New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

Pretty soon they're going to have a to give cruisers (especially new cruisers) a detailed list of what's included and what isn't. We all know that newbies are already confused and now this.

When you see returning cruisers state or post that they didn't know the MDR was included, you know something is seriously wrong. First time I ever saw this I thought there was something not quite right with the poster.

But now I read or see it more and more.

I just saw this posted on a FB group that I'm in. I don't know the source or how truthful it is.

Carnival just announced this: Carnival Cruise Line is piloting an expanded 24-hour stateroom service menu to include a variety of new in-cabin dining options for a fee. The fee-based choices include sushi, chicken wings, fried shrimp, quesadillas, personal pizzas and more. Each of these items will be individually priced.

A wide range of items are still available at no charge, including seven different hot and cold sandwiches, three salad choices, three desserts and eight beverages, along with a Continental breakfast menu.

The expanded room service menu is designed to significantly broaden and upgrade the line’s culinary choices available for in-room delivery. There continues to be a wide range of complimentary choices and these new fee-based options are simply intended to create even greater choice and variety for our guests.

The pilot will start on Carnival Imagination, Carnival Conquest and Carnival Pride April 12 and, based on guest feedback, may be expanded to other ships in the future.

I just saw this posted on a FB group that I'm in. I don't know the source or how truthful it is.

Carnival just announced this: Carnival Cruise Line is piloting an expanded 24-hour stateroom service menu to include a variety of new in-cabin dining options for a fee. The fee-based choices include sushi, chicken wings, fried shrimp, quesadillas, personal pizzas and more. Each of these items will be individually priced.

A wide range of items are still available at no charge, including seven different hot and cold sandwiches, three salad choices, three desserts and eight beverages, along with a Continental breakfast menu.

The expanded room service menu is designed to significantly broaden and upgrade the line’s culinary choices available for in-room delivery. There continues to be a wide range of complimentary choices and these new fee-based options are simply intended to create even greater choice and variety for our guests.

The pilot will start on Carnival Imagination, Carnival Conquest and Carnival Pride April 12 and, based on guest feedback, may be expanded to other ships in the future.

At least some basic items are still free of charge...

Wow! Even the pizza? Well, when you ask your groupies if they would pay for pizza delivered to their room, and they mindlessly respond yes, they get what they look for.

I'm totally fine with this. Carnival is maintaining what is already offered, and adding more for those who wish to purchase it.

I'm totally fine with this. Carnival is maintaining what is already offered, and adding more for those who wish to purchase it.

Exactly. And I don't mind paying for pizza being delivered to my room if I don't feel like going to get it.

At least they gave some notice. NCL sprung it on people with no notice at all, which I thought was inconsiderate.

My kids in particular love getting room service, and we'll continue to use it.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Exactly. And I don't mind paying for pizza being delivered to my room if I don't feel like going to get it.

At least they gave some notice. NCL sprung it on people with no notice at all, which I thought was inconsiderate.

My kids in particular love getting room service, and we'll continue to use it.

Love the thought of being able to order sushi at night, if I wanted.

In NCL's case, it appears that the "service charge" will apply to all room service orders. I can understand folks being very unhappy with that. We always order room service in the morning (and tip generously), and I would not be happy with this change.

Wow! Even the pizza? Well, when you ask your groupies if they would pay for pizza delivered to their room, and they mindlessly respond yes, they get what they look for.

Serious question. Is pizza delivered now? I always just stopped by to get it on my way back to my cabin. If that FB post was accurate, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Serious question. Is pizza delivered now? I always just stopped by to get it on my way back to my cabin. If that FB post was accurate, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reasonable - as long as the wings are a decent size and not $1+/ea. ! ;)

How many wings were they serving up the RedFrog Pub for $3.33 ?? I only had them once ("Jerk" style is not a close second to Buffalo, IMHO) and they were quite small.

I'll know soon enough !

Tom

No, pizza is not delivered now.

Yes this. As long as I can still get my carafe in the morning with some fresh fruit I'm okay with this change. I will sometimes order milk and cookies for my DD before bedtime, but only occasionally and looks like that will still be free...so this doesn't bother me.

A delivery/service charge? Maybe, but to have to pay for it and then tip on top of that? Outrageous!

Since I'd be willing to pay for BUFFALO WINGS... they won't be offering that. Just like they're apparently not going to be offering hot breakfast.

Oh well - we should all still be thrilled just to be able to cruise. There are many people who couldn't fathom that thought!!

Tom

As usual...you put it so nicely...I get a little emphatic on that point you just stated and when there is just an attitude about people who serve or in service industry or now seniors..LOL..{the 55 point here is new..60 even more lines with discounts..LOL getting little breaks} getting little breaks and discounts. Do not like little increases I read about but these days there is always a shop and compare need with many details for what you may 0r may not want...with or without upcharge.

Anyway good fortune is hard work but also what came before and luck...thanks for as usual..putting it so well, we need to be aware of that...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

A delivery/service charge? Maybe, but to have to pay for it and then tip on top of that? Outrageous!

It's simple, then don't order it. Go wait in the line at the Pizza Pirate and get it for free. Your CHOICE.

I seriously doubt the free items will remain free in the long term. It's called unbundling, and the airline industry started doing it years ago. A cruise ship is an unbundling dream, with so many small included items to cut or start charging for. The airline industry wishes they had as much to unbundle as cruise ships. It adds a lot to the bottom line without raising fares. Airlines would charge you for use of a seat cushion if it made economic sense. The cruise industry will follow suit, slowly, over time.

A wide range of items are still available at no charge, including seven different hot and cold sandwiches, three salad choices, three desserts and eight beverages, along with a Continental breakfast.

So long as this is how it is implemented, I don't see any problem with this at all. Free room service menus should remain, as reportedly they will, and remain free of a service / delivery charge akin to what ncl is testing. Personally I like the idea of additional options available - especially for late night delivery when the only option would be pizza. I'm sure I'd try the chicken wings, fried shrimp and maybe some of the others after a late night out.

Yes this. As long as I can still get my carafe in the morning with some fresh fruit I'm okay with this change. I will sometimes order milk and cookies for my DD before bedtime, but only occasionally and looks like that will still be free...so this doesn't bother me.

So agree..free room service to me is a MAIN cruise perk...just a tiny connection to the fancy part of days of yore....

We can all dream and rest with that Am room service.

I don't care about those extra charges for newer complicated items...

I so hope NCL regroups..that 7.95 is too much to me, 4.95 to me is marginally ok if no tipping were required..added to a good enough cruise fare for a simple RS menu. But i do not make rules..LOL.

Congrats on making your plans fit you.

It's been changing since we started cruising. The only constant is change !

No worries, you're going to love it (no matter what it actually ends up being)!

Tom

Well said Tom. IMHO there is never a bad time to start cruising.

Let's face it, we are seeing the beginning of the end of all inclusive cruising. Does it mean I will stop cruising, No. As long as cruising is cheaper than a land vacation or near comparable, I will keep going.

It just makes me sad. I already miss the decadence I remember people describing in the 80's when they cruised that appeared to be gone by the time I started cruising after the turn of the Millennium.