Perry Grant - coming to Princess this fall

Andy

Perry has a huge following on Celebrity - I would imagine lots of them will be moving over to Princess.

I'm sure he and they will love Princess and the Royal as much as we do.

The only problem I can see is the small room performances he prefers.

LOVE, LOVE him! Big loss for Celebrity and RCL but big gain for Princess. Hopefully has a large enough room for those attending his shows. He really packed them in on Celebrity every night. People only left to eat and then came right back to enjoy him.

If only he could be on my 10/17 Regal sailing.....;)

MARAPRINCE

LOVE, LOVE him! Big loss for Celebrity and RCL but big gain for Princess. Hopefully has a large enough room for those attending his shows. He really packed them in on Celebrity every night. People only left to eat and then came right back to enjoy him.

If only he could be on my 10/17 Regal sailing.....;)

MARAPRINCE

How many people did the venue on Celebrity hold??

I can't imagine changing a cruise line - or not changing a cruise line - due to some performer. Cancelling a cruise because a specific performer won't be on the ship? Wow. People continually amaze me. How can a lounge singer possibly make or break a cruise? :eek:

I don't think he's just a lounge entertainer - he has more or less reached the status of a 'headliner' act, but not one that performs in the larger sized venues, for instance, like the Princess Theater. His style is an acquired taste, and as mentioned before, really not my style. If he was performing on a cruise I had already booked, I would not cancel just because he was aboard. I would however probably spend more time up at MUTS or in whatever venue was on the opposite side of the ship. ;)

I know Carnival Cruise Lines has an entire series of cruises where musical acts and groups perform, and people book those, as well as pay extra ($40 and up) to see the featured guests. I've looked at several of those myself.

And if I knew the Beatlemanics were going to be on a specific ship, I'd be more inclined to lean towards it rather than another ship.

People book cruises for all sorts of reasons, especially these off-season milk-runs in the Caribbean: I've booked most all of mine lately for the ship, not the destination; others book because of restaurants aboard one ship that are not on another; maybe their favorite Maitre d', Captain, or Cruise Director is in charge; or it has something specific they like. Apparently Perry Grant is a feature aboard ship that draws a particular crowd that enjoys that kind of entertainment. And it's a style not seen on a lot of cruise ships with their Broadway-style reviews, magicians, and acrobat teams, none of which I really care for.

:D

These performers on Carnival are big name artist. Not some lounge singer.

I can't imagine changing a cruise line - or not changing a cruise line - due to some performer. Cancelling a cruise because a specific performer won't be on the ship? Wow. People continually amaze me. How can a lounge singer possibly make or break a cruise? :eek:

People choose cruises for all kinds of reasons. I guess they really like the guy. I've heard Princess cruisers threaten to cancel cruises when they found out Dave Cole And EULA weren't on their Hawaii cruise.

Perry is a very interesting entertainer with a majority of folks either loving him or finding him boorish and repetitive. The man has worked cruise ships for a lot of years. Not sure why anyone would not book a cruise because of a single lounge act.

We would never quibble with Host Andy (who does a fantastic job here on CC) but Perry's own web site still shows that he will be on the Celebrity Eclipse until March 2016. Nothing posted after that date but there is also no mention of Princess.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

People choose cruises for all kinds of reasons. I guess they really like the guy. I've heard Princess cruisers threaten to cancel cruises when they found out Dave Cole And EULA weren't on their Hawaii cruise.

I will get to it eventually in my CB review, but there absolutely were people on my cruise who booked because "Bert with an "e"" was being featured in Crooners. T-shirts and all.

As long as we're on pianists, whatever happened to Eric Stone? We never cared for him, but our friends are/were totally enamoured. They always went early to sit in the front row.

He performed onone of my cruises a few years back. I didn't feel the love, although he did seem to have a dedicated little following. His song choices were oddly dull -- I often failed to recognize a single one in a set. Not much enthusiasm to his performances, either, except on the night he did Broadway trivia (which for once, I did not win, although I don't blame him for that. Much.).

