice items. It is a very popular area.

Alfredo's; Pizza, Calzone and other Italian items. It's a sit down waiter served restaurant open from 11am to 11pm. A nice change for lunch or dinner from the MDR. It's walk in.

Trident Grill and Prego Pizza (by the slice) are on the Lido Deck as well as Swirls soft ice cream. Great Pizza, better than HAL for sure. They are open from 11am to 11pm.

Also Room Service. Room Service has a limited menu unless you are in a full suite, then you can order off the DR menu.

Afternoon Tea each day free of charge, except on certain days they have a special "Royal" Tea that has a small charge.

For Surcharge Dining:

Crown Grill (Steak, Chops, Seafood) and Sabatini's (Italian) Current cost $25/pp, have tried both and felt they were good, and feel the price is reasonable.

Crab Shack (buckets of sea food), $20/pp. I haven't tried it, but also reasonable price.

Fondue may also be available one night at $20/pp, also didn't try it.

All above require a reservation, call the dine line on board.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar on Deck 7 atrium. Not a meal, but bar selections of seafood. Price is by the item.

Gelato in the Atrium. Just a few $ for 3 scoops, or I think two punches on the coffee card.

The Royal also has some special dining experiences such as the Chef's Table which runs somewhere in the $115 area, Wine Maker's Dinner about $40. If you are interested in any of these you have to place your name on the list soon after you board.

Totally agree, right on.

We mostly cruise on Princess (better overall fit for us) but do also like HAL.

The MDR food is about the same on both lines and we don't feel the need to go to a $pecialty restaurant every night for dinner on either. For steak ... yes ... on both we go to a specialty restaurant.

Princess has way longer times open for the buffet, pizza, and grill. In addition the IC (International Café) is open 24/7.

HAL has far better room service.

LuLu

Ditto .. My take exactly

3-Star & Princess Elite

Srpilo

My DW and I have sailed HAL and particularly the Nieuw Amsterdam for the past few years. We are on the Royal for a 20 day sailing on September the 21st. We are wondering if others who have sailed both lines have opinions as to how the quality of the food compares. We do tend to use the specialty restaurants frequently on our cruises.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

We generally stick to the MDR on Princess and HAL. Did a TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam a year ago, had a wonderful table in the MDR, table for two, in the mid level between the upper and lower floors... had a Head Waiter who was very good and we were very happy with food and service. Ref your question how does HAL and Princess compare very similar.

We are elite on Princess, 2 star on HAL, actually cruise Princess, HAL and Cunard... feel all three are very similar. We generally special order off menu every night because we like meals prepared without sauces and prefer grill fish primarily. We generally find out what fish they have on board and order it. We do not eat seafood or shell fish. We also enjoy veal chops and short ribs for some variety. Generally cruises do these very well.

We've done both HAL and Princess and we like the food on both - and in the buffets, MDRs, and specialty restaurants.

But if we had to choose we'd say the food and service on HAL is a notch above Princess. Buffets not as much difference but the MDR a little more upscale on HAL and Pinnacle Grill a notch above Crown Grill.

We've not sailed Royal/Regal (yet) but have heard those Buffets are quite nice and a new step up.

But as others have said food is quite subjective and while I'm a bit of a selective eater (preferring the simpler to the fancier) I do believe one can find something they like on just about any menu.

All in all we're always fascinated at how well they can serve so many at one time and still have it be as good as it is. We love dining on a cruise.

We've done both HAL and Princess and we like the food on both - and in the buffets, MDRs, and specialty restaurants.

But if we had to choose we'd say the food and service on HAL is a notch above Princess. Buffets not as much difference but the MDR a little more upscale on HAL and Pinnacle Grill a notch above Crown Grill.

We've not sailed Royal/Regal (yet) but have heard those Buffets are quite nice and a new step up.

But as others have said food is quite subjective and while I'm a bit of a selective eater (preferring the simpler to the fancier) I do believe one can find something they like on just about any menu.

All in all we're always fascinated at how well they can serve so many at one time and still have it be as good as it is. We love dining on a cruise.

we prefer princess over HAL but on HAL a lot depends on the ship, we find anyways: the food on the Eurodam and the New Amsterdam is SIGNIFICANTLY above that on their older ships, we find the difference huge between HAL ships actually... too much so for a cruise line in my view........ we find there are differences on the princess ships but not nearly as huge as on HAL...

crystal cruises has the best food we have had on any ship.... amazing....., way above HAL or princess but the two crystal ships are getting very old looking even if they are clean.

yamaha 123 -

Thanks for the heads regarding HAL ships being different. We were on the Oosterdam and loved it. And the next year our son and his wife were on the same cruise on the Oosterdam and they loved it, too.

We'll keep the "different" aspect in mind as we fully expect to do HAL again.

Cannot comment on the HAL vs Princess food since it has been over two years since we were on HAL.

We were on a Feb. 20 Sun Princess cruise to Fiji. The food on the Sun was absolutely among the best food that we have had on a cruise ship in terms of quality, preparation, and variety. As of late we have also been on Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, and RCI ships.

It is partly down to taste. But this is what we noticed....excellent selection of fresh fruits (not just melons and bananas), excellent cheese offerings-especially in the Horizon, and very good beef in the MDR. Salad bar was top notch with lots of offerings. We skip formal nights and had Beef Wellington in the Horizon. It was the best that either of us have ever had-on land or on a ship. We were on an RCI cruise two weeks later and the food was a definite let down after Princess.

The dessert offerings in the Horizon were also among the best that we have ever encountered on any similar ship. Not certain if this is down the fact that it was an Australian cruise or if Princess has really improved their game. We are assuming the latter.

What else seems to have changed on Princess? Well, the beds were more comfortable than before. We did not need a mattress topper. Coffee was slightly better (though still in the awful category) but we typically stick to the coffee card.

So, it will be time for us to look at more Princess cruises. Our list keeps changing. Celebrity and Princess are in the top 2 of our mass market preferences, RCI and HAL have both gone down on our list.

Edited by iancal

My experience to compare HAL (Oosterdam) with any of the Princess cruises I have taken is that HAL loses out of quality and taste. The soups are over salted and the meat was rather tough.

The sweets were also below par on taste and one night all 8 of us did not eat our sweet as it was like rubber and tasteless.

I know each ship may be different because of the quality of the Senior Chef on board (I have to say my Christmas cruise on the Dawn Princess the food was not up to standard and we had a few poor meals - particularly on Christmas DFay itself)

Edited by windsor26