End of international night?

cruz chic

It was a bit of a hot mess for disembarkation this morning. Apparently the port didn't have power. Should be interesting to see if we leave on time. The cruise has been quite good with a few minor bumps.

I was surprised to see the international menu wasn't on. I'd met some people on the ship that I really enjoyed so we went for dinner together one last time since they left today.

For the first time ever on a cruise I skipped one formal and went to Canaletto. I'm not a huge fan but it was quite nice.

I'm on the Veendam now on a b2b and there was no international night tonight. Glad to see it go. Also no swirling napkins and baked Alaska. Not sure if I'll be back to this thread as so far I only have expensive Internet.

It was nice to finally meet you on board a DAM ship, cruz chic!

I quite enjoyed last night's dinner...it was like a breath of fresh air. What's not to like...when they have the brie in phyllo as an app on the menu?

We were home by 10:30 - with time for a stop at Dunkin Donuts for a good cup of coffee - something to be said for cruising out of our homeport!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

It was nice to finally meet you on board a DAM ship, cruz chic!

I quite enjoyed last night's dinner...it was like a breath of fresh air. What's not to like...when they have the brie in phyllo as an app on the menu?

We were home by 10:30 - with time for a stop at Dunkin Donuts for a good cup of coffee - something to be said for cruising out of our homeport!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

It was very nice to meet both of you. I'm going to miss several people I met on this cruise. It was very nice in the MDR last night. You were home before I was allowed to leave the ship!

Another cut

Cut above? Cutting edge? Cut off? Cut the mustard? Cut loose? Cut off? Cut & dried? Cutthroat? Cut the cheese?

I know it's not a well loved menu. (Probably because of the big, scary piece of paper.)

Cut it out

Not soon enough for us. Did not like the menu, did not like waving napkins in the air.

And most of all did not like care for baked Alaska or the silly parade. Reminded me of my high school graduation in the 70's.

Edited by iancal

• 4 weeks later...

We've always really enjoyed that parade: it's chance for us to publicly acknowledge and thank the staff. Many have challenging situations, work long hours on little sleep, personal stresses, and yet they always greet us with smiles. The pride they take in their work is evident and we love to cheer them on.

And we like silly--napkin waking, towel animals, etc. We used to wear the Dutch hats they placed at our at our seats.... If you can't relax on a cruise, when??? Guess we're just kids at heart!

We've always really enjoyed that parade: it's chance for us to publicly acknowledge and thank the staff. Many have challenging situations, work long hours on little sleep, personal stresses, and yet they always greet us with smiles. The pride they take in their work is evident and we love to cheer them on.

And we like silly--napkin waking, towel animals, etc. We used to wear the Dutch hats they placed at our at our seats.... If you can't relax on a cruise, when??? Guess we're just kids at heart!

You may like all this stupid stuff -- but you never said if you liked the menu????

On our 4-12-15 22 day Med. cruise we did not have International night nor were Baked Alaska's strutted around the dining room. However, a few hold overs stilled twirled their napkins over their heads....but not me, it always seemed a little silly.

So I get to twirl a dirty napkin over my head. Is that the big part of the event? Sounds a bit overrated to me.

DON

I won't miss the baked Alaska, never did like it, but I like the international dinner because there are things on the menu that I might never otherwise taste. Part of my enjoyment of travel is to discover different foods.

Napkin waving is not anything I like to do but I have no problem with the parade. I sure do miss the song Love In Any Language.

We have always booked Pinnacle last night as well, although have to admit I may still continue still it is just a great way to end our cruise :-) For our cruise next week we actually have three nights in the Pinnacle including Le Cirque.

I am agree definitely not something I will miss since it was something we were not fond of.

Same here - we book Pinnacle the last night for 2 reasons:

1. We do not like the International Menu

2. We like to end the cruise with a great dinner.

Cut above? Cutting edge? Cut off? Cut the mustard? Cut loose? Cut off? Cut & dried? Cutthroat? Cut the cheese?

I know it's not a well loved menu. (Probably because of the big, scary piece of paper.)

Cut it out

That's it: big, scary piece of paper.

This discussion reminds me of Dutch Night and how everyone hated it, until it was gone.

I must be missing something because I actually loved both.

No international night on our May 30 Veendam Bermuda. Instead there was a chef's menu with a lot of special dishes.

Also there is a new Mariner's Lunch menu -- minus my fave -- the dessert fruit tart.

Edited by shrimp56

That's it: big, scary piece of paper.

This discussion reminds me of Dutch Night and how everyone hated it, until it was gone.

I must be missing something because I actually loved both.

I enjoyed both as well. We didn't wear the hats and I've never waved my napkin. There was no requirement for "audience participation."

I did enjoy the meal, and really appreciated the chance to sample different things. Besides, if I didn't like what you ordered, the staff was all too happy to find something I did like.

No International Menu on the Pacific Coastal and Alaska on the Norrdam last month.

With the number of items on the International menu, I'm sure the chefs are much happier with the regular number of menu items.

So Shrimp, can you tell us more about the chefs menu?

It was menu items from the various Culinary Council chefs. I didn't take my camera to dinner so I don't have a record, but the dishes were a cut above most MDR menus. It felt a bit luxurious.

We had International night with the staff parading around waving napkins. However, the menu didn't seem to be very international in flavor.

That's the problem, it wasn't. I expected some good flavours but I found the food bland. It's hard to be impressed with those offerings.

We always enjoy this as it is a means to say thank you to all the staff that serve us during our cruise & its also a way for the staff to come out & take a bow. I love baked Alaska, it's a fun last night in the MDR. And another cut back, sad.

Allan & Marlane

AHOY SHIPMATE,

I dont think your glass is half empty. It is drained dry.....several times.

I didn't like the International menu but I don't see how it was a "cut" in any way.

I agree with you. They are still serving food. It's less work for the staff so that's a win. I'd rather give the staff some additional tip than wave or clap for them. It would likely mean more to them as well.