I am currently sailing on the Eclipse where Perry Grant has been filling the 250 seat Celebrity Central theater to standing room only capacity every night. I think that Princess and Celebrity passengers have similar tastes and therefore I'm certain that once the Princess passengers have had the opportunity to enjoy his many talents, they too will become Perry Grant's fans.

How many people did the venue on Celebrity hold??

It was one of the smaller bars used for Meet/Greets. I remember a lot of bookcases. Seating was very limited and people lined up all along the edges and waited for someone to leave to get a seat. Some even sat on the floor.

Our first glimpse was a roll of toilet paper being passed around the room and rolled out. We had no idea what was going on! People were dancing and it looked like a lot of fun. Gradually we were able to make our way into the room and see why the room was so crowded.

MARAPRINCE

I think that Princess and Celebrity passengers have similar tastes and therefore I'm certain that once the Princess passengers have had the opportunity to enjoy his many talents, they too will become Perry Grant's fans.

On the one hand, I have seen some of the on-line videos and cannot imagine enjoying this style of entertainment. On the other hand, I find it impossible to disagree with your statement above. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

On the one hand, I have seen some of the on-line videos and cannot imagine enjoying this style of entertainment. On the other hand, I find it impossible to disagree with your statement above. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If you sail on a ship he is performing on you should check him out. The videos give a flavor for his show but it's not the same as being there in person. As I have mentioned I don't care for him, actually walked out of his shows, but he does have very loyal fans and it could turn out that you enjoy his show. It would be a boring world if everyone had the same tastes. Also the ships he performs on are huge so there is plenty of other entertainment alternatives. I would never not book a ship because he is one of the performers.

I am looking forward to sailing on Princess on Oct 11 to join Perry Grant on the Royal Princess. I'm confident that Princess customers will come to enjoy Perry just as much as Celebrity customers enjoy him every night. Perry draws large crowds every night on Celebrity and I'm sure he'll do the same on Princess. I look forward to meeting new people and developing new friendships on Princess.

Perry does have his fans. But there are also those who go running and screaming away from this man and his show. DW and I can stand him for about an hour a year, but we also know that during that hour we will hear the same show and humor that Perry has used for years ("do you have marble or granite?"). Some of his HAL fans will have to learn how to cope with a cruise line that does not allow balcony smoking.

Hank

We have also been on a couple of trips where Perry has performed.

People who "get it" will go every night, they will look forward to future cruise for him. some will go some night but the room was packed start to finish.

We enjoyed the performance and it is a performance, energetic entertaining and inclusive it makes people happy.

In some ways the slightly smaller venues contibute to the fever as there is never room so new poeple are ready to replace those that have to leave say for dinner.

I think it is quite rare on ships these days to find acts that can do that night in night out, cruise after cruise, when there are other quality options on a ship.

I remember there was one guy on Navigator of the seas a more traditional piano singer and every night he filled a lounge to bursting point, themes and quizes to make it more than just a guy at a piano.

Some of the newer ships have "names" in speciality venues that do it.

I have a feeling that since he got moved from Constellations Michaels club things were going to change.

On the one night that Perry was off and another person was playing instead, the room was empty!!! If you were lucky, may be 4 people were in the room.

Perry is a real draw and is good for the bar business in the room.

MARAPRINCE

Why people will book a cruise because of entertainer?

Well, if you compare 2 similar cruise lines, similar itineraries, similar pricing, but one has that special performer who makes your evening more fun and makes your cruising experience more enjoyable, then this is answer why people book a cruise because Perry is on board. I always thank Perry for making me laugh. Perry, wishing the very best and hopefully will see you soon on Princess.

Isabella

On the one night that Perry was off and another person was playing instead, the room was empty!!! If you were lucky, may be 4 people were in the room.

Perry is a real draw and is good for the bar business in the room.

MARAPRINCE

His type of performance doesn't interest us in the least. Some people do love it but I'd rather see a comedian.

Is Bert Stratton still around - he used to be fantastic although a few years now since I saw him perform............

Yes, but currently on vacation. We just did the Caribbean Princess TA to Southampton and the Crooners' bartenders said he left the ship the day we got on. I was told he will be back on the Caribbean Princess later this year but I don't remember the dates.