Couple in 80s told to get off the ship!

SALAD MUNCHER

Glass houses Hattie. Your 115 post wasn't exactly on subject. Threads always drift, like fascinating conversations.

David.

Hattie has responsibilities to all of us and to Cruise Critic's rules. Respect her gentle reminders when she decides that enough is enough. She has to make some tough calls, and as her friends we should be supporting her.

I actually see her post 115 as rather important in the flow of things. She was alerting people to security issues they may not have been aware of.

Edited by fantasy51

This thread has already drifted rather a long way, if you want a discussion about the safety of Istanbul as a turnaround port, maybe you could start a new thread (preferably in the Ports of Call section).

Thank you

No, thank you.

I realise that this thread has drifted somewhat from the original subject but I think it has been a worthwhile 'drift' as I have found out quite a lot about issues I might not have even thought about in the past. For example I am taking my elderly mother on Cunard in June and she has to take 10 different types of medications each day and of course will have to bring them all with her. I had no idea this might cause problems in some countries but now I will ensure she brings these in the original containers along with a copy of her prescription, better safe than sorry!

Cruising is one type of holiday where the elderly in particular tend to feel a lot safer traveling, either together or on their own, because of the 'back-up' they receive on board. The original thread was started just to make others aware of some of the possible pitfalls and the consequences that could arise, even on this type of holiday. However hopefully this was a very rare occurrence, but as they say 'fore warned is fore armed'! Best wishes, Sue

I don't understand why people would chance arrest and detention in a foreign country over bringing original containers. If your pharmacy dispenses three month supplies just ask them to split the order. I've yet to have the pharmacist say no to doing so.

I realise that this thread has drifted somewhat from the original subject but I think it has been a worthwhile 'drift' as I have found out quite a lot about issues I might not have even thought about in the past. For example I am taking my elderly mother on Cunard in June and she has to take 10 different types of medications each day and of course will have to bring them all with her. I had no idea this might cause problems in some countries but now I will ensure she brings these in the original containers along with a copy of her prescription, better safe than sorry!

Yes, over the years I too have learned a lot from off subject posts, probably more than with original subject ones.

Now though it seems that these are under attack after hundreds possibly thousands of threads that have happily veered off subject without comment.

The boards will be less useful if this becomes the rule.

David.

Istanbul in October. Yup, you will take your chances. But guess is that the ship will ship that port stop.

Could you say why you think that?

Thank you.

David.

Nobody is complaining or trying to stop the thread drift from "Couple thrown off ship" to possible problems with medication, all I have asked is that if that you & Salacia wish to have a conversation about a completely different subject again, you start a new thread.

My apologies if you feel this request is unreasonable but new subjects have a habit of getting lost at the bottom of long threads.

Nobody is complaining or trying to stop the thread drift from "Couple thrown off ship" to possible problems with medication, all I have asked is that if that you & Salacia wish to have a conversation about a completely different subject again, you start a new thread.

My apologies if you feel this request is unreasonable but new subjects have a habit of getting lost at the bottom of long threads.

A good idea Hattie as the subject has been so helpful re medication that there will be others traveling with Cunard that will have missed all the advice as there is no indication in the threads headline about medication.

Personally I find the "drifts" rather fascinating. I even find the snarkiness that some people dip to very amusing. They provide good insights and examples of human nature and pack mentality.

As I think more about my "medications" I realize that the vast majority of them in my daily pill boxes aren't medications at all, but supplements that promise all sorts of fabulous results plus a baby aspirin and Claritin. I don't even know if they work, but I don't have any wrinkles and, so far, I haven't died young.

I do carry two emergency prescriptions in their original containers--one for Vicodin in case either of us has an accident, and the other for antibiotics if we ever need them while traveling. If they ever get confiscated, so be it, as long as they don't mess with my "make me beautiful" supplements.

A friend of mine was detained for 12 hours trying to cross the border into Canada because she had a Baggie if some supplement that looked very much like a narcotic. She was ultimately released, but it wasn't a pleasant way to start her vacation. I put my gummy calcium and gummy multivitamins in Baggies, however when we go to Australia I will keep them in the original jars due to the Aussies very strict laws in bringing food into their country.

We both take our prescription medications in their original boxes (as they of course always have your name printed on the box. I assume other countries issue prescriptions like that as well ?) and also a copy of the prescription from the chemist.

We also always carry them in hand luggage since if the case with them in got lost then not having them would have very serious health implications.

Having said all that we have never had any trouble.

Personally I find the "drifts" rather fascinating. I even find the snarkiness that some people dip to very amusing. They provide good insights and examples of human nature and pack mentality.

As I think more about my "medications" I realize that the vast majority of them in my daily pill boxes aren't medications at all, but supplements that promise all sorts of fabulous results plus a baby aspirin and Claritin. I don't even know if they work, but I don't have any wrinkles and, so far, I haven't died young.

I do carry two emergency prescriptions in their original containers--one for Vicodin in case either of us has an accident, and the other for antibiotics if we ever need them while traveling. If they ever get confiscated, so be it, as long as they don't mess with my "make me beautiful" supplements.

Hi PunkiC,

After reading your post I just have to post these pictures, our supplements :D

17075795786_8576b4e7f7_o.jpg

My morning & night

16915554919_a04211da51_o.jpg

M

Edited by Porthopper101

Oh one should rename this Thread- Pill Thread!

Very interessting though!

just kidding of course- Porthopper- they serve such nice lunches and dinners on board the Queens- no need to take everything in " Pillform" ! From your post I take it you have a nice sense of humor otherwise you wouldn´t have posted your daily " intake" !

I know some have to have those many pills in order to keep going!

Hattie, may I suggest that you remove these comments to a separate thread about 'pills' so that the thread may return to its original subject where we might see some further comments about the subject under which the thread is headed?

Unfortunately, there is no further news on the couple who were forced to leave the Queen Victoria, it happened in February, was reported on one local BBC news channel in April and that is all the information we have. Unless you have anything further ?

Unfortunately, there is no further news on the couple who were forced to leave the Queen Victoria, it happened in February, was reported on one local BBC news channel in April and that is all the information we have. Unless you have anything further ?

Quite right, there as been no further news about the couple allegedly forced to disembark, nor has there been any further information about the passenger who reportedly died in a tendering incident.

I have nothing further to add, except to note my concern. I expect my fellow passengers also care enough to ask questions regarding these incidents.

Regards,

Salacia

Quite right, there as been no further news about the couple allegedly forced to disembark, nor has there been any further information about the passenger who reportedly died in a tendering incident.

I have nothing further to add, except to note my concern. I expect my fellow passengers also care enough to ask questions regarding these incidents.

Regards, Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Can you please message me... pepper dot deck 9 at g mail dot com . Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you :) .

I can find nothing further on the news story of the couple who were denied entry into the US (despite much on-line searching). Whether this is because further details have emerged after greater research, which has cast a different light on the subject. Or if the couple have requested no further publicity, or for any other reason, I have no idea. I am speculating (which is never good!).

Sincere good wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

You could always contact the BBC reporter who did the original story and ask for a follow up.. Call BBC main switchboard and ask to be transferred to his or her extension. If they don't pick up, leave a message and they will usually call back shortly.

• 1 month later...